• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

Heroman

Banned
Not gonna lie, I will be pretty disappointed if there's no Link. Like playing a Metroid game without Samus.

I do think the person in the trailer is a girl though. Possibly a Hylian girl raised by the Gerudo? Link's long lost twin sister? Multiple playable characters?

Gonna be a long wait for more info.

Link will be the main hero in the game. Also we are gonna get more info soon.

But Zelda is a sorceress. Not saying I wouldn't ever want to play as Zelda, I definitely do. But if we got a main game wth playable Zelda, I'd want to play AS Zelda...controlling the elements and casting spells on dat ass, all while wearing permanent Annoyed Face.

I wouldn't want to play Zelda as some type of Link-Lite.

I mean, we don't actually see the character with a sword throughout the entire trailer do we? I just see the bow/arrows plus the bow attack that they do at the end, which is a pretty signature attack of Zelda in a lot of past games (using light arrows on Ganon).

DVCY201

Confirmed. Aonuma is learning how to do bait and switch from Kojima, heck I bet Kojima is writing the story even. Clones Confirmed.

joking, obviously

Still confused till this day why the game is called "Legend of Zelda" but you play as a dude named Link!

This game will finally end my confusion once and for all and live up to the namesake of the title!

Moonlight

Banned
A friend tossed this out to me as a joke, but damn it makes sense.

This is Aryll, Link's sister in Wind Waker. This is a Wind Waker sequel.

Madao

Not gonna lie, I will be pretty disappointed if there's no Link. Like playing a Metroid game without Samus.

I do think the person in the trailer is a girl though. Possibly a Hylian girl raised by the Gerudo? Link's long lost twin sister? Multiple playable characters?

Gonna be a long wait for more info.

there's been more than 10 Links already. it's not the same as Samus which is the same person in the whole series.
i can accept a new hero if he/she is interesting enough. regular Links are not very deep characters anyway.

Nanashrew

Banned
Thinking about it more if this game is further along in the Wind Waker timeline this makes much more sense. We have no connection to the past anymore, we have a new Hyrule, a land that found trains and adapted technology into everyday things like that arrow the character used in the Zelda trailer. Wind Waker is more of an advancing world than the standard mainline. This new character is not bound by reincarnation or blood descendance but an appointed hero for some reason or another.

I am also very curious if this character may also be a girl. I kept seeing a lot of people talking about that and it would be interesting to see.

To me Wind Waker timeline can give the team far more wiggle room to try more newer conventions than the mainline because of the major differences in lore and locations.

Not

Banned
penny-dance-party.gif

Mind if I join?

tH49PjR.gif

EDIT:

Link will be the main hero in the game. Also we are gonna get more info soon.

The five stages begin

Village

Looks like a shit ton of people ain't never played kingdom hearts.

Ya'll going to be disappointed as shit if its a roxas situation.

And zelda ain't to far removed from injecting needlessly convoluted mess into its stories.

Kaljinyu

Please don't.
No create your character.
No Zelda.
No Fem-Link.

Just Link please.

I'll second that emotion, in the recurrent debate of "Did This Game Ruin Zelda Forever", I'm on the side that's more for keeping things the same. I like getting new things, but I don't like getting rid of the old, good things we have. Don't shake Zelda to its core, there's a lot of good stuff about Zelda, a lot of tried and true traditions, that I don't want thrown out for the sake of being edgy or revolutionary.

Weren't they talking about some sort of multi-player elements in this? It has me thinking the trailer character could be your partner char possibly. God I hope this Zelda game doesn't have co-op...

kirblar

You know, given the Skyrim/Open-World influences, what if you just straight up pick your gender (Link or his sister) at the start?

Itachi87

I love Zelda, but the story has always been half-ass in every game. It would be fantastic if they let you create your own character

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I like the suggestion that the bow is a clue.

Zelda is always using arrows of light...

Cuburt

Oh shiii.... remember Aonuma saying they were experimenting with multiplayer for this game?

Remember Battle Quest for Nintendoland?

What if they wanted to keep both the bow and arrow/gamepad gameplay as well as the swinging sword controls?

What if the game features co-op with both Zelda/mysterious female protagonist and Link wielding a sword???

:O

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
But Zelda is a sorceress. Not saying I wouldn't ever want to play as Zelda, I definitely do. But if we got a main game wth playable Zelda, I'd want to play AS Zelda...controlling the elements and casting spells on dat ass, all while wearing permanent Annoyed Face.

