• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring becomes the most awarded GOTY game in history, surpassinhg TLOU 2

I thought I loved it until I visited some family over Christmas and one of my nephews has like four character saves with twice as much time as I have.

KingT731

Makes sense. There's more publications than ever and the game is the most accessible FS game in ages. I know people may feel whatever way about the game but there's tons of variables in why the game was chosen and different experiences. For example I know people who have legitimately played less than 10 games this year with Elden Ring being 30% of their playing time. So it brings up another point...people don't play ALL of these games.

What's the performance like these days on console? Haven't played it in a while. Is it still kinda shit?
A little better still rough in some parts.

Last edited:
i've gotten to general radahn now and after seeing that fight and that cutscene.... yeah in hindsight that game was well fit for the GOTY award

Yeah, Radahn is easily the most memorable, epic boss fight i have ever experienced in my life. The spectacle alone is by itself incredible, but it's also his backstory that cemented his appeal for me.

Anyway, i thought i was fucking done with all the outer zones before Volcano Manor and Leyndell a couple of days ago. Turns out i was completely wrong. I take a turn here, i take a turn there, and BAM, there's a Fort i never knew about. BAM, that area below i had no idea was playable? I just found a route to go there, went there. Found a couple of caves along the way, well fuck.

86 hours in and i think i'm half way through. What an incredible game, easily the best game released in the last 7 years, and one of the best games ever made.

sainraja

I keep dying at the first dungeon encounter I have come across haha so I need to keep leveling for now but my only thing with Elden Ring is, you have put huge bosses in the game (I looked up Radahn's boss fight) and you are this small thing "slashing" swords and "casting" spells at him and there is no impact from that to the boss, where you are just staring at the health bar going down, using potions so yours doesn't go down and hoping not to die. The start of the encounter is impressive I will say....the large boss encounter should have been like BOTW (the rock creatures) or Ico, where you can get a chance to climb on top to do some damage, maybe even the giants in BOTW (where you have to run and aim at the eye). Maybe there are other bosses that allow you but seeing your small character slash/dash where the boss animation continues without any sort of impact to it (outside of the heatlh bar going down slowly) looks silly lol.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Elden Ring has outgrown gaming. There’s nothing left to conquer.

Time to invade other industries to conquer.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I don't know who's going to be able to beat this monster. Even a heavy hitter like Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is releasing the same year as Starfield, RE4R, and FFXVI, so there will be a pretty decent spread on the GOTY awards later this year.

I think Elden Ring will be holding the title for a pretty long time.

i'm happy for miyazaki and from software.

it's a great game but i wish i had got the same enjoyment out of it that others seemed to. don't get me wrong i played the shit out of it and had a fun time with it but it has some big flaws. i want to go back to it and see if my mind changes but i'm waiting and praying for a big DLC release.
So I'm about 25-30 hours in and I feel this way. I don't get how this FROM game is scoring better and more acclaimed than their others. It has a lot of flaws, that consistently keep me from wanting to continue playing the game.

Back to the original topic, kind of surprised TLOU2 was the leader before. Probably more awards than in the past, but 2020 was a great year for games. I love TLOU2 but I thought GoT was better.

sainraja

i'm happy for miyazaki and from software.

it's a great game but i wish i had got the same enjoyment out of it that others seemed to. don't get me wrong i played the shit out of it and had a fun time with it but it has some big flaws. i want to go back to it and see if my mind changes but i'm waiting and praying for a big DLC release.
I am sort of in the same boat and I have never played any Souls game prior to this. Unlike you though, I just keep dying...I am not far into the game either lol. So I will keep at it and hopefully it will click. I loved BOTW and this adopts aspects from that game so....yeah I will keep going.

Last edited:

Fbh

Nice, congrats to the team at FROM. To me it was also by far the best game of the year.
With that said it also benefited from a fairly weak year in terms of releases, I think this year awards will be a bit more split.

