• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal founder: "I heard rumours that Sony said they're really interested in [acquiring] Square Enix Tokyo, but not the rest."

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
As soon as those tomb raider reboot sales were considered disappointing we knew something was up, for sure.

Funny how they never complained publicly about the money spent through the final fantasy xv project and how disappointed they were with the final product when it originally released
lol I remember that. it sold 3.5 million in two months and they called it a disappointment. What a bunch of hacks lol

Lognor

Banned
So Sony dropped the ball? Probably for the best. SE and Sony already have such a strong relationship. Why spend billions when not much would change? They would still release games on Xbox, is my guess. So why?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The most obvious acquisition ever but Sony is so unpredictable they will acquire some random company in China instead.

Star Trek Facepalm GIF by Naughty Dog
Jim Ryan: Hmm, should we acquire the studio who's been exclusively publishing their biggest games on our platform for 25+ years, or should we buy the studio responsible for making fucking HALO?

bitbydeath

So Sony dropped the ball? Probably for the best. SE and Sony already have such a strong relationship. Why spend billions when not much would change? They would still release games on Xbox, is my guess. So why?
I don’t think Square releases much on Xbox already, the main impact would be Nintendo if Sony bought them.

Ansphn

We've yet to actually see anything from the bungie acquisition beyond nice words
They already told us Destiny will remain multiplatform. They will have Bu gie form another studio to create Playstation exclusives I guarantee it but Destiny and Bungie heavy hitter AAA FPS will be on all consoles.

mortal

Gold Member
Even if you agree with this very dubious claim, the relevant SE games are already exclusive to Sony.

What would Nintendo miss over the past years if SE had been bought years ago? Bravely Default 2? Triangle Strategy? Chrono Cross Remaster?

Nothing significant.
Wait, I don't understand. What does Nintendo have to do with Sony potentially gaining from acquiring Square Enix talent and IP?
Sony could just as easily continue publishing Square Enix titles on other platforms and generate more revenue, rather than paying Square Enix for multiple exclusivity deals every time.
I'm trying to follow the logic of how this would be considered a waste of money, when it would likely be the opposite, were they to do it.

Last edited:
They already told us Destiny will remain multiplatform. They will have Bu gie form another studio to create Playstation exclusives I guarantee it but Destiny and Bungie heavy hitter AAA FPS will be on all consoles.

That's a live service game. Of course it was going to stay multiplatform. They weren't going to pull it just like Microsoft wasn't going to pull 76 or ESO. We're definitley not seeing another mainline Elder Scrolls or Fallout game though

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I don’t think Square releases much on Xbox already, the main impact would be Nintendo if Sony bought them.
But I bet those cheaper jrpgs (Bravely Default, etc) would still come to Switch. They've cultivated an audience there and I can't see those types of games doing well on PS5. There is a market for it and it's on Switch.

Aenima

If that also included the Square Enix mobile division it would be a great deal for Sony as they want more mobile games, and square already has alot of mobile games.

By the way Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent, will release today. Its already available to download for android and IOS.

Osaka_Boss

If they do this, Square Enxi is over. Theyve been putting out a huge number os rpgs and remasters, we can't complain. They just need to get their s together. Hope this won't come to be true

Aenima

If they do this, Square Enxi is over. Theyve been putting out a huge number os rpgs and remasters, we can't complain. They just need to get their s together. Hope this won't come to be true
Square Enxi might be over, but Square Enix will be fine.

EDMIX

But I bet those cheaper jrpgs (Bravely Default, etc) would still come to Switch. They've cultivated an audience there and I can't see those types of games doing well on PS5. There is a market for it and it's on Switch.

Yes and no. I can see those titles coming to PS as I'm not sure why Sony wouldn't and they'd do just fine with the PS market as they tend to play lots of JRPGs, I also think you'd still see them on Switch. Having a market on Switch doesn't mean no one plays them on PS as....it sounds kinda silly lol

I don't even see the logic in any of that as a fuck ton of sales records have been broken on PS that haven't been on Switch by Square, so clearly a market for JRPG exist on PS for them to break those records in the first place, so I see it as a likeliness of us simply seeing them launch on both or something.

ManaByte ManaByte I think what bitbydeath bitbydeath means is that the impact would be greater to Nintendo as they've had more success with those titles then XB has.

Last edited:

cm osi

please no.
sony is dead on japan, and they also recently just killed anything japanese they had. just don't

Buggy Loop

When your dev studio is not planning to release a game that year yet you want them to make a profit by years end. Real nani the fuck there square.

4kf9IYo.jpg

Eidos from what I heard had a good relationship with Youchi Wada. There was even a Final Fantasy being made in Montreal at the time after Deus Ex. When Yosuke Matsuda replaced him, the western FF was cancelled, citing that it’s for Japan only, at a time when FF versus XIII was in development hell and ultimately ended up as being remade from the ground as FF XV 10 years later. How much money that project bled? Did Eidos really was worth being shut down as a chance to make a FF game?

Fuck SE

PhaseJump

Banned
Phil needs to book a flight asap

Indeed.

