• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEX (Piranha Bytes) RPG releases October 17th on PS4, XB1 and PC

lcap

ELEX Cinematic Trailer

Watch the Cinematic Trailer for ELEX now! Moving to the beat of Benj Heard’s "Whatever Doesn’t Kill Me (Better Run)", the video sets up the road at the heart of the player's journey, as they walk the line between the many character progression and faction choices that lay ahead.

We finally got a Release Date for you. ELEX will be out on October 17, 2017 for PS4, Xbox One and Windows PC!

Want more? Last but not least, the Collector’s Edition for ELEX includes a 10-inch-high figurine of an Alb Mage, a 2-inch amulet in the form of a combat drone, a cloth map, showing the world of Magalan, the original score on CD plus artbook.

ELEX is an open-world action RPG, set in a post-apocalyptic Science-Fantasy universe! Coming to PC, PS4™ and Xbox One on October 17th, 2017!

A few screens of the game:

146.jpg

138.jpg

I personally love these kind of games, janky and all, so I'm really looking forward to it.

KOCMOHABT

I'd love to love another piranha bytes game, but the aesthetic is turning me off... this old magic and future mix is not appealing to me.

Ragona

Hah you beat me to it :)

Anyway as I said in the other thread, Iam really looking forward to it, but the release date is bad. Hope it isnt the nail in the coffin for Piranha Bytes.

Patryn

I want to like Piranha Bytes games, but the combat is always just so braindead and terrible.

Does this improve it like at all?

Piranha Bytes always makes games that offer plenty to do, plenty of content and most of the time a great atmosphere. Gothic I and II and Risen I and II had things that really kept me playing, despite its really really bad combat. This has always been one of the things that needed to be improved and yet they still haven't given that the attention it so badly needs.

But I might give it a chance nonetheless.

DPB

Piranha Bytes always makes games that offer plenty to do, plenty of content and most of the time a great atmosphere. Gothic I and II and Risen I and II had things that really kept me playing, despite its really really bad combat. This has always been one of the things that needed to be improved and yet they still haven't given that the attention it so badly needs.

I don't think they know how to balance a game. Most of their games start off incredibly difficult, but level a few of the right skills and you find that you've accidentally become an invincible demigod.

I'll still be buying it though, as they do exploration better than any other RPG developer.

Jotthah

Please tell me there's a character creator, it's one of the most fun aspects to a RPG.

I'm sad to inform you, that there wont be.
Piranha Bytes are fans of set characters without names.

Infos and Facts about the Game were postet in another Thread, but because Elex probably isn't all that high on GAFs radar here they are again:

• The same in-house engine used by Piranha Bytes since Risen 1, updated to the present technology (i.e. DX11).

Gameplay information
• The new game will have a happier/more satisfactory ending than Risen 3.
• The game will be structured into chapters.
• Playing with a party of NPCs will be optional as a rule.
• Different kinds of environment, though the diversity of which remains be seen.
• The player will interact with at least one non-human species
• Apparently there will be a big unitary landmass rather than a fragmented map
• The game will feature relatively small settlements, none the size of Khorinis (Gothic 2), but larger than the mage settlement in Risen 3.
• There will be no ships.
• The climbing will again be scripted. (only when button prombed - but you have a jetpack on you at all times)
• Eating and drinking animations are confirmed and can be interrupted by attacks
• It is hinted/a possibility that the inventory will hold different foods and beverages instead of joining them into the generic "Provisions".
• There will be swimming but no diving
• There will be no Quick Time Events!
• The inventory will again be unlimited.
• More NPCs will be killable in the new project, not just quest-related kills.
• There will be teachers and a crafting system which allows the player to craft more than just weapons
• There will be different factions granting special abilities and weapon skills upon joining them
• The hero will be able to sleep.
• The inventory will be redesigned
• There will be difficulty level from which the player can choose.

Really looking forward to Elex. Hope the english VO don't suck as much as those in the trailer.

Here are 3 hours of Gameplay from the beginning of the game.
The Videos are with a german Youtuber (Gronkh) and the Director/Composer/allaround man for everything in the game, Jörg Pankratz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znOieSu_PRI

Some Nobody

I'm sad to inform you, that there wont be.
Piranha Bytes are fans of set characters without names.

Infos and Facts about the Game were postet in another Thread, but because Elex probably isn't all that high on GAFs radar here they are again:

Really looking forward to Elex. Hope the english VO don't suck as much as those in the trailer.

Here are 3 hours of Gameplay from the beginning of the game.
The Videos are with a german Youtuber (Gronkh) and the Director/Composer/allaround man for everything in the game, Jörg Pankratz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znOieSu_PRI

A set character...with no name? That sounds like the worst of both worlds. If I'm playing a set character I should know EXACTLY who he is, thats why he's set. :p

I don't think they know how to balance a game. Most of their games start off incredibly difficult, but level a few of the right skills and you find that you've accidentally become an invincible demigod.

I'll still be buying it though, as they do exploration better than any other RPG developer.

Exactly, they do exploration really well and their worlds are always nicely detailed. To me this looks a whole lot better than Mass Effect Andromeda in terms of game world.

More recent gameplay here

https://youtu.be/APkV77OOfeA

MadSexual

I'll be honest, this game could just be a reskin of Gothic 3 and I'd still play and love every second of it. PB will never change their ways, and bless them for that.

I want to like Piranha Bytes games, but the combat is always just so braindead and terrible.

Does this improve it like at all?

The only game where the combat is terrible is Gothic 3 and Risen 2. In particular Gothi 1 and 2 have excelent combat. Its much more than it first apears. Time based combat around the enemy reactions and atacks, that evolves with new moves and speed and strength as you improve at trainers. Those embarassing videos of angry joe and risen 3 are all him, thats not the game. Combat like in Gothic 1 would be a thing to hope for.

The only game where the combat is terrible is Gothic 3 and Risen 2. In particular Gothi 1 and 2 have excelent combat. Its much more than it first apears. Time based combat around the enemy reactions and atacks, that evolves with new moves and speed and strength as you improve at trainers. Those embarassing videos of angry joe and risen 3 are all him, thats not the game. Combat like in Gothic 1 would be a thing to hope for.

Playing Risen 3 now and the "melee" combat is horrible but once you go full mage you destroy everything.

Playing Risen 3 now and the "melee" combat is horrible but once you go full mage you destroy everything.

Its far from bad. Its also timed based, its not a spam hack n slash. Once you learn the skill thats speeds up the strikes, you introduce another strike into the combos and you time your strikes so as to chain a nice combo of hits, its fairly ok. Like i said, the combat in these games is more than it apears. Its may seem shitty at first because you need to learn a lot of things, from trainers

Its far from bad. Its also timed based, its not a spam hack n slash. Once you learn the skill thats speeds up the strikes, you introduce another strike into the combos and you time your strikes so as to chain a nice combo of hits, its fairly ok. Like i said, the combat in these games is more than it apears. Its may seem shitty at first because you need to learn a lot of things, from trainers

That is probably true, the first 4 hours of the game are not fun to play but once you get all the combos or go mage (as I did) it is quite enjoyable. Either way I will be getting ELEX day one for the exploration.

Looks a bit shit but so did Gothic 1, 2 and Risen and I loved those. I'm not sure if I'll tolerate jank and shit combat to that extent again though, particularly not in 2017. I tried Risen 3 a few days ago and the combat was further away in quality from Witcher 3, than Witcher 3 from a Platinum game.

That waist-clothing thingy animation kinda looks glorious.

Combat is meh as usual, and ranged combat is even worse. He's just standing there without minimum reaction when shooting that big gun.

Jotthah

That waist-clothing thingy animation kinda looks glorious.

Combat is meh as usual, and ranged combat is even worse. He's just standing there without minimum reaction when shooting that big gun.

In one of the gameplay videos the PC stuns an enemy with a magic/electric rifle and the enemy just stops dead in is tracks without any kind of animation.
For a second I thought the AI was bugging out.

But those things kind of are the price you pay if you play Piranha Bytes games, to get that sweet sweet Ruhrpott feeling.

Top Bottom