• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring - PS5 4K HDR Gameplay & Impressions (Network Test is Live)

rubhen925

So the Network Test is live and got to play about 40 mins and keep getting kicked out now. Here's some info:

- PS5 install size for the Beta is 6.93 GB
- games has two modes. Prioritize FPS or Prioritize Quality
- FPS mode runs at upscaled 4K 60FPS
- Quality runs at 4K, but fps is between 30 - 60. It tries its best to push it as far as it can. Effects and rain brings it back to 30. I actually didn't mind this mode. Was pretty smooth to play.
- There is an in game HDR setting. All you can do is turn it on. There's not settings to tweak it.
- When first booting the game you may run into server troubles. It's not stable and may keep kicking you out. I think I got booted a total of 4 times. When you're about to get booted you get insane lag, so keep that in mind.
- 5 Builds each with male and female option
- Jump is tied to X button and is great. Can jump smash enemies, and even jump from ground sweeps like in Sekiro
- You can kills wild animals and hunt them for their materials.
- There are dungeons littered around the open world. Each one has materials, new enemies, and even bosses. Some have spells, pyro, and miracles.
- Map is vast. There's so much to explore
- When you kill a mob you receive refills of your flasks for health and MP. This is awesome as you don't need to run back to a checkpoint each time.
- I died plenty to the first boss as his sweeping motion of that spear reminds me of the spear enemies in Sekiro. You need to time it right.
- Enemies can ambush you. If you ever see a lone enemy. Check surrounding bushes, trees etc. They hide and ambush you from behind and sides when that lone enemy signals them.
- Triangle is now tied to interacting with objects and picking up items. whereas previous games it was X
- Not all shields can parry. The one I used for the Faith build does a miracle.

That's pretty much it for the first 40 mins I've seen. Will update as the weekend goes by. There are tons of things to see. I will make some images of cool stuff I see as well. People who are playing please update the thread and add your insight as well.

With all that being said. Game feels and looks amazing. Can't believe only 3 more months to go!!!

Update - saw a couple more new things in the game, so sharing:

- you get horse after meeting the new waifu, Melina like in the trailer. Seems like you need to find a couple checkpoints
- She gives you the ring to use as an item to summon horse. Horse has running and double jump.
- you are not invincible when jumping from heights. you can die if the drop is too large, same goes for horseback riding
- found an enemy type called Scarabs. These bugs inside a giant insect ball. Killing it will give you a health flash refill if the insect is red, and a MP flask refill if the insect is blue.
- Horse back combat is a bit rough for melee. because most weapons swing vertically when you want to do a side ways horizontal sweep. Regardless after a while i got used to it. Magic, and arrows require you to face the opponent or you will miss even when target locked
- Ash of War items. These are consumables you find in the world, after killing bosses or in treasure chests. They change properties and stats and even add abilities to your weapons. For example a shield Ash of War can change your shield attributes, or a sword one can add a thrust move, etc. There seems to be a ton you can find.
- New Greirat type NPC. He's a monkey dressed nicely, and was hiding as a tree. Smacking the tree will make him come to form. He agrees to go into caves to get items. But will take time.
- Day and Night cycle. You can rest on the checkpoints and change the time of day to Morning, Afternoon, and Night.
- Skeletons that revive return. Saw them at a graveyard with Jellyfish type floating enemies.
- The Tree Sentinel can be cheesed using the rock formation beside him. Takes a couple tries. I almost no damaged him lol.
- Watch out for certain areas. Bosses randomly ambush you in the open world. The dragon from the preview video Bandai Released showed up out of nowhere when i was fighting enemies at a small camp and one shot me.
- You can create multiple characters. I made 3 saves.
- Map in game isn't readily available. You have to find these map fragments from certain objects that fill the spaces up on the map. Map is pretty detailed and you can place markers and beacons to give you and idea of the land.
- If you have a talisman equipped on the Left hand and a weapon on the right. Using L2 button will produce a different move for the right hand weapon. Shield usually does shield art when using shield on left hand.
- Miracles and spells that move on the ground won't work when on water or in pools of liquid. They won't propagate after the initial startup.

