• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “We know you guys are thinking about Skyward Sword for Switch, right?”

Yagami_Sama

This one will be tricky to predict how it will perform in terms of sales and critic. I mean, I like the game back on Wii days, FI talked a lot of unnecessary things and the motion controllers sometimes make me want to throw the Wii motes through the window.

Considering that, during the development of breath of the Wild, they test some stuff from this game on Switch, like how the game will look in HD,I think that they will release this game soon.

The trickiest part of this is, how it will control. But since the Switch have the Joycons, it could be easier to adapt the motion controllers, than traditional controllers. And this is besides the point, but I thought that first they would release Twilight Princess and Skyworld Sword for Switch and them this one.

And I had a very very low expectation that since this year is the 20th anniversary of Ocarina Of time, that they might remake the game from scratch.

kunonabi

But the game would suck without it since you could just grab whatever is strong and storm Ganon's castle. It's why I don't understand people complaining about it or the stamina meter, those are systems put in place to force to actually do something with the freedom the game provides you. The game is about preparation and without those systems in place you don't have a game, you have a 15 minute cruise to the final boss.

That's why I mocked it saying it's a meme, it's a shortsighted complaint. While it's valid and obviously people are allowed their opinion, the thing is if you don't like it then the game isn't for you. This isn't something that could be removed from the game and it would improve. It would fall apart. It's a core element of the experience and like I said, not liking it is fine, but it's not an isolated thing that could be removed.

The game is already compromised as it is to encourage immediate speed runs so being able to grab a stronger weapon early doesn't actually change that much and there other ways to address the problem that don't revolve around breaking weapons.

The game is already compromised as it is to encourage immediate speed runs so being able to grab a stronger weapon early doesn't actually change that much and there other ways to address the problem that don't revolve around breaking weapons.

Which ways? And it's unreasonable to expect the average gamer to have the uncanny skills of a speedrunner and being able to grab a stronger weapon early absolutely breaks the game. Like I said, the idea is forcing you to search the map for means to destroy Ganon. You don't have to do that when you find an above average weapon early and take it to him. It trivializes every fight.

iconmaster

Banned
It's funny that in an ostensibly Skyward-focused thread, folks want to concentrate on the one controversial design decision in Breath of the Wild rather than the multiple profound flaws in Skyward Sword:

- Fi
- dowsing
- corridor-style overworld
- revisiting those corridors repeatedly
- Fi
- semi-reliable (at best) sword control
- fighting the Imprisoned repeatedly
- Tadtones
- Fi

It definitely had its good points, though. I enjoyed upgrading equipment. I thought the Thunderhead was cool. Loved everything about the Ancient Basin. In general though, I regretted the time I'd spent on it by the end. Not a game I'll ever, ever play again.

kunonabi

It's funny that in an ostensibly Skyward-focused thread, folks want to concentrate on the one controversial design decision in Breath of the Wild rather than the multiple profound flaws in Skyward Sword:

- Fi
- dowsing
- corridor-style overworld
- revisiting those corridors repeatedly
- Fi
- semi-reliable (at best) sword control
- fighting the Imprisoned repeatedly
- Tadtones
- Fi

It definitely had its good points, though. I enjoyed upgrading equipment. I thought the Thunderhead was cool. Loved everything about the Ancient Basin. In general though, I regretted the time I'd spent on it by the end. Not a game I'll ever, ever play again.

That's because I mostly find those flaws to be incredibly overblown.
Dowsing was optional
I have no idea what you're talking about in reference to corridors
Sword control was perfectly reliable for me,
You only fought the imprisoned a couple times and they're super quick sequences that build Groose's arc and add some immediacy to the premise that you're supposed to be under a time limit.
I loved the tadtones since SS has my favorite swimming controls ever so any chance to use them is fine by me.

