• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Elefunk

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jun 7, 2004
19,437
13,731
2,110
jeremy_ricci said:
So I love the game, it's really cool, and I'm learning!

But I can't help but notice there are a lot of Euro gamers here who still don't seem to understand how economy and cost of living tie into pricing, and that it's not a dollar for dollar conversion from NA to EU.

Yeah, all that shipping and handling and tons of localization work surely justifies the higher price tag ;).

It would almost be a good argument if Sony did not itself debunk it quite a while ago commenting about how pricing content across worldwide PSN stores of Digitally Delivered content would have to be (and then saying it would have to be more even).

$5 and 7.99 Euros is not even pricing, it is called stupid EU people (and we are obviously or people would have fought back with their wallets a long time ago) allow us to be more competitive in the market we really care about... the U.S. one.
 

BeeDog

Member
Aug 2, 2007
15,495
0
0
Sweden
I'm sorry if I missed this, but how many stages are there in total in Elefunk? It's an intriguing game, and the demo was fairly interesting.
 
Panajev2001a said:
Yeah, all that shipping and handling and tons of localization work surely justifies the higher price tag ;).

It would almost be a good argument if Sony did not itself debunk it quite a while ago commenting about how pricing content across worldwide PSN stores of Digitally Delivered content would have to be (and then saying it would have to be more even).

$5 and 7.99 Euros is not even pricing, it is called stupid EU people (and we are obviously or people would have fought back with their wallets a long time ago) allow us to be more competitive in the market we really care about... the U.S. one.

Well, the Euro and Pound are both significantly stronger than the dollar, the cost of living is higher in EU and England (very few on an average NA salary could survive in EU or England).

I understand why you're upset, who wouldn't be...but honestly, it's been decades, and nothing has changed...aren't any of you the least bit tired of complaining? Hell, you already pay through the roof for petrol and everything else under the sun.
 

Tntnnbltn

Member
Jul 12, 2007
8,579
0
0
BeeDog said:
I'm sorry if I missed this, but how many stages are there in total in Elefunk? It's an intriguing game, and the demo was fairly interesting.
My superior Google skills tell me 20 levels.

Edit: Blah, beaten.

BeeDog said:
Figured NeoGAF was faster than a Google search. :D Thanks guys.
You were right. :eek:
 

Pimpwerx

Member
Jun 7, 2004
26,261
1
0
305 'til I die
Tntnnbltn said:
What else could you have been building? :/

That seems like an obvious solution to me. I'm just wondering what other people are trying to do.
It's what I started building, minus the triangles in the middle. One guess where it kept failing. ;) I started building the left side with tris, then got tired and quit out. I only finished the first two puzzles, and spent a bit too much time trying to match the crazy 3 second mafia that's raping lvl1's high score board. PEACE.
 

Durante

Member
Oct 1, 2006
48,836
1
0
peter.metaclassofnil.com
Tntnnbltn said:
You can really tell the players who know what they're doing on multi. I met someone in a random match last night, and he made the exact same moves I would have made. It was great. We managed to remove half of the towers before they collapsed.
What's your PSN id? I haven't tried the MP yet.

Tntnnbltn said:
Is that the one with the three elephants and only string/platforms? I'm stuck on that one. I figure I have to use the spare platforms as intermediate things for the string to attach to, but I still haven't had much luck with it.
Yes, that's it. It's the only level in the game where I ran out of parts on my first design.
 

Ploid 3.0

Member
Jun 6, 2004
28,300
4
1,510
Multi player is nice. I wish we could construct our own towers and puzzles for single playe. No text, bubble text, or voice communication is sad though. It's $5 at least.
 

Durante

Member
Oct 1, 2006
48,836
1
0
peter.metaclassofnil.com
I have no friends
:.(
who play this game, and comparing yourself to the worldwide top 5 is somewhat frustrating in most levels. So if anyone feels the same please friend me (PSN ID DuranteA).
 

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jun 7, 2004
19,437
13,731
2,110
jeremy_ricci said:
Well, the Euro and Pound are both significantly stronger than the dollar, the cost of living is higher in EU and England (very few on an average NA salary could survive in EU or England).

I understand why you're upset, who wouldn't be...but honestly, it's been decades, and nothing has changed...aren't any of you the least bit tired of complaining? Hell, you already pay through the roof for petrol and everything else under the sun.

No, I am not tired ;).
 

Tntnnbltn

Member
Jul 12, 2007
8,579
0
0
I had a round of multiplayer with Durante. On one of the rounds we had the top half of the tower (including an elephant) collapsing after the timer had gone off. Yeah... after that I stayed the hell away from the top half. :p

Ploid 3.0 said:
Multi player is nice. I wish we could construct our own towers and puzzles for single playe. No text, bubble text, or voice communication is sad though. It's $5 at least.
I agree. At the very least, multiplayer needs some completely unsymmetrical maps.
 

Durante

Member
Oct 1, 2006
48,836
1
0
peter.metaclassofnil.com
Tntnnbltn said:
I had a round of multiplayer with Durante. On one of the rounds we had the top half of the tower (including an elephant) collapsing after the timer had gone off. Yeah... after that I stayed the hell away from the top half. :p
The second level collapsing was a real WTF moment for me. I definitely didn't expect that.

Anyway, I agree with you all, this game needs a level editor (preferably both for SP and MP levels).
 

Tntnnbltn

Member
Jul 12, 2007
8,579
0
0
Just beat 4-3. Wow, that stage was epic. At two different sections the bridge collapses under my elephants, and the wave of destruction races after them, but they just make it to the next section in time! :D

Photos of the interesting bits ahoy (all from my successful attempt, believe it or not):


 

Tntnnbltn

Member
Jul 12, 2007
8,579
0
0
BeeDog said:
The early trailers of Elefunk showed some pretty nasty framerate drops, are those still in there?
Haven't noticed any framerate problems (or tearing, for that matter) myself. If they're there, they must be too subtle for me notice.
 

Flunkie

Banned
Feb 12, 2008
12,740
0
0
USA
twitter.com
BeeDog said:
The early trailers of Elefunk showed some pretty nasty framerate drops, are those still in there?
No framerate problems for me so far. The only time it chugged just a litte was when I was zoomed all the way in on one of my elephants, and the bridge broke and he fell through. Other than that minor occurrence, it's been perfect.
 

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jun 10, 2004
24,539
3
1,560
Italy
www.iwagglevr.com
Is it me or those two disclaimers at the game start up are the most annoying thing ever? I mean, they last AGES and are unskippable. And there are loading "steps" before and after them. WTF. Why?

BeeDog, yeah, no frame rate issues at all. Trailers were just poorly encoded or something.
 

indie85

Banned
Feb 24, 2006
607
0
0
I think its the last level of the second stage, anyway, theres two elephants rolling and I get them to their destinations on the opposite sides of the screen but nothing happens and i have to restart the level? wtf?
 

Durante

Member
Oct 1, 2006
48,836
1
0
peter.metaclassofnil.com
TTP said:
Is it me or those two disclaimers at the game start up are the most annoying thing ever? I mean, they last AGES and are unskippable. And there are loading "steps" before and after them. WTF. Why?
Absolutely agreed. Who thought this was a good idea and how did it get through testing?

indie85 said:
I think its the last level of the second stage, anyway, theres two elephants rolling and I get them to their destinations on the opposite sides of the screen but nothing happens and i have to restart the level? wtf?
Did you get all the pickup items?
 

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Aug 26, 2007
21,309
0
0
Australia
Im up to the swamps......... HARD! ......... I only build my bridges for one crossing :lol so if shit falls down once hes gone past it, no biggie, the rolling thing was a hoot, just used the bare minimum to get the elephants.
 

indie85

Banned
Feb 24, 2006
607
0
0
Durante said:
Did you get all the pickup items?
Yeah, I think so, I mean they rolled where they were supposed to do so I assumed they got all the stars, though thinking about it I didnt check that. Too late now though, I quit. I'll check tomorrow.
 

Evander

"industry expert"
akachan ningen said:
You're doing it wrong. You have to use the shape of the pieces of in different situations, like use the triangles as flying buttresses, use straight pieces to suspend a bridge, etc. And don't be afraid to use all the pieces, not just trying to use as few as possible to up your score. Also, you HAVE to make a strong base on the strong spots. And don't try to hang so much weight that they just fall apart.

I was stuck for a while on a long and winding road but once I figured it out, I understood the way the game works.

Is there some kind of tutorial that teaches this stuff?

I mean, sure, I work for an engineering and architecture firm, but I'm just a finance guy; I don't know what shapes support what kind of weight off the top of my head.



TTP said:
Is it me or those two disclaimers at the game start up are the most annoying thing ever? I mean, they last AGES and are unskippable.

Elefunk Wii confirmed!
 

Doel

Member
Jan 18, 2007
1,911
0
0
Durante said:
:lol
:lol

Here are some of my completion times for a few levels. This is for the first time I ever tried the respective level:
- 3-4: 221 seconds
- 3-5: 164 seconds
- 5-1: 109 seconds
- 5-2: 172 seconds

I'm not
just
posting this to brag, but to illustrate that the game is about as far from trial and error as you can get. It works on the same principles as every other building game. If you have a lot of experience with them it's easy to pass levels on the first try (and fast, once you get used to the controls).

I think it's easily worth even the €8 I paid for it, what I dislike most are the set pieces (I'd rather place each strut manually), the lack of an undo option and the fact that time counts a lot more in terms of score than ingenuity in building. And it could use some more complex levels.
Help me with "Across the Swamp" on "The Swamp Lands" theme! I can't figure it out.
 

chickensoup

Member
Jan 20, 2007
1,068
0
0
indie85 said:
Yeah, I think so, I mean they rolled where they were supposed to do so I assumed they got all the stars, though thinking about it I didnt check that. Too late now though, I quit. I'll check tomorrow.
One of the pickups on the right hand side after the crossover point isn't on the floor, so the elephant needs to be going quick enough before the gap to jump into it.

The other problem I had is that the elephants need to get all the way over to the ends of the platforms for it to register as complete, right up against the bit where it ramps up again. Just getting down onto that bottom section isn't enough.

That level is a right pain in the backside.
 

Tntnnbltn

Member
Jul 12, 2007
8,579
0
0
indie85 said:
I think its the last level of the second stage, anyway, theres two elephants rolling and I get them to their destinations on the opposite sides of the screen but nothing happens and i have to restart the level? wtf?
I also had a LOT of trouble with this stage. Even though I collected all the items, it kept sending me to the failure screen. I think it's because the elephant that started on the left was rolling too fast -- at the end of the level it wasn't lined up with the Exit sign on the map. It rolled up the ramp, down again and half way across the bottom platform.

Came back and started from scratch the next day, and I guess I built it differently because this time it stopped in the right place.
 

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Oct 14, 2007
12,894
0
0
Tntnnbltn said:
Just beat 4-3. Wow, that stage was epic. At two different sections the bridge collapses under my elephants, and the wave of destruction races after them, but they just make it to the next section in time! :D

Photos of the interesting bits ahoy (all from my successful attempt, believe it or not):
[IM G]http://i37.tinypic.com/2gsmsdz.jpg[/IMG]
[IM G]http://i34.tinypic.com/29zoeh3.jpg[/IMG]
[IM G]http://i33.tinypic.com/2412q6t.jpg[/IMG]
I never thought to do what you're doing with the extra platforms on that level. That's pretty awesome actually.
 

Tntnnbltn

Member
Jul 12, 2007
8,579
0
0
BobsRevenge said:
I never thought to do what you're doing with the extra platforms on that level. That's pretty awesome actually.
I figured that was the only way possible. From experience, if you try and link multiple ropes together in mid-air they collapse under their own weight.
 

Durante

Member
Oct 1, 2006
48,836
1
0
peter.metaclassofnil.com
Doel said:
Help me with "Across the Swamp" on "The Swamp Lands" theme! I can't figure it out.
Here, built just for you:
http://i35.tinypic.com/mi2iki.jpg (spoilers!)
(Note that this is a really inelegant solution, I jut threw it together as quickly as possible (138 seconds))

Tntnnbltn said:
I figured that was the only way possible. From experience, if you try and link multiple ropes together in mid-air they collapse under their own weight.
I didn't use any such mid-air platforms. However, I did need to use every single rope. The key is to use the rope in shapes similar to real rope-based bridges, there's a reason they do that ;)

Here's a simple example of what I mean in Pontifex 2:
 

Tntnnbltn

Member
Jul 12, 2007
8,579
0
0
Durante said:
Here, built just for you:
http://i35.tinypic.com/mi2iki.jpg (spoilers!)
(Note that this is a really inelegant solution, I jut threw it together as quickly as possible (138 seconds))
Lol, so much more simple and elegant than anything I build.

I didn't use any such mid-air platforms. However, I did need to use every single rope. The key is to use the rope in shapes similar to real rope-based bridges, there's a reason they do that ;)
I think I ended up with 3 spare pieces of rope, but used up all of the platforms (the other two were on the right hand side of the screen).

On a related note, I beat the last two levels tonight. They were a piece of cake after 4-3.


cryptic said:
Do the elephants dance?
^ Weirdest stealth edit I've ever seen.
 

dk_

Member
Feb 5, 2007
5,147
0
1,000
Germany
I really wanted to buy Elefunk, but after the Euro pricing disaster I tried Armadillo and I loved it. After some impressions, I'm really glad I didn't pick this up for fucking 7,99 EUR.
 

Durante

Member
Oct 1, 2006
48,836
1
0
peter.metaclassofnil.com
Tntnnbltn said:
^ Weirdest stealth edit I've ever seen.
Yeah :lol

dk_ said:
I really wanted to buy Elefunk, but after the Euro pricing disaster I tried Armadillo and I loved it. After some impressions, I'm really glad I didn't pick this up for fucking 7,99 EUR.
Armadillo Run is an utterly amazing game that I've played for literally hundreds of hours, and incomparable to Elefunk in terms of complexity and long-term entertainment -- I'm happy you bought it. But I still think Elefunk is not a bad value at 8€. Of course it's an even better value at $5.

You could say Elefunk is the Civilization Revolution to Armadillo Run's Civilization 4. </geek-out>
 

dock

Member
Oct 14, 2004
5,159
0
0
Justin Dailey said:
Fuck this game...seriously...

I'm too stupid to beat the thrid level...I accept that...fine...

But let me fucking go on to the fourth level rather than having the whole game locked out until I find a YouTube video on how to beat the third damn level.
Yeah, this is a lame design decision. With stage based puzzle games, you really ought to let the player 'skip' a certain number of puzzles and then go back and beat it later on to get that option back. Toki Tori allows this, as does Zen Puzzle Garden, and I'm sure most good puzzle games.
 

chickensoup

Member
Jan 20, 2007
1,068
0
0
Tntnnbltn said:
- high scores will not register for a level if you choose to Restart/Clear Level before getting a personal best. Very stupid.
Ah so is that the reason why I can't see the score for some of the levels, even after I've gone back and got new PBs? I hope this is a bug, because if someone actually designed it to work like this then they deserve to have their devkit confiscated and get demoted to the QA department :-(
 

Tntnnbltn

Member
Jul 12, 2007
8,579
0
0
chickensoup said:
Ah so is that the reason why I can't see the score for some of the levels, even after I've gone back and got new PBs? I hope this is a bug, because if someone actually designed it to work like this then they deserve to have their devkit confiscated and get demoted to the QA department :-(
Well that's what someone said to me in the PlayStation Store thread. Sometimes I still can't get the high score to register though. :(
 

BeeDog

Member
Aug 2, 2007
15,495
0
0
Sweden
Thanks guys for answering my framerate question.

Anyway, apparently the dev for this game is 8bit Games, but can't really find shit about them. Does anyone know if they have a forum or so? Thought I'd drop a message and ask if they had planned trophies for this game, and/or a patch that does some of the possible improvements suggested here.
 

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jun 10, 2004
24,539
3
1,560
Italy
www.iwagglevr.com
BeeDog said:
Thanks guys for answering my framerate question.

Anyway, apparently the dev for this game is 8bit Games, but can't really find shit about them. Does anyone know if they have a forum or so? Thought I'd drop a message and ask if they had planned trophies for this game, and/or a patch that does some of the possible improvements suggested here.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/contractor_display.php?contractor_id=3429

Their website is so minimalistic...
 

BeeDog

Member
Aug 2, 2007
15,495
0
0
Sweden
Thanks. Mailed them, and hoping for a response. Doubt it though. :p

EDIT: whoopdedoo,

<contact@8bitgames.com>:This address no longer accepts mail.
 

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jun 10, 2004
24,539
3
1,560
Italy
www.iwagglevr.com
Tntnnbltn said:
One logo websites are all the rage now for PSN devs.

Their previous website was a bit more substantial.

But did they move from UK to US?
I read they are an UK dev (as the old website shows as well), but Gamasutra profile says they are based in Salt Lake City (and the new webiste being a ".com" rather than a "co.uk" kinda supports this).