• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electronic Arts trademarked Alpha Centauri

Kifimbo

On August 1st, Electronic Arts trademarked Alpha Centauri, twice.

First, for a Computer game software; Downloadable computer game software via a global computer network and wireless devices.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85386181

Second, for an Entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game; Provision of information relating to electronic computer games provided via the Internet.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85386166

Does it mean a new game is in development ? Not necessarily, since EA already owned Alpha Centauri, but the trademark was cancelled in 2009 because registrant did not file an acceptable declaration under Section 8. To view all documents in this file, click on the Trademark Document Retrieval link at the top of this page. The new applications are more broad than the old one.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=75376404

Also, let's remember the original AC was recently released of GOG.com. Might be related to that, or maybe EA will relaunch Alpha Centauri on other DD service like Origin.

Lock if old.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dont play with my heart.

ultron87

I choose to remain unenticed by this news for my own sanity.

In a likelihood it'll just be a Facebook farming game where you occasionally get attacked by Mindworms.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me.

We dont say Believe for nothing.

Oh man, a re-make or new game would make my year. I put a little too many hours into this game the first time around and I was only young enough to scratch the surface.

Spl1nter

blah. The only developers who should be allowed to make a new alpha centauri game are either sid meier or stardock.

Woorloog

Banned
Alpha Centauri with proper AI and more extensive terraforming would be my dream game...
But it won't happen. It's gonna be in Facebook or shooter or Alpha Centauri In Name Only etc...

Alpha Centauri will be the name of their new paid music downloading service.

Next month they're going to launch a line of luxurious portable toilets in major markets under the name Ultima.

You don't want to know what Wing Commander is...

Haha, I missed this thread and read the information on Eurogamer. GAF > Internet > GAF.

I'm fully not expecting AC. It will probably be a shooter with awesome buttons, social elements and an incredibly innovative cover system. A deep, engaging morality system will be available later through DLC for people that don't buy the LE.

Because strategy is obviously an outdated genre.

edit: I also read that this morning: Brian Reynolds foretold the solution to the London riots

Acosta

On facebook

ffffff....

Can't wait for that cover based TPS with Facebook cross compatibility!

ffffffFFFFFFFF......

100% facebook game

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUuuu.....

I'm fully not expecting AC. It will probably be a shooter with awesome buttons, social elements and an incredibly innovative cover system. A deep, engaging morality system will be available later through DLC for people that don't buy the LE.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
All I want is a Win7 compatible re-release of the game. I don't trust EA to put out a worthy sequel.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
thetrin said:
All I want is a Win7 compatible re-release of the game. I don't trust EA to put out a worthy sequel.
Doesn't the GOG release work on Windows 7?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Alien Bob said:
On facebook

So I have to work with others to get a nuke and then work against everyone to fire it. Great. :/

DaBuddaDa

This will end up like Age of Empires Online, with cute, family friendly, slapstick, pixar/disney-esque characters and DLC up the ass on Facebook.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Alpha Centauri being brought back as a facebook game would kill me. Why would you even bother wasting the franchise on that? It's only popular with hardcore strategy geeks.

Top Bottom