• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiyuden Chronicles Rising Reviews:

Saber

Gold Member
They probably want to get people in for the main game, which will most likely be 39,99~59,99

It certainly weird this game is that cheap, even here in Brazil when most of poop games are beyond R$150 digital only. Certainly a charming price for such a beautiful looking game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Its the start the game, it introduces the main character, she talks then something happens, theres a dialogue between her and a lizard type merchant, she helps him(battle introduction), then theres more dialogue, more and more, and the game feels like its flowing that way.

Btw, since when 6 minutes is short? Most of vania games or even similar types of games nowadays don't spend too much on unnecessary lamish dialogue.
At least the gameplay seems fair in that aspect, very castlevanish like.
Seriously, this is supposed to be an action game. Let us start out with some really exciting action sequence, then feed us some of the back story once we actually give a shit about this character + world. Don’t front-load 6 minutes of (boring) back story and character introductions before letting us do anything interesting.

JRPGs in particular seem to have this problem where characters talk in circles and every conversation takes twice as long as it should. Especially annoying in a game like this where you already KNOW the conversation is just a thinly veiled excuse for why you need to go find some shiny blue dots for some lazy asshole who’s too lazy to do it themselves.

IDK. I’ll power on for a bit longer because I really want to like this game. But it makes a bad first impression, and to frame that as “it’s your fault for having a short attention span” is such bullshit.

Pallas

Gold Member
I’m not very far… just a bit after the first boss but I’ve noticed that …

When I revisited the area of the first boss(the giant tree monster) after going back to New Nevaeh, that it respawns, and seems to be slightly more difficult with an additional attack that it can use. Btw really love the boss music.

Kimahri

Banned
Seriously, this is supposed to be an action game. Let us start out with some really exciting action sequence, then feed us some of the back story once we actually give a shit about this character + world. Don’t front-load 6 minutes of (boring) back story and character introductions before letting us do anything interesting.

JRPGs in particular seem to have this problem where characters talk in circles and every conversation takes twice as long as it should. Especially annoying in a game like this where you already KNOW the conversation is just a thinly veiled excuse for why you need to go find some shiny blue dots for some lazy asshole who’s too lazy to do it themselves.

IDK. I’ll power on for a bit longer because I really want to like this game. But it makes a bad first impression, and to frame that as “it’s your fault for having a short attention span” is such bullshit.
Lol, what? Dialogues in this game are refreshingly short.

If you wanna complain about endless talking go play Tales of Arise.

This is such a bizarre complaint for this game.

Kimahri

Banned
nah I agree with D DonkeyPunchJr on this one. Fuck the shitty dialogue and give me some good gameplay first then weave in a story.
But there's hardly any talking at all. It's over before you know it and the amount of chit chat in this game is absolutely minimal.

The average conversation is over in a few clicks.

I quite enjoy the dialogue. It's whimsical and doesn't take itself seriously. This game is just light hearted fun.

sliceypete

But there's hardly any talking at all. It's over before you know it and the amount of chit chat in this game is absolutely minimal.

The average conversation is over in a few clicks.

I quite enjoy the dialogue. It's whimsical and doesn't take itself seriously. This game is just light hearted fun.
I guess to each his own. I don't mind the dialogue either, but I honestly thought it was a bit drawn out with all the chatting and fetch quests in the beginning. I beat the first boss and enjoyed it, not sure if I will keep with it till the end.

Davevil

Boring as a fuck...fortunally is free on Game Pass
It fail to introduce the world of Eiyuden Chronicles

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
About 2 hours in now. Not sure how much longer I want to keep playing. I’m glad I didn’t pay anything for it.

At its heart it is a very boring, simplistic platformer that has no challenge or interesting gameplay mechanics. Instead, the game compensates you with a never ending series of fetch quests, town upgrades, equipment upgrades, etc. Like they knew there actual gameplay is not fun so they tried to hook you with addictive MMO treadmill stuff instead.

Does it get any better? Did anybody finish this and feel more excited for Eiyuden Chronicles? Anything remotely interesting happen story/lore-wise?

kevm3

About 2 hours in now. Not sure how much longer I want to keep playing. I’m glad I didn’t pay anything for it.

At its heart it is a very boring, simplistic platformer that has no challenge or interesting gameplay mechanics. Instead, the game compensates you with a never ending series of fetch quests, town upgrades, equipment upgrades, etc. Like they knew there actual gameplay is not fun so they tried to hook you with addictive MMO treadmill stuff instead.

