• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eight Days cover system

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Looks awesome. Also here's the best youtube comment I've read all week:

dude said:
It totally sucks that this game was cancelled, but is there anyway your cover system could be implemented into Uncharted 2? I think the game would greatly benefit from it, as the first title's cover system was rather clunky compared to the fluidity of the cover system in this tech demo.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
:(

I think the official comment was that the London studio decided to shift its focus from 'hard core' games to 'lifestyle' games and that Eight Days did not fit into the budget for the next financial year.

:( :( :(

iceatcs

sadface.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dante said:
Woah...Never seen this. Looks nice, maybe they can use some of that for Uncharted 2 :)

By the way he moves, I think they already did in Uncharted 1. That's the very first thing that comes to your mind when u see that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Linkzg said:
That actually looks kind of cool. Why was this cancelled again?

From the comments
I think the official comment was that the London studio decided to shift its focus from 'hard core' games to 'lifestyle' games and that Eight Days did not fit into the budget for the next financial year.

To be honest, it would have been easier to accept it's cancellation if the game wasn't very good.

So is it Phil's fault?

TTP said:
By the way he moves, I think they already did in Uncharted 1. That's the very first thing that comes to your mind when u see that.

Yep, but this thing looks like it has some more animations that were not found in Uncharted.

TTP said:
From the comments

So is it Phil's fault?

Great, so to make up for it PS3 gets a slightly less crappy version of AITD?

I'm for things like eyepet, but if home caused a potentially cool game like this to go away, then fuck home.

calder

Wow that looked really fluid and well thought out. I also would like to see the multiple levels thing in other games, the really low half-crawl behind cover especially would be great, you could see how it exposes the feet/legs out perpendicular to the object to an enemy with a bit of height overlooking the character, that could be a cool cover gameplay quirk.

gogogow

Sony should not have cancelled this game.

What a waste of amazing tech.
The Eight Days car damage demo was really cool too.

The animation is even better than in Uncharted, at least the animation used for the cover system.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Thank god this was cancelled, the last thing I need is another freaking shooter. Although I'm not happy with the "lifestyle" direction the studio took either.

My Favorite part is when the wall keeps on getting smaller. Laying down on ground is fucking awesome! Also, isn't the cover animation similar to that of Killzone 2? Maybe it was implemented there?

EDIT:
Jimjagger:

To be honest, it would have been easier to accept it's cancellation if the game wasn't very good.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!

FirewalkR

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.GIF

Damn it.

Anyway, you guys know what this is, this is one of the game's devs (animation director no less) that got pissed off that it got cancelled so he decided what the hell, let's put this online and see if people ask Sony to reconsider. So, who's gonna make the petition? :D (i'm lazy)

They should've put this and Getaway on hold instead of canceling them.

sykoex said:
Thank god this was cancelled, the last thing I need is another freaking shooter. Although I'm not happy with the "lifestyle" direction the studio took either.

I agree, they could've at least started developing some WRPGs or something more people gave a damn about.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kittonwy said:
In UNCHARTED!!!111!!! controls comes first.
angry.gif
Yes.

I don't quite get all the praise for this. It doesn't seem to do anything different than Uncharted (there's few more positions he can take, but the underlying system seems the same), only it looks slower and less responsive.

Whoever thought Uncharted's cover system was clunky or whatever, must have played the game wrong.

This does look impressive however, seems like a lot of good work gone to waste now that the game is canceled.

Madman

That looks awesome. What a waste.
Marconelly said:
Yes.

I don't quite get all the praise for this. It doesn't seem to do anything different than Uncharted (there's few more positions he can take, but the underlying system seems the same), only it looks slower and less responsive.
You could slide under objects in Uncharted?

Vandiger

The premise of the game sounded interesting. Main reason for it being canceled due to no-online features is lame IMHO :p.

Top Bottom