• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock TBS

Starting up a beta thread is fine, but official threads work better when they start from a clean slate right around the time the game is released so that people don't have to wade through a multi-page thread for info.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Teknopathetic said:
Starting up a beta thread is fine, but official threads work better when they start from a clean slate right around the time the game is released so that people don't have to wade through a multi-page thread for info.

Well Stardock just likely delayed the release date six months, in order to have a year long beta.

It's a year long beta in that game, so a 2nd thread could start in a year. (The beta debuts at PAX)

Johann

Starting a beta thread and then the official thread when the release date approaches would probably be for the best. The twitter page alone has enough information for an opening post.

Thought this was interesting enough to bump the thread:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/362223

During Stardock’s recent preview to IGN, one of the closest kept secrets of the game, its diplomacy system, was finally unveiled. In Elemental, diplomacy is not merely a matter of trading and treaties but involves family politics as well. Each sovereign, while eternal, can have children who will, in time, grow up, have children, grow up, and pass on and repeat the cycle over and over. Political marriages can strengthen ties and children and family members can become playable characters in the game world similar to “heroes” found in other games who have their own unique abilities based on their pedigree.

Mentions that it was influenced by George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones novels (mega sweet) and sounds like a logical step forward from the awesome family system in the Total War games.

Sipowicz

Banned
this looks amazing but i'm a little intimidated by these types of games

i've played civ rev, advance wars and panzer tactics on ds. i have also played a bunch of real time strategies on pc

are these 4x games noob friendly?

Doytch

platypotamus said:
Thought this was interesting enough to bump the thread:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/362223

Mentions that it was influenced by George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones novels (mega sweet) and sounds like a logical step forward from the awesome family system in the Total War games.

Tre posted a new thread about this article, its bumming around the first few pages.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Doytch said:
Tre posted a new thread about this article, its bumming around the first few pages.

One big difference between SD and the TW games: SD generally cares for and delivers on QC. I'm really wondering how SD is going to deliver on all this promise though- it really feels like they're promising the greatest game (of the genre) ever. That said, I think SD will deliver.

Can't wait for early Sep beta.

Doytch said:

This is what I get for converting to a largely thread-subscription based browsing method. Sorry Tek!

Sipowicz said:
are these 4x games noob friendly?

Sure, just start on the lower difficulty levels and ramp up. If you enjoyed Civ Rev, the core gameplay is similar, just with more depth and complexity. On the lowest difficulty levels of these types of games, you can usually get away with ignoring stuff that you aren't ready for, or experimenting a bit to figure out what works.

vesp

This first beta takes place entirely on the cloth map thing right? I kinda hope so or there goes 40bucks after work and I've already got plenty of things I should be playing

epmode

vesp said:
This first beta takes place entirely on the cloth map thing right?
Yeah, here's a breakdown:
BETA OBJECTIVES

BETA 1

1. Initial Build: Basic Compatibility
2. Beta 1A: Initial Gameplay Skeleton
3. Beta 1B: Initial Economic system Implemented
4. Beta 1C: Initial AI system Implemented
5. Beta 1D: Initial Diplomacy system Implemented
6. Beta 1E: Initial Dynasty system implemented
7. Beta 1F: Initial Magic system implemented
8. Beta 1G: Initial Quest system implemented

BETA 2

1. Initial build provides basic multiplayer (player hosted – client/server)
2. Beta 2A: Persistent stat tracking
3. Beta 2B: Stardock hosted option.
4. Beta 2C: Stardock hosted persistent games
5. Beta 2D: Stardock hosted persistent universe game (persistent dynasties)[more]

BETA 3

1. Initial Kumquat3D engine build of Elemental.
2. Beta 3A: Introduction to Dungeons
3. Beta 3B: Introduction to Magical Spells

BETA 4

1. Introduction to tactical battles
2. Beta 4A: New multiplayer mode: Arena
3. Beta 4B: Customized tactical battle options
4. Beta 4C: Super-Duper AI Update to tactical battles
5. Beta 4D: Polish Beta (extensive and ongoing)

BETA 5

1. Introduction to integrated modding
2. Beta 5A: Persistent universe mods
3. Beta 5B: Third-party Maya/3D Studio importing beta
4. Beta 5C: Modding group testing

GAMMA

1. Private Build (only very active beta testers get access to this under NDA)
2. Single Player Campaign Testing

RELEASE

1. When the consensus is that this is the best turn-based strategy game of its kind available.

Betas will also include additions and enhancements to previously released milestones (i.e. additional game modes, additions to multiplayer options, additional single player quests, more single player game options, etc.).
imageObjectives of BETA 1 in detail:

1. We want to know if it runs okay on your computers. If it doesn’t, tell us what operating system you’re running, video card (dxdiag is a useful tool), CPU, etc. The more hardware info, the better.
2. As has been mentioned, beta 1 will NOT be fun in any way. We are not kidding about this. Our objective with this first build is to get the parameters on which the game runs, how well it runs.

On October 1st, we will have BETA 1A which will implement some of the “game” features that we took out of beta 1 along with a lot of features that we’ve been focusing on since PAX (computer AI, economic AI, research tree stuff, etc.).

The entire BETA 1 (and BETA 2) series will only play on the cloth map (seen above). The cloth map mode will remain the standard game experience for the Elemental beta until the Beta testers (AND Stardock) decide the game is sufficiently fun without having to rely on next-generation graphics. This will take as long as it takes.
http://forums.elementalgame.com/363844

Well, they converted me. I preordered. The interview the other day with shacknews flipped me over the edge.

And they lied, beta 1 is to fun. :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A friend of mine who is a huge fan of Master of Magic (a game I never played) was gushing about Elemental: War of Magic to me the other day. I checked it out on the Impulse website and it looks pretty damn awesome. I love me some hardcore PC strategy gaming! It's too bad it won't be out for a few months, but I will most definitely be picking this up.

If I pre-order right now can I download the beta? It looks like the purchase page on their site hasn't been updated in awhile and says the beta is closed.

eznark

Banned
MrCompletely said:
If I pre-order right now can I download the beta? It looks like the purchase page on their site hasn't been updated in awhile and says the beta is closed.
I was going to check that out when I got home. Shoot someone an email over at Impulse, their customer service is fantastic. Or find Wardell on one of the million social networking sites, dude responds to all that stuff.

eznark

Banned
Beta 3 is open (at least I assume it is, I just got an email saying I had been charged, which means I am downloading that shiiii right now!)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Much improved, still some ways to go. I feel confident this game will be fun, once it gets figured out though.

Very complicated right now though- moreso then GalCiv.

Just glad Stardock is doing the AI, or I'd have no confidence in the single-player.

Dennis

Banned
GalCiv 2 is one of my all time favorite strategy games, so I have very high hopes for Elemental.

I don't have time to participate in the beta so any impressions posted here would be appreciated.

eznark

Banned
It's really, really cool. I'm a little worried that they are trying to do too much and some things might suffer for a few patches, but the scope of the effort is impressive. Kingdom building, questing, character development, insane amounts of customization, hero/unit progression, diplomacy, trade, tech tree, spell tree.........Strategic, tactical,multi-generational role playing, city building turn based god game. I guess that sums it up?

I turned on the cloth map and it made me wish I had jumped into the beta earlier. I found the cloth map, chit style pretty charming.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Yeah, the game definitely feels like right now it's trying to do too much. Kinda like Alpha Centauri in some ways.

Then again, Alpha centauri is a classic- and this will likely compare with Alpha Centauri.

eznark

Banned
Right now I am most interested to see where the battles end up. They've evolved heavily it seems since the initial beta and have gone from real time to what Brad described a "X-Com" style. None of that is in the beta yet but that could add a whole nother level of crazy awesome.

To be clear I don't feel like it's necessarily trying to do too much, I'm just worried they won't have time to polish all of the various elements of the game in time for launch, and some will suffer as a result.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
eznark said:
Right now I am most interested to see where the battles end up. They've evolved heavily it seems since the initial beta and have gone from real time to what Brad described a "X-Com" style. None of that is in the beta yet but that could add a whole nother level of crazy awesome.

To be clear I don't feel like it's necessarily trying to do too much, I'm just worried they won't have time to polish all of the various elements of the game in time for launch, and some will suffer as a result.

That's what patches and expansions are for- and we'll get plenty of patches and a couple expansions with Stardock. They have my full trust as a company , they've earned it over the years.

eznark

Banned
arstal said:
That's what patches and expansions are for- and we'll get plenty of patches and a couple expansions with Stardock. They have my full trust as a company , they've earned it over the years.

Sure, but release it too early and it gets Demigod'd. I loved that game, hate to see it happen again, where technical issues just chop the knees out from the community. There is a small thread about it over at the game site and Brad chimed in:

frogboy said:
The public beta is not the same as our internal beta.

Of course I assumed that was the case but it does ease my mind a bit.

IIRC, Tactical Battles are in internally, and we should see them in the beta in a week or two.

I'm about to try Beta 3, haven't played in a few weeks and apparently there's lots of new stuff. Excitement!

Spl1nter

eznark said:
Sure, but release it too early and it gets Demigod'd. I loved that game, hate to see it happen again, where technical issues just chop the knees out from the community.

Big difference being that Demigod was created by Gas Powered Games and published by Stardock. I have full trust in everyone at stardock. A bunch of the models and quests in the beta were created by Brad himself who isnt exactly part of the art team. They are holding a lot more back then you expect.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Also, the issue with Demigod that got them in trouble was a MP issue, that involved pirates crashing the servers accidentally. It got fixed in a few days. This game isn't a MP-centric as Demigod.

Spl1nter

arstal said:
Also, the issue with Demigod that got them in trouble was a MP issue, that involved pirates crashing the servers accidentally. It got fixed in a few days. This game isn't a MP-centric as Demigod.

There were other issues with the mp but it was peer to peer. Everything in elemental will be server based.

eznark

Banned
arstal said:

People were having problems getting into 5v5 presets months after release.

I know it's not the same dev or anything, just the first thing I thought of when someone brought up "release it now, fix it later" in the other forum.

I hope there is some significant multiplayer in Elemental. I know they are making a huge effort to involve modders and the community, and it seems like that never holds up in single player focused games outside the rare exception.

Despite my minor misgivings (and the game crashing when I alt+tab!) the beta is a ton of fun.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
eznark said:
People were having problems getting into 5v5 presets months after release.

I know it's not the same dev or anything, just the first thing I thought of when someone brought up "release it now, fix it later" in the other forum.

I hope there is some significant multiplayer in Elemental. I know they are making a huge effort to involve modders and the community, and it seems like that never holds up in single player focused games outside the rare exception.

Despite my minor misgivings (and the game crashing when I alt+tab!) the beta is a ton of fun.

Well, they've said on the official servers, no mod support. Private servers can have it though. Mods are going to be primarily SP I believe from that.

I have the same misgivings you do, but MP isn't a big concern to me.

eznark

Banned
I probably won't play a ton of MP (unless somehow there are super streamlined modes) but the existence of a robust MP community always helps keep a game alive.

Totakeke

I'm really interested in the game but I'm not ready to shell out 50 bucks for it yet. I liked previous Stardock 4X games like GalCiv but it the games were never that intuitive for me and it always felt like there's a lot of information that I was just missing. The concept for this game is awesome though, and I hope they'll have an open beta or demo soon enough.

Do they have a set release date for the game yet?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Totakeke said:
I'm really interested in the game but I'm not ready to shell out 50 bucks for it yet. I liked previous Stardock 4X games like GalCiv but it the games were never that intuitive for me and it always felt like there's a lot of information that I was just missing. The concept for this game is awesome though, and I hope they'll have an open beta or demo soon enough.

Do they have a set release date for the game yet?

August 24th.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I know- double post, but Stardock started Beta 4 today and beta is closed.

The patch made the game a lot more stable and reliable- managed to finish a game, though it did chug in the endgame some when we both had large armies.

Game is starting to look good now, and they get 3.5 weeks left to work on it. They are off crunch time now as well. (This month was the first time I saw Stardock employees really work significant amounts of OT- usually Brad likes to keep them at 40 hrs/week)

eznark

Banned
Can't wait to get home and check it out. I was nervous w/ B3 despite Wardell saying everything was going great. Now hearing that they are working normal hours...well, they can't delay it at this point, right?!

Any significant game play changes? Have they added the tactical battles?

Acosta

Man, has been hard getting out of the Beta having the game preordered (CE "We miss you Ultima boxes" edition) but the thing is getting closer and I can't barely wait. I know this is a useless post but I wanted to share this important info with everyone in this fine thread.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
eznark said:
Can't wait to get home and check it out. I was nervous w/ B3 despite Wardell saying everything was going great. Now hearing that they are working normal hours...well, they can't delay it at this point, right?!

Any significant game play changes? Have they added the tactical battles?

They added tactical in the last beta. It's less broken now.

They added in this mod a much more refined tech tree, AI, and modding. Also the game is supposedly as stable as GCII retail release (not that stable, but stable enough). Memeory leaks are supposedly mostly fixed also.

They go gold next week (though patching will continue until beta, pre-gold patching will be stability based to get the retail as bug-free as possible)

Top Bottom