• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Paso TX Shooting. 10+ dead.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009

Happened at a walmart a few hours ago. One suspect in custody.

The walmart was snuggled in between a Sams Club and a mall on a saturday so the whole area was extremely crowded. No exact casualty count yet but looks to be in the double digits.

Surveillance camera footage showed the shooter had a rifle and ear protection so this was 100% intentional and not some random gang violence.

• Triggered
Reactions: Ailynn

SpartanN92

Sep 7, 2012
This is why I never leave the house unarmed. I’m not saying if this happened at an area I was at that I’d be able to stop it but at least I wouldn’t be defenseless and have better odds.
Get your concealed carry license if your state allows it.

edit: Typo correction

Last edited:

nani17

May 3, 2018
Stages

1: Pray for those who are lost.

2: Quiet whispers wondering if the person was of a non American

3: People start the gun debate. Ban guns/you can't ban guns but nothing will ever be done.

4: protests may begin

5: immature left vs right arguments will be all over social media

6: People will deflect from the topic and talk about other nations crimes. Like England knife crime.

7: People are buried everyone cares... Kind of

8: Subject still around but slowly dying down because who gives a shit.

9: Two week goes by but still nothing whatsoever is done but in other news guess what Trump had for breakfast. Far more important obviously

10: back to normal

I'll always say this. If you think America doesn't have a gun problem then we here in Ireland don't have a drinking problem.

Everytime an American makes the comment along the lines of you Irish love to drink my usual reply is about as much as you love to shoot people.

I have zero issues with the second amendment but I have issues with the fact you still haven't done much about it and resort to the same stages as above for well over 20 years now

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
There are pictures of the suspect and his name is out there. Don't really want to promote the dude's name.

There is also supposedly a hoax manifesto out there.

Oct 26, 2018

Happened at a walmart a few hours ago. One suspect in custody.

The walmart was snuggled in between a Sams Club and a mall on a saturday so the whole area was extremely crowded. No exact casualty count yet but looks to be in the double digits.

Surveillance camera footage showed the shooter had a rifle and ear protection so this was 100% intentional and not some random gang violence.
It was a young white dude. Pic I saw was blurry but he was wearing big ear protection and I think he had glasses on.

This type of shit is definitely not gang violence. Gang violence is among their own neighbourhoods. You don't hear much about gang members shooting up people at a store.

No surprise. White guy.

Reactions: undrtakr900

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
There are pictures of the suspect and his name is out there. Don't really want to promote the dude's name.

There is also supposedly a hoax manifesto out there.
One of the more interesting debates. Whether or not to give out information about the suspect and their motives. I think both sides have sound arguments. I think both arguments can be right. Me personally as someone who studies true crime religiously, I always prefer to know the names and search for common threads between killers of a certain type and profile.

I was to see what motivated this nut.

Reactions: Can't decide

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Apparently the piece of shit was some kind of white supremacist Trump supporter so get ready for non stop coverage of this in the MSM with all the blame being put on Trump. How can somebody do this, god I'm so fucking pissed they didn't kill him, hopefully he'll get the death penalty and get raped a lot until his execution.

RIP to the victims and strength to the families.

Last edited:

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
This is not good. This is gonna affect Trump's chances in 2020....

Melon

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2018
The Sanctum
maniacalmyths.com
Things that are currently known:
-The shooter is male
-He is in his twenties
-He is white
-Multiple fatalities have been confirmed

Things that are only being speculated (as in no official statement, random 'verified' twitter accounts do not count as official sources):
-Political stance
-Potential manifesto
-Motive
-Pretty much everything else

Regardless of what comes out about this dude, though, doesn't change the fact that he is a horrible piece of shit and I hope he fucking rots. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this horrible attack.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
I think there are ways to at least help combat gun violence without destroying the 2nd amendment. I think people should have the right to carry handguns at least and have the right to defend themselves if they feel the need, and bolt action rifles as well. Even if they got a political and legislative path to an all-out ban, there's no way it would ever work, how you can confiscate 350 million guns, it would be impossible. And there's no doubt in my mind it would start a civil war. Militias would form and fight to death for their rights to carry, it would get horrifyingly ugly.

