• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

Aonuma just likes being coy and jokey. He's done this with literally every Zelda game.

Like the very first thing anyone said about the Skyward Sword art was "Hey Link has no sword, is she the sword personified?" and he was all "I DUNNO THAT SEEMS LIKE AN IDEA HUH MAYBE LINK DOESN'T EVEN USE A SWORD"

then later it was, yeah, you just get a sword

Aonuma just likes being coy and jokey. He's done this with literally every Zelda game.

Like the very first thing anyone said about the Skyward Sword art was "Hey Link has no sword, is she the sword personified?" and he was all "I DUNNO THAT SEEMS LIKE AN IDEA HUH MAYBE LINK DOESN'T EVEN USE A SWORD"

then later it was, yeah, you just get a sword

Fi was a spirit within the sword, though....

Hermii

This Zelda will include a love story between link and Zelda and they are both women. Will they be able to defeat the homophobic evil king ganon and get to marry in the end?

that's good enough for me. shucks. good night, all

Even if that's the case in the end, why would you reveal it now after just asking everyone to keep speculating and keep the discussion going and being coy about it just prior and then tell a site that was going to publish a definitive answer just a short time later. That makes no sense.

Seems way too soon to give someone the answer. Weird.

saturnine

that mmgn article is really weird. why would he go "well yeah there's Link in the trailer duh" after all this talk about maybe not even needing Link or Zelda. I guess he changed his mind or lacked the guts to do anything as big.

I still want to believe. I don't know, give us a standalone DLC à la Majora's Mask, using the same assets as the game but with femLink ?

(I'm not angry or anything, but it would have been pretty neat in the end)

spekkeh

Banned
This we can all agree on. I wonder what the decision was behind the design. Aonuma's comments lead me to support the androgynous player character theory more and more, that the appearance shouldn't matter, and regardless of the player's gender, you can pretend to be Link.

Still wish you could choose like in Pokemon though.

I think this is going a bit further than androgynous, I find him pretty effeminate. I hope I can roleplay a fabulous queen, because she's not doing it for me as a courageous adventurer.

This Zelda will include a love story between link and Zelda and they are both women. Will they be able to defeat the homophobic evil king ganon and get to marry in the end?

After the credits there will be an epilogue. Zelda cheats on Link with Malon, they adopt an orphaned Zora and live happily on Lon Lon Ranch. Link's world falls apart, she grows bitter and seeks comfort in the dark arts. Female dark Link is born.

ionitron

Man, having seeing the gifs, the images, the teaser, and whatnot several times,

I really never saw this Link as a girl at all. I just saw him as a younger teen, maybe like a 14/15 year old kid. I really thought that Link being a girl in this game was also a pretty outlandish idea, to be honest. I'm pretty glad he settled that joke.

Man, having seeing the gifs, the images, the teaser, and whatnot several times,

I really never saw this Link as a girl at all. I just saw him as a younger teen, maybe like a 14/15 year old kid. I really thought that Link being a girl in this game was also a pretty outlandish idea, to be honest. I'm pretty glad he settled that joke.

It still seems incredibly odd, given that he expressed no interest in stopping it when he brought the topic up himself to Game Informer just a few hours prior to that interview. The interview is still incredibly slow to get republished anywhere; I only know of one other site (the name of which I don't recognize) that ran this besides the original interviewer.

Top Bottom