• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring might be one of the most overrated games ever!

clarky

Gold Member
Well im loving it so far. Best game ive personally played for a while.

RDR2 theres an over rated game, absolutely gorgeous but plays like a absolute turd.

Fredrik

Zelda BOTW has repeated enemies throughout the whole game, open world enemy camps all look about the same, there are way too few dungeons and bosses and so easy bosses that once you’ve cleared them once they’re no longer a challenge, some of the exploration rewards are plain dumb, the weapon degrading system makes you use the worst weapon you hold because you want to save the best weapon for later.

It’s still my #2 best game of all time.

There are no perfect games.

As for Elden Ring.
Having no map icons is the reason you explore instead of just going straight to the next waypoint. And the open world exploration is quite possibly the best ever, even after 100 hours I still stumble onto new things even in the early areas. Others has already commented on the magnificent elevator ride, not since Skyrim’s Blackreach has I been so wowed by a world within a world creation.

Torrent is not just another horse, he not only make exploration and open world traversal more fun but actually gives the action new strategies as well and having him summoned instantly where you stand is just a mastermind move in game design.

Yes some bosses are repeated but it also has more bosses than any game I’ve ever played.

The game is truly challenging you to play better, even enemies on the open world can kill you if you don’t pay attention to what they’re doing.

Best thing changed from old FROM games is that there is often ways around challenging areas so you rarely has to bash your head into a wall of increased difficulty, just go somewhere else if things are to difficult and return later when you’re at higher level. And if you absolutely feel like you need to grind to level up you can do that just by exploring instead of doing the same dumb thing over and over for hours.

I agree that the NPCs are too static and the world in general is very static, but it’s still a masterpiece and currently my #4 best game of all time and well worthy all the 10/10 scores.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is called diversity of opinion. I also love TW3 and ER, but find BOTW and RDR2 completely snoozefest. I don't understand why people can see the game with outdated script missions, terrible control, and repetitive gunplay like RD2 good

Because all of that is an opinion, except for outdated scripted missions. That has been a common criticism for most of Rockstar’s games for years now and even big fans of RDR2 (such as myself) will gladly criticize the game for it. Thankfully it just makes up for it with the fantastic story, script, and acting.

Everyone in here getting all mad at the OP, but they had some valid points. Some of you need to learn that you can like a game and also admit that it has flaws.
The game objectively reuses bosses and recycles dungeons to a stupid degree. The open world is not really doing anything special either. I certainly didn't find that it benefits the FROM style.
FROM is my favorite developer going right now, but let's not pretend like the game is actually flawless.

FromSoft faithful, rise up 🗡️🗡️🗡️

hdFqk54.gif
Everyone gon get backstabbed in this bitch.

His doing it to piss people off and to prove his "brave" enough for his unpopular opinion. It's a typical troll dude. Guy is just a degenerate in his mom's basement who has nothing better to do.
Ah, yes, the classic, "someone disagrees with the hive mind, therefore, they must be a troll begging for attention from their mother's basement.". Get. Over. Yourself.

Last edited:

YoungEmperor96

Neo Member
Either way, I'm glad Fromsoft made the open world, instead of another interconnected world. Yeah people might prefer connected world, find open world boring, blah blah,...But this shows they really want to change, instead of following the old formula. When Sekiro came out a lot of people also hated it because it was too different from Souls, too limited playstyle, after a long time people accepted and liked it more. Of course ER has flaws, this is From's first time making an open world at this scale and of course it can't be perfect right away. But at least they do well and can improve the formula drastically later on. And one thing is objective, it was extremely successful commercially. Imagine if ER wasn't open-world but following the same formula as previous games, I doubt it could sell for a third of what it is now. So opinions like open world are mistakes, Souls game is not suitable for open world,... while opinions are opinions, I still find it funny to read.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
It's an amazing game but far from perfect.

I felt like most of the end game bosses were annoying to fight with due to their countless move sets and crazy input tracking when you tried to heal. Seemed like they wanted to force players use summons or ranged attacks. 2h STR builds really got the short stick here, feelsbadman.

The massive open world is good time for your first playthrough but after you get into NG+ cycle you end up running around long distances with your mount and skipping most of the content because it's just not worth it to kill everything again. Sekiro-style gauntlet challenges would be great for this game.

But yeah, the game is still one of the best ever made. It's shame FROM stumbled on a few things but I would never call this game overrated.
Previous games are so replayable because many builds are equally viable. Most so in dark souls 2 I feel. Ds3 favours fast builds compared to previous games but not as much as Elden ring.
But the open world and it’s many crap caves really have a negative effect on replayability. You need to remember which caves were worth going through and which (most) had a crappy reward. It’s a lot of running around.
The game took me 65h to finish and 100 to ‘pre less 100% it. Replaying that is an endeavour.
It is still better open world than oblivion style with levelling. But I preferred more focused world

RyRy93

Haven't got around to Demon's Souls yet but Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro were simply better games.

I don't get how Elden Ring was so praised compared to those games, perhaps reviewers went in expecting an open-world Fromsoft game with no compromises and were already prepared to give out perfect scores. Enjoyed it about as much as DS3 overall.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have been playing the game for quite some time now, but I expected so much better specially given how well received it was. It has so many flaws that would never have a pass for pretty much any other 3rd party franchise, that I can't even comprehend how it has been so highly regarded.

First, the main issue: The open world exploration SUCKS TREMENDOUSLY! I haven't been that much bored by exploration for so long. Not even Far Cry and Assassin's Creed have been this boring to explore, and I do consider them quite boring nowadays. There's no reward to wander around the map, other than that sense of finally finding a cave with some sort of decent level design to go through and fight a boss. The open world is basically a huge useless HUB which you need to traverse to find the actual content of the game.

And talking about caves, good Lord, they were definitely not ashamed at all to recycle content. I have been in pretty much the same catacomb numerous times. Dungeons with extremely similar looks and patterns: you get into a cave, rest at the state of grace, go down stairs and find a locked door, then make your way through this little dungeon, pull a lever, come back to the start, the door is open, fight the boss. Also, the boss might be one you have already fought like 3 or 4 times already before, with slightly variation of attacks and carrying a different weapon. Still, it's already MUCH better than wandering that barren open world.

I'm also under the impression that From Software can't figure out anymore how to make the game more challenging to it's players other than making bosses faster, with extremely high poise, and with big combos that will lock you until they manage to break your defense and fuck you up. This is the "easiest" Soul game because you basically need to kill dozens of optional bosses in order to overpower the main ones.

Also fighting with big and slow weapons is a chore now, because the window you have now to damage the bosses is minimal before they restart their combo cycle. The balance that the previous games used to provide is pretty much gone.

And I won't even talk about the graphics and performance, this game runs worse in my computer than a lot of others that looks way better. But this is no surprise, and it's something that I can ignore as long as I'm having fun with the game.

But anyway, Elden Ring is like two steps backwards compared to all their previous games. Up until now, I always praised the level design of any Souls games, Bloodborne and Sekiro; but it is almost nonexistent in ER. After what they've done to Sekiro, I believed From Software was gonna be able to deliver their best next Souls game, but instead they gave me an unbalanced Boss Rush game with a useless and boring open world hub.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Edit: And because of this, some people in this thread traced my profile. A lowly degenarate that spend the day playing and praising Far Cry, Assassins Creed and Horizon, at my mother's basement, requiring for attention. The game might disappoint, but the hardcore fanbase never does.
Have you beat the game yet? I agree with only one thing you said. The Caves are somewhat repetitive, but I think they do a decent job at giving mini dungeons several archetypes. You have the mining archetype, the Tomb archetype, the rolling death carriage archetype, the ice cave archetype, so forth and so on. I compare these dungeon to the Chalice dungeons from Bloodborne...they are basically the same. Just without the horrendous need for passwords and what not. These are much more accessible than the ones in Bloodborne. There's a lot to find in the open world. Random bosses, secret bosses, different merchants, NPCs and side quests. Ruins for some of the most powerful weapons in the game. I mean there's a lot to explore and a very good reason to be out in the world.

One thing I don't like is PVP in the open world. I much rather have PVP in the actual locations. The beauty of Souls PVP was that you had to fight the mobs and the Red Phantom. I don't like that there's only one type of invading phantoim. It's a step back from Dark Souls 3. I think Elden Ring missed a big opportunity with the lack of "covenants". It makes PVP pointless. I loved choosing a covenant and invading to gather shackles and blade moon grass, dregs and tongues from my enemies, eventually to unlock a weapon or a spell or a ring I wanted. PVP in this game resembles Bloodborne essentially giving players the choice of whether or not they want to participate in PVP. Even if I wasn't into PVP as much in previous Souls Games, I learned to appreciate the added danger and difficulty that came with the ever-present threat of being invaded. It made me feel like such a bad ass to be able to kill npcs AND defeat the person who invaded me.

However, all that said, I wouldn't go as far as to say Elden Ring is the most overrated game ever. I don't think it's a 10 out of 10, but it's like a 9.5 to me.

mcjmetroid

Most of this can be boiled down to:

1: the OP finds it too hard
And/or
2: there isn't enough hand-holding to guide the OP to "interesting" stuff. Isn't able to explore without direction.

I'm not buying the previous soul game experience. It's essentially dark souls but with open world.. I mean what were you expecting?

The only thing I'll say about this edgelord thread is at least it's a break from the boring "breath of the wild is ovverated" ones.

GymWolf

It's a bit overrated yeah, but i had fun in the open world, you have epic duels on the horse with knights and dragons, you do a bit of (unprecise) platforming to discover some secrets, some locations have a great art design and the horse is almost always fun to control.

And yeah the mini-dungeon are kinda whatever but the big dungeons are almost always superb.

The thing is, even with some boss\trash mobs repetions, it still has more content than most open world rpgs in terms of enemies, loot, bosses, skills etc.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
As far as open worlds, this game is not the best, but the enjoyment of playing whack-a-mole on horseback is limitless. Just wish there was less delay in the attacks and I could take the horse into every battle and I could interact with everything on horseback. I feel a bit cripled without its amazingly fast movement being available.

Kssio_Aug

And/or
2: there isn't enough hand-holding to guide the OP to "interesting" stuff. Isn't able to explore without direction.

I'm not buying the previous soul game experience. It's essentially dark souls but with open world.. I mean what were you expecting?

The only thing I'll say about this edgelord thread is at least it's a break from the boring "breath of the wild is ovverated" ones.
Ah, it took long to come one with this stupid git gud argument. I have beat EVERY From Software game since Demons Souls, solo. Sekiro is way harder and a much better game. Let me reveal something for you in case you don't know... From Software games are not the hardest games out there.

Cyborg

Is it a good game, hell yeah. I dont agree on the open world with you. But is it a 9.7 game? I dont think so, it has its own flaws that are annoying

This game is great, maybe slightly overrated but that’s subjective really. I think the open world itself is done really well, if not kinda pointless, and the level design is masterful as always with these games, that’s not to say I don’t have issues though, there’s still the problem of your weapon knicking an object and not being able to hit an enemy because of the collision, meanwhile enemies and especially bosses can swing through pillars and walls and hit you, how is this still an issue after so many games. There’s also the music, the battles have some great music but there’s way too much ominous ambiance when exploring instead and sometimes it’s just like come on, give me something nice to listen to with a melody instead of this shit that just tries to raise tension, it gets really boring. Great face overall, but Bloodborne is still much better imo.

Last edited:
Zelda BOTW has repeated enemies throughout the whole game, open world enemy camps all look about the same, there are way too few dungeons and bosses and so easy bosses that once you’ve cleared them once they’re no longer a challenge, some of the exploration rewards are plain dumb, the weapon degrading system makes you use the worst weapon you hold because you want to save the best weapon for later.

It’s still my #2 best game of all time.

There are no perfect games.

As for Elden Ring.
Having no map icons is the reason you explore instead of just going straight to the next waypoint. And the open world exploration is quite possibly the best ever, even after 100 hours I still stumble onto new things even in the early areas. Others has already commented on the magnificent elevator ride, not since Skyrim’s Blackreach has I been so wowed by a world within a world creation.

Torrent is not just another horse, he not only make exploration and open world traversal more fun but actually gives the action new strategies as well and having him summoned instantly where you stand is just a mastermind move in game design.

Yes some bosses are repeated but it also has more bosses than any game I’ve ever played.

The game is truly challenging you to play better, even enemies on the open world can kill you if you don’t pay attention to what they’re doing.

Best thing changed from old FROM games is that there is often ways around challenging areas so you rarely has to bash your head into a wall of increased difficulty, just go somewhere else if things are to difficult and return later when you’re at higher level. And if you absolutely feel like you need to grind to level up you can do that just by exploring instead of doing the same dumb thing over and over for hours.

I agree that the NPCs are too static and the world in general is very static, but it’s still a masterpiece and currently my #4 best game of all time and well worthy all the 10/10 scores.
Well said, I agree with everything includes the Breath of the Wid flaws.

The instant horse summon makes senes in-universer cause ghosts are common, in other games devs try to keep thing believable, however it's what made me give up on horses in BotW, whenever I want to climb or glide I have to leave them behind.

MGS V did a great job in making the horse available nearly everywhere, he spawns off-camera even if it's not too believable. But it can make the difference between staying alive and dying.

MGS V also was great in how it has climbable elements like rocks. You don't climb everywhere like in BotW but you can climb places where it should be realistically possible, something Elden Ring might have benefited from.

rofif

Banned

And/or

Fuck right off with this condescending git gud shit.

YoungEmperor96

Neo Member
Is it a good game, hell yeah. I dont agree on the open world with you. But is it a 9.7 game? I dont think so, it has its own flaws that are annoying
To be honest, based on Metascore, most games don't deserve the score. It's best based on personal experience. With both ER out of 97 for a long time, based on the average of all 3 platforms it's around 95. I think that's a fair score. At least I find it better than a lot of games 96, 97

Ni7r

Banned
Calling the exploration more boring than in Ubisoft games and the level design „nonexistent“ are some opinions, lol. Awful takes, truly mind boggling.

Fredrik

I noticed majority of people who say its overrated have played fromsoftware games before and compare ER to that.
And the majority who say ER is rated just fine, never played another from title, and are comparing it to OTHER OPEN WORLDS.

Thats where the disagreements come from.
That’s some good level headed thinking.

It’s really open world versus wide linear.

And while I’ve played other FROM games my whole top 5 consists of open world games, so Elden Ring is simply my type of game.

In the other more linear games you’re stuck replaying the same small areas over and over to level up if you think it’s too difficult.

You can absolutely go around slaying giants etc over and over for hours in Elden Ring to level up…
OR… you can simply go out in the open world and explore and you’ll probably find some cave or new area or boss and level up faster while also having a more interesting play session.

I just enjoy that open game structure a ton more since it gives me alternative routes to go through the game.

I think FROM nailed the start by placing Tree Sentinel there, it learned you at once that you don’t have to fight everything you see but can actually go around some fights if they’re too hard.
For me it reminded me of the lynels in BOTW, there you could see far away that they were evil bastards and they did that pause and stare action just like Tree Sentinel when you got too close before attacking. So you learned the hard way that it was better to go around them, at least from the start.

PRiSMiWi

I have been playing the game for quite some time now, but I expected so much better specially given how well received it was. It has so many flaws that would never have a pass for pretty much any other 3rd party franchise, that I can't even comprehend how it has been so highly regarded.

