• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls 6 Is A Long Time Off, Might Not Launch Until Next Generation Of Consoles.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/elder-scrolls-6-is-a-long-time-off-might-not-launc/1100-6462813/

Speaking to GameSpot at PAX Australia today, Bethesda marketing boss Pete Hines and ZeniMax Online Studios game director Matt Firor said it'll be a long time before The Elder Scrolls VI comes out--so long that the game might not hit until new console hardware is release.

"The easiest thing is look at how it was announced; it was Starfield and then [Elder Scrolls 6]," Firor said. "You can go back and count the years between Bethesda Game Studios releases, and you'll get the idea that [The Elder Scrolls 6 is] not coming anytime soon."

I asked Firor about The Elder Scrolls VI in regards to how that game's release might affect ZeniMax's MMO The Elder Scrolls Online. Specifically, I was wondering if The Elder Scrolls Online might incorporate the world of The Elder Scrolls VI in some way, following the way in which Morrorwind came to The Elder Scrolls Online by letting players go back to Vvardenfell. Firor said it's too soon to say what will happen as it relates to whatever location The Elder Scrolls VI takes players to.

"I don't even know what the world is going to be like when it comes out; there will be a different console generation by then, I'm sure," he said. "Who knows. But I know we're free and clear for a long time."

Check the link for more.

Didnt we already know this? I feel like we already knew this

Yeah it's obvious, Starfield is probably still a couple years away. ES6 is probably at least 4-5 years away. I think the most pessimistic outlook on the next generation is a 4th quarter 2020 launch. Elderscrolls VI would need to already be well under development to make a release date this generation.

Weird to think a decade or more will pass from Skyrim.

Remember when the almost 6 years between Oblivion and Skyrim seemed like a long time for a series to take a break?

I definitely wouldn't have expected Elder Scrolls to skip this gen completely.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Weird to think a decade or more will pass from Skyrim.

Remember when the almost 6 years between Oblivion and Skyrim seemed like a long time for a series to take a break?

I definitely wouldn't have expected Elder Scrolls to skip this gen completely.
Ironically i feel it has to do with skyrim's own success. They can go a decade or longer just by coasting on porting skyrim a few times.

Ironically i feel it has to do with skyrim's own success. They can go a decade or longer just by coasting on porting skyrim a few times.

Skyrim does have longer legs than Oblivion did.

But if you had asked me a few years ago I would have said for sure there would be a new Elder Scrolls in the PS4/XBO gen, really shocking to think that won't be the case.

Kreydo

Starfield 2020, so TES VI 2022 at best... Then we will have to wait 1 or 2 years for the modders to fix the game, around 2024!

Yep you guys still have the time to mod TES V Skyrim, because don't expect TES VI to even feature half of the possibility a modded Skyrim can offer.
Just play Skyrim with the Live Another Life mod, and do the quest that the community crafted (which are most of the time better than the vanilla ones...), drop that world savior DragonSuperSaiyan destiny.

You can basicaly mod every single feature of Skyrim without ruining his purpose but only enhancing it, with Better and Fonctional Inn, realism, lighting, economy, travel, horse, craft, climate, combat, archery, animation, romance, companions, beard, hair, boobs,ass physic! EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Good take as long as you need, just make sure to skip the fuckin gamebryo shitty ass engine while you are at it

Senhua

As expected, to be gained critical reception they need to be at least on par with:
- Witcher 3 in terms of world building and story design
- BOTW in terms of exploration and physics
- Dragon dogma in terms of combat and animations

Kenpachii

As expected, to be gained critical reception they need to be at least on par with:
- Witcher 3 in terms of world building and story design
- BOTW in terms of exploration and physics
- Dragon dogma in terms of combat and animations

They just need mods with elder scroll slammed on the cover with a great song like skyrim had and its will sell.

Assuming Bethesda continues the downward trend they've been on for the past 15 years, I'm far more excited for what Zenimax Online Studios will do with TESO when TESVI comes out.

xviper

judging by how fans hated Fallout 4 and will probably hate Fallout 76 too, i don't think TES 6 is looking good now, but we're far away from TES 6 so maybe Bethesda would actually change their crappy engine and make something decent

Fitzchiv

As someone who has sunk a lot of hours into Fallout and TES over the last 10 years it feels like a bit of a letdown that both series have gone off the rails or into hiatus because Bethesda have decided to do some bowel mining.

F4 was fine, it needed some corrective response in terms of what modernised aspects worked/didn't work - but the response has been the absolute opposite of what's needed. And as for the dry-humping of Skyrim long after the moment has passed..

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I for one hope it doesn’t come this gen. the teaser was underwhelming graphically, for me anyway. I didn’t get that sense of awe I had with the first Skyrim trailer, where I actually needed the game there and then.

Thing is Skyrim is an awful game. It’s an amazing game... but now, it’s so dated. And I fear Bethesda will release another game with minimal changes and fixes and full of bugs. I would rather however the game looked like Skyrim HD, but was improved in all other areas...

But yeah, I hope they wait until next gen myself. Don’t rush it. Look at fallout 4: worse off in every way compared to 3/NV other than graphics, and even those were a bit naff.

Gaps between the major ES games:

Daggerfall-Morrowind = 3 years
Morrowind-Oblivion = 4 years
Oblivion-Skyrim = 5 Years
Skyrim-ES6 = 10 years?

