• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the OP updated with the best HOTAS for price range?
I'm thinking of acquiring one for this game, it will be my first so I'm not sure I want to spend much, but I don't want to get something that might sour me on this control method.

What's your recommendation Eliters?

I've heard nothing but praise for the Thrustmaster T16000M stick. It's not a full stick and throttle but some people actually buy 2 and use duals sticks instead of a throttle. I've actually been curious to try that.

Burny

Is the OP updated with the best HOTAS for price range?
I'm thinking of acquiring one for this game, it will be my first so I'm not sure I want to spend much, but I don't want to get something that might sour me on this control method.

What's your recommendation Eliters?

As I said in the 100Mio$ thread today, I'd recommend to either go with the Thrustmaster HOTAS X as a cheap option or to go all in. The latter pretty much narrows your selection down to the CH Products Stick/Throttle or the Thrustmaster Warthog. Although the former's throttle is far preferrable due to the mini stick. Either of the expensive options lack a twist axis on the stick, so you will likely also be looking at a set of pedals.

After having the X52 Pro for a while, my advise would be to not bother with it or any other HOTAS in a similar price range. Poor firmware/drivers and far too cheaply build and poorly designed (many small niggles) to justify the price.

Just keep in mind however, that you can practically play just as well with mouse & keyboard. The only exception might be playing using flight assist off, if you're going to attempt that. With that exception, the learning curve and skill ceiling should be very close.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If any of you have your own screenshots that you're proud of, feel free to share a few--should be able to integrate them into headers/logos for the OT.

Anything in particular you are looking for Anton?

Here's a couple of my favorites that I took, feel free to use any of them:

anpYdcz.png

pLsmyVj.png

2qh1QgT.png

LD8vbDc.png

03cMhru.png

OTc5wIH.png

fqQ74kH.png

0KZcfGW.png

5CtoFa9.png

TZPubje.png

vddSqfX.png

d8ABsKr.png

U0V3luc.png

5YuYT1d.png

OuBVmZY.png

Burny

Totally disagree about the X52 Pro, but maybe I just got a good unit.

Mine was fine too, from a functional pov.

But it felt still cheap with rubberized surfaces destined to wear off after extensive use, buttons felt partly flimsy (not cool for an optional 175€ assecory), had a weird slave-master design of throttle and stick, had to be configured both in windows and in the ugly, not very functional profiler software from Saitek before the game would recognize all buttons, would have to reload the profile on every windows boot (didn't want to put it into autostart), had a useless display as well as useless wheels and nobs on the throttle (mouse nub? Why not a mini-stick? Why bloody wheels and buttons just to control the useless display?), has idiotically placed switches on the joystick's base when those belong on the throttle's base where the display is.

Wasn't there also a Win 10 driver debacle with the Saitek sticks until recently?

Edit: forgot to mention the "indents" on the throttle's travel at 25% and 75%, which can apparently be easily modded away, but are rather useless for space sims in the first place.

Saitek X52 and X52 pro are likely the most popular HOTAS models available now because they occupy a sweet spot in the price range. Build quality has been a potential issue for Saitek sticks so there is a non-insignificant chance they you will need to RMA your stick. I own an X55, I love what it adds to the game, I love the layout and all the buttons and switches, however I did need to RMA the unit once because the twist axis started to stick. The RMA experience was pretty good. I was without the stick for 4-5 days only. It's certainly a trade off because X52/x52 Pro and X55 have more buttons and axises than you will find on any HOTAS cheaper but aren't built as solid as the more expensive CH Products or the big daddy Thrustmaster Warthog.

I definitely wouldn't say they aren't worth the money because my HOTAS changed the game for me from an interesting space sim to an obsession. It's just important to be aware of what you may need to deal with.

Effect

Seriously considering picking up a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick but not sure how much of an upgrade it will be. I'm currently using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick and a keyboard combination. So with the keyboard I have a lot of buttons that are mapped by default. Speed, flight assist, targeting (combined with the joystick), etc is of course controlled by the keyboard keys. Went with the above model as I don't want to jump into something expensive just in case I don't like the experience.

I'm assuming there aren't enough button combinations for this to replace the keyboard right? Or are there?

Does the experience make up for the loss for all those keys?