First, the main issue: The open world exploration SUCKS TREMENDOUSLY! I haven't been that much bored by exploration for so long. Not even Far Cry and Assassin's Creed have been this boring to explore, and I do consider them quite boring nowadays. There's no reward to wander around the map, other than that sense of finally finding a cave with some sort of decent level design to go through and fight a boss. The open world is basically a huge useless HUB which you need to traverse to find the actual content of the game.

And talking about caves, good Lord, they were definitely not ashamed at all to recycle content. I have been in pretty much the same catacomb numerous times. Dungeons with extremely similar looks and patterns: you get into a cave, rest at the state of grace, go down stairs and find a locked door, then make your way through this little dungeon, pull a lever, come back to the start, the door is open, fight the boss. Also, the boss might be one you have already fought like 3 or 4 times already before, with slightly variation of attacks and carrying a different weapon. Still, it's already MUCH better than wandering that barren open world.

I'm also under the impression that From Software can't figure out anymore how to make the game more challenging to it's players other than making bosses faster, with extremely high poise, and with big combos that will lock you until they manage to break your defense and fuck you up. This is the "easiest" Soul game because you basically need to kill dozens of optional bosses in order to overpower the main ones.

Also fighting with big and slow weapons is a chore now, because the window you have now to damage the bosses is minimal before they restart their combo cycle. The balance that the previous games used to provide is pretty much gone.

And I won't even talk about the graphics and performance, this game runs worse in my computer than a lot of others that looks way better. But this is no surprise, and it's something that I can ignore as long as I'm having fun with the game.

But anyway, Elden Ring is like two steps backwards compared to all their previous games. Up until now, I always praised the level design of any Souls games, Bloodborne and Sekiro; but it is almost nonexistent in ER. After what they've done to Sekiro, I believed From Software was gonna be able to deliver their best next Souls game, but instead they gave me an unbalanced Boss Rush game with a useless and boring open world hub.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Edit: And because of this, some people in this thread traced my profile. A lowly degenarate that spend the day playing and praising Far Cry, Assassins Creed and Horizon, at my mother's basement, requiring for attention. The game might disappoint, but the hardcore fanbase never does.
You are mad

Ni7r

Banned
The best part of the game is easily the beginning. Limgrave and stormveil is fantastic.
Weeping penisula is ok but underdeveloped.
Capital and ramparts are good.
Mt gelmir, snow, giants area are all bad.

If the game was just limgrave and stormveil + some other areas condensed, it would be better
Mount Gelmir has Volcano Manor which is a great dungeon. The capital is not just good, with all its levels it’s probably the best area From have ever designed and one of the best areas in gaming, period. The snow parts are weak, I agree, but Farum Azula right after is one of the best levels in the game. The level design has not been better than in some of the legacy dungeons, I have played through all the souls game after Elden Ring and while ER is not my favorite, it’s definitely the one with the best dungeon design.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Mount Gelmir has Volcano Manor which is a great dungeon. The capital is not just good, with all its levels it’s probably the best area From have ever designed and one of the best areas in gaming, period. The snow parts are weak, I agree, but Farum Azula right after is one of the best levels in the game. The level design has not been better than in some of the legacy dungeons, I have played through all the souls game after Elden Ring and while ER is not my favorite, it’s definitely the one with the best dungeon design.
So let's remove everything after capital. Maybe keep farum azula. So remove all snow parts and heligtree (transform into dlc).
And reduce shunning grounds

Chronicle

I haven't played the game but I will. I like Soulsborne games, I find them very challenging but rewarding. However, they should not be excluded from criticism. Much the same as Nintendo. They get so much praise, but now that I own a Switch for my daughters, I'm like... wtf is everyone sniffing? The games are garbage and look like shit. You're going to have every crybaby on this site in here. There is a bit of a hive mind surrounding some of these things. Good luck.

I will play the game soon and then I'll truly know how the game is.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
TW3 gave you 47523 different swords if you explored around, half of those legendary, and they are all useless.
RDR2, any exploration is completely meaningless unless your idea of fun is walking back and forth between vast empty spaces for hours hoping you might trigger some random event that gives you absolultely nothing besides a few seconds of amusement.

