• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma's Regrets For Twilight Princess (EDGE)

Toski

I just don't want Ganondorf as the main villain again. It seems he was shoehorned into TP just to have him in there.

gumshoe

Banned
I want more "magical" sections in the next zelda.

I want the first village to be set in a mini forest and the houses are in trees, and when you leave your house the first thing you see is a giant mountain that is faaaar away, and then when you get to the top of the mountain you will spot the Hyrule castle from the distance and the areas that surround it. I also want a section that is very similar the scale and beauty as Pandora's forest from AVATAR!!! :D

In my opinion, TP's biggest mistake was putting the real version on the back burner (GameCube) and shoving unneeded Wii controls into it to make it at launch.

upandaway

I wrote like 3 different posts to the thread but all I could bring myself to post is this:

Aonuma: "I don't know how to make overworlds. In TP, I tried to do it like Miyamoto and failed, and that I regret."

Sadist

Twilight Princess said:
twilight princess was fun to play but there is no uniqueness associated with it, and nothing to remember it by. i hope the next zelda game has more soul.
Twilight Princess
Finds himself soulles
(Today, 09:14 PM)
Reply | Quote

ShockingAlberto said:
why do I click on Zelda threads
Because threads like these make you all warm and fuzzy

Jezan

Teddman said:
Sure you do. They've done it with Mario. The do it EVERY game with Final Fantasy.

The Zelda world has been built up enough to support adventures with other characters besides Link. At least portions of games.

The dramatic possibilities of a game where Zelda/Sheik had to kick ass to rescue Link for once would be novel and a breath of fresh air. New abilities, new environments, new weaponry. A nice reversal of what has become a very stale formula for the series.

It would probably increase the audience for Zelda too. Why can't Nintendo see this?

A game designed around Zelda/Sheik would rock. It's a great chacter design. How is it that Zelda has never been playable in her namesake game?

Or instead of saving Link, fighting evil, I mean in OoT seven years without Link, she had to survive along with Impa and undergo the Sheikah training. And it does not have to be a complete game only about Zelda (it would be awesome of course [as long as it is by Nintendo]) , add Link parts somewhere.

And what's so wrong with the emptiness of Hyrule in TP? Yes ,there is nothing to do, but OoT was empty too, it was smaller though, same with WW.

My two problems with TP: physical twilight walls that prevent you from entering certain areas, but it was part of the "enter twilight zone, get bugs, revive the spirit"

The second: "enter twilight zone, get bugs, revive the spirit", specially the one at Kakariko.

and yes I prefer MM and TP over OoT

Cygnus X-1

Anyway, people stating that Twilight Princess is the best 3D zelda make me laugh. Seriously, if you take all 3D Zelda now, obviously you will find that TP has better dungeons, better graphic design, better cutscenes and so on. But this art of comparison is just stupid as hell. Every game has to be put in the contest of when it effectively came out.

Ocarina of Time, in 1998, was the maximum of the maximum. If you try to read some review of that period, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Majora's Mask in 2000 was incredible because of the side stories, of the characters and the dark side on the Zelda series in it. And also because no Ganondorf and Zelda were present! In other words, it was different.

The problem of TP is that it took everything that was great in the past 3D Zeldas and made them better and bigger. This could be sure an accomplishment, but play this art of game is not different that play a remake. And that's why it was so boring.

gumshoe

Banned
I want to see something like this in a zelda game:

AVT03.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oblivion said:
I'm constantly baffled at all these people that who complain that Zelda still needs to 'shake things up', even after PH and ST.

Zelda has been "shaken up" ever since Wind Waker. The WW universe - which includes Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks - IS doing creative things and adding fresh new content. A lot of people don't give the DS games props either because they're portable or they have a hard-on to hate stylus control. If The Wind Waker itself had only been fully baked with the final 2 dungeons finished thus negating the need for the triforce fragment quest and the boring boss gauntlet before Gannon, it would have been by far the finest game in the series outside of Link to the Past and Link's Awakening.