Fi mostly bothered me with the low battery nagging and she spoiled one puzzle but that actually turned out to be my fault so I can't hold that against her. She doesn't get much opportunity to show off her personality so she ends up looking worse compared to Midna since I think we kind of expected a similar dynamic. She is a weak point but not to the point that it really hampers my enjoyment of the game. Hell, the one bit of BotW that actually elicited an emotional support from me was her so she must have done something right.

SS floats between 1 or on my Zelda rankings depending on my mood but there's no real point in going into it since this board that has become even more anti Wii than it was before the exodus.

Which ways? And it's unreasonable to expect the average gamer to have the uncanny skills of a speedrunner and being able to grab a stronger weapon early absolutely breaks the game. Like I said, the idea is forcing you to search the map for means to destroy Ganon. You don't have to do that when you find an above average weapon early and take it to him. It trivializes every fight.

The game gives you two overpowered defensive techniques that make every battle easily winnable as long as you can do enough damage and the food/health system is also skewed towards alleviating the challenge of having fewer hearts. The Ganon fight gives you unlimited resources for the first part so you don't really need to prepare jack for it. The second part is also a total f'n joke that is essentially a walkover and a gigantic departure from how the series usually handles them. They quite clearly wanted you to be able to beat the game immediately and the rest of the game suffers because of it. It would be much more impressive feat if it actually required you to dive into the mechanics and or/sequence break it.

Last edited:

Caayn

But the game would suck without it since you could just grab whatever is strong and storm Ganon's castle. It's why I don't understand people complaining about it or the stamina meter, those are systems put in place to force to actually do something with the freedom the game provides you. The game is about preparation and without those systems in place you don't have a game, you have a 15 minute cruise to the final boss.

That's why I mocked it saying it's a meme, it's a shortsighted complaint. While it's valid and obviously people are allowed their opinion, the thing is if you don't like it then the game isn't for you. This isn't something that could be removed from the game and it would improve. It would fall apart. It's a core element of the experience and like I said, not liking it is fine, but it's not an isolated thing that could be removed.
Thank you for degrading my opinion and experience to a meme and short sightedness.

The degradation system demands too much attention. I've put a lot of time in the game simply because I, normally, really enjoy Zelda titles. I didn't want to to brush it off without giving it a decent chance but the degradation system single handedly did cause me to drop the game. I'd happily continue my playthrough if I have the option to play without the degradation.

The degradation never caused me to experiment with the mechanics, why would I? If I defeat enemies the chancers are high that I get the exact same weapons back that I'd lose during the battle. During combat it'd interrupt the flow due to the constant weapon switching when fighting multiple or though enemies. I ended up avoiding combat all together, because why would I even engage in it. It was not fun as the flow was constantly interrupted and there was practically no reward for it.

I even got to the point where I was unable to defeat a boss ( Ganon in the desert great beast) simply because I kept running out of weapons midway through the battle. Not because I had trouble avoiding his attacks, damaging him or had insufficient health but because my weapons would run out even when I entered the battle with a full inventory.

BotW is constantly praised for its freedom while at the same time it punishes you for not playing the "correct way".

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
That's because I mostly find those flaws to be incredibly overblown.
I have no idea what you're talking about in reference to corridors

Here's Lanaryu:

lanelle810.png

I don't want to argue with you point by point; there's no reason for you not to enjoy Skyward Sword. I just think we're being a bit too easy on Skyward and a bit too hard on Breath of the Wild here.

kunonabi

Here's Lanaryu:

I don't want to argue with you point by point; there's no reason for you not to enjoy Skyward Sword. I just think we're being a bit too easy on Skyward and a bit too hard on Breath of the Wild here.

That isn't really any different from the other 3D Zelda maps aside from WW and BotW. People seem to just hate the fact that aren't a couple of extra corridors connecting the regions together which seems massively petty to me.

Thank you for degrading my opinion and experience to a meme and short sightedness.

The degradation system demands too much attention. I've put a lot of time in the game simply because I, normally, really enjoy Zelda titles. I didn't want to to brush it off without giving it a decent chance but the degradation system single handedly did cause me to drop the game. I'd happily continue my playthrough if I have the option to play without the degradation.

