• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Soodanim

Gold Member
No, I still have a long way to go. I’m at the Smouldering Lake. I just had to scratch the itch to play Elden Ring again.
I revisited that recently and although there isn't much to it, there's a couple things you can bait the giant ballista into doing. Firstl is killing that electric worm by getting behind it, and second is shooting weak floor to open a shortcut into the lower area

I revisited that recently and although there isn't much to it, there's a couple things you can bait the giant ballista into doing. Firstl is killing that electric worm by getting behind it, and second is shooting weak floor to open a shortcut into the lower area
Thanks for the tip! The floor was already destroyed when I found it, I guess I passed over it the first time without noticing it.

I’m done with the Smouldering Lake, got the Estus boosting items I wanted and a good bunch of titanite shards small and large. I tried to reach the area where the ballista is to deactivate it but one of the two hooded skeletons wrecked me, and this was after running away from the basilisks and killing the horned knight. I tried again but in vain, so I won’t bother anymore. I don’t think I’ll need to come back to the Lake anyways. But overall I ended up liking this area more than I thought I would at first.

I managed to beat the Old Demon King with the help of the Cuculus NPC, he made the fight so much easier. Reminded me of Elden Ring with the Spirit Ashes. I like how the Demon King ran out of fire after the big explosion, a boss lying powerless when it’s almost dead is rather unexpected.

I also beat the giant dog thing at the Irithyll bridge, from what I’ve seen on Google it’s called Sulyvahn’s Beast. Hope it doesn’t respawn cause that fight was really hard.

I want to advance Siegward’s quest but I haven’t found him in the well at the Cathedral of the Deep. I also haven’t met Patches either in the Cathedral, so he isn’t at the Firelink Shrine. Am I too late?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thanks for the tip! The floor was already destroyed when I found it, I guess I passed over it the first time without noticing it.

I’m done with the Smouldering Lake, got the Estus boosting items I wanted and a good bunch of titanite shards small and large. I tried to reach the area where the ballista is to deactivate it but one of the two hooded skeletons wrecked me, and this was after running away from the basilisks and killing the horned knight. I tried again but in vain, so I won’t bother anymore. I don’t think I’ll need to come back to the Lake anyways. But overall I ended up liking this area more than I thought I would at first.

I managed to beat the Old Demon King with the help of the Cuculus NPC, he made the fight so much easier. Reminded me of Elden Ring with the Spirit Ashes. I like how the Demon King ran out of fire after the big explosion, a boss lying powerless when it’s almost dead is rather unexpected.

I also beat the giant dog thing at the Irithyll bridge, from what I’ve seen on Google it’s called Sulyvahn’s Beast. Hope it doesn’t respawn cause that fight was really hard.

I want to advance Siegward’s quest but I haven’t found him in the well at the Cathedral of the Deep. I also haven’t met Patches either in the Cathedral, so he isn’t at the Firelink Shrine. Am I too late?

Did you open the big double doors across from Rosaria's chamber?

Step 2: Next, he will be found in a well outside of the Cathedral of the Deep's Cleansing Chapel bonfire (see page for map). You won't be able to speak to him until you have completed these steps:
  1. You must open the big double blue doors across from Rosaria's Bedchamber Bonfire leading out to the graveyard (these doors can be accessed by either using the golden lever in front of Rosaria's Bedchamber bonfire, or by using an elevator to the left of the boss fog gate).
  2. Reload the area, then speak with him.
  3. Obtain his armor from Unbreakable Patches Then return it to Siegward in the well. (If you have the Catarina Set from NG, you may use that instead)

Soodanim

Gold Member

I always found Seigward's questline to be unintuitive at that part. Forcing you to decide to backtrack to search an innocuous place you have no reason to re-explore. I've never seen anything that suggests the player go to the well after getting the armour back.

I played a bit of DS1 again recently, and I got so much more than I should have because I've adapted to Elden Ring's delayed attacks. In DS1 if an enemy backswings, it's coming at you straight away, None of this Margit waiting 3 seconds behaviour.

Last edited:
I’m almost done exploring Irythill of the Boreal Valley, but I haven’t gone to fight Pontiff Sulyvahn yet. I still need to open the shortcut to be able to reach him quickly. This is clearly the most beautiful area since the start of the game. Look at this kinght busy drooling at Gwynevere’s boobs 😂

hJyywdW.jpg

I was gonna have a look at her tits myself when an archer shot me from behind! Wasn’t expecting this at all, I got scared.

I also advanced Siegward’s quest and met him in the kitchen. Looks like I need to pick up an item in the Irythill dungeon next. The watery area before the kitchen is an excellent farming spot, I easily get 7K souls killing the Bloobdorne-esque monsters with woman hair.

I have a question: to summon the NPCs before the boss (as shown in a YouTube guide), do I need to activate an Ember before teleporting to the closest bonfire? Or do the summoning marks on the ground appear as soon as I use an Ember?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I’m almost done exploring Irythill of the Boreal Valley, but I haven’t gone to fight Pontiff Sulyvahn yet. I still need to open the shortcut to be able to reach him quickly. This is clearly the most beautiful area since the start of the game. Look at this kinght busy drooling at Gwynevere’s boobs 😂

hJyywdW.jpg

I was gonna have a look at her tits myself when an archer shot me from behind! Wasn’t expecting this at all, I got scared.

I also advanced Siegward’s quest and met him in the kitchen. Looks like I need to pick up an item in the Irythill dungeon next. The watery area before the kitchen is an excellent farming spot, I easily get 7K souls killing the Bloobdorne-esque monsters with woman hair.

I have a question: to summon the NPCs before the boss (as shown in a YouTube guide), do I need to activate an Ember before teleporting to the closest bonfire? Or do the summoning marks on the ground appear as soon as I use an Ember?
I believe as soon as you are embered.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’m taking this occasion to try a new game since I got all over 30 minutes in last year. Been hooked all day. Just made it to Margit and yikes.

I’ve got a couple 8 hour car rides coming up so hopefully this stays good and it’ll be my Steam Deck game of choice

Last edited:
Dark Souls 3 update: Pontiff Sulyvahn was kicking my ass so hard but I realized stamina is a key factor in this fight, so I went back and searched for the ring that boosts stamina recovery. Thank God for the YouTube videos that show you the path to take for any object. I found that ring but not before dying a bunch of times by falling from the elevator in the Undead Settlement. You’re supposed to roll as the elevator goes up or down to reach the area where you fight the fire demon with Siegward. Once again, being able to jump at will in Elden Ring is a HUGE improvement over Dark Souls.

I farmed souls for a while to level up stamina and went back to fight Pontiff Sulyvahn! And I beat him! Holy shit what a brutal boss. Hits fast and hard, has long combos, and summons a clone!! I had no flasks left, the stamina bar was empty, it was really a matter of who would strike first in the next two seconds. Luckily I was faster and killed him. Wow what a fight, the hardest so far. I shudder to think what the endgame bosses are going to be like...

The late bosses of the base game are pretty much of the same intensity with the exception of the Nameless King, who is on a higher level. If you get to the DLC bosses, they will make those later bosses feel like a breeze.

Personally I wonder if you will need to reach a certain point in the game before accessing the DLC's content? Or will it be accessible regardless of whether you're in the early game, late-game, or NG+?

DelireMan7

I think that's Miquella!!!
Could be. Or a young Marika. EDIT : Also the presence of a mount (Torrent ?) is interesting. When Melina gives it to us she mentions a "previous owner" (or maybe it's Ranni who mentioned it, or maybe both Melina and Ranni). Could this character (Miquella/Young Marika) be this previous owner ?

I am much more excited by this announce than I expected. I am really happy to jump into a new character for the DLC. Might go for Dex since it's the only one stats I haven't explore at least a bit. But still a lot of choice : Katana + Wakizashi, Bows focused, curved sword, Bolt of Gransax, Twinblade, etc...

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Personally I wonder if you will need to reach a certain point in the game before accessing the DLC's content? Or will it be accessible regardless of whether you're in the early game, late-game, or NG+?
Regarding their history of DLC, I would say you'll need to reach a certain point in the game to access it.

I like their way to blend DLC access into their world. But if the art is significant and Miquella/young Marika is part of the DLC it could be time travel stuff so they could choose the "option from a Grace site" way.

MagnesD3

Could be. Or a young Marika. EDIT : Also the presence of a mount (Torrent ?) is interesting. When Melina gives it to us she mentions a "previous owner" (or maybe it's Ranni who mentioned it, or maybe both Melina and Ranni). Could this character (Miquella/Young Marika) be this previous owner ?

I am much more excited by this announce than I expected. I am really happy to jump into a new character for the DLC. Might go for Dex since it's the only one stats I haven't explore at least a bit. But still a lot of choice : Katana + Wakizashi, Bows focused, curved sword, Bolt of Gransax, Twinblade, etc...
I'm actually guessing it's St Trina but I could see a young Marika as well.