Twilight Princess is the direct result of Zelda fans /not/ accepting new content when Nintendo offered it to them. (And Nintendo making the mistake of listening to the loudest fans too literally.) It's a by the numbers, "soulless" recreation of Ocarina of Time. It's similar to what Square has done with FFXIII by panicking at the reaction to FFXII and trying to recreate FFX on a grander scale.

The irony is that now, it seems most fans look back at The Wind Waker fondly and consider it one of the greatest games Nintendo has ever made barring the stumble of the fetch quest at the end.

What a lot of fans seem to want is, essentially, a realistic Zelda but not like Twilight Princess. Nintendo is actually very conservative and timid about creating new content. They are all about experimenting with new game play ideas, but they retreat back into the safety of previous worlds and characters. Thus, with Ocarina of Time being looked at by Nintendo as the "standard bearer" for 3D Zelda, Nintendo tends to retreat back to Ocarina as the new base for everything Zelda when they're afraid of how people will react to the game.

What needs to happen is for Nintendo to make a game that "retires" Ocarina. It's got to be a direct replacement in some ways - such as realistic style graphics, and that take on Hyrule - but it can't use Ocarina as a base. It's got to be its own new generation of game.

upandaway

Kaijima said:
What needs to happen is for Nintendo to make a game that "retires" Ocarina. It's got to be a direct replacement in some ways - such as realistic style graphics, and that take on Hyrule - but it can't use Ocarina as a base. It's got to be its own new generation of game.
What happens is that Nintendo needs to make a Zelda that carries as much as possible from the first 2 Zeldas into the 3D realm.

Still the same world, still the same content, still the same gameplay, and a new interface.
In a way, rely on the 16 year old game rather than the 11 year old one, because you relied on the 11 year old one for 11 years. There's nothing bad with either of them, so god damn, use both.

Cygnus X-1

Jezan said:
And what's so wrong with the emptiness of Hyrule in TP? Yes ,there is nothing to do, but OoT was empty too, it was smaller though, same with WW.

It was small in comparison. The difference is that you took only a minute or two to pass through the Hyrule Field in OoT whereas in TP the world was so vast, that going from a place to another one was boring as hell.
And in OoT there were anyway side quests that filled the emptiness you're talking about. The poes quest, the mask quest, the skulltulas, the bean beds, the biggoron sword. And of course the passage between one village and another one. Oh, exactly: in TP there was only one damned big village and nothing else since in Zora's domain there were nothing to do, on the Death mountain you had also nothing to do and in Ordon you could do the half of things you could do in the Kokiri Forest.

Boy, emtpy? Lol.

OMG Aero

Teddman said:
Sure you do. They've done it with Mario. The do it EVERY game with Final Fantasy.

The Zelda world has been built up enough to support adventures with other characters besides Link. At least portions of games.

The dramatic possibilities of a game where Zelda/Sheik had to kick ass to rescue Link for once would be novel and a breath of fresh air. New abilities, new environments, new weaponry. A nice reversal of what has become a very stale formula for the series.

It would probably increase the audience for Zelda too. Why can't Nintendo see this?

A game designed around Zelda/Sheik would rock. It's a great chacter design. How is it that Zelda has never been playable in her namesake game?
Because a hell of a lot more people want to play as Link.

rhino4evr said:
YES! I mentioned the need for a difficulty level in Zelda games and almost got bruned alive in the Spirit Tracks thread. The games have gotten too easy for most gamers...but I will disagree TP was much more difficult then WW was. At least before you got a shit load of Heart containtes. i died on the shadow creatures a few times before knowing what to do to defeat them.
TP's difficulty is an odd duck, unlike Wind Waker which actually gets a bit harder at the end, Twilight Princess's final dungeon (including the final bosses) seems easier than the rest of the game which is the exact opposite of what I expect of a game. Sure, TP's finale was atmospheric and all but I'm still really sour on the fact that it felt so disgustingly easy to me. The rest of the game felt slightly harder than Wind Waker to me. I too wonder why they just can't implement different difficulty modes that give the enemies varying amounts of health/modify the number of enemies, etc. It really shouldn't be that hard to do, should it?

Cygnus X-1

Kaijima said:
Zelda has been "shaken up" ever since Wind Waker. The WW universe - which includes Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks - IS doing creative things and adding fresh new content. A lot of people don't give the DS games props either because they're portable or they have a hard-on to hate stylus control. If The Wind Waker itself had only been fully baked with the final 2 dungeons finished thus negating the need for the triforce fragment quest and the boring boss gauntlet before Gannon, it would have been by far the finest game in the series outside of Link to the Past and Link's Awakening.

Twilight Princess is the direct result of Zelda fans /not/ accepting new content when Nintendo offered it to them. (And Nintendo making the mistake of listening to the loudest fans too literally.) It's a by the numbers, "soulless" recreation of Ocarina of Time. It's similar to what Square has done with FFXIII by panicking at the reaction to FFXII and trying to recreate FFX on a grander scale.

The irony is that now, it seems most fans look back at The Wind Waker fondly and consider it one of the greatest games Nintendo has ever made barring the stumble of the fetch quest at the end.

What a lot of fans seem to want is, essentially, a realistic Zelda but not like Twilight Princess. Nintendo is actually very conservative and timid about creating new content. They are all about experimenting with new game play ideas, but they retreat back into the safety of previous worlds and characters. Thus, with Ocarina of Time being looked at by Nintendo as the "standard bearer" for 3D Zelda, Nintendo tends to retreat back to Ocarina as the new base for everything Zelda when they're afraid of how people will react to the game.

Well said. The Zelda series needs to evolve in something different. Conservatory thinking is killing the series. I am not one of these people that think that Wind Waker was so great.

I do not think that the art style is so important as long as the game is developed with a thing in mind: what we're talking about is a fantasy, adventure game. And NOT a dungeon-next dungeon-next dungeon minigame collection.

Aonuma really, really need to read some fantasy book.

Varjet

Teddman said:
Please, just do something new with the damn franchise.

SOMETHING NEW

I want a new playable character. Let's let Zelda be the main character for once and have Link be in need of rescuing. No more mask crap, dark/light crap, actually have other characters be playable.

LET ZELDA BE THE MAIN CHARACTER FOR ONCE
I don't really want Phillips to do another Zelda, so no thanks.

A lot of people like Zelda for reasons that are different from mine.

I think the dungeon/puzzle design should be paramount and everything else should be secondary.

I could care less about the feelings evoked by seeing a mountain and am more concerned with what puzzles are in the inevitable mountain-volcano dungeon.

ShockingAlberto said:
why do I click on Zelda threads
I find myself asking the same question. Its just a waste of energy, especially when you take into account that its an absolute certainty that the posers of Zelda fandom will inevitably show up and hate on whatever Zelda game pisses them off at the moment theyre posting.

Edit: Or they will counter a completely absurd and stupid suggestion with an even more absurd and stupid argument. Yeah, I'm overtired and cranky, time for me to bail out for the next 8 hours.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
upandaway said:
What happens is that Nintendo needs to make a Zelda that carries as much as possible from the first 2 Zeldas into the 3D realm.

Still the same world, still the same content, still the same gameplay, and a new interface.
In a way, rely on the 16 year old game rather than the 11 year old one, because you relied on the 11 year old one for 11 years. There's nothing bad with either of them, so god damn, use both.

This is, sorry to be so blunt, just plain stupid and so many people do this, my self included at times and it needs to stop. Stop looking to the past. stop wearing those rose tinted glasses and stop thinking with you nostalgia filled memories and look to the future, not literally you futuristic Zelda freaks. Nintendo doesnt need to rely on anything but has to actually do something new and original.