The degradation never caused me to experiment with the mechanics, why would I? If I defeat enemies the chancers are high that I get the exact same weapons back that I'd lose during the battle. During combat it'd interrupt the flow due to the constant weapon switching when fighting multiple or though enemies. I ended up avoiding combat all together, because why would I even engage in it. It was not fun as the flow was constantly interrupted and there was practically no reward for it.

I even got to the point where I was unable to defeat a boss ( Ganon in the desert great beast) simply because I kept running out of weapons midway through the battle. Not because I had trouble avoiding his attacks, damaging him or had insufficient health but because my weapons would run out even when I entered the battle with a full inventory.

BotW is constantly praised for its freedom while at the same time it punishes you for not playing the "correct way".

Calling it a meme was needlessly aggressive and I apologize for it. However, calling it short-sighed isn't offensive and stand by it. The degrading weapons are a core part of the exploration and serve as a nice road block for you to progress your journey gradually. The stronger weapons are further away from the starting area, but you can't just rush there since you wouldn't make it alive. It forces you to at least fuck about where you are a bit before moving on. It's actually why open world games feel so stale, you have no reason to come back to any area unless there's a mission there and the only reason you have to stay there is to do the mission. That's it. But then the map is wasted. Why having so much space when there's nothing to keep you there?

If you were unable to defeat a boss because you ran out of weapons, I'm sorry, you just prepared poorly and brought a bunch of damaged or weak weapons. The game punishes you for playing poorly and yes, every single game should do that. Not playing the "correct way" should keep you from progressing the game. For many games, it's about mastering the combat system. Doing more damage than you take. For BOTW it isn't. It's about preparation. And again, if you don't like it's fine, but weapon degradation is a key element of the game and its removal wouldn't upgrade the experience. It would mess up the balance created by the devs.

The game gives you two overpowered defensive techniques that make every battle easily winnable as long as you can do enough damage and the food/health system is also skewed towards alleviating the challenge of having fewer hearts. The Ganon fight gives you unlimited resources for the first part so you don't really need to prepare jack for it. The second part is also a total f'n joke that is essentially a walkover and a gigantic departure from how the series usually handles them. They quite clearly wanted you to be able to beat the game immediately and the rest of the game suffers because of it. It would be much more impressive feat if it actually required you to dive into the mechanics and or/sequence break it.

They quite clearly didn't want you to do that but gave you the option to do so if you're highly skilled. And by highly skilled I mean a speedrunner. The average gamer won't clear the game right away and the biggest hurdle is weapon durability. If you could find a stick and run it to Ganon, you'd be able to beat him but it'd be terribly slow and it would result in a terrible experience.

You haven't answered my question though. Which systems could be in place to keep you from storming Ganon's castle and that would also allow you to explore the map in any order you want? If you don't restrict freedom just a tiny bit you don't have any structure at all and you end up with Minecraft. I fail to see a more elegant way they could have done so while keeping up the exploration incentive.

Thurible

This is the part where hyperbole costed your credibility
I thought BOTW was good but it didn't act like a zelda game. There was a lot to explore but not a lot of direction and substance IMO. They also got rid of some of the core mechanics of a zelda game like getting new items in a dungeon and learning how it works.

iconmaster

Banned
I thought BOTW was good but it didn't act like a zelda game. There was a lot to explore but not a lot of direction and substance IMO.

I suspect your first Zelda was perhaps Ocarina of Time, or an even later entry?

If you've been with the series since the beginning, it's actually the most "Zelda" Zelda in a loooong time.

Handholding was not the norm until Navi.

stickkidsam

You can already go kick Ganon's ass from the start of the game. Hyrule Castle is LOADED with treasure, so you can stock up pretty easily. Just like with any other creature in the game, you have everything you need to beat whatever comes at ya. If the player had weapons that didn't break, it'd be just as difficult because there's more to the fight than having a bunch of weapons.

I enjoy the weapon breaking system, but I don't think it's enough on its own. For one, if the only reason to fight is to get more weapons, then there's on much reason left when you're all stocked up with good gear. Then when you do fight, it sucks getting some ultra cool weapon only for it to break like everything else. Sure you can go get another one, but that cheapens its value. I think having some unbreakable end game equipment the player can get would really help. Or perhaps have some equipment that can be "upgraded" by the goddess statues or the Great Fairies. The Master Sword was the one thing I thought wouldn't break and even that shatters after a bit (yes it regenerates but that's just padding). The combat is fun, yes, but it gets repetitive with little reward. Everything from the enemy materials to the weapons dropped revolve around that combat loop.

Ultimately, I think Breath of the Wild did a great job establishing a new (and incredibly cool) foundation for the series to jump off of. Now it needs to be fleshed out. Shrines are great but become reptetive, Korok Seeds expanding inventory is cool but cheapens the few consequences there are, the huge world is gorgeous and fun but could use more variety (which is no easy feat when the world is so fuck off huge); the list goes on.

All that said, I love Breath of the Wild and I can't wait to see what's next.

kunonabi

Calling it a meme was needlessly aggressive and I apologize for it. However, calling it short-sighed isn't offensive and stand by it. The degrading weapons are a core part of the exploration and serve as a nice road block for you to progress your journey gradually. The stronger weapons are further away from the starting area, but you can't just rush there since you wouldn't make it alive. It forces you to at least fuck about where you are a bit before moving on. It's actually why open world games feel so stale, you have no reason to come back to any area unless there's a mission there and the only reason you have to stay there is to do the mission. That's it. But then the map is wasted. Why having so much space when there's nothing to keep you there?

If you were unable to defeat a boss because you ran out of weapons, I'm sorry, you just prepared poorly and brought a bunch of damaged or weak weapons. The game punishes you for playing poorly and yes, every single game should do that. Not playing the "correct way" should keep you from progressing the game. For many games, it's about mastering the combat system. Doing more damage than you take. For BOTW it isn't. It's about preparation. And again, if you don't like it's fine, but weapon degradation is a key element of the game and its removal wouldn't upgrade the experience. It would mess up the balance created by the devs.

They quite clearly didn't want you to do that but gave you the option to do so if you're highly skilled. And by highly skilled I mean a speedrunner. The average gamer won't clear the game right away and the biggest hurdle is weapon durability. If you could find a stick and run it to Ganon, you'd be able to beat him but it'd be terribly slow and it would result in a terrible experience.

You haven't answered my question though. Which systems could be in place to keep you from storming Ganon's castle and that would also allow you to explore the map in any order you want? If you don't restrict freedom just a tiny bit you don't have any structure at all and you end up with Minecraft. I fail to see a more elegant way they could have done so while keeping up the exploration incentive.

It doesnt really take speedrunner skills or strategies which is my point. Speedrunners basically dissect the game in order to sequence break, glitch, or use advanced self-made techniques to make it past defined roadblocks. BotW doesnt have that it just has a much bumpier road. Which by itself is also ok but the problem is they also give certain advantages to make the road less bumpy which end up trivializing the game in other ways. The game is dumbed down to accommodate a minimal set of skills that don't take effort aside from timing and persistence. The rest of the game's bosses, puzzles, etc are never designed to where you need anything else which makes all the exploration mostly moot. That's the actual problem with the game in general as exploring the world is a case of diminishing returns since it's all mostly unnecessary as it is.

The game just feels completely backwards in design because of this. Going to Ganon should be possible because the player is crazy dedicated not because the rest of the game is making huge allowances for it.

As far as specific things they could do to fix it there isn't much they could do without reworking the weapons, nerfing the defensive techniques and actually designing better boss battles. Almost all the weapons and gear you earn are basically just simple resources for being able to do damage or guard it. Hell, even doing the beasts is mostly just to lower his health instead of actually changing the dynamic of the fight.

At the very least the second part of the fight should have been a sprawling battle throughout all of Hyrule where the reprogrammed beasts come to your aid and your knowledge of the terrain can be used to your advantage. At least then a straight run would leave you at more of a disadvantage.

Essentially they should have designed the rest of the game first and then the make the smallest of adjustments for allowing a speed run.

As for your stick comment how exactly is that all that much different than it is now? Does picking up multiples sticks because they keep breaking any less of a slog?

epicnemesis

SS was hell for me, I'm not sure if its because I'm a lefty but the motion controls never worked. I just brute forced my way through every duel with a shit ton of fairies if I recall. It's by far the most disappointing 3D Zelda, and I only beat it because its Zelda and I can't not beat a Zelda game.

As for the people breaking weapons in BOTW, how far in are you? I remember that being an issue on the plateau and then never worrying about it again, my issue then became "I have too many good weapons and I don't know which to use." Also you don't even need weapons. Just use your powers, its more fun than the combat anyways.

Thurible

I suspect your first Zelda was perhaps Ocarina of Time, or an even later entry?

If you've been with the series since the beginning, it's actually the most "Zelda" Zelda in a loooong time.

Handholding was not the norm until Navi.
My first game officially was Spirit Tracks, though I did play a demo of Zelda NES in SSB Brawl beforehand. After that I was hooked on the series. I have played every game except four swords adventure on the gamecube and triforce heroes. I have played and beaten the original, but personally I find the lack of direction trying at times. Some spots and secrets seem totally random and require bombing and burning just about every wall or bush you see. You could also go into a dungeon and miss the dungeon item as well. Though I managed to beat it, the same could not be said for Zelda II.

I kind of like how the series went after the nes originals. Didn't feel as hard or random.

I do like exploring when there is a map and waypoints. I loved sailing in Windwaker and discovering new islands, but I never got lost nor felt unsure of what I was supposed to do (and I like that). BOTW was good, but I don't want them to follow up in that direction personally.

iconmaster

Banned
I have played and beaten the original, but personally I find the lack of direction trying at times.

That’s fair. That’s a balance I think they’ve been working out ever since. LoZ and SS form the two ends of the spectrum, with every other Zelda falling somewhere in between.

I think BotW nearly nails it but still over-explains toward the beginning.

I loved sailing in Windwaker and discovering new islands, but I never got lost nor felt unsure of what I was supposed to do (and I like that)

Yup, I loved the sailing.

BOTW was good, but I don't want them to follow up in that direction personally.

I think that’s all but guaranteed. Between BotW’s critical reception and sales success, Nintendo would be mad to abandon the new foundation. Things will get tweaked, though, surely.

You can already go kick Ganon's ass from the start of the game. Hyrule Castle is LOADED with treasure, so you can stock up pretty easily. Just like with any other creature in the game, you have everything you need to beat whatever comes at ya. If the player had weapons that didn't break, it'd be just as difficult because there's more to the fight than having a bunch of weapons.

I enjoy the weapon breaking system, but I don't think it's enough on its own. For one, if the only reason to fight is to get more weapons, then there's on much reason left when you're all stocked up with good gear. Then when you do fight, it sucks getting some ultra cool weapon only for it to break like everything else. Sure you can go get another one, but that cheapens its value. I think having some unbreakable end game equipment the player can get would really help. Or perhaps have some equipment that can be "upgraded" by the goddess statues or the Great Fairies. The Master Sword was the one thing I thought wouldn't break and even that shatters after a bit (yes it regenerates but that's just padding). The combat is fun, yes, but it gets repetitive with little reward. Everything from the enemy materials to the weapons dropped revolve around that combat loop.

Yeah, you got me there at the treasure inside Hyrule Castle, it makes the idea of storming the castle plausible. However, an initial player wouldn't know that. I think the durability system is in place to make you feel like you need to explore. You need to get better weapons. You need a bigger variety of weapons. And in my eyes that's a good solution to loot hoarding. Nioh gives you a new weapon every second but you're hardly ever going to use them since the game doesn't require you to. BOTW basically forces you to experiment with different weapons and I sincerely think that's key to the game focus on exploration.

