• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Elebits sir? Sorry, never heard of it"

painey

It seems for some asinine reason, Elebits will be renamed "Eledees" in Europe. The mind boggles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71556

also instead of an Elebit plush for pre-ordering, European gamers can look forward to this fantastic gift
led-photo.jpg

i made that last bit up

Haunted

Is dee an actual word? I can relate to the 'bit' part in Elebits, but 'dees'?

On the other hand, renaming is nothing unusual in gaming, but often retarded. PAL: Fahrenheit - US: Indigo Prophecy. Or a favourite of mine: US: Brain Training - Germany: Dr. Kawashima's Gehirn Jogging.

Haunted

Nash said:
Ah, Eledees - LED's

Good work Konami, that's really clever.
duh! I'm stupid. If that's what they were going for, I take everything back - that's ok in my book.

There must be some reason. OK Euros, confess. In whose language does the word "Elebits" mean something like "giving a farm animal oral?" It has to be something like that...

Luckett_X

Banned
Haha, i dunno, i quite like it as a clever pun. It makes a sort of more sense really. Different coloured eledee's. Its really not that bad of a name change

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
A_Lee_N said:
why would they rename that? makes no sense.

Might be a pronunciation thing, difficult to say or something.

Elebits is better, but this change isn't horrific or anything and keeps the electricity theme. It looked like one of those games that might miss out on an EU release all together, so it's good to see it geting a release in the first place. It's a good little game, and one of the best uses of the remote.

Haunted_One said:
Is dee an actual word? I can relate to the 'bit' part in Elebits, but 'dees'?

On the other hand, renaming is nothing unusual in gaming, but often retarded. PAL: Fahrenheit - US: Indigo Prophecy. Or a favourite of mine: US: Brain Training - Germany: Dr. Kawashima's Gehirn Jogging.
That one actually makes sense, "Gehirn Jogging" is a term which was in the media before Nintendo released Brain Training. Plus in the target demographics you can't expect everyone to be able to understand english. And apart from that Brain Training is a descriptive title, why shouldn't you rename it?
Elebits or Eledees on the other hand makes no difference at all. Fine if they are aiming for LEDs but that is neither funny nor overwhelmingly witty. Just stick with Elebits and bring the damn game to Europe Konami.

Suerte

Phife Dawg said:
Just stick with Elebits and bring the damn game to Europe Konami.

I'm sure if it was that easy, they would have done so, after all it's going to cost them more money to rename the game than if they hadn't. I'm guessing it's most likely something to do with copyright issues.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It sounds like the name of a restaurant named after an old man's wife. Some sort of creepy old timey pet name.

Suerte said:
I'm sure if it was that easy, they would have done so, after all it's going to cost them more money to rename the game than if they hadn't. I'm guessing it's most likely something to do with copyright issues.
Never underestimate the stupidity of European software publishers. I can't imagine copyright problems concerning the use of the name Elebits in a video game.

8bit

Knows the Score
Phife Dawg said:
Never underestimate the stupidity of European software publishers. I can't imagine copyright problems concerning the use of the name Elebits in a video game.

I imagine there might be a French company called Le Bits that might not be entirely delighted with the original name.

Ignis

It might be (again) because of us French.

If you pronounce it with a French accent, "Elebits" becomes "Hé, les bites !", which basically mean "Hey, dicks !" (yes, the body part, not the nickname for Richard).

Kinda funny but definitely against Nintendo's family-friendly policy. :D

Edit : I don't know why they chose "Eledees" as a replacement though... Maybe they'll come up with a made-up reason in the game manual =P

8bit said:
I imagine there might be a French company called Le Bits that might not be entirely delighted with the original name.
Who would name his company "The Bit" (as in bytes)? And even if someone did just that it might not be registered for the use in digital media/games.

Ignis said:
It might be (again) because of us French.

If you pronounce it with a French accent, "Elebits" becomes "Hé, les bites !", which basically mean "Hey, dicks !" (yes, the body part, not the nickname for Richard).

Kinda funny but definitely against Nintendo's family-friendly policy. :D

Edit : I don't know why they chose "Eledees" as a replacement though... Maybe they'll come up with a made-up reason in the game manual =P
MrPing1000 said:
genitalia but only if you're 5
Now this could be the reason, but there are no such problems here in Germany. Release Elebits now! :p
Oh and blaming France is always a good idea ;-).

Amir0x

Banned
Kleevah said:
clevergirlve7.jpg

Name is fine imho. Elebits sounded just as retarded first time i heard that and now i don't even give it a second thought...

hehe, you got the reference. +10 points :)

farnham

Banned
dont care about the name.. just happy that both elebits and trauma center are now confirmed..

but where is super swing golf..?

farnham said:
dont care about the name.. just happy that both elebits and trauma center are now confirmed..

but where is super swing golf..?

It'll be released as Regular Swing Golf: Don't Get Worked Up About the Swinging

Top Bottom