Sure you can obviously take aspects of previous games and carry them into new games, but these attempts should just be conceptual generalizations not literal and concrete requirements, you cannot take game X from 1986 and then implant it into game Y from 2010. You can say I want to make a game that recreates a similar atmosphere and experience and then work from there.

I understand people have fond memories of these past games, that they liked LttP more than OoT or LA more than WW or whatever. I have my favorites too, but you cant say Nintendo needs to remake this or that specifically, you can hope they create something new and original that can recapture or recreate the emotions and excitement that previous games made you feel, because to ask them to just modernize an old game thinking it will make everything better is just pure folly. Youre only setting yourself up for more disappointment and the stunting of a great franchise.

upandaway

Enduin said:
This is, sorry to be so blunt, just plain stupid and so many people do this, my self included at times and it needs to stop. Stop looking to the past. stop wearing those rose tinted glasses and stop thinking with you nostalgia filled memories and look to the future, not literally you futuristic Zelda freaks. Nintendo doesnt need to rely on anything but has to actually do something new and original.

Sure you can obviously take aspects of previous games and carry them into new games, but these attempts should just be conceptual generalizations not literal and concrete requirements, you cannot take game X from 1986 and then implant it into game Y from 2010. You can say I want to make a game that recreates a similar atmosphere and experience and then work from there.

I understand people have fond memories of these past games, that they liked LttP more than OoT or LA more than WW or whatever. I have my favorites too, but you cant say Nintendo needs to remake this or that specifically, you can hope they create something new and original that can recapture or recreate the emotions and excitement that previous games made you feel, because to ask them to just modernize an old game thinking it will make everything better is just pure folly. Youre only setting yourself up for more disappointment and the stunting of a great franchise.
Read my last sentence though. I'm not preferring the old games through some wicked nostalgia feeling (that I'm not even supposed to have, and I don't have, because I played most Zeldas/games in the span of the last 2 years), but there are a couple of Zeldas that are combat/exploration first and puzzles second, there are a couple that are exploration/puzzle first and combat second, and there are a bunch of Zeldas that are puzzle first and everything else second. I'm saying that Nintendo has a lot worked out for them by going back to the first couple, not because they're better or something, but because they're just as good and not used as much.
In my defense, it's also not really uncommon for someone to come to me and tell me I'm blinded by nostalgia in my suggestions, either.

And you can't really tell me "but Nintendo can just do something totally different and not rely on any of them", because you can't do a Zelda without relying on combat, exploration and puzzles. That's what it is. The difference is what you take more into account when you create the games.

For your last sentence, I expect Nintendo to continue in the PH/TP direction, I don't know where you got that I'm expecting them to do as I said.

The 3D overworlds suck period. They're soulless and empty. Now look at LTTP for example. The overworld was magical. You actually had to peform tasks to find new weapons and items in in the overworld that allowed you to progress in the game.

Not to mention the overworld in 3D Zelda games just seems like a cluster f*** with bad designs. The sense of exploration is gone or feels too much like a chore compared to LTTP or LA.

Can Aonuma create a 2D Zelda game with Wii controls? Sure, I don't see why not.

Bizzyb

Banned
So the next game will feature an adult Link in a realistic world with proportions that get it right this time

That's what I take from the interview.

Wind Waker was great and all but I really don't want another Cell Shaded Zelda, at least not in such a cartoony style

I thought twilight has lots of soul, but was held back(by zelda standards) due to unpolished gameplay with the wolf, and a few too many fetch quests. I loved the dungeons, the bosses, the graphics, the new moves, his new suits...I mean, there was a lot to love about it. The wolf however, was the biggest disappointment in the entire game for me. I was a nice idea, and granted it was better than most games, but it didnt live up to the zelda qualit expectation.

In any case, Snow Peek Ruins and Sky City(whatever its called) were completely awesome.

ghostmind

I would likely play it if it was an evolution of the Wind Waker style - there is something about that style that just appeals to me - and it seems to age much better than a "realistic" looking game.

