• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING is the best selling title of February 2022 and the best selling game of 2022 so far in the US

FrankWza

lol threads keep popping up about the success of elden ring and fanboys are so butthurt its doing well they look for anything to downlplay its success. game is selling gangbusters. game of the year once again from soft.
Amazing news. Hope this tell industry how important art direction are to games.

Can't really understand why Sony fans are so salty about.
What’s this made up narrative?
The souls series started on PlayStation and the PS5 is the only platform you can play the full lineup. Are you pretending this game has been adopted as a game on a different platform? Because the 2 best performing versions are PS4 bc and PS5. Not to mention the best selling.

kingfey

Banned
Why has barely anyone bought Babylon's Fall?
And, yeah, a person talked about Horizon, I mentioned its prestige among the industry. Don't know why that's bothering you.
The game has prestige. That doesn't undermine ER's. At all. It's just a fact. Stop being triggered over stuff that wasn't said.
Stop assuming things.
Its your tone, and the way you typed it
You made it a big deal of something that is so simple, for people to understand.

Swift_Star

Banned
Its your tone, and the way you typed it
You made it a big deal of something that is so simple, for people to understand.
You read the way you wanted to and we all know why YOU did it.
It's on you.
Again, stop assuming things and stop getting triggered.
Everyone that has been reading the OT knows I'm constantly there and playing ER, I'm lvl 75 and 42h in, str/fth build, using the Rusted Anchor as the main weapon. So stop embarrassing yourself any further with this.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What’s this made up narrative?
The souls series started on PlayStation and the PS5 is the only platform you can play the full lineup. Are you pretending this game has been adopted as a game on a different platform? Because the 2 best performing versions are PS4 bc and PS5. Not to mention the best selling.
Those two people often create fake narratives in their head.

Do you assume the UK split is the same all around the world or do you have a source for global split?

Where is that 5m Steamspy number from?
I see 10m-20m but the site is highly unreliable anyway.
Estimates based on number of reviews like the one steamdb is showing are more reliable these days.

It was the first number I saw getting reported. In light of the more insane 10 million & 20 million estimates (which would bleed into March which IDK is partly included in February NPD anyway), it's probably a more realistic, safer number to go with for right now (& for February sales).

What are the # of reviews for it on SteamDB?

Halo is free to play and probably doesn’t track the digital sales of the campaign (dlc) vs the physical combo retail sales. It still charted platform specific. Same with Forza. Forza Horizon 3 (pre game pass) wasnt some combined chart topper either. They’re still successful games…

If you're saying Halo Infinite was successful in terms of sales, well it did fall off NPD pretty quickly, but keep in mind you only needed to buy at retail for the campaign if you ONLY wanted the campaign; others probably wised up and got a month or two of GamePass to play the campaign there and save some money.

In terms of community population/health, mindshare, general reception, pacing of updated content...I'm gonna be honest; you cannot claim Halo Infinite is a success on any of those metrics. It had a solid first month, then things hit a plateau, after that a sharp nosedive. The game is effectively dead on Steam when you compare it to other big shooters, averaging about 10K concurrent players a day (it's currently at 5,761). That's bad. And I don't think the numbers are magnitudes better on Xbox considering it's not even in the Top 10 most-played there IIRC.

There's really no excuse for why the game is at a standstill in terms of general reception and losing more ground everyday, outside of extremely poor management on behalf of 343i and Matt Booty (who manages over the XGS teams). And I'll be honest, it DOES make me worried about them taking other games into the live-service arena considering how much their marquee IP is struggling to even survive as a GaaS.

So when you see how other games like Perfect Dark are rumored to be potentially live-service in some way, you can start to understand why many people show concern. If it's not a formula working for even their marquee, best-known IP, what's the hope of it working out well for a more niche IP by comparison? And before people mention FH5; admittedly that is doing better than Halo Infinite on Steam. Not by a lot, but it is doing better. However, it seems like it's not doing well enough to bring holdovers from FH4 to it in bigger numbers, because that game's doing near FH5 numbers on Steam as well.

Hopefully these games, specifically Halo Infinite, fix their issues and quickly, because if they take too long, people won't bother to pay attention once suitable alternatives are available and delivering on all fronts. Arguably speaking, there are such available right now between Apex Legends, Valorant, Counter-Strike, Lost Ark, DoTA 2, Destiny 2, Elden Ring etc. And 343i need to be way more communicative with their community, cut down on some of the flippant responses using ongoing conflicts as an excuse for not doing work on their end.

*EDIT: Also I'm not trying to imply that live-service in itself can't work; there are countless games like the few I just mentioned (aside from Elden Ring, which isn't a live-service obviously) which make it work perfectly fine. The issue with Halo Infinite is that it's clear 343i as a studio likely cannot make it work for that game, and I'm even curious if they just pivoted Halo Infinite to a live-service GaaS midway through development.

I mean, live-service content is Matt Booty's specialty, that's what he did at Mojang for Minecraft before getting employed & promoted at Microsoft for XGS. But it's increasingly clear that live-service might not be the best fit for a Halo game, or at least a Halo game helmed by 343i.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Series S must be doing really well, that in turn pushes more and more Gamepass subscriptions and tens of millions of people playing FH5 and Halo Infinite, that's what MS wants and they are succeeding.

kingfey

Banned
You read the way you wanted to and we all know why YOU did it.
It's on you.
Again, stop assuming things and stop getting triggered.
Everyone that has been reading the OT knows I'm constantly there and playing ER, I'm lvl 75 and 42h in, str/fth build, using the Rusted Anchor as the main weapon. So stop embarrassing yourself any further with this.
No one is getting triggered.
I just pointed out your intention that is all.

Dr Bass

spinal_tap_perspective.gif

HFW had 9 days for sales on NPd, while Elden ring had 2 days.

That is why elden ring sold less on PS last month.

I'm not contesting that. But it doesn't really change the fact that HFW outsold it on PS platforms in February. I agree that if they released at the same time or ER came earlier, it'd of been #1 on PS platforms for the month as well.

Still though it's interesting to consider, given there are some folks online (mainly just rabid console warriors) trying to spin a narrative that HFW outright bombed or died at retail, just because of Elden Ring hype. Both games have done very well, just that one did insanely well compared to expectations, is all.

kingfey

Banned
I'm not contesting that. But it doesn't really change the fact that HFW outsold it on PS platforms in February. I agree that if they released at the same time or ER came earlier, it'd of been #1 on PS platforms for the month as well.

Still though it's interesting to consider, given there are some folks online (mainly just rabid console warriors) trying to spin a narrative that HFW outright bombed or died at retail, just because of Elden Ring hype. Both games have done very well, just that one did insanely well compared to expectations, is all.
Hfw started to lose sales once elden ring comeout.

Elden Ring was the thing people talked about it nonstop.

kingfey

Banned
Yes, to say sony games have prestige. Now just stop replying to me. I don't want to proceed with this any further. You're replying in very bad faith.
You replied that, to a comment that was explaining why elden ring sold less on Ps.
Everyone here knows your intentions about that reply. You are not fooling anyone here.

kingfey

Banned
It says, " * Digital sales not included."

FNkurIvVgAcGjsv

This means Dying Light 2 does not include digital sales.
Which explains why halo infinite wasn't on top 20.
The game is mostly digital. So the sales won't be included on that list.

From UK sales, we found that xbox is 85% digital.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox took february with Horizon and Gran turismo coming out?

SOnys chip shortages must be in dire levels to not have hardware for the month of those releases.

Also, Elden Ring kicking ass in the US too with one week less sales than horizon. Booyakashai From Software, good for you.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox took february with Horizon and Gran turismo coming out?

SOnys chip shortages must be in dire levels to not have hardware for the month of those releases.