DelireMan7

I'm actually guessing it's St Trina but I could see a young Marika as well.
I have check the reddit and the hair comparison with Miquella's artwork from the game is matching so I guess it's Miquella.

Miquella is theorized to be St Trina (several hints in the game) so you're probably right :)

ikbalCO

Worst thing about the new dlc is, you download the game again and your save is there and your character is there, you go to a random grace on the map with fewer graces, area that you mostly skip, you start playing and in 5 minutes you realise you forgot how to play this game and you get your shit beat out with your level 156 tarnished.

Best thing about the new dlc is, you download the game again and your save is there and your character is there, you go to a random grace on the map with fewer graces, area that you mostly skip, you start playing and in 10 minutes you remember how to play this game and now you cant stop playing it leaving hogwarts legacy in the backlog.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I put this off for a few months after spending 80+ hours in it. Picked it back up again and pretty much at the end game.
Crumbling Farum Azula is completed and been off doing optional stuff.
Just beat Malenia this morning. Man, I can only imagine what it felt like facing her as one of the first set of players when there was little to no online strategies on how to deal with her.
Beat at around ~155 with a Mimic Tear who was dual wielding Meteoric Ore blade in left hand and Moonveil on the right while I one handed the Moonveil.
Pretty much stun-locked her. Took 5 tries though lol.

She got me with Scarlet Rot right before it was done so I was chugging flasks while listening to her dialog at the end.

The annoying thing about the Milenia fight is every moment you allow her to strike at you without locking her into stun/status effect loops she regains health. So, the less aggressive you are the less likely you are to make it out alive.

Fake

The annoying thing about the Milenia fight is every moment you allow her to strike at you without locking her into stun/status effect loops she regains health. So, the less aggressive you are the less likely you are to make it out alive.

She is a pretty weak boss BTW. People love to hype her, but if you give life steal to every boss on Elden Ring they end up being more powerful than Milenia.

You can still play defensive, trowing poison knifes while she doing some animations. Other tip is max up the Black Knife companion, the death debuff do damage based of the enemy max hp.

Soodanim

Gold Member
She is a pretty weak boss BTW. People love to hype her, but if you give life steal to every boss on Elden Ring they end up being more powerful than Milenia.

You can still play defensive, trowing poison knifes while she doing some animations. Other tip is max up the Black Knife companion, the death debuff do damage based of the enemy max hp.
Tiche's effectiveness is solely down to how often she does her knockdown attack and the jumping beam. If she does it often, all is well. If she doesn't, she's useless. Still a fantastic summon to have though, especially against Elden Beast. Long range health bar sapping is almost purpose built for EB.

I don't think it's fair to say Malenia is weak as such, as she still has a fast, varied moveset that hits hard and covers a lot of ground. You can say any boss is weak if you have learned their moveset and how to avoid/punish it, because the game has to be winnable. A no hit run makes every boss look weak, but that isn't the point. Godrick with lifesteal wouldn't be any more trouble than he is now. But I do agree that the lifesteal is the major obstacle. Or, to be specific, how lifesteal works is the obstacle. If a100% physical block shield didn't still lead to Malenia healing, it wouldn't be half as much of a problem. You could play defensively, and the rules of the game being winnable by a variety of play styles would still be true. Malenia is hard because she breaks the rules for forces you to play a certain way or cheese her weaknesses.

Fake

Tiche's effectiveness is solely down to how often she does her knockdown attack and the jumping beam. If she does it often, all is well. If she doesn't, she's useless. Still a fantastic summon to have though, especially against Elden Beast. Long range health bar sapping is almost purpose built for EB.

I don't think it's fair to say Malenia is weak as such, as she still has a fast, varied moveset that hits hard and covers a lot of ground. You can say any boss is weak if you have learned their moveset and how to avoid/punish it, because the game has to be winnable. A no hit run makes every boss look weak, but that isn't the point. Godrick with lifesteal wouldn't be any more trouble than he is now. But I do agree that the lifesteal is the major obstacle. Or, to be specific, how lifesteal works is the obstacle. If a100% physical block shield didn't still lead to Malenia healing, it wouldn't be half as much of a problem. You could play defensively, and the rules of the game being winnable by a variety of play styles would still be true. Malenia is hard because she breaks the rules for forces you to play a certain way or cheese her weaknesses.

Well, I find Malenia weak because she have a high pain chance.

Do you notice you sometimes can pain lock her the entire phase 1?
Most of the nerfs Eldrn Ring got in the first patch are for both pvp and Malenia fight.

Is just the life steal that make her powerful... or make your mistake pretty annoying.

Last edited:
Dark Souls 3 update: I finished the Irithyll dungeon and Profane Capital. I was hoping I would finish the dungeon without dying once but the jailers near the exit got me. However I did manage to complete the Profane Capital without dying, but then again it's a surprisingly small area.

I also finished Siegward's quest and man, what a great character. Probably my favorite NPC along with the Firekeeper (hehe). I LOVED his entrance in the cutscene that reveals Yhorm. I was worried Siegward would die, but Yhorm turned out to be super easy since I used the Storm Ruler. I was looking forward to this fight since starting the game and was a little disappointed by how quickly it ended. If only there was a boss rush mode, I'd love to fight him again. Rykard's fight is an improvement over this one I feel, in the sense that even if you use the powerful weapon made available, Rykard can still be quite challenging.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dark Souls 3 update: I finished the Irithyll dungeon and Profane Capital. I was hoping I would finish the dungeon without dying once but the jailers near the exit got me. However I did manage to complete the Profane Capital without dying, but then again it's a surprisingly small area.

I also finished Siegward's quest and man, what a great character. Probably my favorite NPC along with the Firekeeper (hehe). I LOVED his entrance in the cutscene that reveals Yhorm. I was worried Siegward would die, but Yhorm turned out to be super easy since I used the Storm Ruler. I was looking forward to this fight since starting the game and was a little disappointed by how quickly it ended. If only there was a boss rush mode, I'd love to fight him again. Rykard's fight is an improvement over this one I feel, in the sense that even if you use the powerful weapon made available, Rykard can still be quite challenging.
The dungeon jailers are such a pain. Annoying gimmick enemies that aren't so much skill as learning locations so that you can either rush down or run past. I usually opt to run past, their ability to negate any build on sight isn't very fun to me.

Rykard manages to be both a gimmick boss and a real boss with unique attacks, the latter being something Yhorm lacked. It's nice that you got Siegward there, I didn't on my first playthrough but it adds a little something to the fight. Rykard can be stunlocked, but it's still a lot more difficult than Yhorm or other Souls gimmick bosses. Demon's' was good (4's not 2's), DS1's was god-awful and possible the worst boss in the entire From library.

DelireMan7

I also finished Siegward's quest and man, what a great character. Probably my favorite NPC along with the Firekeeper (hehe). I LOVED his entrance in the cutscene that reveals Yhorm. I was worried Siegward would die, but Yhorm turned out to be super easy since I used the Storm Ruler
Hum... Did you went back into the room after speaking to Siegward ?

Yhorm is the famous gimmick "Stormruler" fight present in several From's game. The music is fantastic ! But yes Rykard is the top of "Stormruler" fight.

So I am done with my Hollow Knight replay (confirms it's high up on my "best games ever" alongside Dark Souls and Bloodborne) and I am really hyped up for another Elden Ring playthrough since the DLC announcement ! So here I am back to Elden Ring !

I'll go for a Dex build. Probably Katana/Wakizashi dual wielding (most probably with poison and parry skill). I'll probably use a bow too. I wanted to test at some point a bow focused build but bows don't look really sexy in this game (I wish there was more Ash of war for them). My thinking about adding some "pyromancy" incantation to the build or going for a Dex/Faith for some "holy" incantation. I might for for fire this time and make later a focused "holy" character (it's always one of my favorite archetype in Souls).

About Malenia's discussion:
The lifesteal never bothered me. I think it's well tuned.
The real bullshit about her (making the fight insufferable for me) is a stun/poise break point which is really inconsistent and most importantly : her fucking Waterfowl attack. For me it's really "Ho look a one shot attack that doesn't follow the "standard rules" of dodging just to make my boss really hard". Removes this attack and it becomes a tense and interesting fight. In the current state, it makes this fight frustrating. I never had the "satisfaction" feeling when I beat her because of that.

Metnut

Finally getting off my ass and trying to beat this game. I think I’m close to the end.

Had a question regarding New Game + and DLC. If I beat the game, will it automatically reload from the beginning at new game plus and will I lose access to my completed world map? Would that mean I’d have to play any DLC at a harder New Game + difficulty?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Finally getting off my ass and trying to beat this game. I think I’m close to the end.

Had a question regarding New Game + and DLC. If I beat the game, will it automatically reload from the beginning at new game plus and will I lose access to my completed world map? Would that mean I’d have to play any DLC at a harder New Game + difficulty?
When you beat the game you choose when/if to go NG+. Location names/icons transfer but not sites of grace. That means you’ll see everything you found in the first go but won’t be able to fast travel until you rediscover the sites of grace.