I've already got two consoles that are great at pumping out "realistic" looking games - I would much rather have Nintendo give me something different - something that only they, with their catalog of characters, can do.

theluma

Toski said:
I just don't want Ganondorf as the main villain again. It seems he was shoehorned into TP just to have him in there.

I agree, I thought the fight with Zant was way more epic because you had essentially been against him for the whole game, not Ganondorf.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
zigg said:
I want a game where Link unlocks sweet new mini-dungeons by making people happy.
Sorta like the sidequests in Majora's Mask but with rewarding mini-dungeons that are unlocked so you can claim your reward rather than getting the reward instantly?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Jason's Ultimatum said:
The 3D overworlds suck period. They're soulless and empty. Now look at LTTP for example. The overworld was magical. You actually had to peform tasks to find new weapons and items in in the overworld that allowed you to progress in the game.

Not to mention the overworld in 3D Zelda games just seems like a cluster f*** with bad designs. The sense of exploration is gone or feels too much like a chore compared to LTTP or LA.

Can Aonuma create a 2D Zelda game with Wii controls? Sure, I don't see why not.

I'm going to commit the ultimate Zelda sin and say this about the 3D overworlds: the horse was never a good idea.

Yeah there you go, Epona sucks.

It seems they came up with the horse because it's an obvious fantasy world element. The hero rides a horse. Okay, fair enough.

But the horse has always handled like a brick. It was impressive for a while on the N64 because 3D graphics were still novel. The spectacle of seeing Link climb onto a horse-thing built of like ten triangles was amazing to a certain generation of kids. But even then, the horse was less fun than running around as Link himself.

In TP, the mechanical truck-like handling of the horse is god-awful. It's no fun at all and you just use the horse because running around on foot takes too long.

Hell, one reason I loved The Wind Waker is because the boat had so much more personality and charm than the horse. And it was a freakin' boat! (Okay, a talking boat possessed by the devil but that's picking nits.)

I think Aonuma's ability to create a good overworld is there. The overworld/ocean in WW is good; it's interesting. It just needed to be a little more populated. But the concept was good. The "navigation" based overworld maps in the DS games are actually fun. The train mini-game is really pretty darn good.

But the real culprit is that the only two primary 3D Zeldas set on dry land had overworlds designed around the use of the terrible horse. So they weren't trying to make them fun to navigate purely on foot. We can't rule out that Aonuma's team might be able to make a great overworld if the starting goal is to focus on Link himself.

I'm actually worried that Zelda Wii will have the damn horse because Miyamoto thinks Ocarina is the foundation for all Zelda now. I hope not.

ShockingAlberto said:
A lot of people like Zelda for reasons that are different from mine.

I think the dungeon/puzzle design should be paramount and everything else should be secondary.

I could care less about the feelings evoked by seeing a mountain and am more concerned with what puzzles are in the inevitable mountain-volcano dungeon.

I totally see where you're coming from, but for me, the quintessential Zelda experience boiled down to it's core, is precisely that metaphor. Seeing a mountain and conquering it. Everything else is secondary. Zelda at it's best is more than sum of it's parts: puzzles, action and exploration. It's the overall feeling of adventure that the early 3D games captured so well.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that I have a fair dose of nostalgia swaying my judgment, and that many Zelda fans are holding some past game in the series as the standard when judging the newer games. All the more reason for Aonuma and co. to shake things up.

My suggestion?

Open Zelda back up. Tone down the hand holding and detailed explanation of every game mechanic. Allow the players to discover the world and its rules on their own terms, NES style. After the first three intro dungeons, allow the player to tackle the rest in any order. Keep the story simple and the overall objective clear.

Mario Galaxy boiled down 3D mario platforming to it's strongest elements: whimsical high flying acrobatics and the sheer visceral thrill of controlling Mario.

Give Zelda the same treatment. Find the common thread that links the best games in the series and find the best and simplest way to achieve and improve on it. (hint: it isn't the puzzles)

The mountain metaphor actually makes me think that a Zelda game set entirely on a gigantic mountain range would be pretty fantastic.

Link is a boy growing up in a tiny community at the base of a mountain. A great evil has taken up residence at the very peak of the mountain. Link must climb the mountain and gain the aid of the various races that have built cities and settlements on the ridges and paths of the mountain.

It may not allow for very flexible dungeon progression, but it would solve the problem of guiding the player through the world by the hand: as long as you're travelling up, you're headed in the right overall direction. There would be detours, tasks and dungeons along the way, of course, not to mention an opportunity for some pretty stunning vistas.

/fanboy

Just get rid of all the clutter and gimmicks.
When you compare how zelda evolved from part one to three and now look how it stagnated from 64 on it's frustrating.

Jax said:
I just don't see the specs on the wii as being capable of telling a grand vision.

So do you just not think there has ever been a grand vision before in the history of video games before this generation or what?

Christopher

Dabookerman said:
You whip that out as if to say anyone who isn't a Zelda fan looking for an epic adventure will lap this up in seconds.

No.

Only our Rose-tinted glasses allow you and me to do that.

That game is freaking epic my bro only played it recently and loved it - unlike Twilight Princess which we both struggled to get through...what a boring game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Kaijima said:
I'm going to commit the ultimate Zelda sin and say this about the 3D overworlds: the horse was never a good idea.

It seems they came up with the horse because it's an obvious fantasy world element. The hero rides a horse. Okay, fair enough.

But the horse has always handled like a brick. It was impressive for a while on the N64 because 3D graphics were still novel. The spectacle of seeing Link climb onto a horse-thing built of like ten triangles was amazing to a certain generation of kids. But even then, the horse was less fun than running around as Link himself.

In TP, the mechanical truck-like handling of the horse is god-awful. It's no fun at all and you just use the horse because running around on foot takes too long.

Hell, one reason I loved The Wind Waker is because the boat had so much more personality and charm than the horse. And it was a freakin' boat! (Okay, a talking boat possessed by the devil but that's picking nits.)

I think Aonuma's ability to create a good overworld is there. The overworld/ocean in WW is good; it's interesting. It just needed to be a little more populated. But the concept was good. The "navigation" based overworld maps in the DS games are actually fun. The train mini-game is really pretty darn good.

But the real culprit is that the only two primary 3D Zeldas set on dry land had overworlds designed around the use of the terrible horse. So they weren't trying to make them fun to navigate purely on foot. We can't rule out that Aonuma's team might be able to make a great overworld if the starting goal is to focus on Link himself.

I'm actually worried that Zelda Wii will have the damn horse because Miyamoto thinks Ocarina is the foundation for all Zelda now. I hope not.

these are good points, and this is a good post. you're batting a thousand in this thread.

GCX

It's a good thing Aonuma acknowledges the shortcomings and errors they did with the previous Zeldas but he should also give some more credit for himself. I mean, he's directed some great games like MM, WW and TP but there's so many interviews with him where he apologizes about stuff like how he wasn't able to make TP the best game ever or how bad he feels for the triforce fetch quest.

You're not doing so badly, man.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Twilight Princess was awesome, only 2nd to OOT out of the 3D Zeldas for me and 4th all time (behind OOT, ALTTP, and Link's Awakening).

TWW and Majora's Mask, in comparison, are a huge chore to play. The Wind Waker starts off good but but the triforce quest is enough to write the game off for good, no matter how good the graphics are. Majora's Mask has a great, dark story, but I think the 3 day time limit actually holds the game back and makes it a frustrating experience.

gumshoe

Banned
Kaijima said:

Didn't Miyamoto / Aonuma hint that the next Zelda will feature a giant flying creature for traveling?

Top Bottom