• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring To Launch In April 2020; Combat Mechanics Explained.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

ExHanzo also provided some interesting details on Elden Ring’s combat system and gameplay mechanics, which feel like a mix between the Souls series and this year’s Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Exploration also seems to be influenced by the Zelda series in some ways.

• Most of the combat is built upon the foundation of Souls series.
  • The powers you get from the bosses are integrated to combos like the prosthetic in Sekiro but for all weapons.
  • Some of those can also be used in the open world to open new path much like in Zelda.
  • « FP » bar like is used and it is part of the new burn mechanic. Using these powers burns your arms until they become ashes. Your arms can also be cut by ennemies if burned to a certain degree. You can use mechanical arms as a weaker replacement.
  • Limbs are dropped by ennemies but only some can be used as replacement for your arm. Most of the others are rotten or already burned. They can also be offered to « covenants ».
  • Resting at specific « altar » fully recovers your arms.
  • Stealth-kills allow to recover a bit from the burns.
  • Specific skills like crouch, swim, dive, power stance, dash, crafting herbs, magic, dual wield, parry, deflect, climb, hiding in the environnement, faith, drain, roll, super armor, high jump, awareness, knowledge
  • Skill trees with different paths.
  • The skills attributed depend on your starting class. You obtain some skills during the game depending on your build by using skill points.
  • Your arms are a new « mechanic » as well.
  • There is a « hand » command.
  • You have to sheath your weapon to use the Hand command.
  • Grab and launch objects (interrupters, levers, rocks…), push rocks, inspect the walls and manually push blocks by using both the joystick and the grab command.
  • No indication to what you can or can’t grab/push. By that I mean no text when you stand in front of a lever to activate it.

DavidGzz

I would love for it to be a next-gen launch game taking advantage of the powa but I also want it now. I guess we'll get a next-gen game from them by 2022.

That description sounds like the best game ever. DS with cues from Sekiro and the exploration of Zelda. Hnnnng

Last edited:

ExHanzo also provided some interesting details on Elden Ring’s combat system and gameplay mechanics, which feel like a mix between the Souls series and this year’s Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Exploration also seems to be influenced by the Zelda series in some ways.
All of this sounds so good, can't wait ayyyy

Kadayi

Banned
IIRC April May 2020 there are some big games coming out around then, it maybe better to give it a month or so before throwing one's hat in the ring 🤔

Rodolink

"No indication to what you can or can’t grab/push. By that I mean no text when you stand in front of a lever to activate it. "
damn, going old school all the way

xrnzaaas

wtf is it with prosthetic limbs this gen ?
I wouldn't try to find a secret meaning, a lot of sci-fi themed movies and games are focused on people who replaced their normal limbs and other body parts with cybernetic ones. In the real world this is only happening with disabled people, no healthy individual is thinking of cutting their arm or leg to get a mechanical replacement. ;) It'll probably change eventually, but I don't think at least in another 10 years.

"Most of the combat is built upon the foundation of Souls series"

0w5UAMX.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
if true then this will be the most epic of 4/20s
The game is being developed for this gen hardware? That's kinda shitty
yeah it's so shitty to develop a game for the hardware it is releasing on. lol what are they thinking /s
Nothing big is going to launch in April unless they want to be destroyed by Cyberpunk.
nah i have zero interest in Cyberpunk. 1st person shooter is an entirely different genre and market. u are clouded by hype. only way this take makes sense is if you think everyone can only buy 1 game a month.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

nah i have zero interest in Cyberpunk. 1st person shooter is an entirely different genre and market. u are clouded by hype. only way this take makes sense is if you think everyone can only buy 1 game a month.
The hype is there, it's not a shooter and it's not a game you can finish within 20 hours. Even if you can afford to buy more games you likely won't have the time to play them all.

garballax

i know i should be more hesitant to be this invested in a rumor but i've been frothing at the mouth for info on this game. this hype train's on a non-stop run to the game awards!

Kadayi

Banned
On March 6th, more than a full month before Cyberpunk.

I think CP2077 will really impact the long tail on Legion though. If CP2077 is going to be a huge time vampire. Its probably going to eat away a good couple of months of people's attention.

Terenty

FromSoftware’s games were never technical marvel to begin with, their games always looked good because of their excellent art direction rather than high tech graphics.

I'm talking more about interactivity, details, ai, etc etc. This gen is outdated already time to move on

sublimit

Banned
Not a big fan of dismemberments (one of the reasons i don't like The Surge as well) and it sounds like this game will have plenty of them. Kinda strange for Miyazaki to deviate so much from his past principles and values.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm talking more about interactivity, details, ai, etc etc. This gen is outdated already time to move on
Having more powerful hardware doesn’t always promise more interactivity and detail, we could even less interactive games because developers usually focus on higher polygon, bigger open world and have higher resolution, just look at the difference between FarCary 2 and 5.

xool

Not a big fan of dismemberments (one of the reasons i don't like The Surge as well) and it sounds like this game will have plenty of them. Kinda strange for Miyazaki to deviate so much from his past principles and values.

Sorry out of the loop - what do you mean by "deviate so much"

sublimit

Banned
Sorry out of the loop - what do you mean by "deviate so much"
If you notice in all his previous works regardless of how violent they are they are never gory and never in bad taste.Even Bloodborne.
This is from his Dark Souls Design works interview:
"Miyazaki: You may not believe me, but I always tried to maintain a certain level of refinement and elegance in all the designs. I often told the artists muddy or messy is definitely *not good*. I think this carries through the entire game, of course if you asked me to describe what this "elegance" is… well I think you just have to look at the designs and judge for yourself, but it really is one of the most important factors in everything I oversee.

Waragai: I remember you said that to me when I was working on the zombie dragon. Originally it was covered with maggots, but you told me that I needed instead, to try and capture the sadness of this great creature as it marches towards extinction.

Miyazaki: As I said before, everything has it's particular shade or tone, blight town for example is the rawest, most disgusting area in the game, but looking at the area as a whole, I wanted it to feel both bitterly cold and possess a deep sadness, and that's the atmosphere I tried to build on. You could say I have a habit of working in this way, and I think you can really see that in Dark Souls' art direction.
"

I dunno but having dismembered limbs flying all over the place sounds like something a 12 year old would find cool but not someone like Miyazaki.

Last edited:

Kabelly

If there's only one game I'm playing next year it'd be this one for sure. Open world really is a general turnoff but we'll see how it's handle. Plus evolutions of Dark Souls and Sekiro combat? Oh baby. I hope they keep the Sekiro sprint in. Especially since it's open world now so we can just book it everywhere.

KàIRóS

I hope they finally start working on something Armored Core related after they release this, Metal Wolf Chaos and Daemon x Machina left me wanting more of that stuff.

SantaC

Thread title is misleading. This info is not official.

Edit: saw the rumor flair

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dunno but having dismembered limbs flying all over the place sounds like something a 12 year old would find cool but not someone like Miyazaki.
I don’t mind “dismembered” as long as it severs interesting gameplay elements instead of just being more gory and also doubt FROM games ever go gross level of gore like recent MK games.

Belmonte

If I was not drowning in Souls-like games, Elden Ring would be day zero for me. The genre is too healthy for its own good. The worse titles are worth playing and the best ones are absolutely essential.

Right now I'm playing Nioh, Salt and Sanctuary and starting Dark Souls 3. I didn't even began Sekiro!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
playing Nioh has made me desperate for some real Souls. the repetitive, unmemorable level design, the resuse of the same enemies over and over and over again, the lack of any new weapons that aren't just the old ones with a higher number, etc. yes they pulled over a good bit of stuff but they lack the soul of Souls. no "Soulslike" has really done it for me. more like Souls Lite. i want the real deal.

glad to hear Sekiro elements will be brought in. the stealth kills were a lot of fun.

Last edited:
I've been playing Dark Souls: Remastered for a while with an aggressive motivation to learn it and complete it, and something definitely clicked. Whether it's the interconnected world design which i think is brilliant, or the deceptively easy combat system (which i don't think is the reason why it works so well, the reason why it works so well is the enemy encounter design), or the fact that i've understood aspects of the lore that i find remarkable and incredibly inventive in the way that they are designed into the game, it's been a constant surprise of unique stimulation.

I don't know if Dark Souls 2 or Dark Souls 3 are as good, because from what i've understood from the community the level design of Dark Souls: Remastered is a one of a kind design approach, which is very disappointing, and the lore/stories aren't as good as in Dark Souls: Remastered either. Maybe they'll make up for this with something else, i'm going to dedicate a good portion of my free time for each of them after i complete Dark Souls: Remastered.

GHG

Gold Member
I've been playing Dark Souls: Remastered for a while with an aggressive motivation to learn it and complete it, and something definitely clicked. Whether it's the interconnected world design which i think is brilliant, or the deceptively easy combat system (which i don't think is the reason why it works so well, the reason why it works so well is the enemy encounter design), or the fact that i've understood aspects of the lore that i find remarkable and incredibly inventive in the way that they are designed into the game, it's been a constant surprise of unique stimulation.

I don't know if Dark Souls 2 or Dark Souls 3 are as good, because from what i've understood from the community the level design of Dark Souls: Remastered is a one of a kind design approach, which is very disappointing, and the lore/stories aren't as good as in Dark Souls: Remastered either. Maybe they'll make up for this with something else, i'm going to dedicate a good portion of my free time for each of them after i complete Dark Souls: Remastered.

You're in for a massive treat. All of the games in the series are masterpieces in their own right.

Just take your time and savour each moment.

Belmonte

IMO Dark Souls is better than Dark Souls 2 in every aspect that matters and some. Lore, level design, encounter design, bosses, overall atmosphere, NPCs, etc.

But Dark Souls 2 continues to be one of the best games of previous generation, easily. Other franchises wish they got a "black sheep" like DS2 in their portfolios.

garballax

the interconnected world made a bit of a comeback in Sekiro, and there have been same-zone shortcuts in Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2 and 3. though nothing that reaches even close to the highs like Dark Souls 1/Remastered's first loop back to Firelink, sadly. any complaints about the subsequent games' lore might be because Dark Souls 1 works fine for the most part as its own self-contained story but the sequels have to tread some of the same ground. sometimes it treads a bit too far but sometimes it's juuust right. fortunately the subsequent games certainly made up for it in the combat, as you have suspected.

i'm cheering right there with you hoping Elden Ring scratches that metroidvania-like world design itch that Dark Souls 1 so thoroughly scratched. these games are definitely worth your time if you are enjoying Dark Souls 1. maybe wait for a hefty sale on Dark Souls 2 / Dark Souls 2: SotFS, though, haha!

Top Bottom