Need you to stay focused here. Each games itemization philosophy is a consequence of their world design not the other way around. And yes, TW3 and RDR2 have better worlds in my opinion. You are wandering around in TW3 and RDR2 encountering stories; in ER you're bounding from one combat encounter to the next. You aren't driven by anything other than becoming marginally better. In a tighter and smaller game (like every other game FS has made) this would be fine; in ER it just exposes how weak and empty these are as long term goals.

Yes, in TW3 you're also hunting for better (bespoke) gear, and sure you get a glut of weapons and armor (because that's what enemies have on them; the glut is a product of the world making sense - enemies drop their armor on death - not because of a dice role), but you're likely on this hunt because you're chasing a narrative thread and just happen to be in the same area where you heard some good Witcher school gear was.

I'm not even going to bother much with RDR2; I can appreciate someone not liking this world, but the idea that you're just meandering from one point to another aimlessly is complete nonsense (and I'm pretty sure you know that just isn't true). RDR2 has a lot of the same flaws GTAV has, but player engagement is not one of them.

. . .if ER's openworld was more conservative, I probably would not have groaned loudly at encountering the boss of Castle Sol because I wouldn't have already engaged with the entirety of that castle at some point during the game; the sense of discovery and uniqueness would still be intact instead of woefully showing it's exposed seams.

JCK75

I got into it late and finally saw what everyone else saw in it.. I think it's an amazing game on so many levels and deserving of praise.. but yet almost everything you said is true and imagine how much better it would be if there was some actual QC.

I noticed majority of people who say its overrated have played fromsoftware games before and compare ER to that.
And the majority who say ER is rated just fine, never played another from title, and are comparing it to OTHER OPEN WORLDS.

Thats where the disagreements come from.
I think so too.

Having played all the previous Souls games, Elden Ring's open world doesn't change or add that much to the formula. The good aspects of the game like enemy variety, build variety, rewards for exploring etc. were all present in the previous games and often done better there. Elden Ring simply places all this stuff in the context of a somewhat empty, dead open world with tons of repeated content. It's like the opposite of BotW which has a dynamic open world (for 2017 anyway), but lacks any significant rewards to benefit the player.

Elden Ring is still really good because it's a Souls-like game from FromSoft, but it is by no means the best game they've put out and it's not revolutionary for the open world genre IMO.

Racking my brain rn trying to figure who these "bad late game bosses are"

Fire Giant fight is an absolute fucking epic. A giant open world 30 minute battle. Almost completely unique to the entire Souls series in terms of scale, save for one. A callback to the Radahn battle(which is clearly a contender for best boss fight of all fucking time) and let the players explore an open world fight as a very different pace.

Mariketh. I guess the only knock here would be the tree sentinel outside doesn't respawn after you kill him once, so the fight does get easier if you die. But still, that second phase was amazing.

Godfry introduced a mandatory jumping mechanic and was as absolute nail biter. Not to mention his theme. Pure class.

Mohg was another epic. Dripping in aesthetics and swag. Puts the player on a time limit almost. Can't drag this out (a common technique I use to fight hard Souls bosses is just making the fight long, which you absolutely cannot do here)

Melania is just an overall master class. Anyone calling her cheap has simply not explored the tools at their disposal. Took me a few tries, but once I learned magic shield spell nullified her water fowl attack I was able to win somewhat easily.

Radagon was amazing. I had no clue about his transformation and the first time I got him to that phase I was instantly one shot (which I appreciate). Another atmospheric banger. Phase 1 punished any lazy aspects in the players 1v1 skillset. Phase 2 was almost a bullet hell shmup. Fan fucking tastic.

Name some of these bad late game bosses please.

Last edited:

recursive

Yeah pretty positive it's not me. I work for myself, people work for me and I make a lot of money and have power. Keep shitting the thread though you lousy basement dweller.