Or would something like Tracker IR be a more worthwhile investment?

Arkanius

As I said in the 100Mio$ thread today, I'd recommend to either go with the Thrustmaster HOTAS X as a cheap option or to go all in. The latter pretty much narrows your selection down to the CH Products Stick/Throttle or the Thrustmaster Warthog. Although the former's throttle is far preferrable due to the mini stick. Either of the expensive options lack a twist axis on the stick, so you will likely also be looking at a set of pedals.

After having the X52 Pro for a while, my advise would be to not bother with it or any other HOTAS in a similar price range. Poor firmware/drivers and far too cheaply build and poorly designed (many small niggles) to justify the price.

Just keep in mind however, that you can practically play just as well with mouse & keyboard. The only exception might be playing using flight assist off, if you're going to attempt that. With that exception, the learning curve and skill ceiling should be very close.

And the quality of the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, is it ok? Or will it feel extremely cheap?

Burny

And the quality of the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, is it ok? Or will it feel extremely cheap?

Never held one myself. But it's 45€ over here while the X52 Pro is 150€+ (more when I got it).

Price has a lot of influence on the perception of something. It's hard to be disappointed for 45€ when there are outstanding players using the Hotas X (look up Isinona on Youtube). Even if it were to have smaller issues, you'd very likely overlook them more easily, than when paying 175€ and facing a host of smaller issues, the product feeling cheap included. At 100€, I'd say the X52 Pro is great value, but it cost nearly twice that much this time last year.

Seriously considering picking up a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick but not sure how much of an upgrade it will be. I'm currently using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick and a keyboard combination. So with the keyboard I have a lot of buttons that are mapped by default. Speed, flight assist, targeting (combined with the joystick), etc is of course controlled by the keyboard keys. Went with the above model as I don't want to jump into something expensive just in case I don't like the experience.

I'm assuming there aren't enough button combinations for this to replace the keyboard right? Or are there?

Buttons shouldn't be an issue. You can even keep using the keyboard alongside the HOTAS for the less used functions. A modifier button or two will get net you a lot more buttons than you'd think however. Assign one HAT direction to "Next target", Add a modifier button and you have "Previous target" assigned on the same button as well.

There are a couple of things I would also recommedn looking into. For one: Voice Attack! It's a great tool to do simple macros (e.g. request docking) with voice commands or to activate non-time critical functions when your hands are occupied taming your HOTAS. ;-)

In general, I would recommend TrackIR, or rather, the much cheaper but no less effective option - EDTracker ("Pro", if you don't want to build one yourself). Only disadvantage: The calibration is a bit more involved. Advantage: It doesn't require a camera and is potentially more living room compatible if you don't mind looking like a Teletubby, strapping it on your headset.

If you've got a Joystick already and can live with the Joystick/keyboard combination, I'd even recommend headtracking over a HOTAS.

Did we decide on a Horizons OT title?

I still have no idea how to move around.

Exact same controls as your ship.

It's annoying, for sure, BUT it also allows for some pretty cinematic camera moves if you know how to use it (see: ObsidianAnt). Hope they update it at some point.

Hylian7

I wish the external camera wasn't such a pain in the ass to use

Yeah, if it didn't move so slow and kept the camera angle you were at last time, that would make it so much better. So many times I've wanted to see what hitting boost looks like on my ship, but I can't because the camera doesn't move fast enough.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
When will the expansion be on Steam?

No one knows for sure, just tomorrow sometime.

Did we decide on a Horizons OT title?

There were some ideas but no consensus. I guess it's up to you!

Elite Dangerous: Horizons [OT] Just scratching the surface....

Elite Dangerous: Horizons [OT] To boldly roam where no buggy has roamed before

Elite Dangerous: Horizons [OT] No man's planetary surface

Elite Dangerous: Horizons [OT] Now with 4 trillion planets to land on!

Effect

Buttons shouldn't be an issue. You can even keep using the keyboard alongside the HOTAS for the less used functions. A modifier button or two will get net you a lot more buttons than you'd think however. Assign one HAT direction to "Next target", Add a modifier button and you have "Previous target" assigned on the same button as well.

There are a couple of things I would also recommedn looking into. For one: Voice Attack! It's a great tool to do simple macros (e.g. request docking) with voice commands or to activate non-time critical functions when your hands are occupied taming your HOTAS. ;-)

In general, I would recommend TrackIR, or rather, the much cheaper but no less effective option - EDTracker ("Pro", if you don't want to build one yourself). Only disadvantage: The calibration is a bit more involved. Advantage: It doesn't require a camera and is potentially more living room compatible if you don't mind looking like a Teletubby, strapping it on your headset.

If you've got a Joystick already and can live with the Joystick/keyboard combination, I'd even recommend headtracking over a HOTAS.

Voice attack was one of things I was also looking into and might buy tonight to mess around with it.

I'm actually okay with the joystick and keyboard combination. I'd honestly rather spend the money on a racing wheel if I have to decide between one and a hotas at this point. Once and if my joystick breaks though then I could make the change.

TrackerIR has always been one thing I wanted but the price has always stopped me.

Thanks!

Edit:

So Horizons is suppose to go live midnight UK time right?

Did they say if the game will just patch itself if you have the expansion or will we have to head to the website to download something?

They seemed to imply that you would be able to create a Horizons steam key for your account when Horizons becomes available on Steam. That makes the most sense for them anyway. It removes the barriers for those who will not buy if they can't play on Steam from pre-ordering from their store.

Wreav

Banned
Here's a list of the suggest OT titles from earlier in the thread (I would think no NMS jokes/references since it will likely release during OT2's lifetime):

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Buggier than ever

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| To boldly drive where no commander has driven before

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| How did these rocket engines get on my Buggy?

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Who wants to go racing in moon canyons?

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Touchdown

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Planetary parking lots and valets

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Coarse, rough, irritating sand, and it's everywhere!

I also feel like we could come up with something timely for TFA, but can't think of much.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| It’ll be just like Beggar’s Canyon back home!

Otherwise, I'm down for whatever GAF's consensus is. I'd rather the group help pick it, not just me.

So I did a little more bounty hunting, up until now I've spent about a total of 20 mins in ship combat in the beta. I saw 3 things of concern.

1. I saw a ship spin in place, it was for far less time than I typically saw in 1.4 but it was reminiscent.
  2. I saw a Federal Assault Ship smash into an asteroid for no good reason.
  3. They changed the visual and sound of the cannon round impact. It looks better but sounds worse to me.

Burny

Y'all take OT names too seriously. They should be fun and whimsical, not accurate or appropriate.

"Just scratching the surface" is poking fun at the game in a way. Horizons - at least planetary landings at the beginning - won't be much deeper than that. ;-)

Or you could go crazy like i did and get the HotasX + any driving wheel you have laying around and use all 3! Using 2 modifier keys you have more inputs buttons than things to bind them to. Shit is super fun, the gas and brake pedals are forward and backwards throttle, the clutch pedal is flight assist off set to hold, pitch/roll/yaw are on the right stick, thrust up/down/left/right are on the left stick.

void666

Banned

Burny

Thank you.

I installed the launcher. But it's downloading something big. Is it the dlc or is it downloading the whole game again? Oh well, whatever. Have plenty of space.
I think the Horizons client isn't available, yet? Could it be that you're downloading the base game again or the Horizons beta client?

No, you need to download the Horizons launcher from their store tomorrow. Then you should be fine. Just add the launcher as external app in Steam, if you would like to use the Steam overlay. You'll be able to generate a Steam key, once Horizons comes to Steam.

That is very disappointing. The reason I want the game on STEAM is to track playtime, screenshots, etc...

The fact they are unwilling to launch the game same day/date is just petty. The fact that I can open the STEAM folder and launch the EXACT SAME FUCKING EXE and get Horizon's just shows they are going out of their way to not let Horizon's show in the launcher launched via STEAM.

Aselith

That is very disappointing. The reason I want the game on STEAM is to track playtime, screenshots, etc...

The fact they are unwilling to launch the game same day/date is just petty. The fact that I can open the STEAM folder and launch the EXACT SAME FUCKING EXE and get Horizon's just shows they are going out of their way to not let Horizon's show in the launcher launched via STEAM.

It's not petty, it's good business. They're not losing the 30% by selling it on Steam then they'll add it to Steam when sales slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom