• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electronic Arts files trademark for "Unravel" in Europe

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday, on March 17, 2015, Electronic Arts Inc. filed in Europe a trademark application for "Unravel". It is a basic Community trade mark (CTM) filing for Computer game software and Entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game. The filing entered the database of the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) yesterday, and reads as follows:

Trade mark information

Name: UNRAVEL
Filing number: 013842455
Basis: CTM
Date of receipt: 17/03/2015
Type: Word
Nature: INDIVIDUAL
Nice classes: 9, 41 ( Nice Classification )
Vienna Classification
Filing date: 17/03/2015
Registration date
Expiry date
Designation date

Filing language: English
Second language: French
Application reference: TM402093EM-BRM
Trade mark status: Application under examination
Acquired distinctiveness: No

Goods and services

9 Computer game software; downloadable computer game software via a global computer network and wireless devices; video game software.

41 Entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game; Provision of information relating to electronic computer games provided via the Internet.

Owners

ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.

ID: 47206
Organisation: ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.
Legal status: Legal Entity
State, district or territory of incorporation: Delaware
State/county: California
Town: Redwood City,
Post code: 94065-1175
Address: 209 Redwood Shores Parkway
Correspondence address:
ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.
209 Redwood Shores Parkway
Redwood City, California 94065-1175
ESTADOS UNIDOS (DE AMÉRICA)
Source: https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/013842455

At time of writing, no information is publicly available from the USPTO stating if EA has also filed an application for Unravel in USA.

I've searched thoroughly for what this can be. It doesn't appear to be a feature of a game anyway, not a previously announced one at least, but there's of course chance I may have overlooked something. If not, perhaps this can be a new game to debut at E3?

Blizzard

Banned
It's hard to guess anything from just a name, but my immediate mental association was something like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a "serious" theme game that would fit with that name.

Makes me think of Tearaway, but of course EA won't be making a game as charming as that so this will probably be a subtitle for a Battlefield game on mobiles or something.

Ah, I thought we were discussing with arguments beyond "lulz FIFA" :p Especially as nothing about the name "Unravel" sounds like a MOBA, really (looking at other games in the market).

A rash generalization at best. I haven't played FIFA recently to confirm these inadequacies but it's not uncommon to hear complaints of it. And since when do random words from the dictionary automatically have to reflect a videogames concept?

Haunted

It's hard to guess anything from just a name, but my immediate mental association was something like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a "serious" theme game that would fit with that name.
I'm thinking apocalyptic setting, everything going to shit. Think first 20 minutes of TloU.

edit: team based MP only shooter, of course

Kifimbo

Just a quick update. In the United States, EA trademarked Unravel, but also Limitless, MUT, Ghost and Uprise.

MUT is probably Madden Ultimate Team.
Ghost and Uprise are EA studios.
Unravel and Limitless might be names for a future Need for Speed games. Especially considering there a mobile game called Need For Speed No Limits.

ekim

Update:
untitledkuul1.png

Domains don't do anything as of yet.

Top Bottom