• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

dmr87

So here's an updated list of why this is not Link:

- That's not Epona
- Character uses the bow as a right handed person (Right handed in TP WII and SS because of motion controls)
- No green tunic (meh)
- Aonuma being shifty
- Propensity for arrows vs. sword

Why the character might be a girl:

-Looks like a girl

Why the character is Link:

- It looks like Link
- It's a Zelda game

Round 2

That trailer for the new Legend of Zelda for the Wii U sure looked great, didn’t it? But what was up with Link? He wasn’t wearing his iconic green tunic or hat. Why did Link look so weird?

“No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

That’s what Legend of Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma told me when I asked him about Link’s, or whoever it is’, new appearance during an interview at Nintendo’s E3 booth. He said this with a smile and a laugh. Could the bow-wielding hero we just saw not be Link, the star of every game in the series history?

Earlier in the interview, Aonuma told me that he was always looking for ways to shake up the series conventions. We saw this in the recent A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS, which let you explore dungeons in any order you wanted while renting items from a store. But a Zelda game without Link as the main hero? That would be a huge blow to tradition.

So, who is that? The outfit actually looks like the same one Link wore in the beginning of The Wind Waker. Aonuma himself smiled when I brought up this connection. Could this new entry be tied to that universe? Of course, that doesn’t explain why this wouldn’t be Link. Maybe it’s a child of a Link we already played as, like the one from Wind Waker or Skyward Sword. Let the speculation begin.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/10/zelda-creator-teases-that-we-didnt-see-link-in-wii-u-trailer/

Syrinx

...I'm gonna guess he's just trolling us with this. Would be very interesting if it actually wasn't Link though.

Well. Since Skyward Sword, I've wondered what a Zelda game would look like if you made Zelda and Link twin sister/brother and let the player pick which one to play...

Then who... o_O

probably some other guy who wears Link's suit and is basically treated as Link

or this is actually Zelda, and we save Link *_*

royalan

Aonuma...DO IT.

DOOOOO ITTT.

I am ready to see Zelda shaken up to it's very core. It's time.

Female Link or Not-Even-Link would make me buy a Wii U to play this.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't know, when I saw the footage I thought it was Zelda. Then reading comments over the internet I kind of convinced myself it was Link.

Thoraxes

It's happening.

6J5BNoo.gif

The gender discussion has been ongoing about the character shown for a little bit now, and all the theories are interesting.

To hear it from the man himself though, holy fuck.

Top Bottom