• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

I'd say if this was a girl and not Link, it would probably be Link's sister or something. I think this being Zelda would be weird considering she would look so much alike to previous designs of Link.

I guess that explains why she's being chased and is wearing a cloak - hiding her identity (atleast trying too) to look like link..cause honestly who would want to go after link after years of beating evils ass.

I honestly cannot believe there is still a debate. That's a girl.

That was the whole point of the reveal with the cloak flying away and everything. We all expected the same male Link we always get but the cloak flies away and "Oh my god! That's a girl!"

Now whether that is a Zelda, which I personally believe (Prince Link anyone?), or Linkette is up for debate.

But whether or not that character is female should not even be on the table.

LegendX48

I'm totally down for that.

Here's a list of reasons this could be someone other than Link.

- Right handed (that's pretty huge unless motion controls are back
which they aren't
)
- Uses a bow primarily
- No green tunic (I'm kinda eh on this one)
- Looks like a girl
- Earrings in both ears when I believe Link only has one in his left ear.

Am I missing anything?

iirc Link has had earings on both ears in the past few games so that point is sort of moot.

co1onel

The ponytail is what's getting me the most. That and the horse clearly not being Epona.

Big Boss got a ponytail too
image.png
#ChicoisQuietisSnake

Heroman

Banned

That was the whole point of the reveal with the cloak flying away and everything. We all expected the same male Link we always get but the cloak flies away and "Oh my god! That's a girl!"

Now whether that is a Zelda, which I personally believe (Prince Link anyone?), or Linkette is up for debate.

They would never change links gender. He will be the main hero in this game.

AppleMIX

It clearly is on the table because people just assumed it was a effeminate link.

-Kees-

One thing I haven't seen brought up yet: if this isn't Link then having it be another male protagonist doesn't make much sense to me. It's a complete lateral move to swap one blank male avatar with another.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
the thing that makes me think it's not Link is that not only is the character using a bow, there is no shield or sword in evidence anywhere on that character's person or horse. It's JUST the bow.

Then who... o_O

probably some other guy who wears Link's suit and is basically treated as Link

or this is actually Zelda, and we save Link *_*

1.) S/He is not wearing Link's tunic. It's like a blue shirt and chinos, not the typical green tunic.

2.) You don't know how much I would adore that!

If it was supposed to be that obvious than why doesn't Aonuma just say it's a girl?

I honestly cannot believe there is still a debate. That's a girl..

How can you not believe it? You seriously can't comprehend how a troll response like that plus a character who has always been a bit on the feminine side could cause some people to believe it could still be a male?

It hasn't been confirmed and every other title has starred a male. I'm not saying it's impossible for this character to be a female, but this line of thinking is a bit off considering there is zero confirmation and no evidence to back it up outside of looks. I think speculation is still warranted don't you?

-Horizon-

Someone said they saw the sword and shield on the horse. I watched the video several times and I still don't see it.

I don't ever recall Link being showcased in any previous Zelda game outside of Crossbow Training using a Bow as a main weapon.

Also the fact that the Arrows of these bows can shine with some kind of Light energy, like how the Mastersword can fire a beam of energy is interesting enough.

Isn't Zelda known for using an "Arrow of Light"

This is picking at my brain. I need more details.

I mean even in the earliest parts of the game Link usually gets a basic sword and shield before he obtains the Bow.

The fact they are showcasing this character using a Bow that can fire arrows that shine with light, is giving me the impression that could possibly be Zelda.

I know Link has used Silver Arrows before, but never shot off an arrow of light without Zelda's help, so I'm just going by what I see.

The shield can be seen in the screenshot below in a post DSN2K made. The sword is on the other side. You can see the handle, hilt, and sheath on the other in a couple of frames before they jump off the horse. It is not the quiver. The quiver is on their back.
Here are some screenshots of the sword.

epMsgBj.jpg

The light arrow is in front of the scabbard, it is held separately from the other arrows. You can tell based on the design of the head of the arrow that it is the one used at the end of the trailer.

zrsgLRb.jpg

You can see the sword again more clearly as the pull the single light magic arrow away.

AnwgRyw.jpg

You can see the handle of the sword right above the saddle at the bottom there.

BZO.png

anything from this ? can see the saddle and Shield.

To fight an enemy that is in the water, bow and arrow from a distance to reveal the weak point is a better choice.

Sorry for the bad quality screen shots, I'm on my phone and got them from the YouTube app.

Mononoke

Banned
People who were saying Link has an established history or some shit are really reaching. Like other people said, he's an avatar, a vehicle for the story. You rise up as "Link" or whoever you create and save the day. It's possible that you can make your character now, and be even more avatar than before.

Honestly, at this point I don't see why Link couldn't be female. For me, the idea behind Link has always been that the hero always rises in every generation. It's not the same person every time (obviously it can't be). Given how the game has played out using Link over the years, why couldn't one generation be a female?

Soroc

The shield can be seen in the screenshot below in a post DSN2K made. The sword is on the other side. You can see the handle, hilt, and sheath on the other in a couple of frames before they jump off the horse. It is not the quiver. The quiver is on their back.

epMsgBj.jpg

The light arrow is in front of the scabbard, it is held separately from the other arrows. You can tell based on the design of the head of the arrow that it is the one used at the end of the trailer.

zrsgLRb.jpg

You can see the sword again more clearly as the pull the single light magic arrow away.

AnwgRyw.jpg

To fight an enemy that is in the water, bow and arrow from a distance to reveal the weak point is a better choice.

Sorry for the bad quality screen shots, I'm on my phone and got them from the YouTube app.

Nice find! The sword is clearly there.

epMsgBj.jpg

zrsgLRb.jpg

AnwgRyw.jpg

Nice catch. I saw the shield but not the sword.

Heroman

Banned
\

Why does the Hero of Time have to be male? There's no reason. Other than tradition. Which Aonuma has made explicitly clear he's trying to throw out the window.

Because they would never change the gender of one of their biggest characters. It like making Mario a girl it never gonna happen.

Female Link would be a refreshing take on the franchise and I would welcome it. But regardless male/female shouldn't matter as Link is an avatar for each individual game, just like Zelda and to a lesser extent Ganon.

Laconic

Banned
Elves are not delicate, slender demihumans. Not in the slightest. Clearly there is overwhelming precedence favoring this character being female.

LegendX48

Zoom in on Link's face.
He's got a little eyelash point on the same parts of his eyes on each one but the placement is different from that of this supposed new character. The upper placement on the new character in the reveal kind of changes the overall vibe in a subtle way and just enough to make it look straight up female to me.

jakomocha

I don't know, I can't tell if it was Zelda or Link or someone else. I think they'd keep Link in green if it were him though, which is why I feel inclined to believe it was someone else.

Maybe there are multiple protagonists this time around?

EDIT:
Detective Gaf, any hints in this scene which was shown off in the Nintendo Direct?:
screen_shot_2014_06_10_at_9_09_55_pm_by_jakomocha-d7lvts5.png

Zooming in on the character is too blurry for me.

the thing that makes me think it's not Link is that not only is the character using a bow, there is no shield or sword in evidence anywhere on that character's person or horse. It's JUST the bow.

Also, this character is using the bow right-handed. They seem to really pay attention to the fact that Link is left-handed in every game too.

It has probably already been said, but if that's Link where is his sword?
No sword = no penis!

Plus Zelda has typically always used a bow in her fighting scenes in the games.

Laieon

Imagine if it ends up still being a male after this excitement/speculation. Then Nintendo will have disappointed fans twice (gay marriage and now this)

I would legitimately be disappointed if they changed Link's gender for no reason, sorry if that bothers you all. I would still buy the game, I would still enjoy it (assuming it's more Wind Waker and less Skyward Sword), but to me, Link will always be a guy.

I would much, much rather they have a playable Zelda (or Aryll) or create a new franchise based around a female hero if they're wanting to be more progressive.

Laconic

Banned
I don't know, I can't tell if it was Zelda or Link or someone else. I think they'd keep Link in green if it were him though, which is why I feel inclined to believe it was someone else.

Maybe there are multiple protagonists this time around?

Maybe it is Link after a couple of armor upgrades? ^__-

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Elves are not delicate, slender demihumans. Not in the slightest. Clearly there is overwhelming precedence favoring this character being female.

Sarcasm, right?

I'm pretty sure this is Link, and male Link at that, probably in his early/mid teens.

But I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Top Bottom