Does it get any better? Did anybody finish this and feel more excited for Eiyuden Chronicles? Anything remotely interesting happen story/lore-wise?
Yep. I pretty much feel like this is a metroidvania mixed with mmo fetch quests. It's not bad, but not particularly engaging. The first 8 hours is going to be spent collecting stamps, which is dull.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Has anybody beaten it yet? Does the story ever get interesting or seem like it’ll be important to the full game? Might still power through it if so. Otherwise I feel no motivation to keep going with this one.

AX8

Banned
Still playing, this game is so fun, unfortunately Path of Exile started its new league today so I'm focusing on that for a bit, but I'm loving this game.

kevm3

Just finished the stamp card... and after that
I was given a whole new stamp card to fill out. This is like a metroidvania mixed with mmo fetch quests

Still playing, this game is so fun, unfortunately Path of Exile started its new league today so I'm focusing on that for a bit, but I'm loving this game.
I have quite a few friends who did this with everything they were playing today. All day I been hearing “yeah man…I uninstalled that, gotta play PoE” 😂

• LOL
Reactions: AX8

Inspector Q

So my main issue so far (about ten stamps in) is that it seems a bit too lighthearted to the point of being childish...? I know Suikoden had it's fair share of light hearted moments and dialogue, but it also usually revolved around a war of some type complete with betrayals, death, intrigue, etc, etc. Does this game become more serious later on or does it keep the light-hearted tone throughout?

anthony2690

Banned
I'm about 9 hours into the game now, I am quite enjoying it.
I've finished the silver and gold stamp card, now I have a platinum stamp card to finish, the stamp collecting is a never ever grinding off fetch quests I guess to pad the game out, if you're into that?
Side quests I just hold start and skip the dialogue for now and I pretty much fast travel everywhere in the city or sign posts for side missions.
Main story is okay, I am enjoying the metroidvania aspects off the games especially when you can open up a lot more areas etc.

But if you're not enjoying the game now, I can't imagine you ever will.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Has anybody beaten it yet? Does the story ever get interesting or seem like it’ll be important to the full game? Might still power through it if so. Otherwise I feel no motivation to keep going with this one.

Finished it and working on the final black stamp card on hard mode.

Honestly not really, and it's hard to tell how important it is until the full game is released.

Like if the things you do in this town carry over to the main game, then yes I would say its quite important. Some of the characters main motivations are created or finally revealed in the last hour of the game. So that might play a part.

The issue is though I kind of really enjoyed my time with this in a kind of cathartic way, but then I really enjoyed "Of Rice & Ruin" too so.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Finished it and working on the final black stamp card on hard mode.

Honestly not really, and it's hard to tell how important it is until the full game is released.

Like if the things you do in this town carry over to the main game, then yes I would say its quite important. Some of the characters main motivations are created or finally revealed in the last hour of the game. So that might play a part.

The issue is though I kind of really enjoyed my time with this in a kind of cathartic way, but then I really enjoyed "Of Rice & Ruin" too so.

Same. Its a charming little game.. that kind I haven't played in a long time. I'm really looking forward to the main game.

Pallas

Gold Member
I'm about 9 hours into the game now, I am quite enjoying it.
I've finished the silver and gold stamp card, now I have a platinum stamp card to finish, the stamp collecting is a never ever grinding off fetch quests I guess to pad the game out, if you're into that?
Side quests I just hold start and skip the dialogue for now and I pretty much fast travel everywhere in the city or sign posts for side missions.
Main story is okay, I am enjoying the metroidvania aspects off the games especially when you can open up a lot more areas etc.

But if you're not enjoying the game now, I can't imagine you ever will.

About those stamps… they seem to be linked to every side quest, im halfway through my gold one, have you been visiting Hogan’s shop after every ten you collect? The final rewards are definitely worth it.

Pallas

Gold Member
How is the combat? Does it flow well? Does character movement/attack feel stiff?

Combat is ok, I don’t think it feels stiff personally but it’s not until you gather your second and third character that it starts to shine with its link system, plus upgrading gear allows you to pull off different attacks.

Another thing I like, though a bit unrelated to your question are the bosses. After you beat them, they will always respawn if you visit the area after heading back to town. They get a bit tougher, different attack patterns(I think?) and their level rises overtime.

This might be a decent, mindless game to play for trophies. I played a bit on GamePass, but without something like trophies to hunt for, I'm not sure I'd have enough drive to see it through. Luckily, the game is dirt cheap on all platforms.

I'm at the point where I've played hundreds of JRPGs and it is very difficult for me to buy-in and get invested in their plots, unless they are REALLY good. This absolutely is not that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom