• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi2016

Plus they're plenty big enough to resize them, crop them, and if you like to do any tweaking in Photoshop or whatever.

1CN2wg9.jpg

Jedi2016

So apparently killing Emperor's Dawn gets you a lot of points with the Empire.. I've had two Imperial Rank Progression missions in two days. Oddly enough, both missions were actually for Emperor's Dawn, the same people I've been mercilessly slaughtering for the last few days.

So, apparently I'm a Baron now, which will let me buy a Clipper. Yay or nay? I was saving up for an FDL. What's the comparison in terms of pure combat? The Clipper does have a hell of a lot more cargo space, though, even if it's otherwise fully kitted for combat.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Plus they're plenty big enough to resize them, crop them, and if you like to do any tweaking in Photoshop or whatever.

1CN2wg9.jpg

What station is that Jedi? I've never seen one with palm trees in it before...o_O

Hylian7

What station is that Jedi? I've never seen one with palm trees in it before...o_O
Those are somewhat rare, but there are stations that look like that, with white floors and the holograms on the landing pads are red. I remember I was really thrown for a loop the first time I saw one.

Jedi2016

They're usually found in the wealthy systems. And yes, they're very nice.. shiny new paint jobs, even the hangar bays are painted white, everything's well lit and clean, palm trees, the works. That particular one is M. Gorbachev, in orbit of Earth. It's my "home base", I have four ships there right now. I believe Galileo in the Moon's orbit is also one of these "wealthy" stations.

I tried out the Federal Assault Ship this morning. It's.. okay. Very high armor, but very poor shields. Against small and mid-sized ships, the armor is plenty.. even if your shields go down, they can't really hurt you (especially as I had the military composite armor upgrade). Against an Anaconda and his three buddies... yeah, I had to bug out with about 13% hull and a giant hole in my canopy. Weapons are great, it packs more punch than the Vulture, but the hardpoint placement (three of them are on the bottom) makes it hard to keep all four weapons going when you're maneuvering in a dogfight.

So I traded it in and went ahead and bought the FDL. I did a few things to it, then ran out of money... I need around another 30M or so to finish the upgrades, which sadly includes the shields and the plasma accelerator, so it's not quite ready to see combat yet. Need to find some good hunting grounds to make some cash with bounties, in the next day or so.. hehe. I'll be in my Asp for a while after that, landing on stuff and driving around. :)

RedSwirl

So usually I've been avoiding M-class star systems in my exploration runs, only trying to find F, G, and K, but in my run right after getting the Detailed Surface Scanner I couldn't avoid it and tried one out. Turned out to have a water world orbiting it. Do explorers generally find M-class systems worthwhile? I'm thinking of trying them now since I still only have the basic discovery scanner, and any good planets in an M-class system are more likely to be well within its range.

Mengy

I just outfitted my Python for mining and spent some time mining for the first time. I liked it quite a bit.

I use a Clipper as my mining ship and since the prospector changes I love it a lot now. It can earn decent credits too, especially if you get a bunch of mining missions. I'll probably get to Elite Trading rank simply by mining, lol.

Jedi2016

I use a Clipper as my mining ship and since the prospector changes I love it a lot now. It can earn decent credits too, especially if you get a bunch of mining missions. I'll probably get to Elite Trading rank simply by mining, lol.
How common are the mining missions? I've thought about giving mining a whirl, but I don't have a ship for it yet. Just looking at the numbers, i.e. filling up a hold of X tons with palladium and selling it at market value, it only comes to a couple million per run, and how many hours of mining to fill up a Type-9? I'm not knocking it, it's just I'm at the point where I have a ship that can take on Pythons and Clippers at extraction sites and make a couple mil in about an hour. As therapeutic as mining might be (I really do want to try it, just for that), I just don't see it being competitive against bounty hunting in terms of credits/hour.

Mengy

How common are the mining missions? I've thought about giving mining a whirl, but I don't have a ship for it yet. Just looking at the numbers, i.e. filling up a hold of X tons with palladium and selling it at market value, it only comes to a couple million per run, and how many hours of mining to fill up a Type-9? I'm not knocking it, it's just I'm at the point where I have a ship that can take on Pythons and Clippers at extraction sites and make a couple mil in about an hour. As therapeutic as mining might be (I really do want to try it, just for that), I just don't see it being competitive against bounty hunting in terms of credits/hour.

Oh it's not competitive with combat, but you can easily make a couple million per hour with any ship that can hold ~180T or more. FDev loves combat and prefers it, so I don't think that anything in game will ever compete with the credits per hour that fighting can get you.

I'm just simply not interested in how I can make the most money in game, I'd rather play for fun, like mining and exploring, and a bit of fighting from time to time too.

Aselith

With collector limpets, I don't think it would take very long at all but I'm not in a large ship so idk. You'll want prospector limpets to find the good sites also. I usually target Painite/Platinum/Palladium/Osmium in that order when I go out and everything else goes out the poopshoot.

So yeah, I've gone WAY off the deep end with this game. I really liked it when it launched but fell off cause dogfights (which are my favorite part of the game) were nowhere near the most efficient way to make money. Now that so much has changed I went from using a PAD to a HOTAS to breaking out my driving wheel to use the pedals in conjunction with it, (which allowed me to change the forwards and backwards thrust to the pedals and use the throttle for vertical movement) to finding a great free piece of software to give my webcam TrackIR like functionality.

Now I want to try to find a decent flight stick to use in my left hand instead of the throttle, but most everything is ergo'd for right hand only.

Burny

Didn't they say a nebulous "next week" last week? If anything, I would guess not tomorrow.

They were rather specific about the "early access" release on the 15th.

Early access as in: "We didn't manage to fix everything we wanted to, but we really want to release it now, so let's just do it." That's at least my interpretation. ;)

SmartBase

Early access as in: "We didn't manage to fix everything we wanted to, but we really want to release it now, so let's just do it." That's at least my interpretation. ;)

It's pretty much the same as the 1.0 release, barely there and just in time for Christmas sales. I'm just curious as to exactly when I can get it as it's likely to be Wednesday for me.

Hylian7

Oh, well never mind then.

I still think it'll be delayed to Tuesday, unless they really are 100% serious with that. You know how these things turn out.

Burny

Oh, well never mind then.

I still think it'll be delayed to Tuesday, unless they really are 100% serious with that. You know how these things turn out.

It could be delayed, but that would probably require them to find some deal-breaking issues.
All going well, we plan to launch Horizons with Planetary Landings on Tuesday (15th December – you heard it here first!). This will initially be termed an ‘Early Access’ release to highlight our normal process to our broad audience, some of whom have been with us since the start, but many have joined our community very recently.

Apart from all the smaller niggles - which don't really prevent people form playing, even in the beta - tomorrow seems likely.

When we'll be able to get on the servers due to the rush is another question. The Horizons beta client didn't download for me the first four days after release, due to the data being delivered one byte and pigeon at a time. Something on the internet between the server providing the files and me was seriously broken - and it wasn't at my side. :p

Hylian7

It could be delayed, but that would probably require them to find some deal-breaking issues.

Apart from all the smaller niggles - which don't really prevent people form playing, even in the beta - tomorrow seems likely.

When we'll be able to get on the servers due to the rush is another question. The Horizons beta client didn't download for me the first four days after release, due to the data being delivered one byte and pigeon at a time. Something on the internet between the server providing the files and me was seriously broken - and it wasn't at my side. :p

What makes you say tomorrow then? I would think they would keep their release date of Tuesday.

Also have we ever gotten confirmation that people playing the 64-bit version will be able to play with people on the 32-bit version (base Elite obviously).

Burny

What makes you say tomorrow then?
Now you're confusing me. Tomorrow it will be released if everything goes as planned, because tomorrow is Tuesday 15th.

Also have we ever gotten confirmation that people playing the 64-bit version will be able to play with people on the 32-bit version (base Elite obviously).
For one, DB confirms backward compatibility in the announcement I linked above. But it has been confirmed when Horizons was announced iirc.

Hylian7

Now you're confusing me. Tomorrow it will be released if everything goes as planned, because tomorrow is Tuesday 15th.

For one, DB confirms backward compatibility in the announcement I linked above. But it has been confirmed when Horizons was announced iirc.

Good to know it's compatible.

My bad, it's late (and technically the 14th) in the US and I consider "tomorrow" after I wake up.

Reckheim

So I took a break the last 4-5 days, ready to start again discover everything again. YEah!

I took a 3 month break, gonna fire up the game today and make sure all my ships are ready to go for tomorrow. I'm assuming there is no set time for the release just the date?

Burny

Will there be the 64 bit Horizons client as well as the 32 bit 1.5 client - both remaining separate?

If that were to be the case, I imagine they have to keep two clients updated e.g. when they introduce crafting, that apparently shall also be available to non Horizons players in some capacity. I'd have thought that having all players with one client that implements "paywalls" for Horizons content was an easier solution than to maintain two clients.

Mengy

Aw that's a slick new startup screen!

Can't wait for the new OT. I'm honestly very excited for Horizons, although I most likely won't get to play until Wednesday due to my slow ass ISP downloading the huge update so slowly. I'm ready to roam around some strange new worlds.

Wreav

Banned
That's a great view. But it's probably going to be similarily aggressively compressed as the previous start screen. There, the black areas are full of terrible compression artifacts, which would almost have me prefer a completely static image. >.<

RamonaBuzzkill.gif

I have to travel to Baltimore tomorrow morning and won't be back until thursday evening and then I have to drive back to Baltimore Saturday just for a damn company Christmas party, only to drive back home that night. Not going to get much time with Horizons launch week.

If any of you have your own screenshots that you're proud of, feel free to share a few--should be able to integrate them into headers/logos for the OT.

Wreav

Banned
I have to travel to Baltimore tomorrow morning and won't be back until thursday evening and then I have to drive back to Baltimore Saturday just for a damn company Christmas party, only to drive back home that night. Not going to get much time with Horizons launch week.

This all assumes you survive Baltimore.

void666

Banned
I'm a little lost here guys. I purchased the horizons dlc through their shop. I have the main game on steam. Do i need to do something else or am i good to go when the dlc gets released?

Burny

cilonen

Does anyone know if this is going live at midnight GMT or could it be any time tomorrow?

I can't find an answer to this one through usual channels (Reddit, frontier forums).

Arkanius

Is the OP updated with the best HOTAS for price range?
I'm thinking of acquiring one for this game, it will be my first so I'm not sure I want to spend much, but I don't want to get something that might sour me on this control method.

What's your recommendation Eliters?

Serrato

If any of you have your own screenshots that you're proud of, feel free to share a few--should be able to integrate them into headers/logos for the OT.

Is the OP updated with the best HOTAS for price range?
I'm thinking of acquiring one for this game, it will be my first so I'm not sure I want to spend much, but I don't want to get something that might sour me on this control method.

What's your recommendation Eliters?

T-Flight Hotas-X. About 50$ for the best low-tier HOTAS you can get.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's even on sales right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom