• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring is an evolution of Dark Souls says Miyazaki (IGN interview)

sublimit

Banned
eldenringinterview-blogroll-1561131757122_1280w.jpg

By adding larger and more open environments, he believes that the game will evolve on a larger scale.

“With a larger world, new systems and action mechanics inevitably become necessary,” he said. “In that sense, I think that Elden Ring is a more natural evolution of Dark Souls.”

“While the narrow and complex dungeons of our previous games were indeed interconnected, Elden Ring’s environments will be much more open and vast,” said Miyazaki. “The more extensive world will form the base of Elden Ring’s gameplay, and its mechanics are designed with that type of environment in mind.”

Miyazaki gives three reasons to why he wanted to introduce this new type of environment: showing the game’s world and lore on a grander scale, adding more freedom and depth to exploration, and creating more variation to battles.

As an example of how Elden Ring’s new scale will change the Souls-like formula, the main character will be able to traverse the world on a horse, with the ability to fight enemies while mounted. While combat in Dark Souls was focused on positioning yourself favorably even in small rooms and narrow corridors, Miyazaki believes that more open environments can create more diverse situations.

However, a more open world doesn’t mean that we will see vibrant towns and cityscapes in Elden Ring.

“Villages will be the dark dungeon-like ruins that you have come to expect from us,” Miyazaki said, laughing.

“Creating a more open game is a big challenge for us. If we were to add towns on top of that, it would become a bit too much, so we decided to create an open-world-style game focused on what we are best at.”
Miyazaki says that while studying various open-world games, he refrained from being too heavily inspired by them, and rather chose to focus on making an experience only FromSoftware could deliver.

Instead of creating Elden Ring’s main story, Martin wrote about a time long before the era the player actually explores. Miyazaki gave two reasons for why he wanted Martin to write Elden Ring’s mythology, rather than the main story.

“Storytelling in video games – at least the way we do it at FromSoftware – comes with a lot of restrictions for the writer. I didn’t think it was a good idea to have Martin write within those restrictions. By having him write about a time the player isn’t directly involved in, he is free to unleash his creativity in the way he likes. Furthermore, as FromSoftware we didn’t want to create a more linear and storydriven experience for Elden Ring. Both issues could be solved by having Martin write about the world’s history instead.”

Miyazaki compared the mythology that Martin wrote for Elden Ring to that of the dungeon master’s handbook in a tabletop RPG. As a writer, it must have been a largely different experience for Martin as well.

“It really is like a guide for the world’s lore, and therefore feels quite different from his novels. As someone that loves to learn about a world’s setting, it was very exciting to read,” Miyazaki told me.

“The player will be able to learn about Martin’s mythology through exploration,” confirmed Miyazaki. “We are known for letting the player explore the game’s lore through fragments of environmental storytelling, and this time around Martin’s story is what you will be trying to unravel. The period the player actually explores is still connected to the old times, so as you slowly discover why the world has become the way it is, you will learn more about Martin’s mythology as well.”

Now that Miyazaki is collaborating with Martin, one would think that Elden Ring is going to be an even more direct and storydriven experience, but the contrary appears to be true. Not only Martin’s mythology, but also the approach of the main story by Miyazaki himself is closer to Dark Souls than Sekiro.

“There is no fixed main character in Elden Ring,” said Miyazaki. “We mostly leave it up to the player to decide the characteristics and personality of the character they create.”
Miyazaki did say that he and his team enjoyed portraying NPC characters in a more detailed manner for Sekiro, and with Martin’s mythology as a source of inspiration, he believes that Elden Ring’s NPC characters are more compelling than in his previous works.

One thing that Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne and even Déraciné have in common is that they all have a Western fantasy setting. Sekiro was Miyazaki’s first game to have a Japanese setting, but for Elden Ring Miyazaki is going back to his Western fantasy roots.

“Depending on the game’s setting, beauty, justice, and strength all have a different nuance,” he mused. “With a Japanese setting, those aspects had to be portrayed in a different way. I always want to create worlds with a beautiful aesthetic, but the approach toward that goal is always different. While for Elden Ring we are going back to Western fantasy, the game’s themes are very different from our previous works, which means that beauty, justice, and strength will be different once again. That difference has a big impact on our games as a whole.”
More at the link:

I still remember buying Dark Souls and hating it. So many people had gushed about Demon's that I decided to go ahead and try it. My first impression was like, "attack buttons mapped to the shoulders, wtf is this shit."
I played it for like an hour, shelved it, and didn't touch it again for over two years. I picked it up again, and for some reason it clicked.
I've played and beaten every Soulsborne since, and From quickly became one of my top devs.
It's doubly strange because I'm the type of guy that will drop the difficulty to easy the second I start to get frustrated, but for some reason I stick with these games. A testament to their quality I guess.

Codes 208

I still remember buying Dark Souls and hating it. So many people had gushed about Demon's that I decided to go ahead and try it. My first impression was like, "attack buttons mapped to the shoulders, wtf is this shit."
I played it for like an hour, shelved it, and didn't touch it again for over two years. I picked it up again, and for some reason it clicked.
I've played and beaten every Soulsborne since, and From quickly became one of my top devs.
It's doubly strange because I'm the type of guy that will drop the difficulty to easy the second I start to get frustrated, but for some reason I stick with these games. A testament to their quality I guess.
Pretty much the same for me. I got stuck on the capra demon and said “fuck it!” For years.

Then i tried again with DS2:SotfS and that was a huge mistake, i got stuck in no man’s wharf (i didnt realize i was supposed to go towards the other area first where you fight the old giant.)

It really wasnt until DS3 where it all clicked for me. And holy shit did it ever click. After i beat DS3 i reverted back to DS1 and beat it all the way through (including the dlc) along with ds2. And finally: bloodborne.

Ive beaten each game several times now. I definitely have my favorite moments from each. The music is amazing, i love the settings, the lore is super deep and interesting, the designs are great and the branching paths makes the replay value so much than your usual linear rpg titles. but its amazes me that i almost passed these gems just because i considered so damn difficult at first (theyre still pretty hard but not unbeatable if you know what youre doing.)

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned

This was also my experience.

There are two groups of players. The first group played it, got wrecked and never went back to it. The other group are the absolute chads who persevered and went on to love the series.

Stimpak

A similar thing happened to me with both Demon Souls and Dark Souls the first time I played them both. I ended up dropping it and returning later. As you said, the second time around something just clicks.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm wondering if they are "splitting" the Dark Souls formula down two distinct avenues.

To preface, Bloodborne is my favorite Souls game by a wide margin, but I acknowledge the criticisms against it and I realize it discards many of the distinct things that makes a Dark Souls game a Dark Souls game. I like it because it emphasizes player skill over equipment. Many people hated it for that same reason: your player stats and your equipment stats didn't matter as much, especially your armor.

Sekiro is (apparently) even more action-focused and even less "RPG" compared to Bloodborne, and it definitely less "RPG" than Demon's/Dark Souls. For a player like me who loved Bloodborne, I'll probably end up liking Sekiro more than Bloodborne because it focuses on action.

However, Dark Souls fans have kinda been left in the cold for awhile. DS3 was good but not great. I think Elden Ring could end up being a true next-gen Souls game.

They already affirmed that Elden Ring will have a heavier focus on RPG elements. Now they're affirming an open-world dotted with "villages" that are more akin to the distinct areas of old DS titles.

If they handle the overall "series" this way going forward -- one game focusing on action, the other highlighting the RPG elements -- I wouldn't complain one bit.

cireza

Banned
Everything that From Software make is an "evolution" of Dark Souls.

There was a time were From Software were actually making various kind of games.

This might seem a bit harsh to some, but to me, From Software is still the same average developer as before, except that now they only make the same game again an again.

This might seem a bit harsh to some, but to me, From Software is still the same average developer as before, except that now they only make the same game again an again.
A bit harsh, but understandable. Miyazaki's games caters to the traditionalist gamers a lot more than other games from developers. So he's build a lot of good will with that segment of the gaming population. However, his games are meticulous in their execution and nearly flawless in every facet of the game. I salute Miyazaki for being another Japanese Auteur that I and many other can look forward to in terms of his next projects.

Just waiting patiently for Kojima to invite him to his studio one day....

Platinumed all three current Dark Souls games and Bloodborne so I sure as hell can't wait to give this game a spin if it's like those. Looking forward to seeing how they handle the open world element of the game. Something new for them!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I don't know about that, most of their recent games might be similar (I personally think Sekiro is very different than souls games even tho it share some elements) but most their games was pretty damn good and no where near "average". Most games form Yakuza team also very Yakuza like experience even with Fist of the North Star and recent their Judgment but if most their game is good then they cant be considered "average developers".

DavidGzz

Rock hard for this game. Sounds perfect, I just hope it doesn't feel too boring and empty if it is indeed vast and supposed to come out early next year. Maybe it will be delayed for the new gen launch.

Fbh

Look, I'm buying this day 1, am really looking forward to it and it's probably going to be my game of the year in whichever year it releases

But I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm a tiny bit disappointed that they are going back to a dark medieval fantasy setting. Especially after dark Souls 3 which in my opinion went a bit too hard with the been there done that feeling.

But at least it's sounding like it's going to have some big changes. And it might end up being the first next gen FROM game which in itself is already hype as fuck

Last edited:

They said years ago they had an Armored Core game in development, assuming it hasn't been canceled.

GreyHorace

Is an open world really necessary for a Souls game? From the way Miyazaki says it, there won't be little hamlets or big cities you can rest in. Everything will be a hellscape just like in every Souls title.

To me, open world implies a landscape where in some area humans have gathered themselves in a commune where they can live in peace. But take one wrong turn and the harsh reality of the land hits you in the form of either wild animals, human robbers like bandits, or worse yet, monsters. In The Witcher 3 you could be chilling comfortably in Novigrad but once you cross the Yaruga into Velen there are horros aplenty. Same thing with Red Dead Redemption 2. Saint Denis is a bastion of civilization that's surrounded by the really creepy vibe of the Lemoyne swamps.

Stuart360

We are done with Dark Souls, we want to move on to new things', continues to make Souls style games.
Love From Software.

VertigoOA

Banned
Is an open world really necessary for a Souls game? From the way Miyazaki says it, there won't be little hamlets or big cities you can rest in. Everything will be a hellscape just like in every Souls title.

To me, open world implies a landscape where in some area humans have gathered themselves in a commune where they can live in peace. But take one wrong turn and the harsh reality of the land hits you in the form of either wild animals, human robbers like bandits, or worse yet, monsters. In The Witcher 3 you could be chilling comfortably in Novigrad but once you cross the Yaruga into Velen there are horros aplenty. Same thing with Red Dead Redemption 2. Saint Denis is a bastion of civilization that's surrounded by the really creepy vibe of the Lemoyne swamps.

Well he wasn’t really saying open world. Larger more open environments, yes. We wouldn’t really call ocarina of time open world...

Sekiro added verticality and platforming. This will seemingly widen the playing field.

I enjoy the labyrinth design of all previous games quite a bit tho. It scratches that metroidvania itch exceptionally well if not better than anything else. A change like this could rub lots of fans the wrong way but I’m open to the change, it’s not like it’s called Bloodborne 2 where we have specific expectations.

I’ll be surprised if their current Bloodborne/ds3/sekiro engine can handle larger environments.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Well he wasn’t really saying open world. Larger more open environments, yes. We wouldn’t really call ocarina of time open world...

Sekiro added verticality and platforming. This will seemingly widen the playing field.

I enjoy the labyrinth design of all previous games quite a bit tho. It scratches that metroidvania itch exceptionally well if not better than anything else. A change like this could rub lots of fans the wrong way but I’m open to the change, it’s not like it’s called Bloodborne 2 where we have specific expectations.

I’ll be surprised if their current Bloodborne/ds3/sekiro engine can handle larger environments.
Okay that makes sense. IMO when someone says open-world that comes with all the implications of the game template set by developers like Rockstar, Ubisoft and Bethesda.

VertigoOA

Banned
I don’t expect empty filler space like more narrative-driven games who’s main gameplay mechanic is to roam around from question mark to question mark on a map.

Sekiro had some larger environments that would take quite a bit of time to move across in something if similar size in their previous games. But the platforming and ninja grapple hook sped that up and let you cross distance at efficient speeds.

If they intend even an incremental increase to map size, I could see the need for a solution.

But this is from software. I wouldn’t be surprised if the horse always stayed with you as a combat tool mechanic.

Hearing that martin is only writing the backstory and not involved with the in-game narrative is comforting.

I don’t expect anything but greatest of all time tier quality

sublimit

Banned

I think the game will have multiple but small "rest" areas/hubs. Something like Nexus,Firelink shrine or Majula. Maybe a bit bigger than those and with more exploration and things to do.
It's just that there will not be any big cities like Novigrad. I'm ok with that if it will make sense in terms of the game's overall world setting.

GreyHorace

I think the game will have multiple but small "rest" areas/hubs. Something like Nexus,Firelink shrine or Majula. Maybe a bit bigger than those and with more exploration and things to do.
It's just that there will not be any big cities like Novigrad. I'm ok with that if it will make sense in terms of the game's overall world setting.
Kind of like the Temple in Sekiro? Except this time there'll be multiple areas like that. I'm guessing Miyazaki's emphasis on the horse means we have to travel to these areas physically.

Wimbledon

My experience with the souls series. lol

Dark souls 1 at the 4 kings boss
Reason i couldn't complete the game - accidentally hit the merchant who gives potions for me to hit ghost. Now she won't do bussiness with me and no other merchant sells the stuff, to be able to get to the 4 kings boss.

Dark souls 2 The scholor of first sin edition - I got very far got stuck on the bridge heading up to the castle facing those statue warriors and the wooly mammoth knights on the bridge. Stopped playing out of boredom i don't even know how far i was into the game.

Dark souls 3 Played with freinds got extremly far fought the Dancer of the Boreal valley and then stopped. We didn't complete the game cause other games came out.

___

Then i played sekiro got stuck at the Butter fly lady cause my dumb ass wasted the items to get rid of the illusion enemies so that i can fight her without having to deal with the illusions.

But other than that i'm super excited for this game. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
This game might as well be called Dark Souls 4.

I am not excited though for a new formula, world and lore and even new mechanics.

The larger scale open world has me interested in what that actually means? Open like Skyrim open?

nani17

are in a big trouble
To be honest I liked the trailer but I stopped playing Serkio because I've already played it. It's just like the other titles with a small few mechanics changed. Boss fights enemies etc all felt far too familiar to me.

So not really sure about this game but who knows I might change my mind

sublimit

Banned
To be honest I liked the trailer but I stopped playing Serkio because I've already played it. It's just like the other titles with a small few mechanics changed. Boss fights enemies etc all felt far too familiar to me.

So not really sure about this game but who knows I might change my mind
I think it will be a completely different game than Sekiro. Unlike Sekiro it sounds like it will offer a much bigger variety of options in terms of combat strategy (just like Souls games also had).

kevin_trinh

Bloodborne still has the best world setting, enemy design and unique weapon, Victorian setting> West fantasy > Feudal Japan

Praise the Sun this game sounds awesome. Just need some footage and a release date. Miyazaki is like another Kojima for me. Makes amazing games and has the Midas touch.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Horse combat and villages to discover? That’s a huge change IMO. I found out about Demon’s Souls when it was still only available in the east. I bought the Chinese+Korean version and it was amazing. No other game had this type cryptic, constructive, and overall expansive world to dive into. That was my King’s Field in a way. I definitely see where there is more way to utilize the Souls formula. Sekiro did that well. It didn’t have to be the same, but I think what stays the same are things that make the games what they are.

Your experience with Dark Souls and then watching it progress to Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. Those changes were well accepted right? It’s great that there’s more to discover with their next entry. I can’t image horse travel in Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

What I think doesn’t mix well are mainstream views. I still tone out most of the things said in mainstream media to keep Dark Souls and FROM’s games sacred in a way. There’s something great about a game where the pieces come together so majestically. I sometimes think it’s a culture shock for some players to play their games. Too many people want a well rounded experience with press and go game mechanics.

Last edited:
When I read the OP, I actually got Shadow of the Colossus vibes from the horse riding and isolated atmosphere....imagine that mixed in with the things that made Dark Souls great! Sounds like it has alot of potential if executed properly. This is making me wanna resume Bloodborne and Sekiro :p

Kumomeme

just how souls combat become inspiration to other rpg, here we can expect similliar effect to future open world rpg

dirthead

Banned
Really, if you took what this game's shaping up to be, expanded it into a full MMO with its gameplay intact, it'd pretty much be the next big thing as far as I'm concerned. It's SO close.

I want persistent coop multiplayer in a Souls universe. It really would be the next step. MMOs have always had trash gameplay. You can see how all the pieces are there. They just need to do it. A really awesome, deep loot system, persistent multiplayer, raiding, and Souls caliber combat mechanics.

Just fucking do it already and save us from a fucking re-release of an MMO that belongs in a museum (more time has passed between the release of World of Warcraft and today than time passed between the release of the original 1993 Doom and WOW). Ugh.

VertigoOA

Banned
I wonder what games’ press editor is gonna steal my line in their fake review :/

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Man i really hate these private showings. It's such a lame PR tactic.
-Gather a few nerds who pretend to be journalists in a room.
-Show them something that could end up being very different in the final product.
-Let the nerds make videos and write about it in order to generate hype (and for them to generate clicks and popularity)
-Give the middle finger to your fans the people who will actually pay for it.

Who wins:The company and the "journalist" nerds.
Who loses: The fans who will base their expectations on someone else's biased coverage.

Dontero

Banned
Meh it seems like game i don't actually want to play like Sekiro.

1. I liked Demon's and Dark and BB lore much more than some Martin schlock. Martin quality comes from characters themselves not from the lore which was mediacore at best.
2. Souls level design was what made those games excellent. This and combat. Going open world means losing that touch of excellence.

But hey From needs to earn money. So be a good goy and buy their next open world game. Consume and be hyped about next product.

Hope someone else fills DS void if developers themselves don't want to do it.

Stuart360

Man i really hate these private showings. It's such a lame PR tactic.
-Gather a few nerds who pretend to be journalists in a room.
-Show them something that could end up being very different in the final product.
-Let the nerds make videos and write about it in order to generate hype (and for them to generate clicks and popularity)
-Give the middle finger to your fans the people who will actually pay for it.

Who wins:The company and the "journalist" nerds.
Who loses: The fans who will base their expectations on someone else's biased coverage.
It sucks, annoyingly so, but i think they do it like this to stop all the 'Graphics look terrible, framerate is all over the place, the game is full of bugs, etc style posts that would be all over the web from gamers, for an unfinished game.

xool

Souls level design was what made those games excellent. This and combat. Going open world means losing that touch of excellence.
Mmmh. Assuming he/they can't bring anything to the open world formula..

I liked Demon's and Dark and BB lore much more than some Martin schlock. Martin quality comes from characters themselves not from the lore which was mediacore at best.
I half think this too. Isn't Martin's work reduce to medieval violent soap opera? Yet it seems he's been contracted to write the world's lore not plot .. mmh I just dunno.. maybe it is just for the name.

From the aricle [Miyazaki] :
“Light looks more beautiful in darkness, [..] When there is something beautiful in the middle of a wasteland, we are able to appreciate it more. One jewel doesn’t look like much when you have a pile of them, but if you find one jewel in the midst of mud, it is worth so much more.”
Makes me think :
  • Could be an interesting world
  • Miyazaki is a better writer than Martin

Last edited:
Top Bottom