He should go over there to buy Bandai Namco Holdings, Falcom, Sega, and Capcom while sending Greenberg over to stand in front of Square Enix HQ, rip off his shirt, and start slapping his belly until the cops show up to arrest him. The industry would feel the shockwaves from this for generations to come.

CamHostage

SQEX just published Power Washing Simulator. Not surprised that everyone is looking to get a piece of that action.

I mean, yes, this is hysterical that the company has to somehow fit promoting PowerWasher Simulator alongside Final Fantasy XVI and Dragon Quest Treasures. However, just for those people going "WTF??", here's a little bit of an answer for you:

PowerWasher Simulator is signed onto Square Enix's indie support service Square Enix Collective, the branch that did Fear Effect Sedna and tried to put Anachronox and Gex back in action through indie licensing and also have a few small games you may have heard of like Turing Test and Tokyo Dark. Square Enix Collective is operated out of the UK. Oddly, this branch did not sell over to Embracer Group (Square Enix Japan has never invested much of any visible interest in the group and I always assumed Collective was an Eidos-office project rather than anything Square or Enix even asked to exist since the ties are obvious and the involvement with Japan is minimal, but Square Enix will keep its Collective even after the Embracer buyout completes.) So expect perhaps more "How the hell is this a Square Enix game?!" moments for some time to come...

https://collective.square-enix-games.com/en_US/games/powerwash-simulator

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

There's no reason to keep them exclusive to the Switch, it would make zero sense to acquire them and keep those smaller games exclusive to a platform you don't own.

Last edited:

Stuart360

lol I remember that. it sold 3.5 million in two months and they called it a disappointment. What a bunch of hacks lol
Yeah they wanted 5mil sales in that timeframe, which was pretty ludicrous. I guess it got there in the end though as we got 2 sequels lol.
Same thing happened with Sega and Alien Isolation. They wanted 5mil sales in 6 months or something stupid like that. And alas we got no sequel to a fantastic game that deserved one.

Square gave their north american studios peanuts.
Embracer is more likely to give any of these studios a big budget.
People forget that Embracer and its investors have alot more money than Square and they want to become a household name.
If a project is greenlit its getting tons of dough.
Hope so. That saints row remake doesnt look too hot. But will wait for reviews on that one.

On square enix x sony, Jim Ryan is not so dumb as to not realised xbox is primed to become rpg central once the acquisitions pays dividents in a couple years. Now that persona and yakuza are also no longer exclusives, xbox almost got it all.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Question.....why isn't SE debunking all this acquisition talk? They did so over a year ago when these talks got out of hand.....
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-04-16-square-enix-denies-rumours-of-acquisition-activity

Also, I thought talks like this don't typically get out due to legal issues and stock prices jumping. Why do so many people know about this?
how many times you want them to debunk it ? twice a year ?

I mean, I would love to Sony make such a move. would be interesting as this to me is as big as MS owning COD.

I mean, I was really impressed when they bought Bungie. Sony was really smart with that move.

intbal

Microsoft needs to make one last request to Square Enix to have The Last Remnant added to the backwards compatibility list. The remaster never came to Xbox One, so the original is stuck on 360. Square Enix has always been very generous with their titles when it comes to the Xbox BC program. Pretty much every game they published on X360 is on there. Except for that one.

Kilau

I’m usually against these acquisitions but SE are the biggest assholes for selling timed exclusivity it would probably be less of a headache for everyone if they just get bought.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's a union that makes sense. It feels like it should have happened years ago.

And selfishly, imagine getting original new JRPG's like Triangle Strategy but with modern tech, and not having to settle on limited HD-2D and the like to compensate for the old hardware.

Rykan

Question.....why isn't SE debunking all this acquisition talk? They did so over a year ago when these talks got out of hand.....
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-04-16-square-enix-denies-rumours-of-acquisition-activity

Also, I thought talks like this don't typically get out due to legal issues and stock prices jumping. Why do so many people know about this?
Because they're not going to publically comment every time someone on Twitter spreads an acquisition rumor.

Doesn't Sony already own shares?

Iirc they bought 20% of Squaresoft to safe them from bankruptcy after FF Spirits within flopped.

Makes sense for Sony to buy SE Tokyo, considering their close ties.

Chukhopops

Wait, I don't understand. What does Nintendo have to do with Sony potentially gaining from acquiring Square Enix talent and IP?
Sony could just as easily continue publishing Square Enix titles on other platforms and generate more revenue, rather than paying Square Enix for multiple exclusivity deals every time.
I'm trying to follow the logic of how this would be considered a waste of money, when it would likely be the opposite, were they to do it.
I’m responding to an argument saying Nintendo would lose the top spot in Japan if DQ became exclusive to Sony, so that’s the base of the discussion.

If Sony buys SE and then keeps them as multiplat then of course it won’t do much to change the landscape and will just be extra revenue. Im not convinced however that smaller SE titles make that much money.

itshutton

“I heard the reason our games failed and we were sold is because somebody else did something that wasn’t our fault.” - Rumour

Top Bottom