I'd definitely welcome more magic attacks in Zelda games.

Jofamo

Posting again for a new page;

If this is Link, then where is his sword? I've combed the trailer, and this protagonist is only carrying a bow and arrow, which as I said, seems to be the female weapon of choice these days.

When has Link ever been shown without a sword?

Gartooth

It doesn't look just like Link which is exactly why it's throwing everyone off...

Similarities, sure, but it looks more like a female character.

Not really. Maybe it is the artstyle or ponytail throwing people off, but that character looks a lot like Link. Maybe it is an original character, because I really doubt that character is Princess Zelda.

What makes you think there's going to be a create a character?
The game seems to be taking a lot from Skyrim and other open-world games.

It could simply be a female protagonist, and even if it is create a character, so what? It's not like Link has every done anything memorable in any of the games, he's not a fleshed out character, he's basically an avatar for the player.

Link is totally a avatar, I mean that explains why he's gotten more and more emotions with practically every game since ALttP, or why several of the in-game snippets refer to him as "Link" and not "you", or even why Nintendo has come up with a different reason to explain his name that is completely different from the original reason. No he's totally a blank slate with no established character outside of just being blank, he definitely isn't on the same level as Samus or Mario when it comes to being a character with no personality or depth but still a character and not an avatar. /s

I like Zelda, I liked all of them before ALBW. I don't like Skyrim or any other generic high fantasy game that has useless character creation. I want Link, and I want him to be like he was in TP, WW, or SS. I want a good story with a main charater who interacts with the story and doesn't just stand there being refer to as "you" or "the hero", character customization combats this and frankly has no place in Zelda. Finally, I hate this notion that every tradition of Zelda needs to change, I'm honestly actually worried I may end up not liking the game.

Ito

First I troll half GAF slightly altering Link's appearance so he looked like a girl.

Then Aonuma joins me on my quest to confuse everyone on the fucking internet.

An interesting day, indeed.

A game that details a ganondorf who is trying to resist the strings of fate that corrupt his every reincarnation? That has amazing story potential.

That is what I'm saying.ganon before he became corrupt would be pretty sick (has body completely changes throughout the story) lol

Ashodin

People who were saying Link has an established history or some shit are really reaching. Like other people said, he's an avatar, a vehicle for the story. You rise up as "Link" or whoever you create and save the day. It's possible that you can make your character now, and be even more avatar than before.

Wazzy

Banned
No it looks EXACTLY like male link. It's not throwing "everyone" off, I saw it and immediately saw him as Link, no questions asked.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/323/0/b/skyward_sword_link__by_blurreh-d4gnub7.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/277/2/4/link___skyward_sword_by_vacobs10-d5grihr.jpg

http://hiddentriforce.com/wp-content/gallery/twilightprincess/zelda-twilight-princess-screen-2.jpg

http://playeressence.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Link_Artwork_1_A_Link_to_the_Past.jpg

Look at the face and hair. It looks absolutely nothing like Zelda. He looks identical to Link. This is basic character design here, how in the heck are people seeing this as Zelda?

None of those look exactly like this character. Similar, yes but exactly? No.

Even the horse probably isn't Epona. It's got a black mane.

And stop assuming everyone thinks it's Zelda. People are hoping it is but many others think it's either a new female lead or Links sister.

Syrinx

First I troll half GAF slightly altering Link's appearance so he looked like a girl.

Then Aonuma joins me on my quest to confuse everyone on the fucking internet.

An interesting day, indeed.

Maybe your photoshops were the real screenshots after all.

EulaCapra

Zelda already has Sheik and Tetra under her belt as alternate identities. And soon she will add "Main Protagonist" to that list.

PLEASE PLEASE

Mory Dunz

Not sure if this means anything...but if it does...

I'm pretty sure it's not Zelda. Because it still looks like "adult Link", artstyle changes notwithstanding.

Could be a choose girl/boy. Or Link's sister or something.

Cool either way. All I care about is gameplay.

- Not sure how being a girl would be revolutionary or be the "shakeup Zelda needs" at its core. If Link being a girl or boy doesn't matter and wounldn't change the game because he's a blank avatar, then how would being a girl be a shakeup to the game. Unless being a girl would shut up your helper. :)

- Also, after watching the first 30 minutes of X, it's nice to see a game just start you in the middle of nowhere and start fighting.

Wasn't one of the things they were reconsidering according to one ND the idea that Zelda is a game you play alone? What if there's Link Zelda coop?

Top Bottom