If you wanna ban assault rifles, sure go for it. Handguns are responsible for more overall deaths, but I think maybe at some point gun owners would be willing to sacrifice assault weapons if they could keep handguns and hunting rifles(bolt action, single fire). Maybe come to a common ground there.

Maybe force you to pass some type of a test before you buy a gun. Not sure what that would be.

Better mental health care, less anger, better parenting would also contribute. If you can make headway on just a few of those things, it wouldn't eliminate it or close to it, but maybe it would lower the rate a little bit. Baby steps.

But the thing is nothing would ever pass through congress anyway, so it wouldn't matter, which is probably the larger issue, more politicians are concerned about promoting their agenda than what's best for the american people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rran

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
They should raise the minimum age to buy guns to like 30.

TrainedRage

Feb 3, 2018
USA
They should raise the minimum age to buy guns to like 30.
Why? So people under 30 cant defend themselves from morons like this? If you can fight in the military at 18 its never gonna happen.
I think the younger you learn gun safety and responsibility the better off you are. This kid was clearly out of his mind though. I mean he bought a civi AK... Need I say more?

JordanN

Gold Member
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Good job picking a poor nation. I see your at stage 6
Being "poor" doesn't actually explain rampant crime.

Background
Low socioeconomic status in childhood is a well-known predictor of subsequent criminal and substance misuse behaviours but the causal mechanisms are questioned.

Conclusions
There were no associations between childhood family income and subsequent violent criminality and substance misuse once we had adjusted for unobserved familial risk factors.

Background A number of studies suggest associations between neighbourhood characteristics and criminality during adolescence and young adulthood. However, the causality of such neighbourhood effects remains uncertain.

Conclusions We found that the adverse effect of neighbourhood deprivation on adolescent violent criminality and substance misuse in Sweden was not consistent with a causal inference. Instead, our findings highlight the need to control for familial confounding in multilevel studies of criminality and substance misuse.

Also, when America was hit by The Great Depression, millions of Americans didn't suddenly start killing each other.

Violent crime rates may have risen at first during the Depression (in 1933, nationwide homicide mortality rate hit a high for the century until that point, at 9.7 per 100,000 people) but the trend did not continue throughout the decade. As the economy showed signs of recovery in 1934-37, the homicide rate went down by 20 percent.

New Deal programs were likely a major factor in declining crime rates, as was the end of Prohibition and a slowdown of immigration and migration of people from rural America to northern cities, all of which reduced urban crime rates. Even when the U.S. economy stalled again in 1937-38, homicide rates kept falling, reaching 6.4 per 100,000 by the end of the decade.

Being "poor" is not an excuse for rampant crime.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Feb 17, 2019
Why? So people under 30 cant defend themselves from morons like this? If you can fight in the military at 18 its never gonna happen.
I think the younger you learn gun safety and responsibility the better off you are. This kid was clearly out of his mind though. I mean he bought a civi AK... Need I say more?
Texas is an open carry state. How did that carry a gun to protect yourself work out? Yeah just as I thought. It is a sound bite. When it happens out of sheer luck one out of every 500 shootings people shout it from the rooftops but the realty is that it is horse shit.

TrainedRage

Feb 3, 2018
USA
Anyone who's been paying attention :)

Don't let me shit on your fantasy world tho
What are you talking about? You think the ONLY reason the shooter is alive is because he is white? LMFAO. You are delusional.