Priorities change of course, Bethesda is also peddling/putting resources into Fallout as a major Franchise now. Up until Oblivion, their focus was only on ES. But they managed to release Fallout 3 in 2008 then Skyrim just 2 years after that. Maybe it's the same engine they've been using, right up until Fallout 4.

Maybe they're going all out with a new engine for ES6. In that case ES6 will be as big a jump from Skyrim as Oblivion was from Daggerfall.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect TES6 coming in under 5 years. If they've just started early planning for it, and they have Starfield going on for next gen launch, it'll take at least two years after that before they'll be ready to move to TES6. It's sad how long these game dev cycles have become, but luckily there's so much diversity on offer it's not like we'll run out of games to play. It does pose a problem for studios though if they don't want to be stuck with one franchise. They could do it like Bioware tried with MEA but that can backfire, and these yearly franchises like AssCreed made by gargantuan teams all over the world just do not have any soul in them.

This is good news as far as I'm concerned. The further delayed it is, the more likely it is to have good VR support as they can take advantage of newer hardware.

Maybe they're going all out with a new engine for ES6. In that case ES6 will be as big a jump from Skyrim as Oblivion was from Daggerfall.

At this point I'm convinced they're sticking with Gamebryo for the long haul. Maybe the improvements made between 76 and Starfield will be enough to address people's concerns but I'm reminded of the guy who worked on a commercial Gamebryo project and said from experience that many of the issues fans have with their tech is fundamentally Gamebryo's fault.

I'd be willing to tolerate Bethesda's jank and technical issues if they had decent artists and offered RPGs with actual role playing and depth in them again but I'm skeptical. Also, I'm sick of Bethesda hiding the weirdness of the series in lore books. Without reading the books in game, Skyrim was no higher fantasy than Game of Thrones.

Fbh

They didn't even have a name for it and all they said is that it would be coming after the game for which they only had a logo to show.

I'm pretty sure no one was seriously expecting it to come out this gen

Razvedka

Banned
I wonder at what point Bethesda will invest in a new engine. I know it's almost a meme to ask that question, but the realization that the gap between Skyrim and TES6 could be a decade (or more) makes me ponder it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They did for Starfield.
No they didn't. Bethesda are going to use that shit engine until we stop buying their games. They have to be the worst AAA studio at this point on a technical level. With all the money they have, there is no excuse for the buggy, ugly, clunky games they are releasing. How much longer can good faith keep them afloat?

Last edited:

Alebrije

They will work on ES6 after Skyrim Samsung refrigerator edition is done.

699fc83fc343d720f9f5bafa7a8360ad.jpg

Last edited:
3 years from?

Sorry, what I meant to say is the absolute earliest we would get it (in my head) would be three years from this past E3. I realize even that probably sounds stupid of me. I was thinking maybe we would get actual gameplay footage next E3, playable demo the following E3, and release date after the next E3.

I know that’s probably way too foolish of me tho, and I guess we are more likely looking at 5-6 years from now based on what I’m reading?

J3nga

Lol probably what they meant was until the generation that comes after the upcoming. RDR2 took 7 years to develop and release, so jokes aside somewhere once the upcoming consoles generation takes a good spin/closer to their's sundown, also it should take a big step on the whole open-world concept, not just bigger map with bunch of quests.

Last edited:

Kreydo

No they didn't. Bethesda are going to use that shit engine until we stop buying their games. They have to be the worst AAA studio at this point on a technical level. With all the money they have, there is no excuse for the buggy, ugly, clunky games they are releasing. How much longer can good faith keep them afloat?
Are you sure about Bethesda still using Creation/Gamebryo for Starfield? I remember some talk about delaying Starfield to give time to the team to work with the "new" engine.

Also while I agree that their engine is dated, this the only engine that allow so much modding while providing tools. I already said it, but Bethesda open world RPG are meant to be modded and if a new engine mean no modding tool, this will be a huge loss... The modding creativity and sharing community is the last good thing we have in gaming, and it's mostly because of Bethesda games.
I myself just can't go back playing on games that can't be modded, there is always something that can be improved, always. That why i rather play a clunky modded Fallout 4, than a fancy but souless Horizon Zero Dawn.

LordOfChaos

Yeah I thought this was widely assumed to be a next gen title just given the amount of dev time between their current game and then working on this. But this is just more confirmation.

Stuart360

Er i think literaly everyone knew this would be a next gen game, probably a next gen game that comes 3 or 4 years into next gen.

SonGoku

Sorry, what I meant to say is the absolute earliest we would get it (in my head) would be three years from this past E3. I realize even that probably sounds stupid of me. I was thinking maybe we would get actual gameplay footage next E3, playable demo the following E3, and release date after the next E3.

I know that’s probably way too foolish of me tho, and I guess we are more likely looking at 5-6 years from now based on what I’m reading?
yeah with these news im expecting 2021+

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Are you sure about Bethesda still using Creation/Gamebryo for Starfield?

Yes.

Todd on updates to the Gamebryo Creation Engine.
For Fallout 76 we have changed a lot. The game uses a new renderer, a new lighting system and a new system for the landscape generation

Yeah, great job...
For Starfield even more of it changes. And for The Elder Scrolls 6, out there on the horizon even more.”

So as you can see, they have no plans of creating a new engine. Ever.

Link

Ar¢tos

And the game will probably release with a note saying that because it is such a big game and on new hardware, players should expect plenty of bugs, glitches and crashes.
"please understand".

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Might not launch before until next generation of consoles? No shit Sherlock. We haven't even seen squat of Starfield at they said that's going to be next after Fallout 76.

Top Bottom