Not sure yet about how DLC will work since it’s not close to release.

NikuNashi

Very late to the party, just started yesterday.

My plan is to build up a mage / melee build. Started with prisoner class and am just grinding and levelling up. Any early game help would be welcome please.

Very late to the party, just started yesterday.

My plan is to build up a mage / melee build. Started with prisoner class and am just grinding and levelling up. Any early game help would be welcome please.
Get your free wolf summon by going back to the Church of Elleh after making the pact with Melina and speaking to witch sitting on the exterior wall of the Church. Go to the Third Church of Marika by heading NorthEast from the starting area before Giant boss to get the Flask of Wonderous Physique for mixing tears for buffs. Get the Icerind Hatchet in a Chest at Temple Quarter in Liurnia (subcontinent NorthWest of StormHill). Its Hoarfrost Stomp skill will serve you well to supplement your other strategies/weapons. As with most Souls games spend your Runes immediately as to not lose many on the journey.

Last edited:
As with most Souls games spend your Runes immediately as to not lose many on the journey.
Nothing baffles me more than watching YouTubers play through an entire area with an enormous amount of souls/runes. Is it some sort of flex? There are so many ways to die in Souls games even if you are overpowered.

DelireMan7

Nothing baffles me more than watching YouTubers play through an entire area with an enormous amount of souls/runes. Is it some sort of flex? There are so many ways to die in Souls games even if you are overpowered.
Happened to me when reaching my "end goal" for a build so I didn't need anymore souls for level up or weapons upgrade. But still I was buying lot of consumable for PvP.

But other than that, yes there is no reason not to spend souls/runes. Always keep it low.

I could some some occasions where you don't have enough to level up and no usable souls in store to reach the threshold for next level (and I don't like farming) so you're kind of forced to continue with souls. But yes, quite rare.

If they’re playing it on YouTube they’ve probably finished the game dozens of times and one’s interest in levelling up tends to diminish each time.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Just got the game. My experience in souls is basically Demon Souls back in 2010.

fucking crucible knight man… watched a walkthrough and most of them are just parrying which I am not proficient with. I said fuck it equipped my bloodhound sword I just got and managed to dodge most of his attacks through the weapon skill. Just had trouble with the tail that made it a bit more difficult and required patience. Limited my use of attacks after his lunge or shield bash.

Great game. Still at limgrave though and not yet progressing through the castle. I wanna finish the boss that appears near the ash merchant and the sword key in the beginner area. Those fucked me up.

DelireMan7

Just got the game. My experience in souls is basically Demon Souls back in 2010.

fucking crucible knight man… watched a walkthrough and most of them are just parrying which I am not proficient with. I said fuck it equipped my bloodhound sword I just got and managed to dodge most of his attacks through the weapon skill. Just had trouble with the tail that made it a bit more difficult and required patience. Limited my use of attacks after his lunge or shield bash.

Great game. Still at limgrave though and not yet progressing through the castle. I wanna finish the boss that appears near the ash merchant and the sword key in the beginner area. Those fucked me up.
Nice ! Love reading your post.

Crucible Knight is tough and despised by many. I love fighting him.

It took me something like 25 hours before entering the Castle xD. I did so much exploration.

But that being said don't hesitate come back later on tough battles or "dungeons". (Use the marker feature of the map to keep track). Notably the 2 last things you mentioned can be frustrating and quite hard at the beginning. That boss fight near the merchant is still hard for me after several playthrough.

killatopak

Gold Member
Finally done with Limgrave and Stormveil. I think just need to do some minor stuff like kill those three giants in the huge bridge just for completionist sake.

I really had more trouble going through Stormveil than the main bosses itself. I thought it would be more difficult because of all the stuff I’ve seen online especially about Margit. Turns out they’re super easy if you just summon spirits and an NPC like Rogier and Nepheli. I don’t know if there’s like a souls etiquette to not summon stuff since most of the videos I’ve seen online has been doing them solo.

Overall, Stormveil was amazing especially going in blind. So many secret stuff packed around that made me go wtf. Some secrets I even found out by falling to my death and made me think if that was even supposed to be there. I might even go back and farm those knights for the banished armor set since the stats seem pretty good. Problem is that they’re heavy as hell and I need to level my endurance. Also, another Crucible Knight ON A CLIFF fuck me. I died a couple of times on that one alone.

Top Bottom