Texas is an open carry state. How did that carry a gun to protect yourself work out? Yeah just as I thought. It is a sound bite. When it happens out of sheer luck one out of every 500 shootings people shout it from the rooftops but the realty is that it is horse shit.
Yeah no one with a gun has ever stopped a shooter from killing more people.... I should just accept that im defenseless and will get shot, you are right. I mean I should just carry a folding knife. That would get him good!!!! If a person using open carry even stopped ONE person from killing people its worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oner
May 16, 2019
What the fuck does this even mean? You think the police wanted to spare him because he's white? i bet they all wanted to empty their mags into him, he just probably surrendered so they couldn't execute him because of their body cameras and other potential people filming.
Crazy how those bodycams just decide when to work perfectly and when to mysteriously shut off, that complex tech must still be in the prototype stages :messenger_alien:

What are you talking about? You think the ONLY reason the shooter is alive is because he is white? LMFAO. You are delusional.
You're right, it was just a white guy shooting up a store, not like he was doing something truly deadly like walking around or driving or selling cigarettes while being black. Carry on

You're the one living in a fantasy world, police shoot 2 to 3 times as many white people as they do black people, you just don't hear about it on the news when the person is white.
Would love to see a source for that that isn't some right-wing psycho blog

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Feb 3, 2018
USA
Crazy how those bodycams just decide when to work perfectly and when to mysteriously shut off, that complex tech must still be in the prototype stages :messenger_alien:

You're right, it was just a white guy shooting up a store, not like he was doing something truly deadly like walking around or driving or selling cigarettes while being black. Carry on

Would love to see a source for that that isn't some right-wing psycho blog
LOL where have you been hiding for these 2 months? You are funny! A race baiter/vulture.... but funny. ACAB right comrade!!!!!!????

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
Agree he was out of his mind. I'm just sick of seeing these kids throwing their lives away, and taking other peoples' in the process. Let them learn gun responsibility from their families/friends who own guns. I would be willing to wait until age 30 to buy my own guns if I really wanted them, if it meant lowering the amount of gun violence, not to mention the bad press for guns this generates.

I don't personally trust myself to own a gun so I've never gone down that path.

May 16, 2019
How about BBC and WaPo, doesn't get more woke than that:

Did you actually read your own source or just stop at the pretty pictures?

The truth is that the raw statistics can't tell us whether the police are treating African Americans differently from white people. To understand that, we'd need to look at more details about what happened in each incident. There's a big difference between a case where someone was shooting at the police, and a case where someone was passive and unarmed.

One person who has tried to do that is an economist from Harvard University called Roland Fryer, the first ever African American to win the prestigious John Bates Clark medal in economics. This month Fryer released a preliminary study examining records from 10 cities and counties, with the best data coming from Houston - it's not yet peer-reviewed, but it has received a lot of attention in the press.

Fryer's research suggests that African Americans and Hispanics are substantially more likely to experience force in their interactions with the police - such as having a gun pointed at them, being handcuffed without arrest, or being pepper-sprayed or hit with a baton

TrainedRage

Feb 3, 2018
USA
Agree he was out of his mind. I'm just sick of seeing these kids throwing their lives away, and taking other peoples' in the process. Let them learn gun responsibility from their families/friends who own guns. I would be willing to wait until age 30 to buy my own guns if I really wanted them, if it meant lowering the amount of gun violence, not to mention the bad press for guns this generates.

I don't personally trust myself to own a gun so I've never gone down that path.
Well I would say you are smart. If only this asshat shooter was as mindful. I tend to fall into the camp that you can blame the 'gun' all you want but there was a person who pulled the trigger.

Reactions: haxan7

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Did you actually read your own source or just stop at the pretty pictures?
I did read that but that's just the woke narrative that they're using to butter people like you up because the data doesn't back up the narrative so they have to spin it like that. The numbers are the only thing that matter. Plenty of cases of unarmed white people killed by police.

May 16, 2019
I did read that but that's just the woke narrative that they're using to butter people like you up because the data doesn't back up the narrative so they have to spin it like that. The numbers are the only thing that matter. Plenty of cases of unarmed white people killed by police.
So you cherrypicked the parts that fit your narrative while simultaneously having almost no understanding of how to actually interpret said statistics.

You could have just said "yes, I stopped at the pretty pictures" and left it at that.

And you should probably also be on my side of wanting to hold police accountable for excessive force / wanting better training for police but I guess that also doesn't fit your narrative.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
please post the manifesto if you find it, always curious what about this stuff

and a good guy with a gun is always better than a good guy without a gun

Last edited: