• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden ring update 1.09 is out

Puscifer

So ray tracing is actually very good in this game or?
From a personal standpoint? Yes. The RTAO is some of my favorite since Dying Light 2, the world as a whole just feels grounded and on a monitor that feeling really sucks you in. I started understanding what Alex from DF was talking about when he says that by comparison without it things seem like they're "floating" in the game world.

Last edited:

SpokkX

Just a reminder of the best way to play Elden Ring

PS4 version on PS5 is locked 60fps and barely looks worse (less grass). Better than the choppy ps5 and series x version

When implemented right, it is THE graphical feature.
We’ve hit a wall with rasterization where no matter how much artists you pour on the game so that it drips with shaders and textures… they aren’t physically lit correctly in the world and these screen space reflection glitches will never make the game feel like it should. It’ll pay off way more to have competent RTGI solution than trying to make the best looking rasterization.

We’ll drown in RT enabled games soon and it’ll become the norm, lumen is a form of RT and a big reason why unreal 5 looks like it does. The tsunami of UE5 games coming in the coming years will make RT the new baseline. By next gen they’ll likely go RT Lumen for more accuracy for consoles.

It’s the difference between looking like a PS3 game

UE5-Lumen-OFF.jpg

And next gen

UE5-Lumen-ON.jpg
Agree with you....Looks like UE5 is the only tech that can help to make real next gen graphics and RT like lighting and shadow treatment a standard...Otherwise, we will still have 2013 graphics on steroids....

FUBARx89

I tried ray tracing in a cave with a bloodhound knight boss in Luirnia, was amazing. My characters eyebrows where radioactive for brightness and the frame rate tanked something fierce.

Won't be using it 😂

Gideon

I hope fromsoft is gonna expand on the ray tracing, like adding dlss and more ray tracing features in the free updates up to the dlc but I doubt it 🙂

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
These console RT, i.e AMD centric implementations, have been pure trash.

Shadows

The most useless RT feature
THIS?!?!?!?

Wow ray traced shadows.... who gives a fuck???? people want global illumination and reflections. not fucking shadows which people can hardly notice. casting a light source and creating shadows in the radius was tech that was achieved in 2002 with splinter cell, we don't need that shit

bake the shadows, raytrace the lighting and reflections. put in the effort to optimize!!!!!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
THIS?!?!?!?

Wow ray traced shadows.... who gives a fuck???? people want global illumination and reflections. not fucking shadows which people can hardly notice. casting a light source and creating shadows in the radius was tech that was achieved in 2002 with splinter cell, we don't need that shit

bake the shadows, raytrace the lighting and reflections. put in the effort to optimize!!!!!
If RT shadows can help pushing shadows draw distance further and make them a bit less fuzzy (problem with shadow maps) and help with better AO it can have an immense immersion factor and realism boost.
Impressive Shadows and accurate Ambient Occlusion are two of the usual offline CG big big benefits.

Then again, not sure ER’s RT update delivers on any of these benefits hehe.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It's amusing looking back at those crying that RT is a waste of time and visual differences are non existent and now we have Cyberpunk OD.

I'm skeptical.

It never ceases to amaze me, how people will pull the most inane BS out of their asses when it comes to defending the lack of good performance in certain games!

Are these people LYING to defend "their game" or do they genuinely not know how framerate is supposed to look?

Because Elden Ring on PS5 to THIS VERY DAY feels straight BAD to play and STUTTERS CONSTANTLY!

Basically what I'm saying is TWO things: the person you replied to is a MORON and Fromsoft can suck my dick for never fixing this game. The performance is THAT BAD and anyone whose played it for more than 5 minutes should know this!

Yeah ...it pisses me off when people make things up to defend something that isn't deserving of being defended. That behavior hurts the game and hurts gamers because they're contributing to a great game NEVER being fixed!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It never ceases to amaze me, how people will pull the most inane BS out of their asses when it comes to defending the lack of good performance in certain games!

Are these people LYING to defend "their game" or do they genuinely not know how framerate is supposed to look?

Because Elden Ring on PS5 to THIS VERY DAY feels straight BAD to play and STUTTERS CONSTANTLY!

Basically what I'm saying is TWO things: the person you replied to is a MORON and Fromsoft can suck my dick for never fixing this game. The performance is THAT BAD and anyone whose played it for more than 5 minutes should know this!

Yeah ...it pisses me off when people make things up to defend something that isn't deserving of being defended. That behavior hurts the game and hurts gamers because they're contributing to a great game NEVER being fixed!
Seriously, HOW TF have they not fixed it. Just add 5 more fps. Do something, anything....
Or at the very least include internal LFC like some other games. 48fps vrr is trash.

After you burn the erdtree, the game barely is in 48-60fps range. It is relatively stable before that.

TheHolyGhost

Neo Member
Not here to defend anyone or anything, is this on performance mode or quality? quality is about 30 and has the effect you mention, performance isn't locked 60 fps but it doesn't do any of that stuttering either, it hovers around 52-55 fps, maybe a dip to under 50 for a bit of you're in the open world.

Unless we got different PS5s I find it highly unlikely your console randomly has more bugs than mine and dozens of others, if you're on performance mode that is.

Framerate mode almost always is between 50-60 but not locked to either

Last edited:

Killer8

I think it looks OK visually speaking. It's just that the performance cost is terrible for what it is. But to be fair, I think that applies to the entire engine. From Software really needs to improve on the technical front.

They needed to include DLSS alongside the RT. RT without upscaling tech is going to just run like shit whether it was a good or bad implementation.

StueyDuck

Seriously, FROM really needs to hire some experts on the tech field ...
I remember being explicitly told by a fellow gaffer that it's stupid to expect such a thing.

I succinctly remember being told that "they have to make concessions" so us as consumers shouldn't criticise them for not improving their tech or hiring to improve their tech.

Top Bottom