You are just here to get a rise out of people. Want me to hire you as a social media poster? You can post controversial game opinions on our YouTube and Instagram to get people riled up and boost the algorithm. You'd be good at it. I'll pay your 3K a month. <3
WTF is this post? Seek help bruv. No one cares about your mcdonalds franchise on gaf.

rofif

Banned
Racking my brain rn trying to figure who these "bad late game bosses are"

Fire Giant fight is an absolute fucking epic. A giant open world 30 minute battle. Almost completely unique to the entire Souls series in terms of scale.

Mariketh. I guess the only knock here would be the tree sentinel outside doesn't respawn after you kill him once, so the fight does get easier if you die. But still, that second phase was amazing.

Godfry introduced a mandatory jumping mechanic and was as absolute nail biter. Not to mention his theme. Pure class.

Mohg was another epic. Dripping in aesthetics and swag. Puts the player on a time limit almost. Can't drag this out (a common technique I use to fight hard Souls bosses is just making the fight long, which you absolutely cannot do here)

Melania is just an overall master class. Anyone calling her cheap has simply not explored the tools at their disposal. Took me a few tries, but once I learned magic shield spell nullified her water fowl attack I was able to win somewhat easily.

Radagon was amazing. I had no clue about his transformation and the first time I got him to that phase I was instantly one shot (which I appreciate). Another atmospheric banger. Phase 1 punished any lazy aspects in the players 1v1 skillset. Phase 2 was almost a bullet hell shmup. Fan fucking tastic.

Name some of these bad late game bosses please.
Fire giant is a terrible fight. You are an ankle biter and can't see his attacks when you are meleeing his feet.
Malekith is a shit eater who never stops attacking and you wait around like an idiot for his infinite combos to end.
Godfrey is good. I hate his aeo volcano attacks but it's a cool boss
Mohg is cheap
Malenia is like malekith. She is cheap, long combos.
Radagon is great
Elden best is shit beast

MrA

Banned
Over rated= i have an minority opinion on something, but I'm so smart everyone else is wrong
I'm not a big souls fan, but I forget swaths of people say elden-ring is a 10 out of 10, thats fine people don't need to like the same stuff

Reactions: GHG
Fire giant is a terrible fight. You are an ankle biter and can't see his attacks when you are meleeing his feet.
Malekith is a shit eater who never stops attacking and you wait around like an idiot for his infinite combos to end.
Godfrey is good. I hate his aeo volcano attacks but it's a cool boss
Mohg is cheap
Malenia is like malekith. She is cheap, long combos.
Radagon is great
Elden best is shit beast
Fire Giant was so memorable for me. Sprinting headlong into a great and firey epic with my best bud Alexander. Rushing across the map as your life depends on it. Trying to find a respite of cover in the rolling landscape. How else does a human sized fighter combat a giant if not the ankles? Not to mention the majority of the fight he's on his belly.

Godfrey AOE was annoying until I got the "ahah moment" of knowing to jump when it connects. Again, a brand new mechanic for a Souls boss.

Mohg is brilliant. The blood magic makes it so you feel pressure to make the fight fast. Maybe it's just me, but when I get stuck on a Souls boss I play a run where I just survive as long as I can and chip away at health. Like, only take 2 hits in a window that might allow for 3. This method is completely untenable here, forcing the player outside their comfort zone. I guess you could call it cheap, I call it exciting. Really gets the heart pumping.

Malenia takes all her cues from Sekiro. Daring the player to fight perfectly for two full health bars. Any holes in your game or lapses in your attention are punished. It makes you bring your A game and explore all your tools.

Elden Beast is almost an epilogue. Dream-like in aesthetic. It gives the momentum a parachute back to earth after the intense battle of attrition that was Radagon.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

What old school RPG needs 200-300 hours to complete? I can't think of even one :D
I didn't say complete, just the amount of time you'd take playing them normally, naturally if you're trying to get to the end as fast as possible you'll be able to even if with difficulty. Even Elden Ring can be completed in a just few hours if you know what you're doing.

Top Bottom