• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring... So, are they waiting for next gen to reveal it now?

Pretty much what the thread title says...

it’s been ages since we heard anything of the title and it looks like there will be a MS / Sony next gen blow out before we have even seen any gameplay.

Do you think this has now been moved quietly over to next gen? I can’t imagine Sony wanting this released too close to Demon Souls reboot (if that’s even a thing)...

Anyway - what do you think?

Last edited:
I have always assumed it was going to be cross-gen at least, but maybe I am wrong? I have to think we see some footage during MS' July event, or earlier.

I dunno about being next-gen exclusive but at this point cross-gen seems pretty likely, to me.

I guess MS has the money hat with this title? I’m pretty sure they went with the Initial reveal at E3, so yeah, maybe they will show it again at their show

it’s been ages since we heard anything of the title and it looks like there will be a MS / Sony next gen blow out before we have even seen any gameplay.

Do you think this has now been moved quietly over to next gen? I can’t imagine Sony wanting this released too close to Demon Souls reboot (if that’s even a thing)...

As somebody who was one of the first people in the world to see Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 being played by the developers in front of my eyes behind closed doors during their E3 reveals I would argue that it is most likely a full on next gen title or cross gen.

From what I heard it's going to be a very dynamic game and when I say dynamic I am saying in a sense of where the mobs patrol and which mobs are where. Basically a speedrunners or no hitrunners nightmare will be fun too see the hardcore community tackle the new AI and systems of Elden Ring. If I am not mistaken Miyazaki stated that the game has inspirations from Zelda and Fumito Ueda. This is going to be a game to really watch out for.

Very excited for this game as a huge From Software fanboy. I would not be surprised if you see this game at some sort of a Microsoft showing since majority of the souls games were always marketed with Microsoft. Dark Souls II, Dark Souls III and Sekiro were all premiered for the first time at Microsoft E3s.

Honestly speaking, I would be NOT too surprised if From Software gets purchased by MS. They've done marketing together for a very long and From Software would be a perfect get for them as well. Don't forget a game called Otogi which was an exclusive Otogi for original Xbox back in the early 2000s from From Software.

That may kill dreams of Bloodborne 2 but the thing is that Sony owns the IP and can just give it to another developer if they must. We all know at this point and Microsoft made it very clear they're shopping for a Japanese developer. It's only a matter of time until we finally find out who it might be.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
S9ZZxjN.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
As somebody who was one of the first people in the world to see Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 being played by the developers in front of my eyes behind closed doors during their E3 reveals I would argue that it is most likely a full on next gen title or cross gen.

From what I heard it's going to be a very dynamic game and when I say dynamic I am saying in a sense of where the mobs patrol and which mobs are where. Basically a speedrunners or no hitrunners nightmare will be fun too see the hardcore community tackle the new AI and systems of Elden Ring. If I am not mistaken Miyazaki stated that the game has inspirations from Zelda and Fumito Ueda. This is going to be a game to really watch out for.

Very excited for this game as a huge From Software fanboy. I would not be surprised if you see this game at some sort of a Microsoft showing since majority of the souls games were always marketed with Microsoft. Dark Souls II, Dark Souls III and Sekiro were all premiered for the first time at Microsoft E3s.

Honestly speaking, I would be NOT too surprised if From Software gets purchased by MS. They've done marketing together for a very long and From Software would be a perfect get for them as well. Don't forget a game called Otogi which was an exclusive Otogi for original Xbox back in the early 2000s from From Software.

That may kill dreams of Bloodborne 2 but the thing is that Sony owns the IP and can just give it to another developer if they must. We all know at this point and Microsoft made it very clear they're shopping for a Japanese developer. It's only a matter of time until we finally find out who it might be.

Where are those Otogi ports? Why aren't they on XBO already instead of Metal Wolf Chaos? Otogi would have been a perfect fit after Ninja Gaiden saw its trilogy become BC. Otogi 1 and Otogi 2 both need modern ports.

The only major vibe was Elden Ring being revealed during MS E3 showcase. Absolutely stunning material and I have thought of its release many times since then. I do not feel like Sony will just up and lose From Software. MS fights, but i don't think they fight that dirty. I even wonder if the thought has even crossed the CEO and the board over at Xbox. A large majority of their Armored Core fanbase reside on Sony's platform. For MS to walk out and say they purchased From Software would seriously be wild.

Ar¢tos

Things were a bit confusing last time I had news from this game (end of last year).
Supposed marketing deal with MS for a VGA reveal that didn't happen and might have been cancelled because, supposedly Sony was pressuring Namco for a timed exclusivity of the next gen version , ported by Japan Studio because FROM didn't have resources to make nextgen versions.
Nothing was decided at the time, and I know nothing recent because I haven't seen my friend that worked at Namco online since November. He probably still has contacts there, I'm going to try to ccontact him to see if he knows anything else, I'm getting curious too.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
itll probably be a cross platform title.

which is fine. From games are so good that i want to play them on every platform i can.

GymWolf

lol they are not gonna ignore the current gen masses, not a chance, this is not the new cod or tlou3 or zelda that can sell 10-15 mil of copies on next-gen only in the first 6 months, from software games are still relatively niche.

stay frosty guys, you are gonna play this game on your current gen console 110%.

Ten_Fold

Microsoft better get that 1 year timed exclusive deal, that would be cool. Anyways I think they will show it soon probably either at Sony’s thing or Microsoft.

jakinov

I don't know if they have multiple teams. But if they just finished Sekiro. Elden Ring might be early in development and you'll probably see more information X months before release. Game companies (and other companies for that matter) tend to show off things closer to release when the game is more polished and the features and whatnot are more set in stone.

God I hope so. With PS5 so close, I'm not planning on getting anymore PS4 games after November unless there is some kind of framerate/effect boost if playing on PS5. Since we've seen virtually nothing about this game, they might as well debut gameplay footage with nextgen front and center. I'm sure it will look great.

Microsoft better get that 1 year timed exclusive deal, that would be cool. Anyways I think they will show it soon probably either at Sony’s thing or Microsoft.

Zero chance of that. I would say theres more chance of a from software game being exclusive to ps5.

Yes cross gen with enhancements would be best.
Cross play or save be sweet but that's probably not happening.

I agree. If I had to bet money, I would say it gets shown at he MS event in July and is announced as cross-gen. Probably a nice resolution/framerate boost on next gen consoles. But, as GymWolf GymWolf said, hard to see them just ditching the entire current get base, especially with how popular this genre is with everyone.

Just pure speculation on my part, though

Hustler

Given the lack of updates, we should assume this will be going cross generational. I'm hoping if we buy these games on current consoles we can get free access to the next gen versions, I'll be more likely to purchase on Day 1 compared to waiting for the next gen version.

Rikkori

I'm sure they'll show gameplay this year, it would be insane if they didn't. That being said, if they launch it next year then there's a good chance it's cross-gen, which would make me very sad. I wish From would put more emphasis on the tech as well, they never to push those boundaries.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope people understand that even Elden Ring does come out for next gen systems, it not gonna be graphical marvel some you guys hoping for, but man their art direction is gonna be on point that what actually I'm excited about.

Barakov

Well, it's published by Bandai Namco so they have no choice in the matter. I think the virus put a dent in their plans for a gameplay reveal like everybody else in the industry.

Bartski

Gold Member
I hope people understand that even Elden Ring does come out for next gen systems, it not gonna be graphical marvel some you guys hoping for, but man their art direction is gonna be on point that what actually I'm excited about.
Honestly, I'd perfectly fine with it looking like Sekiro on a killer PC with solid framerate and their engine's draw distance and animation issues solved. Even if the Demon's Souls remake is real and it comes earlier to spoil us with all its PS5 exclusive glory. FROM games are about something else which is why this is my no.1 most anticipated title, and we're yet to see a single screenshot

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Had a quick chat today with my friend that worked at Namco, he doesn't have much new info.
Next-gen versions confirmed (as everybody expected by now), the delays caused by the changes in development and now covid would move the release to summer time, so they decided to do nextgen versions, expected release in Q3 (I think he meant financial Q3, otherwise they would be releasing currentgen and then a couple of months later the next gen version, and unless Namco wants to milk double dippers or sell nextgen upgrades, it doesn't make sense) (this is FromSoftware... don't expect much more than higher res and maybe 60fps from the next gen versions)
Game is completed (in terms of content) playable from beginning to end, they are at fixing bugs/optimizing stage + nextgen porting.

Bartski

Gold Member
Had a quick chat today with my friend that worked at Namco, he doesn't have much new info.
Next-gen versions confirmed (as everybody expected by now), the delays caused by the changes in development and now covid would move the release to summer time, so they decided to do nextgen versions, expected release in Q3 (I think he meant financial Q3, otherwise they would be releasing currentgen and then a couple of months later the next gen version, and unless Namco wants to milk double dippers or sell nextgen upgrades, it doesn't make sense) (this is FromSoftware... don't expect much more than higher res and maybe 60fps from the next gen versions)
Game is completed (in terms of content) playable from beginning to end, they are at fixing bugs/optimizing stage + nextgen porting.

That is actually more new info than anyhing else we got in months! Wow hope it’s legit. No clues when are they planning to show it? It’s been almost a year of complete silence since the reveal trailer

Ar¢tos

That is actually more new info than anyhing else we got in months! Wow hope it’s legit. No clues when are they planning to show it? It’s been almost a year of complete silence since the reveal trailer
No idea, he doesn't know. No news about the marketing deal either.
He moved from Namco pr to some businesses software company (that apparently pays a lot more), so the info source is drying out (people move on), and since I'm no longer in the gaming media business, I can't get another source :(
It was great while it lasted for DS2 and DS3.

Ar¢tos

So... I found out that the almost nothing I shared yesterday showed up on reddit with fake insider drama, ironic since drama was the main reason i left the gaming business in the first place. I forgot GAF > internet > GAF.
I'm not an insider nor I want to be.
The info i get is third hand and often outdated. I have no way to confirm anything and neither does my friend anymore, since he no longer works there. I have no idea who he keeps in contact with there or the level of their relationship, he might have been fed BS and they are probably laughing at him now for all i know.
But between the silence of Namco/From and his info, I'll take his info since it's the info I can get closer to the devs/pubs.
Whoever has more reliable info, even if it completely contradicts his, is more than welcome to share it, I have no desire to mislead or give false hopes to anyone.

Ar¢tos

I would rather they scrap current gen versions - I don’t want to play it in 1080p/ 30 fps with bad frame pacing.
That won't happen because of install bases, there would be no profit, or little profit. As long as it doesn't have, or has optional crossplay between gens, I'm ok with it (it wouldn't be fair having 60fps vs 30fps).

Top Bottom