Topher

Gold Member
Achieved by counting Facebook, Twitch, and instagram polls.

Just not true. Look at the source HTML of the GOTY page for 2020 and count for the number of times facebook, twitch and instagram are referenced. I count 15 times and several of those votes are for games other than TLOU 2 and a few are references that have nothing to do with GOTY selections at all.

view-source:https://www.gameawards.net/2020/09/2020.html

Last edited:
Just not true. Look at the source HTML of the GOTY page for 2020 and count for the number of times facebook, twitch and instagram are referenced. I count 15 times and several of those votes are for games other than TLOU 2 and a few are references that have nothing to do with GOTY selections at all.

view-source:https://www.gameawards.net/2020/09/2020.html
Someone on era posted how they were counting twitter content creators with like 54 followers...TLOU2 is one of the greatest games ever made, but seems they were fluffing the numbers quite a bit.

I keep dying at the first dungeon encounter I have come across haha so I need to keep leveling for now but my only thing with Elden Ring is, you have put huge bosses in the game (I looked up Radahn's boss fight) and you are this small thing "slashing" swords and "casting" spells at him and there is no impact from that to the boss, where you are just staring at the health bar going down, using potions so yours doesn't go down and hoping not to die. The start of the encounter is impressive I will say....the large boss encounter should have been like BOTW (the rock creatures) or Ico, where you can get a chance to climb on top to do some damage, maybe even the giants in BOTW (where you have to run and aim at the eye). Maybe there are other bosses that allow you but seeing your small character slash/dash where the boss animation continues without any sort of impact to it looks silly lol.

It depends, you can stagger him and break his stance, depends on your level and gear i think. Radahn isn't big compared to other bosses, i say he's medium. Just wait till you experience his moveset, his patterns.

Now the truly big fuckers, i agree with you completely on being some funny shit. If i'm pure melee (which i am), 95% of my fight with these guys is with their feet.

Topher

Gold Member
Someone on era posted how they were counting twitter content creators with like 54 followers...TLOU2 is one of the greatest games ever made, but seems they were fluffing the numbers quite a bit.

Nope. There are only 8 selections for TLOU 2 that were made from twitter. There were 8 other selections made from twitter that were for games other than TLOU 2.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Yeah this was talked about on here in a previous thread. The way 2020's GOTY awards tally was handled is a big reason as to why there's stricter guidelines now on what gets counted toward the aggregate. Moving forward it'll be a collaborative effort between multiple members on Era, instead of an individual person running a blog.

sainraja

It depends, you can stagger him and break his stance, depends on your level and gear i think. Radahn isn't big compared to other bosses, i say he's medium. Just wait till you experience his moveset, his patterns.

Now the truly big fuckers, i agree with you completely on being some funny shit. If i'm pure melee (which i am), 95% of my fight with these guys is with their feet.
Gotcha and yeah I also will mostly try to be melee but maybe with big bosses I might experiment a bit.

Fredrik

It’s not. I felt rewarded for exploring every nook and cranny with new gear or items to make me stronger, hence making the difficulty go down.
Yeah this is it. The exploration is what makes it so special. It’s a rare thing today to have a game of this size with this much freedom and to have proper exploration rewards that actually affects the game and not just increase a number of something to collect, and all with almost no hand-holding at all.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Eh. TLOU2 throws out all the subtlety and focus of the first game, for a by the numbers revenge story, and a cackhanded, self contradictory message about violence. It fails to pull off its central conceit of getting you to empathise with the bad guy, because it uses cynical, lazy writing to do it.

I liked the game the first time around, but slogging through it again, its shortcomings are obvious.
The game is about making you feel. Like... real feelings. you are supposed to be a mad, angry, sad and empathizing.
There is nothing lazy about it's writing.