I do agree that they should allow you to rebuild the weapons more easily, but I'm not sure how that should be implemented. I hate crafting in games.

It doesnt really take speedrunner skills or strategies which is my point. Speedrunners basically dissect the game in order to sequence break, glitch, or use advanced self-made techniques to make it past defined roadblocks. BotW doesnt have that it just has a much bumpier road. Which by itself is also ok but the problem is they also give certain advantages to make the road less bumpy which end up trivializing the game in other ways. The game is dumbed down to accommodate a minimal set of skills that don't take effort aside from timing and persistence. The rest of the game's bosses, puzzles, etc are never designed to where you need anything else which makes all the exploration mostly moot. That's the actual problem with the game in general as exploring the world is a case of diminishing returns since it's all mostly unnecessary as it is.

The game just feels completely backwards in design because of this. Going to Ganon should be possible because the player is crazy dedicated not because the rest of the game is making huge allowances for it.

As far as specific things they could do to fix it there isn't much they could do without reworking the weapons, nerfing the defensive techniques and actually designing better boss battles. Almost all the weapons and gear you earn are basically just simple resources for being able to do damage or guard it. Hell, even doing the beasts is mostly just to lower his health instead of actually changing the dynamic of the fight.

At the very least the second part of the fight should have been a sprawling battle throughout all of Hyrule where the reprogrammed beasts come to your aid and your knowledge of the terrain can be used to your advantage. At least then a straight run would leave you at more of a disadvantage.

Essentially they should have designed the rest of the game first and then the make the smallest of adjustments for allowing a speed run.

As for your stick comment how exactly is that all that much different than it is now? Does picking up multiples sticks because they keep breaking any less of a slog?

I agree that the combat isn't the focus in the game and that it makes it suffer for it. The combat could have been a lot better and while the defensive mechanics are a bit overpowered, it still felt like a step in the right direction for Zelda when it comes to the challenge in each fight. The balance isn't pitch perfect, it's just so hard to get it right in a game this open. Weapon durability is meant as a road block, as a way to encourage new players to stock up on different offensive options. I don't think it's done perfectly, but I like the idea. And you have so many options to attack besides your sword.

The sticks break easily, that's the point. You shouldn't be hoarding sticks, you should be looking for more durable weapons.

Edit: I just like to add one more thing. You're told early on that you need to explore the map in order to prepare for your fight against Ganon. Weapon durability basically forces you to do so. It's a nice case of (ahem) ludonarrative concordance.

Last edited:

Pachi72

I couldn't go back to it.

As far as I'm concerned, BotW has essentially made all the other 3D Zeldas obsolete. Ocarina still gets high marks for nostalgia purposes but that's it, I'd take ALttP or Link Between Worls over it.
BOTW is soooo overrated..I never want to play another Zelda game like BOTW

Rodolink

I hope he's hinting at something that will happen, since its a pain in the eyes to play on the Wii due to its low resolution and a pain to my wrists due to the motion controls. But in other respects like animation (exceeds in that regard imo, gives me Disney vibes), characters and level design I think it truly deserves a remaster. I would gladyl re-play it.

Filben

OMG, that port begging!

I would finally play this game... I could only last two hours because of those shit controls. I liked the game until that point and would have loved to play it entirely. Maybe I finally buy a Switch when they release this, and also TP and WW on it.

kunonabi

Yeah, you got me there at the treasure inside Hyrule Castle, it makes the idea of storming the castle plausible. However, an initial player wouldn't know that. I think the durability system is in place to make you feel like you need to explore. You need to get better weapons. You need a bigger variety of weapons. And in my eyes that's a good solution to loot hoarding. Nioh gives you a new weapon every second but you're hardly ever going to use them since the game doesn't require you to. BOTW basically forces you to experiment with different weapons and I sincerely think that's key to the game focus on exploration.

I do agree that they should allow you to rebuild the weapons more easily, but I'm not sure how that should be implemented. I hate crafting in games.

I agree that the combat isn't the focus in the game and that it makes it suffer for it. The combat could have been a lot better and while the defensive mechanics are a bit overpowered, it still felt like a step in the right direction for Zelda when it comes to the challenge in each fight. The balance isn't pitch perfect, it's just so hard to get it right in a game this open. Weapon durability is meant as a road block, as a way to encourage new players to stock up on different offensive options. I don't think it's done perfectly, but I like the idea. And you have so many options to attack besides your sword.

The sticks break easily, that's the point. You shouldn't be hoarding sticks, you should be looking for more durable weapons.

Edit: I just like to add one more thing. You're told early on that you need to explore the map in order to prepare for your fight against Ganon. Weapon durability basically forces you to do so. It's a nice case of (ahem) ludonarrative concordance.

It's basically all smoke and mirrors. The game leads you to believe that exploring the world is super important but it's really just a matter of skewing the numbers in your favor as Link doesnt really grow in terms of skillset. The game does a great job of tricking you into thinking there is more going on and that what you do is actually fresh and different but once you realize how vapid it actually is it just collapses in on itself. The weapon durability is no different. It's still a great base to improve on and the right move for the franchise but like OoT it has a ton of issues it needs to address moving forward is all.

It's basically all smoke and mirrors. The game leads you to believe that exploring the world is super important but it's really just a matter of skewing the numbers in your favor as Link doesnt really grow in terms of skillset. The game does a great job of tricking you into thinking there is more going on and that what you do is actually fresh and different but once you realize how vapid it actually is it just collapses in on itself. The weapon durability is no different. It's still a great base to improve on and the right move for the franchise but like OoT it has a ton of issues it needs to address moving forward is all.

Not sure what you mean by skillset here. If you mean like he should learn new moves or so help me God have a skill tree then I'm strongly against that (especially the second part, skill trees give me nightmares even more so than collecting random shit for crafting). I'm not sure "vapid" is a good way to describe BOTW, it's basically an open world action puzzler that just so happens to also be an immersive sim of sorts. It's a coherent mess and while I do agree with you that it's not the most challenging game ever, true challenging games are so rare these days it feels like you're expecting too much out of a title to criticize that. And while it isn't challenging, I literally can't think of an open world game that's more balanced than BOTW. It disguises its numbers game of being the proper level to be somewhere in the map better than other titles.

I also agree that there are a lot of things that could be improved in the next Zelda. Real talk here, I'm just so happy it exists. Zelda and Mario are old as fuck series that are still going strong and they haven't lost their identity in any reboot. Think how rare it is. Zelda had its 4th major reinvention (the first one, ALTTP, OOT and now this) that nailed its landing incredibly well and made waves in the industry while still feeling like Zelda. While Mario feels timeless, Zelda feels fresh. That's just nuts. Zelda is still leading the industry when it comes to design and while the weapons durability could be implemented better, I think it's a good system to build on. Maybe make it less hyperactive than BOTW, just make players feel they need the loot.

Last edited:

royox

Not very into rehashing the same games for newer consoles...but to be fair, SS looked like SHIT back on its own times because the lack of any AA. I maybe would give it a chance with proper AA, 1080p and 60fps.

Andyliini

"At this time we have no plans to release The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on Nintendo Switch", Nintendo has told to Eurogamer.
It might still be coming, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

Kenpachii

More like next year a new zelda that is on the scope of botw. But that would actually take effort.

Last edited:
"At this time we have no plans to release The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on Nintendo Switch", Nintendo has told to Eurogamer.
It might still be coming, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

It remind me of when Square Enix denied they were working on a Final Fantasy XII remaster after the director mentioned it at a symphony presentation. One year later, Final Fantasy XII HD was among us.

Last edited:

Athena~

Banned
Definitely one of the best games to port as it was released so late in the Wii cycle and most people didn’t care to get the motion plus for it

Top Bottom