• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electronic Arts to decide fate of Anthem Next this week

AceofJakes

If they really wanted to improve this game they would have followed the same route of fallout 76 or no man's sky and really gone to work, updating little by little, communicating with the community and adding what was promised. The fact we're 2 years in and they've ONLY just starting reviewing things means it's dead.

Quasicat

I bought Anthem when it was $5 one day on a whim, I traded in MS points for it. My question is, can I play this like a single player game without the servers? I’m thinking they will kill the servers if they kill the reboot.

Last edited:
I bought Anthem when it was $5 one day on a whim, I traded in MS points for it. My question is, can I play this like a single player game without the servers? I’m thinking they will kill the servers if they kill the reboot.
Anthem is online only. If the servers shut down, you will not be able to play.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I think EA will put this out of its misery. There’s no demand for it. All interest is lost. They didn’t deliver on their promises. They’ve lost any faith.

Even if it was free I wouldn’t play this, especially when the likes of Warframe are jam crammed with content and a strong player base.
Fool me once comes to mind....

The actual gameplay of this was fine. There was just nothing else to it, which seems to be the defining trait of those that jumped late to the looter shooter grind. I hope they give it another chance but I'm guessing projections for Mass Effect upres aren't quite good enough to consider funnelling money into this Bioware project.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I thought it was already abandoned.
Of course it was - the decision has been made when the game utterly failed at launch and was on a downwards trajectory since.
This may just be the time when they officially announce it.

One of the rare cases when you really couldn't blame EA for shutting down a project.

Last edited:

small_law

I bought Anthem because I had to see it for myself. BioWare fundamentally didn't understand the type of game that they were making. It's like they looked at Destiny's design shortcomings and learned all the wrong lessons. Instead of distinct playable areas presented as planets, they made one big dumb generic map. Instead of three classes, they made four, but didn't give them more than five or six distinct abilities each. They have a tower, but it isn't a social space. It's like somebody tried to copy Destiny from a description scribbled on a bar napkin. They missed the point.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

I bought Anthem because I had to see it for myself. BioWare fundamentally didn't understand the type of game that they were making. It's like they looked at Destiny's design shortcomings and learned all the wrong lessons. Instead of distinct playable areas presented as planets, they made one big dumb generic map. Instead of three classes, they made four, but didn't give them more than five or six distinct abilities each. They have a tower, but it isn't a social space. It's like somebody tried to copy Destiny from a description scribbled on a bar napkin. They missed the point.

They eventually patched in a social space,but it was so fucking generic.

I almost pre-ordered this, cause I usually like BioWare games. But, I cancelled before release because I wasn’t getting good vibes. Best gaming decision I made that year. If it goes free to play and gets fixed, maybe I’ll eventually try it, but probably not.

tylrdiablos

Played it for about 5 hours on EA's GamePass/All-Access/EA-Play/whatever it's called about 8 months ago.

Enjoyed flying and shooting things but got bored of the repetition. Shame. There was fun to be had with certain bits.
Will be interested to see what happens to it. I hope it gets a revamp and another chance at life. (Another? Didn't they already do this?)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Of course it was - the decision has been made when the game utterly failed at launch and was on a downwards trajectory since.
This may just be the time when they officially announce it.

One of the rare cases when you really couldn't blame EA for shutting down a project.

But you COULD blame them for originally releasing it way before it was anything resembling a finished product.

YuLY

giphy.gif

EA Exec: "What's next in the meeting? Anthem? What's that?"

EA Staffer: "A poorly received game that we've been trying to fix for 2 years."

EA Exec: "Uh, what are we deciding then?"

EA Staffer: "I guess... I guess we're deciding if we should even try. I mean, try more. I guess?"

EA Exec: "Trying sounds hard. And expensive. Let's do a ME remaster instead."

EA should just sell Bioware to a publisher that actually gives a shit and knows how to get a studio in line when managers drop the ball or a project needs direction. Ever since the purchase, EA has forced four out of eight games out the door way too early just to meet quarterly/year end fiscal reports.

Top Bottom