Also, Elden Ring kicking ass in the US too with one week less sales than horizon. Booyakashai From Software, good for you.
2 days sales. That is how big elden ring was. Imagine 7 days sales.

Hfw started to lose sales once elden ring comeout.

Elden Ring was the thing people talked about it nonstop.

I don't think "losing sales" is the best way to frame it? I mean most AAA blockbusters do a giant bulk of their sales in the first week, do they not? Doesn't mean they stop selling or struggle to clear large volumes week-by-week.

Elden Ring going viral and getting tons of hype doesn't mean HFW died at retail, it's not possible to make that type of correlation. The game will continue to do fine over the next few months; most of the technical issues were quickly resolved in patch updates and the game itself is high-quality stuff. I think there's enough space in the market for it and Elden Ring to thrive even if Elden Ring is the bigger seller of the two.

Also I don't think online conversations mean that much necessarily; it definitely does help for WOM, but some of the biggest games out there don't get a lot of social media traction. Counter-Strike, Dota 2, LoL etc. don't dominate social media, but are still doing extremely well.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Which explains why halo infinite wasn't on top 20.
The game is mostly digital. So the sales won't be included on that list.

From UK sales, we found that xbox is 85% digital.
What are you talking about?

Only games with an asterisk do not include digital sales. The only game with an asterisk on the Xbox list is Dying Light 2. That means Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 are included.

kingfey

Banned
I don't think "losing sales" is the best way to frame it? I mean most AAA blockbusters do a giant bulk of their sales in the first week, do they not? Doesn't mean they stop selling or struggle to clear large volumes week-by-week.

Elden Ring going viral and getting tons of hype doesn't mean HFW died at retail, it's not possible to make that type of correlation. The game will continue to do fine over the next few months; most of the technical issues were quickly resolved in patch updates and the game itself is high-quality stuff. I think there's enough space in the market for it and Elden Ring to thrive even if Elden Ring is the bigger seller of the two.

Also I don't think online conversations mean that much necessarily; it definitely does help for WOM, but some of the biggest games out there don't get a lot of social media traction. Counter-Strike, Dota 2, LoL etc. don't dominate social media, but are still doing extremely well.
Usually most sales happen through mouth to mouth. HFW didnt get 2-3 weeks to let that happen.

It will pick up sales later, once elden ring chatter dies. But right now, elden ring is stealing the spotlight from that game.

kingfey

Banned
What are you talking about?

Only games with an asterisk do not include digital sales. The only game with an asterisk on the Xbox list is Dying Light 2. That means Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 are included.
If that is the case, then I am wrong. I interpreted that tiny line, as sales doesn't contain digital sales.

Three

Do you assume the UK split is the same all around the world or do you have a source for global split?
Digital vs Physical split? I'm talking globally but I also assume that it wouldn't differ much in the UK anyway. It's not like we lack an Internet infrastructure here.

Swift_Star

Banned
I mean, who’s upset with having best selling exclusives AND best performing multiplats available? Not me. My PS5 is being used so much it might actually get the mythical coil whine :)
And I have HFW on ice.
You’re 100% correct. Some people create false narratives or put words in out mouths. These people are always with bad intentions right here.

kingfey

Banned
I mean, who’s upset with having best selling exclusives AND best performing multiplats available? Not me. My PS5 is being used so much it might actually get the mythical coil whine :)
And I have HFW on ice.
careful, i might have to steal it.

kingfey

Banned

Same Pattern for UK and US

Rev
PS5
Switch
Xbox

Units
Switch
Xbox
PS5

PS has $500 and $400. Its also selling as a bundle too. Xbox has XSX $500 and XSS $300, also bundles too. Unlike the ps5, Xbox has all access plan, which makes you pay $25, $35. Switch is $350 oled, $300 regular, and $200 for the handheld version.

PS will always win in term of revenue.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wow at xbox outselling ps5 for the first two months of 2022. I didn't expect that at all. Revenue means they are selling more series S I guess?

Last edited:
Top Bottom