• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Risen From Jank

Just bought on cdkeys. Got code instantly and registered on steam.

Still waiting from GMG. I bought from GMG as I assumed it is the more "legit" store and it was the same price as CDKeys. I know CDkeys buys retail and sells keys which is fine and I use them but I wanted to give PB all my moneys.

Krakn3Dfx

In 4 1 on PC, watched Karak's review and despite his final score, still sold me on it. Sounds like there are a lot of problems with the game, but I love the idea of a massive world to explore. Going to power through the first dozen or so hours to get to the good stuff. Maybe they'll do some patching in the meantime.

Got a long weekend coming this week so I shall dedicate myself to the glorious jank.

I thought Risen 3 was pretty great tbh and I enjoyed that almost as much as 1, was only 2 I was really disappointed in.

Risen 3 was pretty fun but the game was way too long and combat was broken from the start, even on hard difficulty. When I acquired fire fist it became even easier, not to mention invincibility rolling. Only to be confronted at the end with a boss that interrupts all your magic attacks so pure magic users are completely shafted. Took me like 30 tries to beat him, mostly through rolling my way around the battlefield and other shameless acts of cheese.

also Patty's redesign is...questionable at best l0l

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Put about 3 hours in so far, and I'm really digging it. It feels a lot like Risen 1 and less like 2 and 3.

Combat seems like It's the best PB had done to date.

Fantastic world building, and the jet pack is a great addition. It makes exploring the world a lot more compelling, finding all sorts of little hidden areas.

I'm playing on a Pro, and I'm pretty sure it's downsampling. Really smooth edges on everything (unfortunately it makes my fans pretty loud as well). The draw distance is pretty bad though... it fogs out too soon.

My only complaint so far is how shitty the map is. Scrolling it around is horrible... it pauses and hitches like it's running at 5-15 fps. And I really wish I could add my own notes.

Ricker

Not sure why this is 30 bucks more on consoles...? 49.99 on Steam and GoG but 79.99(CAD) on the PS4...I understand the console tax but usually its like 10 or 15 bucks more,but 30...? c'mon man.

My PC is right at the minimum specs(660 2GB),not sure I can run it at 1080p medium with that...anyway,one more reason to wait a bit to play this one.

Krakn3Dfx

Not sure why this is 30 bucks more on consoles...? 49.99 on Steam and GoG but 79.99(CAD) on the PS4...I understand the console tax but usually its like 10 or 15 bucks more,but 30...? c'mon man.

My PC is right at the minimum specs(660 2GB),not sure I can run it at 1080p medium with that...anyway,one more reason to wait a bit to play this one.

This is a good reason to utilize Steam's refund system if it doesn't run like it should.

Audioboxer

kKxVhgO.png

Tempted, but I want to buy on PS4 and right now it's nearer £40 which is a bit steep for my liking (yes, even after praising past PB games).

I'm still playing Dragons Dogma right now anyway.

Cosmic_Guru

Neo Member
Hey Cosmic Guru. :) Hope you are well. I'm really liking this so far. Enjoy the game my old partner in jank.

Hi Corleth. Hope you are well too. You know me, never miss a Euro RPG release! Busy filling my bottomless pockets with junk which will doubtless come in handy some time soon. I only wish for German voice acting option (I keep Witcher in Polish just to add to the fantasy world building)..

Just a heads up to any other GMG orderers, I emailed GMG and they said that the Publisher requested keys to be sent out once the game unlocks on Steam in an hour. Seems odd but okay!

kKxVhgO.png

Tempted, but I want to buy on PS4 and right now it's nearer £40 which is a bit steep for my liking (yes, even after praising past PB games).

Wrapping up Dragon's Dogma makes sense. After playing ELEX there is no going back.

TardisLover

Neo Member
kKxVhgO.png

£26.99 on C D Keys, they will e-mail it you in about a minute, very reliable seller FWIW

Krakn3Dfx

At least one of the trailers really seems to be aiming for a Fallout 4 vibe. Hopefully it's more like New Vegas, but I'm guessing it's more like neither.

Humdinger

WOW!!! Watched a 30 minute opening walkthrough and thought, not bad, I'll buy this when it hits $20 and I don't have anything to play for a month or so but jeez, this just ended my interest completely. Sorry but im not spending twenty hours (give or take) doing all of that just to upgrade a single skill. smh.

Yeah, that sounds pretty bad.

He didn't talk about exploring the world much. That would be the main draw, for me.

Humdinger

Put about 3 hours in so far, and I'm really digging it. It feels a lot like Risen 1 and less like 2 and 3.

Combat seems like It's the best PB had done to date.

Fantastic world building, and the jet pack is a great addition. It makes exploring the world a lot more compelling, finding all sorts of little hidden areas.

I'm playing on a Pro, and I'm pretty sure it's downsampling. Really smooth edges on everything (unfortunately it makes my fans pretty loud as well). The draw distance is pretty bad though... it fogs out too soon.

My only complaint so far is how shitty the map is. Scrolling it around is horrible... it pauses and hitches like it's running at 5-15 fps. And I really wish I could add my own notes.

Sounds good!

Keep the impressions coming!

I'm not quite sure what the reviewer is talking about. You can chose between dozens of skills and every time you level up, you get one ability point to get a new one. You find the trainers just by exploring the cities naturally and sometimes you can do a sidequest for them, but not everytime. They aren't hidden at all. I have no idea what he means when he says it takes "20 hours to get the first skill"? Maybe he means magic specifically?

Well, Magic for the Berserkers or Psi for the Clerics are systems you only get access to when you join one of the factions. That takes quite some time and is one of the main parts of the game - those systems are thus only unlocked later in the game, but there are still dozens of other skills and abilities, upgrading your crafting, lockpickingm dialogue options, endurance, attack power, combo finishers, strength against certain enemies etc. etc. Every time I leveled up I was struggling to pick one ability because there are so many quite useful ones. Even before you get access to these skills via the factions you can find one-time items everywhere in the world with which you can use quite a few Psi abilities though.

Yeah, that sounds pretty bad.

He didn't talk about exploring the world much. That would be the main draw, for me.
See above. It isn't 20 hours to get a single skill.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to quickly select quantity while buying/selling on PS4? I just bought a beer from the bar, and it made me hold left d-pad while it slowly counted down from 64 to 1 when inputting how much I wanted to buy.

Why would they assume you want all stock in the first place? Weird.

Rolf NB

That does it.

I demand that every thread, every last one in the world, about any Bethesda, Bioware
and Silicon Knights
game now be labeled in a)title and b)op as "Amerijank", "Australojank" or "Canadijank". At least one must be picked for addition, to be chosen freely. Suggestion: go by location of origin as it is at hand. But that's not the point. The point is one of these labels must be present by next week, on every related thread. This is not optional.

Audioboxer

That does it.

I demand that every thread, every last one in the world, about any Bethesda, Bioware
and Silicon Knights
game now be labeled in a)title and b)op as "Amerijank", "Australojank" or "Canadijank". At least one must be picked for addition, to be chosen freely. Suggestion: go by location of origin as it is at hand. But that's not the point. The point is one of these labels must be present by next week, on every related thread. This is not optional.

Blasphemy! It's Euro Jank and will always be so

JnJaAJp.png

Is Japan-jank a thing? smh

MrCinos

That does it.

and Silicon Knights

I know you are joking, but isn't "Eurojank" term used more in a positive way overall, at least within RPG genre? Which wouldn't be the case with your other suggestions. Or did I have the wrong impression about it?

EDIT: 30 min till I finish DLing it on Steam, can't wait!

Buckle

I know you are joking, but isn't "Eurojank" term used more in a positive way overall, at least within RPG genre? Which wouldn't be the case with your other suggestions. Or did I have the wrong impression about it?
A good portion of the time, I feel like it's used positively. Its always been a term of endearment for me.

Its not really anybody poking fun at European game development or anything, most of the games that it applies to have cult audiences that use the term and love them.

Just some ambitious big RPGs that tend to come out of the region on small budgets and small teams. They got heart and or charm but end up pretty rough around the edges.

Just some ambitious big RPGs that tend to come out of the region on small budgets and small teams. They got heart and or charm but end up pretty rough around the edges.

This is pretty much it for me, it's a positive in my mind as i've always enjoyed a small team punching above their weight. Some of the 'jank' also comes from the systems not evolving along AAA lines and having the same polish but again that's part of the draw for some of us.

3GB to go and my GoG download will be complete. Time for a coffee and some food then get settled in for the night. Hopefully...

Ragona

First hour played, feels like Gothic 2/3 in terms of gameplay and scope - I'm hooked!
Finally an open world again, didn't like the islands of Risen 2/3.
The interface is really, really bad though :|

First hour played, feels like Gothic 2/3 in terms of gameplay and scope - I'm hooked!
Finally an open world again, didn't like the islands of Risen 2/3.
The interface is really, really bad though :|
I think the interface is designed to work better with a controller, as I think it's fine on PS4.

Rolf NB

A good portion of the time, I feel like it's used positively. Its always been a term of endearment for me.

Its not really anybody poking fun at European game development or anything, most of the games that it applies to have cult audiences that use the term and love them.

I don't see the endearment, it's derision of an entire region of origin, and both the term and the implied and spelled out being "rough around the edges" kind of implies a point of reference exists above it that is not met BUT WHERE IS THAT.

We just went through an entire generation of Unreal Engine 3 gifting every single game its hallmark shit load times, horrendous DOF, garish tone mapping and a host of other typical fugly, tarnishing such a great volume and breadth of games consistently for years, and even so I never once heard the term North Carolina jank why not, would that be inappropriate?

But hey RPGs, contemporary ones?

Fallout 4's third-person animations are "rough around the edges" as hell, you just don't see them on your own character by default. Progression systems? Bugs? Beth can't even keep your own companions all staying in the game in a regular playthrough. And their base tech is unchanged in twenty years. So what exactly is keeping people from labeling their produce in a similar fashion, how is it not "jank", how is it not rough, would it be offensive or unsporting to say that?

Remember ME Andromeda's OT and the gifs it brought upon this world, it's not even worth going into detail, same thing again, no group label because we all love them so much despite themselves, reasons etc.

Larian, Obsidian, they make awesome games, are their animations and UI not rough?
Is any modern open world RPG not rough?
The only modern western RPG that pulls significantly in all obvious disciplines is The Witcher ... made in Poland, Europe, the continent of jank apparently.

Ragnaroz

Wasn't planning on getting it day 1, but my bank just refunded a payment that went awry last week and it was just a few euros short of ELEX, so I figured, what the hell. LUL

So we liking the gamepad more than m/kb? Will probably hook up pc to tv then.

For being mainly a PC games developer, PB's controls were always very un-PC-y.

The first two Gothic games were actually designed for keyboard-only controls, with pretty bad mouse support thrown in at the last second that you shouldn't really make use of tbh, so everything about the way those games controlled and how the interface worked would've been a perfect fit for controllers.

Hellers

Played about an hour on PC. Had the initial companion ai on the way to the first town fail completely once getting me killed. Happily autosaves are three minutes apart so no biggie.

It's janky, wobbly, weird and oddly broken but I think this one is going to be something special.

Now excuse me. There's a building over there I haven't looted clean of toilet paper and cigarettes.

I am still playing The Technomancer but to be honest I just want this to end because the backtracking is really really ruining it now. This is something I just know Elex won't be suffering from. Lack of variety when it comes to locations and fun quests. Technomancer is starting to drag now. I mostly got Elex on my mind now. I might buy it before One X release after all, haha.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Put in an hour and a half. I'm a major PB fan, so of course I'm already in love with it. My single biggest gripe so far: after saving your game, you can't hit B to back all the way out to resume playing hah.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do you ever get an opportunity to choose a skill needed conversation choice after the initial conversation?

I'm getting level 2 skill checks on regular conversations in the first town... there is no way anyone would have that level of skill at this point in the game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Put in an hour and a half. I'm a major PB fan, so of course I'm already in love with it. My single biggest gripe so far: after saving your game, you can't hit B to back all the way out to resume playing hah.

If you quicksaved using triangle, you can just press x once It's done as the "continue" option is highlighted.

Top Bottom