• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

Ill Saint

In defence of the combat, it really is deceptively deep. Arch especially has an awful lot of potential for mixing up and linking combinations. It definitely takes some getting used to the rhythm and movement, but it really does open up after some practice and the depth starts shining through. I find it really enjoyable and satisfying now that I know all the moves and have discovered some tactics. Just gotta really be disciplined and purposeful with the button presses. My advice is persevere, maybe even play on easy just to get into the groove of it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SamuraiX- said:
Thanks, good to know!

Btw, am I missing something is there no possible way to load from your autosave when you get kicked back to the main menu? Can you only load manual saves?
Go back to main menu (go back to the title with new game/load game/options, etc menu), load game, and then select "Save File 0" which is your autosave. You might need to move up from Save File 1 to Save File 0. You can load your autosave.

Save file 1, 2, ..., 50 are your manual saves.

Ill Saint

In case some people haven't noticed, there are two more introductions if the game is left at the title screen, which explain a bit more of the story.

SamuraiX-

Dark Schala said:
Go back to main menu (go back to the title with new game/load game/options, etc menu), load game, and then select "Save File 0" which is your autosave. You might need to move up from Save File 1 to Save File 0. You can load your autosave.

Save file 1, 2, ..., 50 are your manual saves.

Oh, nice!

Thank you so much. Would have completely missed that. The game doesn't make it too intuitive.

KennyLinder said:
This is out in the UK on Friday. Tis good, no?

From one UK gamer to another: it's ace. Combat takes some getting used to and appears shallow at first, but it fits like a glove after a while. Otherwise, the graphics and especially the soundtrack are top-tier stuff.

Acquiescence said:
From one UK gamer to another: it's ace. Combat takes some getting used to and appears shallow at first, but it fits like a glove after a while. Otherwise, the graphics and especially the soundtrack are top-tier stuff.

Excellent, cheers :) Apparently there is a demo, I'll go and try it out. The last combat game I played was Bayonetta which I loved dearly and played through three fantastic times and got 1000/1000 Achievements which I was very proud of doing! Is it similar to Bayonetta?

Got the platinum for this today. Most difficult one I've strived for yet. Even harder than Yakuza 3, Mirror's Edge or Red Dead Redemption. And all because of that one, single bastard of a trophy 'Conqueror'. My adivce is, if you can get G rank on Chapter 10, then the rest is a cinch.

bryehn

I have never been so glad to see a game end, I did not like the last two chapters at all (aka let's just string a few bosses together). And talk about no payout on the story side of things.

Extremely shallow game with horrible platforming and the auto camera was infuriating at times, both in platforming sections and in the closed arena boss areas. Getting through it was a matter of mental endurance more than skill-based or challenging.

Great art, overall concept and music, but its charms were gone by chapter 7 for me.

desu

Acquiescence said:
Got the platinum for this today. Most difficult one I've strived for yet. Even harder than Yakuza 3, Mirror's Edge or Red Dead Redemption. And all because of that one, single bastard of a trophy 'Conqueror'. My adivce is, if you can get G rank on Chapter 10, then the rest is a cinch.

Congrats, getting G rank on hard is really a pain in the ass so real accomplishment there. I think will never get that one.

I don't really know much about this game or its development history, but the look of this has my jaw dropping, so decided to order it. I'm always happy to support developers that try unique and different things, so hope it pays off. A lot of the reaction to the game has been positive from what i've seen.

subversus said:
So is it out in Europe? I want to pick it up.
Came out in the UK yesterday so i imagine it would be out in all of Europe.

Picked this up on friday. Love the style of the game, but the gameplay... it seems a bit weedy to me. Insubstantial. Does the combat system pick up and get deeper? Or is it just run to area, bit of dodgy combat, run to next area, repeat (all while looking incredible)?

Snowballo

whatevermort said:
Picked this up on friday. Love the style of the game, but the gameplay... it seems a bit weedy to me. Insubstantial. Does the combat system pick up and get deeper? Or is it just run to area, bit of dodgy combat, run to next area, repeat (all while looking incredible)?

