• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elefunk

btkadams

Bearillusion said:
Worth buying?

$4.99 on the US store and $12.95 on the Aussie store. What!?
i didnt buy it and im quite happy. but i too am interested if i would be happier with it purchased.

GodofWine

Yea, I could blow $5 on much stupider things...but seriously, its fun.

I just wish it would display my best scores...

Slacker

x2y said:
Dose it have trophies?
Nope.

It's a good game, especially for five bucks. Fair warning however: It's hard as hell. At least I hope it is. All these years I thought I was smart...

BTW anyone been playing multiplayer? It's not bad. You have to delete pieces from the structure without toppling the whole thing and dumping the elephants, a la Jenga. Pretty good stuff.

Evander

"industry expert"
Demo seems neat, but my issue is that beating a level appears to be solely based on trial and error, unless there is something that I'm missing.

If it was possible to look at a level and understand it, and then pass it on the first try, I'd be all over this, but I don't feel like spending money in order to just stick random shapes in random spots until something works.

If there IS something there that I'm missing, please let me know, because if there is something more there than guess and check then I will totally buy it.

jmd494

Fuck this game...seriously...

I'm too stupid to beat the thrid level...I accept that...fine...

But let me fucking go on to the fourth level rather than having the whole game locked out until I find a YouTube video on how to beat the third damn level.

HUELEN10

GOD YES BUY THIS NOW!

Single player is okay, but online is where it shines! You take turns dismantling towers, piece by piece. You make it fall, you lose! Truly epic.

Poigea

I bought it, and am enjoying it. The first couple of levels were driving me crazy, but then I got the hang of it and went through the next couple levels fairly fast.

The multiplayer is pretty fun, like playing jenga sort of. I like it, $5 well spent IMO.

Doel

Great game. Easily worth $4.99.

Right now I'm on "Across the Swamp" on "The Swamp Lands" theme, and can't for the life of me figure it out.

Evander said:
Demo seems neat, but my issue is that beating a level appears to be solely based on trial and error, unless there is something that I'm missing.

If it was possible to look at a level and understand it, and then pass it on the first try, I'd be all over this, but I don't feel like spending money in order to just stick random shapes in random spots until something works.

If there IS something there that I'm missing, please let me know, because if there is something more there than guess and check then I will totally buy it.

You're doing it wrong. You have to use the shape of the pieces of in different situations, like use the triangles as flying buttresses, use straight pieces to suspend a bridge, etc. And don't be afraid to use all the pieces, not just trying to use as few as possible to up your score. Also, you HAVE to make a strong base on the strong spots. And don't try to hang so much weight that they just fall apart.

I was stuck for a while on a long and winding road but once I figured it out, I understood the way the game works.

Doel said:
Great game. Easily worth $4.99.

Right now I'm on "Across the Swamp" on "The Swamp Lands" theme, and can't for the life of me figure it out.

yeah, the swamp levels are taking me like a half hour each.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game is using static force distribution rules to determine the strength of the structure you built. It's absolutely not trial and error, if you understand how force is distributed through different shapes of girders, you can finish the levels in the first attempt for sure.

I've finished first 8 levels so far, and I think they are maybe a little harder than the original Bridge builder, but they are not too hard. First five levels are like Bridge Builder, second five seem to be like Armadillo Run.

It's a fun and well made game, easily worth $5 they are asking for it. Music and graphics are good, and elephant animations are quite adorable at times.

Flunkie

Banned
Marconelly said:
The game is using static force distribution rules to determine the strength of the structure you built. It's absolutely not trial and error, if you understand how force is distributed through different shapes of girders, you can finish the levels in the first attempt for sure.

I've finished first 8 levels so far, and I think they are maybe a little harder than the original Bridge builder, but they are not too hard. First five levels are like Bridge Builder, second five seem to be like Armadillo Run.

It's a fun and well made game, easily worth $5 they are asking for it. Music and graphics are good, and elephant animations are quite adorable at times.
Yep. If you get the game and how the game works, it's not going to be as difficult for you as it would be someone who doesn't understand the concept of force and weight.

It's nice.. to have a game that makes you think.. once in awhile. :p

Doel

I think the confusing part is when you are building it, all the pieces are static, which makes it confusing as hell when you get to the Swamp and have to rely on the ropes. So to me it may look like a rope is properly attached to another thing, but when I hit start, it swings down.

Grayman

I need to build a stronger understanding in the game as well. Going back to earlier levels I have a lot of trouble finishing them a second time.

beast786

Doel said:
I think the confusing part is when you are building it, all the pieces are static, which makes it confusing as hell when you get to the Swamp and have to rely on the ropes. So to me it may look like a rope is properly attached to another thing, but when I hit start, it swings down.

OH Noez, I C IGNERS HERE :D

Aladuf

Banned
I just got done messing around with the demo for a little bit, It definitely was fun but I suck at these types of games so I'm not sure yet.. I may or may not buy it.

Tntnnbltn

Marconelly said:
This. It's definitely not just trial and error. Although I usually do play that way; I complete the first section of bridge then trial it out before moving onto the next part.

Some of my criticisms of the game:
- only 5 available levels on the multiplayer. This area should have way more focus -- it's the best part of the game. Could use another 5-10 maps easily.
- no in-game voice or text chat during online multiplayer (although you can still send messages through the xmb)
- no true analogue zoom. To zoom in you press R3 upwards, but it just zooms to a predetermined level. Often in levels you'll find that zoomed out is too far away, but zoomed in is too close.
- no advanced replay features like rewind, pause. It just has slow/normal/fast motion. I'd like the ability to rewind after my bridge breaks and watch closely where it breaks rather than play the entire thing again
- high scores will not register for a level if you choose to Restart/Clear Level before getting a personal best. Very stupid.
- The Pricing! There should be no reason why Europe is paying more than twice as much as the US for a digital download. While I'm not saying it's not worth it at the Euro currencies, it's a slap in the face when 6 hours later the US gets it for $5.

Dante

Argh, on the fence here. I purchased Rayman, and with Siren, and Eden on the horizon I'm a tad hesitant to pull the trigger. I'm ashamed to admit this, but trophy's woulda put me over the edge and made it an instant purchase, this game is HARD and if any game needs trophy's to show off your hard work, this is it.

rocksolidaudio said:

Will this be on a future 1Up show? Wasn't Skip into bridge builder games?

Durante

Evander said:
:lol
rocksolidaudio said:
:lol

Here are some of my completion times for a few levels. This is for the first time I ever tried the respective level:
- 3-4: 221 seconds
- 3-5: 164 seconds
- 5-1: 109 seconds
- 5-2: 172 seconds

I'm not
just
posting this to brag, but to illustrate that the game is about as far from trial and error as you can get. It works on the same principles as every other building game. If you have a lot of experience with them it's easy to pass levels on the first try (and fast, once you get used to the controls).

I think it's easily worth even the €8 I paid for it, what I dislike most are the set pieces (I'd rather place each strut manually), the lack of an undo option and the fact that time counts a lot more in terms of score than ingenuity in building. And it could use some more complex levels.

Durante

Well, I finished the game.

First time completion times:
4-3: 689 seconds (by far the hardest level in the game IMO)
4-4: 105 seconds (lolz)
4-5: 341 seconds

Also:
fu7vvl.jpg

I think that's the first non-Japanese flag I've seen in all the top 5.

Darkpen

Banned
I was really fascinated when I first saw footage of the game, as it rekindled my memories of bridge building with straws and pins back in 8th grade, but the actual gameplay in the demo was sort of a let down. I was expecting being able to build with a variety of materials, but instead I'm forced under a timer that reflects your money, and predetermined shapes.

I'm glad to hear that people enjoyed it though. Might be worth $5, but eh.

Durante

Darkpen said:
I was really fascinated when I first saw footage of the game, as it rekindled my memories of bridge building with straws and pins back in 8th grade, but the actual gameplay in the demo was sort of a let down. I was expecting being able to build with a variety of materials, but instead I'm forced under a timer that reflects your money, and predetermined shapes.
Buy Armadillo Run. Seriously. It's an amazing game and offers exactly what you're looking for. And it's independently developed so the guy could use your money.

http://armadillorun.com/

Bought Elefunk from the US Store yesterday and i live in Belgium. Why would I pay 8 euro instead of 3.3 Good thing I waited for a day. :lol

Loving the game. Knew the concept, but it has a nice audiovisual coat. And it's not broken easy, wich is rarely these days!

Steroyd

Justin Dailey said:
Fuck this game...seriously...

I'm too stupid to beat the thrid level...I accept that...fine...

But let me fucking go on to the fourth level rather than having the whole game locked out until I find a YouTube video on how to beat the third damn level.

OMG me too!

The fucking briidge collapses without the elephant stepping a fucking foot on the fucking bridge, wtf man W.T.F!?

Tntnnbltn

You can really tell the players who know what they're doing on multi. I met someone in a random match last night, and he made the exact same moves I would have made. It was great. We managed to remove half of the towers before they collapsed.

Then today, I kept getting people who had no clue what they were doing. It was almost like they were targetting the weak spots. :(

Durante said:
Well, I finished the game.

First time completion times:
4-3: 689 seconds (by far the hardest level in the game IMO)
Is that the one with the three elephants and only string/platforms? I'm stuck on that one. I figure I have to use the spare platforms as intermediate things for the string to attach to, but I still haven't had much luck with it.

Miburou

LOL, I didn't know there was a demo, I just saw it on the JP store for 600Y and buy it without thinking. Haven't played it yet.

Tntnnbltn

Durante said:
For those having problems with level 3 here's a very simple example solution: (spoiler warning!)
http://i36.tinypic.com/11ra9zd.jpg
Diagram explaining why this solution works. Forces from the weight of the elephant are shown in red. Supporting forces pulling the bridge in the opposite direction are shown in blue. The whole thing is annotated with explanations.

It's important to note that the bridge and supports themselves have mass, and they too would make their own red arrows. Sometimes adding more pieces will make your bridge less stable simply because it's heavier. You'll especially notice this when using strings.

So I love the game, it's really cool, and I'm learning!

But I can't help but notice there are a lot of Euro gamers here who still don't seem to understand how economy and cost of living tie into pricing, and that it's not a dollar for dollar conversion from NA to EU.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dante said:
Argh, on the fence here. I purchased Rayman, and with Siren, and Eden on the horizon I'm a tad hesitant to pull the trigger.
I'm considering getting Rayman too, but I have a feeling I won't play it that much - I played the game a lot on different platforms already. Elefunk is addictive though.

Top Bottom