• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEX - Sci-Fi ARPG for PC/PS4/XB1 - by Nordic Games Piranha Bytes, Gamescom reveal

ELEX — which is an acronym for "eclectic, lavish, exhilarating, xenial" — takes place in a "post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that puts players into a huge, seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action," according to a press release from Nordic. The word xenial describes hospitality, or a cordial relationship between a host and guest.

ELEX is going to be edgy, dark, uncompromising, complex, and we love it already

Pollice added that Piranha Bytes will exhibit ELEX at Gamescom 2015 next month.

ELEX is in development on Windows PC and "current gen console platforms," according to Nordic Games. Asked for clarification, a Nordic Games representative told Polygon that Piranha Bytes is "targeting" PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. ELEX is scheduled to be released next winter — late 2016 or early 2017.

Polygon

logo.png

http://www.elexgame.com/

BY2K

Membero Americo
Will be at Gamescom.

http://elexgame.com/

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/2/8880675/elex-piranha-bytes-

Risen developer Piranha Bytes' new project is ELEX, an open-world action role-playing game, the studio and publisher Nordic Games announced today.

ELEX — which is an acronym for "eclectic, lavish, exhilarating, xenial" — takes place in a "post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that puts players into a huge, seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action," according to a press release from Nordic. The word xenial describes hospitality, or a cordial relationship between a host and guest.

"ELEX is going to be edgy, dark, uncompromising, complex, and we love it already," said Reinhard Pollice, business and product development director at Nordic Games. While details are scarce at this point, Pollice added that Piranha Bytes will exhibit ELEX at Gamescom 2015 next month.

ELEX is in development on Windows PC and "current gen console platforms," according to Nordic Games. Asked for clarification, a Nordic Games representative told Polygon that Piranha Bytes is "targeting" PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. ELEX is scheduled to be released next winter — late 2016 or early 2017.

Ogimachi

ELEX — which is an acronym for "eclectic, lavish, exhilarating, xenial" — takes place in a "post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that puts players into a huge,
[...]

"ELEX is going to be edgy, dark, uncompromising, complex, and we love it already

This could go anywhere from "dark and edgy" sci-fi Risen to an actual good game. I'm betting on the former for now, considering how they're trying to sell it already.

h#shdem0n

Polygon said:
"post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that puts players into a huge, seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action,"
"ELEX is going to be edgy, dark, uncompromising, complex, and we love it already,"

Not the most intriguing description. Sounds like a boring Fallout ripoff. I'd like to be wrong, though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ELEX — which is an acronym for "eclectic, lavish, exhilarating, xenial"
ELEX is going to be edgy, dark, uncompromising, complex
Fill this space with an air jerking or Jennifer Lawrence okay gif.

Piranha Bytes do have it within themselves to make fantastic games. Gothic 2 and Risen 1 pertain to that.

I'm a fan, I won't lie. I've still got a lot of pleasure out of their lesser games. I'm quite excited about the Risen 3 Enhanced Version next month for example.

So this is great news. We knew they were working on something, and it's very pleasant that it's something new. I think they needed to step away from their old style of games. Maybe it will help them find their mojo again?

I'm not sure Piranha Bytes can pull off a great game again.
They didn't make much progress after Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven.

Sendero

Nice, was wondering what would be their next title.

It will be a hard sale for them, now that everyone and their mother are creating Open world games, but while their Risen series hasn't been as good as Gothic's, their games still have a certain unique charm that I fancy. And more Science fiction RPGs are always welcomed.

Hope they improve on QA. Their games tend to be full of bugs.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm not sure Piranha Bytes can pull off a great game again.
They didn't make much progress after Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven.

That's unfortunately very true. The first Risen was very very close though. I feel like old gen consoles were partially responsible for Risen 2 and 3 being mediocre.

Kasper

I like Piranha Bytes, but that name is as awful and lame as it gets. I'm looking forward to many hours of great Eurojank.

El Topo

You're just listing horrible games next to better ones!

I think calling the Elder Scrolls games horrible is a bit much. I've played a lot of Morrowind again lately and while it has enormous flaws and boring (quest/world) design, it's far from horrible.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I have no hope for PB and Gothic I and II have been one of my favourite games ever.
I feel like they're focus in their projects have not been compatible with their team size. And the things they put focus were just things were the competition was super high and fierce so they never looked favourably compared to what else was out there.

I hope they prove me wrong though, I want to love their games again.

Gothos

Their last good game was in 2009 - the first Risen - so yeah, not really excited about this one, tbh. We'll see what they show on Gaemscom.

What if it's a science fiction souls like. They claim its uncompromising. that blurry screen shot someone posted looks kinda like souls games.

Sendero

The Gothic games have always felt like lesser Elder Scroll games to me and now this sounds like Fallout lol.
The enemy AI and the day-to-day scheduler of Gothic 2 was years ahead of Morrowind and Oblivion. Not to mention the "open nature" of the quests and how to accomplish them.

It was pretty entertaining hear Bethesda (years later) talk about their "Radiant IA", like it was a unique and huge accomplishment. Sort of like Apple.

Mentok

Banned
The logo looks very similar to the Halo CE logo.

Hope they show gameplay footage at Gamescom, and not just a trailer.

Top Bottom