I had the same feeling. :/

SOME-MIST

whatevermort said:
It's more about acquiring the appropriate weapon. How every fight works - even the enemies without weapons - is sort of a rock paper scissors formula:
gale > arch > veil > gale

the ones without a weapon work sort of the same way in that their attacks are similar to that of one of the 3 weapons.

but yes, the core gameplay is dodge attack run rinse and repeat.

Nemesis_

DEM GRAPHICS

k1f3va.jpg

Really enjoying this. The combat is quite simple but there is a little bit of depth to it too. I like the way it's quite accessible, and of course the absolutely amazing artistic direction. So happy that these games still get made this generation.

I hope it sold well =(

SOME-MIST said:
It's more about acquiring the appropriate weapon. How every fight works - even the enemies without weapons - is sort of a rock paper scissors formula:
gale > arch > veil > gale

the ones without a weapon work sort of the same way in that their attacks are similar to that of one of the 3 weapons.

but yes, the core gameplay is dodge attack run rinse and repeat.
That is a shame, played the demo and liked what I was looking at, but not what I was playing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished. Great game, but room for improvement, mostly on the combat side. The mechanics are solid, but the lack of enemy variety and repetition hurt it in the long run.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Rez said:
Which platform performs better?
Neither platform has particularly impressive performance. Both lurk around the 40fps mark during combat, but the PS3 version generally upholds the slightly higher frame rate. It's a hollow victory, really, given that the perceived juddering effect is just as distracting on both platforms.

Personally speaking, having played through both, I'd recommend going with 360 version simply because it reaps the benefits of having 2x MSAA, and no pixellated textures. Even with the performance issues, at least the 360 version offers a cleaner looking image with no pared back assets - making it closer to the original artistic vision for the game.

Check this Digital Foundry article for more details if you're interested.

Hope that helps :)

eXistor

Man, I had such high hopes for this one. Honestly I think it flat-out sucks. It looks freaking great though, but it's not even close to compensating for the horrendously linear level-design and bland controls. I've only just made it to chapter 3 (which is what, 1 hour of gameplay?), but not one moment have I had any fun with it, I'm just getting mad at the lazy level design and stupidly forced combat. I wish they went a different route with this one: ditch the combat altogether and let players explore an audio-visual landscape then it would be a classic for sure. This is just balls.

eXistor said:
Man, I had such high hopes for this one. Honestly I think it flat-out sucks. It looks freaking great though, but it's not even close to compensating for the horrendously linear level-design and bland controls. I've only just made it to chapter 3 (which is what, 1 hour of gameplay?), but not one moment have I had any fun with it, I'm just getting mad at the lazy level design and stupidly forced combat. I wish they went a different route with this one: ditch the combat altogether and let players explore an audio-visual landscape then it would be a classic for sure. This is just balls.

/agree

Also hated the fact to it had that outline of the player and objects that were interactive. like in cartoon where you know what/which object will be ysed due to the outline around it.

Atolm

Picked up this today. So far I'm loving it, much more than the demo, which I found quite confusing. The music is gorgeous.

this game has some of the most ridiculous platforming i have ever seen. it's not even a question of whether you are skilled enough to traverse the platforms. the game is fundamentally flawed in its platorming perception -- the way your character lands his jumps.

i'm sure it'a already been discussed in the thread. but the platforming gets seriously beefed up in the later levels. and coupled with the save system, the point i'm at now may be a make or break moment where either i make it through the platform or i give up and return the game.

pathetic man. as lovely as this game is, it's obvious to see how out-of-date japanese developers have become. there are so many ancient gameplay tenets that have no right to be there in a present day game:

- an unskippable startup screen with, what, 6 or so logos?
- a manual save system. really? plus an auto-save one? why?
- a neat ability to bring yourself back to life. but only after a few times and then you have to start at the last checkpoint. is that really necessary?
- horrible, misguided platforming as discussed

but a remarkable, breathtaking game. yet it recalls for me mirrors edge in how such a brilliant game is so tragically flawed.

Atolm

Barkley's Justice said:

From what I've seen so far, this system is mostly intended to make the platinum/1000G a bit easier. You can beat the game easily by relying only on checkpoints, but it's impossible to achieve G rank for each stage (needed for the hardest achievement/trophy) without manual saves.

Just ordered it for 19,95 pounds at Zavvi. Not impressed by Zavvi lately, but the price is great.

edit: it's even cheaper: 17,95 pounds

mattp

Barkley's Justice said:
this game has some of the most ridiculous platforming i have ever seen. it's not even a question of whether you are skilled enough to traverse the platforms. the game is fundamentally flawed in its platorming perception -- the way your character lands his jumps.

i'm sure it'a already been discussed in the thread. but the platforming gets seriously beefed up in the later levels. and coupled with the save system, the point i'm at now may be a make or break moment where either i make it through the platform or i give up and return the game.

pathetic man. as lovely as this game is, it's obvious to see how out-of-date japanese developers have become. there are so many ancient gameplay tenets that have no right to be there in a present day game:

- an unskippable startup screen with, what, 6 or so logos?
- a neat ability to bring yourself back to life. but only after a few times and then you have to start at the last checkpoint. is that really necessary?
- horrible, misguided platforming as discussed

but a remarkable, breathtaking game. yet it recalls for me mirrors edge in how such a brilliant game is so tragically flawed.
your complaints are pretty ridiculous

almost every game nowadays has an unskippable logo fest

are you really complaining about a manual save system? what if you want multiple save files? you're seriously grasping at straws here

bringing yourself back to life. really? you're issue is "what's the point if you just have to go back to the checkpoint if you use it too many times"? well...don't die too many times. how is this even a problem? it gives you a few tries instead of sending you back to a checkpoint the first time you die

the platforming is clunky

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Barkley's Justice said:
I thought a lot of games these days have manual save systems, or is this because I mostly play platformers, SRPGs and RPGs?

The manual save system makes sense if you want to try to get the trophies/achievements or if I missed a side item/sidequest item. If I made a mistake when the game autosaved, but I had the opportunity load a manual save from before I made a mistake, I can. I appreciate both saves for that. It is also hard to get G-Ranks without manual saves.

Autosave makes sense if you need to restart from a checkpoint and your manual save is nowhere near your checkpoint. The game autosaves at the beginning of a chapter, for example, but sometimes you won't be able to find Lucifel until a quarter into a chapter. Because I only play console games on weekends, or if I need to go out somewhere or study or something, I found autosave very convenient.

And I agree that the platforming is clunky.

mattp said:
your complaints are pretty ridiculous

almost every game nowadays has an unskippable logo fest

are you really complaining about a manual save system? what if you want multiple save files? you're seriously grasping at straws here

bringing yourself back to life. really? you're issue is "what's the point if you just have to go back to the checkpoint if you use it too many times"? well...don't die too many times. how is this even a problem? it gives you a few tries instead of sending you back to a checkpoint the first time you die

the platforming is clunky

what are we doing here? defending trite videogame tenets from bygone eras simply because we're so used to them? why would we care?

el shaddai has more logo screens than most games. don't defend that. don't ever defend that.

in a game structured as el shaddai is, with bountiful autosave locations, the manual save system is extra. it's poor game design. the game even alerts you (briefly after the logo orgy) that it features an auto-save system. but doesn't explain why there's a manual save system as well. old, outdated videogamey nonsense.

and oh, it's my fault for dying so many times, as you're quick to accuse? blame me then, yea? the consumer who is dedicating their money and time into playing the game. totally makes sense. but here's the ridiculousness of it all: i can bring myself back to life on average 3 times or so during a battle. but if i die, i get taken back to the last autosave. which we've already established are doled out rather graciously.effectively then, when i die in a game, i'm spit back to a menu, made to wait for the last autosave to load, which more times than not is literally right before the battle i last died at. my point being: what is the point?

these are simply old ways of making games, my friends. it's outdated and clumsy. much like this beautiful, failed game as a whole.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! I started playing this game and maaaaan this game is weird!!!

it's like if a bunch of ppl were smoking crack and made a game about smoking crack that's about smoking crack,

then that game would be El Shaddai. Ascencion of the meta crack!!

We doin crack son! DAT COCAIiiiiiiiiiiiNNnnnnA Manggggg.

Ill Saint

I make use of the manual save for various reasons. So... I don't agree at all with the argument that it's an 'outdated' system. Meanwhile, this game still keeps bringing me back like few over the last few years have.

JEKKI

maaaan nothing about this game makes any sense~!!!

I mean got dang! like you're fighting monsters, then u walk a bit, then fight more monsters,

then u see the boss and he talks to you, so u fight the boss,

but then u die, but instead of dying u just go to another area and fight more monsters,

then the screen goes blank, and you're in another area fighting monsters again,

then you're side scrolling for no reason at all,

then when you're done, u fight even more monsters,

then u see your friend talking to his crack dealer on the phone,

then u see the boss and fight him, only to die again,

then u see a little girl and follow her, then u fight a pair of pigs,

and the whole time none of it makes any sense!!!

I dont even kno if Im playing the game right!!!!

anyways... that's my review of El Shamokin Dai Crack.

JEKKI

I made it to Chapter 10 now...

the fuck am I playing?!?!

u got like these Hello Kitty characters playing on the beach and hula hoop,

until one of them eats another one and turns into sum kinda monster,

then u get on a motorcycle for no reason,

and u drive it til u get to the rock concert,

and finally u go insane and battle your inner demons or sum shyt...

I swear man this fucking game...

JEKKI

whoo~!! I beat it!!

there was this part on the last stage where you're climbing rocks n shyt and the narrator is all like babbling about why he's the bad guy or something and he's all like "Do you understand??"

and I'm sitting here playing the game like NO!! No I do not understand!!!!

anyways, El Shaddai. Ascension of the Butt Crack.

I look forward to never playing this game again!!

MvHUk.jpg

Picked this is up finally for €25 today.
So good.

I'm on the level, the Tower, are there platforms I can't reach or is there a skill in reaching them I don't have?

Atolm

Zeouterlimits said:
Picked this is up finally for €25 today.
So good.

I'm on the level, the Tower, are there platforms I can't reach or is there a skill in reaching them I don't have?

Some platforms can only be reached with double jump + dash from Gale, aside from that there's no missing skills.

bubnbob

Banned
Are there any pointers on the combat for this game? How does parrying work? Can you cancel out of combos? What are some common tactics for handling enemies? I feel like I am fighting the system. There isn't even a "dash/roll" of some sort, unless you have the Gale.

K.Sabot

Picked this up finally.

The game is absolutely brilliant. The style, the music, the colors, the difficulty, the music!

I feel that everyone needs experience the game for its aesthetic at least.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
picked this up in the gamestation sale, playing it at chapter 2 level design is breath taking, too early in the game do get a full impression but liking it so far.

Cronox

Banned
So, was the bug on 360 that freezes your game after every enemy kill once you get the Rest in Peace achievement ever fixed?

StuBurns

Banned
I've had the game a few months, just got around to playing it today, and it leaves a really dreadful first impression. I don't know if it gets much better, but so far I think it's pretty awful. How long is it? I'd quite like to see all the areas, but if it's too long I won't bother.

Zapages

I just got it on the PS3 for 19 dollars. I hope its worth it and combat is not too hard. I liked the platforming and I hope the story is good and somewhat easy to follow. :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just got it on the PS3 for 19 dollars. I hope its worth it and combat is not too hard. I liked the platforming and I hope the story is good and somewhat easy to follow. :)
The combat is very forgiving. If you're playing on Normal, you'll have five chances to revive yourself for the level until you finally die and must restart from the last checkpoint. It isn't very complicated either. Do not go into this game expecting Devil May Cry. It isn't very hard. You may have issues with the platforming, however. The platforming isn't awesome.

Think of El Shaddai primarily as a pure sensory experience.

The narrative isn't the game's strongest suit, but I like what it did with the original manuscript. It's nice to see games like this.

Hope you enjoy it! I know I did. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've had the game a few months, just got around to playing it today, and it leaves a really dreadful first impression. I don't know if it gets much better, but so far I think it's pretty awful. How long is it? I'd quite like to see all the areas, but if it's too long I won't bother.

Really? The first impression was what sold me on the game, and it only get better from there.

To each their own.

It's about 8 hours.

Top Bottom