There's a ton more I want to say, but I haven't eaten since last night, so gonna eat and come back and update this thread. Just as I was approaching the Castle the Network test finished.... The pain :messenger_loudly_crying:

Elden Ring - Prophet Faith Class PS5 Gameplay 4K HDR 60FPS (Performance Mode)

Elden Ring - Prophet Faith Class PS5 Gameplay 4K HDR (Quality Mode)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
- When you kill a mob you receive refills of your flasks for health and MP. This is awesome as you don't need to run back to a checkpoint each time.

This is pretty huge and might be enough to attract a few new people who previously were turned off from Souls.

Everything sounds great, thanks for the info, didn't get into the beta myself and very hungry for this.

skneogaf

The performance on the playstation 5 is horrible, if the game releases like this then I won't recommend anyone to buy it on playstation.

Frame rate and frame time problems.

VRR I imagine will help.

I'm more than pleased I ordered it on pc as both my pc and tv has gsync.

Last edited:

NT80

I wanna know what that wolf Berserk armour bit from the trailer was about. Will there be a transformation/shape shift ability? I hope so. Something like Father Gascoigne's transformation with new moves would be great.
fIvDa2S.jpg

JeloSWE

So the Network Test is live and got to play about 40 mins and keep getting kicked out now. Here's some info:

- PS5 install size for the Beta is 6.93 GB
- games has two modes. Prioritize FPS or Prioritize Quality
- FPS mode runs at upscaled 4K 60FPS
- Quality runs at 4K, but fps is between 30 - 60. It tries its best to push it as far as it can. Effects and rain brings it back to 30. I actually didn't mind this mode. Was pretty smooth to play.
- There is an in game HDR setting. All you can do is turn it on. There's not settings to tweak it.
- When first booting the game you may run into server troubles. It's not stable and may keep kicking you out. I think I got booted a total of 4 times. When you're about to get booted you get insane lag, so keep that in mind.
- 5 Builds each with male and female option
- Jump is tied to X button and is great. Can jump smash enemies, and even jump from ground sweeps like in Sekiro
- You can kills wild animals and hunt them for their materials.
- There are dungeons littered around the open world. Each one has materials, new enemies, and even bosses. Some have spells, pyro, and miracles.
- Map is vast. There's so much to explore
- I died plenty to the first boss as his sweeping motion of that spear reminds me of the spear enemies in Sekiro. You need to time it right.
- Enemies can ambush you. If you ever see a lone enemy. Check surrounding bushes, trees etc. They hide and ambush you from behind and sides when that lone enemy signals them.
- Triangle is now tied to interacting with objects and picking up items. whereas previous games it was X
- Not all shields can parry. The one I used for the Faith build does a miracle.

That's pretty much it for the first 40 mins I've seen. Will update as the weekend goes by. There are tons of things to see. I will make some images of cool stuff I see as well. People who are playing please update the thread and add your insight as well.

With all that being said. Game feels and looks amazing. Can't believe only 3 more months to go!!!

Update - saw a couple more new things in the game, so sharing:

- you get horse after meeting the new waifu, Melina like in the trailer. Seems like you need to find a couple checkpoints
- She gives you the ring to use as an item to summon horse. Horse has running and double jump.
- you are not invincible when jumping from heights. you can die if the drop is too large, same goes for horseback riding
- found an enemy type called Scarabs. These bugs inside a giant insect ball. Killing it will give you a health flash refill if the insect is red, and a MP flask refill if the insect is blue.
- Horse back combat is a bit rough for melee. because most weapons swing vertically when you want to do a side ways horizontal sweep. Regardless after a while i got used to it. Magic, and arrows require you to face the opponent or you will miss even when target locked
- Ash of War items. These are consumables you find in the world, after killing bosses or in treasure chests. They change properties and stats and even add abilities to your weapons. For example a shield Ash of War can change your shield attributes, or a sword one can add a thrust move, etc. There seems to be a ton you can find.
- New Greirat type NPC. He's a monkey dressed nicely, and was hiding as a tree. Smacking the tree will make him come to form. He agrees to go into caves to get items. But will take time.
- Day and Night cycle. You can rest on the checkpoints and change the time of day to Morning, Afternoon, and Night.
- Skeletons that revive return. Saw them at a graveyard with Jellyfish type floating enemies.
- The Tree Sentinel can be cheesed using the rock formation beside him. Takes a couple tries. I almost no damaged him lol.
- Watch out for certain areas. Bosses randomly ambush you in the open world. The dragon from the preview video Bandai Released showed up out of nowhere when i was fighting enemies at a small camp and one shot me.
- You can create multiple characters. I made 3 saves.
- Map in game isn't readily available. You have to find these map fragments from certain objects that fill the spaces up on the map. Map is pretty detailed and you can place markers and beacons to give you and idea of the land.
- If you have a talisman equipped on the Left hand and a weapon on the right. Using L2 button will produce a different move for the right hand weapon. Shield usually does shield art when using shield on left hand.

There's a ton more I want to say, but I haven't eaten since last night, so gonna eat and come back and update this thread. Just as I was approaching the Castle the Network test finished.... The pain :messenger_loudly_crying:

Elden Ring - Prophet Faith Class PS5 Gameplay 4K HDR 60FPS (Performance Mode)

Elden Ring - Prophet Faith Class PS5 Gameplay 4K HDR (Quality Mode)

Those videos are not in HDR, the recoded game was but the video isn't. Kinda misleading thumbnails as I wanted to see how it actually looked in HDR.

Edit: YouTube has finished processing the videos and they now appear in HDR

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Those videos are not in HDR, the recoded game was but the video isn't. Kinda misleading thumbnails as I wanted to see how it actually looked in HDR.

Ooof. I hate when videos do this, especially when you're looking for performance videos for games that haven't received the DF treatment (not saying this is SOP for the OP).

rubhen925

They are recorded in HDR. Problem is videos that are HDR take around a full day for YT to process to HDR. Come back tomorrow lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wrote this is the other thread, but:

From watching some previews, magic seems OP as fuck. Like basically there's never any good reason to try to kill a boss using melee, unless you want to intentionally make things a lot more difficult for yourself. Maybe this is their way to try to make the game more accessible for newcomers while still giving veterans an option to make the game "Souls hard", but I would prefer if things were more balanced than they are looking at the moment. If every boss can be easily cheesed from a distance with spells, where's the achievement in that?

Thoughts from those who have played it? I didn't get a key...

rubhen925

From watching some previews, magic seems OP as fuck. Like basically there's never any good reason to try to kill a boss using melee, unless you want to intentionally make things a lot more difficult for yourself. Maybe this is their way to try to make the game more accessible for newcomers while still giving veterans an option to make the game "Souls hard", but I would prefer if things were more balanced than they are looking at the moment. If every boss can be easily cheesed from a distance with spells, where's the achievement in that?

You're not wrong. I mentioned this to a friend. Melee builds are gonna have a rough time. Enemies move quick and recover fast from animations. While magic is the safe and OP option. Can literally cheese hordes of enemies with magic and miracles. It's kind of ridiculous and not balanced at all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You're not wrong. I mentioned this to a friend. Melee builds are gonna have a rough time. Enemies move quick and recover fast from animations. While magic is the safe and OP option. Can literally cheese hordes of enemies with magic and miracles. It's kind of ridiculous and not balanced at all.

Not great to hear. Seems like a strange decision after the very well known dislike of the OP magic in DeS. Sure, I could ignore magic, but it seems like this game puts a bigger focus on it than ever before and you're really MEANT to be using it. I don't want to intentionally nerf my character to the point where the game is barely playable, I just want either option to be viable and balanced and be a fair challenge.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Who is more OP Enchanted Knight or the Prophet? The Prophet reminds me of the Cleric from Dark Souls 2. The Enchanted Knight reminds me a hybrid class (warrior and sorcerer).

rubhen925

Who is more OP Enchanted Knight or the Prophet? The Prophet reminds me of the Cleric from Dark Souls 2. The Enchanted Knight reminds me a hybrid class (warrior and sorcerer).
Points in the network test go to Enchanted Knight. You have access to a 100% block shield. Multiple spells off the bat, and pretty solid melee choices. Prophet has that beast claws that does wonders in mob situations but it has its limitations. Can't hit flying enemies. Also can't use when on top of water. Enchanted Knight is so overpowered lol.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Points in the network test go to Enchanted Knight. You have access to a 100% block shield. Multiple spells off the bat, and pretty solid melee choices. Prophet has that beast claws that does wonders in mob situations but it has its limitations. Can't hit flying enemies. Also can't use when on top of water. Enchanted Knight is so overpowered lol.
Easy mode 😎 cool.

Bartski

Gold Member
yeah I'm playing the Warrior and getting demolished. Definitely not an easy game this way.

Has anyone figured out the dash? it's driving me crazy

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
You mean like the BB dash? Wasn't that a weapon specific art?
yeah like a BB sidestep. OK so this is an Ash of war???

I think I get it now, it's a terminology issue. They refer to "run" as "dash" in the manual, while the dash move we've seen in the trailers must be something else entirely. Maybe there is more to ashes of war than we know or there are some movement upgrades to be obtained later on.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I saw the enemy on horseback on someone’s YouTube page. Is that enemy easier to take down with magic because I saw Maximilian take him down as a melee character with a couple shots of lightning. It looked like he did better with melee. I was wondering if someone had a good idea of how long that enemy would take with magic versus treating him like the first boss of Sekiro. It looked like he blocked the lightning with his big shield. I can’t watch too much cause all I want to do is play the game after seeing people play it. Does it ever give off that Chariot Boss from Dark Souls 2 feeling? The one where you feel like it’s environment more than it is the enemy? I don’t get that feeling all that often, but this is a much larger world. Can these mini bosses fall off the cliff?

Graphics looks really bad and dated to me if people shitting on Halo Infinite how does this get a pass it looks like a 2012-2013 PS3 game.

FrankWza

I saw the enemy on horseback on someone’s YouTube page. Is that enemy easier to take down with magic because I saw Maximilian take him down as a melee character with a couple shots of lightning. It looked like he did better with melee. I was wondering if someone had a good idea of how long that enemy would take with magic versus treating him like the first boss of Sekiro. It looked like he blocked the lightning with his big shield. I can’t watch too much cause all I want to do is play the game after seeing people play it. Does it ever give off that Chariot Boss from Dark Souls 2 feeling? The one where you feel like it’s environment more than it is the enemy? I don’t get that feeling all that often, but this is a much larger world. Can these mini bosses fall off the cliff?
Once you have your horse, he’s not hard at all. There’s also a good armor set that helps against him. As long as you stay clear of his stun attack where he can crush you in 2 hits you just need to outlast him. The biggest thing is not getting stuck against an object and being a sitting duck.
Edit:
Sorry Northeastmonk Northeastmonk i just realized I didn’t really answer your q because I didn’t use magic. Also, I have yet to have a boss fall off a cliff or a regular enemy for that matter.

Last edited:

Stuart360

One of the streamers i watch said that if you were invited for this test you were NOT allowed to stream the game, or make Youtube vids.
Was that wrong of do you just not care lol?.

rubhen925

One of the streamers i watch said that if you were invited for this test you were NOT allowed to stream the game, or make Youtube vids.
Was that wrong of do you just not care lol?.
I've asked permission from Two different PRs for making content on my channel and to stream it.

Also if spells are too OP, that ruins that entire aspect of character builds for people who want a typical difficulty curve. I've been concerned about magic too.

Elios83

A bit better on PS5 but as always it's basically the same.
This is without the ray tracing patch :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I guess with that it will be locked 30fps.
The game obviously looks like a PS4 gen game technically with the amazing art doing most of the job in making it look interesting.
Demon's Souls on PS5 while not open world looks miles better.
Still can't wait to play it in February.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I sincerely hope that from is gonna balance everything that is op right now like magic, evocations, skills etc. (literally every preview talks about how strong they are)

I know that some people think that having strong magic is a clever way to put an easy mode on a souls game without explicitly putting an easy mode, but in this way, you know that if you like a magic class you are basically playing the kiddy version of the game with far less challenge...and in theory people buy souls game for the challenge, you see where i'm going?

I really hate when the player have to balance the game by himself and avoid to use really fun stuff because it is OP...

I like that fire spell where the dragon head appear or the skill with the claws, they are visually super cool, but they look stupidly OP so in the final game i'm never gonna use them if they remain as strong as they appear now.

What do you think? do you like the magic being the easy mode?

Last edited:
Top Bottom