There is nothing triggering me more as "bad writing". It's not a fucking book. I think the characters were genius and the fact that I felt bad for Owen and Abby in the end, really say something.
Some people are more stubborn than others and will never accept that game.
it is best seen when you watch some ending reactions on youtube. There are 2 groups of people. Those who didn't understand the game, never let go - the stubborn people who still wanted to kill Abby during that ending.
And the 2nd group who full screamed at Ellie for trying to kill Abby. I think this is how you are supposed to feel if you let the game take you for a spin

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah this was talked about on here in a previous thread. The way 2020's GOTY awards tally was handled is a big reason as to why there's stricter guidelines now on what gets counted toward the aggregate. Moving forward it'll be a collaborative effort between multiple members on Era, instead of an individual person running a blog.

Probably a good thing that there will be standardized guidelines going forward, but after looking at the selections made from 2020, this notion that someone used social media to fudge the results just doesn't hold up. We are talking about a couple dozen selections overall and barely a majority of those were for TLOU 2. Take away every single social media selection in 2020 and TLOU 2 still has over 300 votes.

I don't know who's going to be able to beat this monster. Even a heavy hitter like Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is releasing the same year as Starfield, RE4R, and FFXVI, so there will be a pretty decent spread on the GOTY awards later this year.

I think Elden Ring will be holding the title for a pretty long time.

Also, no one else will care in any following year to do this much sleuthing for awards.

Last edited:
Also, no one else will care in any following year to do this much sleuthing for awards. This is where the latest GOTY award is from lol

Screenshot-2023-01-03-at-17-53-48-Los-mejores-juegos-del-2022.png
Similar sites are used all the time...if it was only ign, gamespot etc counted people would complain. I think this years era team is doing a decent job at who to count and who to leave off of the total.

Similar sites are used all the time...if it was only ign, gamespot etc counted people would complain. I think this years era team is doing a decent job at who to count and who to leave off of the total.

At the end of the day it’s all just the same bias, to say some of those TLOU2 awards were fake or low effort and then finding votes on obscure Spanish and Portuguese market sites is just funny.

I can almost guarantee this much effort will not be put into this next year.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It is really really good. And I never played TLOU2 just because it didn't look interesting. Elden Ring is definitely the best game this year Now let us prepare for Tears of the Kingdom.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah this is it. The exploration is what makes it so special. It’s a rare thing today to have a game of this size with this much freedom and to have proper exploration rewards that actually affects the game and not just increase a number of something to collect, and all with almost no hand-holding at all.
Couldnt disagree more. 99% of the stuff i found while exploring didnt apply to my builds. It was all a waste of time.

The Souls games and BB were far more rewarding with rings, weapons, and gear that actually helped you become stronger.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Couldnt disagree more. 99% of the stuff i found while exploring didnt apply to my builds. It was all a waste of time.

The Souls games and BB were far more rewarding with rings, weapons, and gear that actually helped you become stronger.
There is no worse feeling that going through 40 minute cave, beating a boss repeat or enemy with a health bar... and getting some shit miracle spell. yay
Then o it 12 times over

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People were spreading it around like it was some major reveal.

The 54 follower account was a startup podcast by an IGN writer.

Madflavor

Probably a good thing that there will be standardized guidelines going forward, but after looking at the selections made from 2020, this notion that someone used social media to fudge the results just doesn't hold up. We are talking about a couple dozen selections overall and barely a majority of those were for TLOU 2. Take away every single social media selection in 2020 and TLOU 2 still has over 300 votes.

I'm waiting to see where 2022's total will end up. If the overall total ends up in the 450 - 525 range again then I wouldn't be convinced that 2022 only had a couple dozen selections that shouldn't have been counted. I know things come and go, but the 200 difference is just too big to simply write off as a couple of dozen suspect selections. I'm not just talking about individual social media accounts with a tiny following. I mean I don't have much else to say on the matter until the dust settles. If 2022's GOTY award total edges closer to the 644 total that 2020 had, then I'd be more open minded.

Top Bottom