• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Horizons (PLANETARY LANDINGS) out 12/15 - preorders play Elite NOW + trailer

Serrato

How many landable areas are there?

I think it's something in the Trillion of Planetoids we can land on.

(Just to put in perspective, 400 billion star systems, many of them have dozens of planets and moons and whatnot, 70% of which have no atmosphere which is the type we can land on)

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think it's something in the Trillion of Planetoids we can land on.

(Just to put in perspective, 400 billion star systems, many of them have dozens of planets and moons and whatnot, 70% of which have no atmosphere which is the type we can land on)

Woah didnt realize they took the full procedural approach here. Really hope they start inventing ways to make the planets interesting.

I'm wondering if I should stop waiting for No Man's Sky and just jump into this game while I wait for Star Citizen?

Hmm....

Looks like a solid space sim.

JambiBum

So I have the Planetary Approach Suite installed but where do I find SRV's?

They are another module in the internal compartments called vehicle hangar or something like that. The suite is for the new hud elements to help you land.

Hylian, come on man. Not only do you make a mess of this thread with your reactions, but you also went and did it in the thread with users reporting the issue and providing info on the frontier forums. I wasn't even looking for a post from you, I was just going through threads looking at issues people were having and saw you shit posting there too. Go relax or something please.

ObsidianAnt has his first Horizons vid out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf1mE2MNF5Q

Great, as always.

Woah didnt realize they took the full procedural approach here. Really hope they start inventing ways to make the planets interesting.

So each planet is procedurally generated, but they're dictated by geographic "rules"--they simulate tectonic plate activity for all planets, which determine formation of planetary features. They also have a way to identify interesting formations/terrain and try to place stations and points of interest within a reasonable distance of those formations, too.

There are also a bunch of "points of interest" that can be found on planets. These range from settlements (surface stations/ports, pirate bases, mining colonies, prisons, etc.) to metal deposits to shipwrecks and distress beacons.

JambiBum

Does the Lifetime pass get you beta access? I don't see it for download.

Yes, are you using the steam launcher or the one from FD? Beta is only in the launcher from FD, if you don't have it then download it from their store and let it sync your game files then it should show up to download.

I think I'll finally jump in to this game once they add the ability to land in atmospheres. Driving around a barren space desert sounds like it would only be fun for a few minutes.

screenshot_0001n1x6t.png
I like the PSO Pioneer 2 vibes I'm getting from this shot, can you actually walk around outside of your vehicle here?

Mik2121

Can't wait to go home and try this out. I will have to go back to an older version of the Oculus Rift DK2, because I really need to see this in VR.

I think I'll finally jump in to this game once they add the ability to land in atmospheres. Driving around a barren space desert sounds like it would only be fun for a few minutes.

I like the PSO Pioneer 2 vibes I'm getting from this shot, can you actually walk around outside of your vehicle here?

No, no walking outside yet. They're starting to lay the groundwork for having a "body" (multicrew ships are coming in Horizons) and it will eventually be a full-fledged aspect of the game. FPS, extra-vehicular activities, big-game hunting on alien planets, etc.

Also, read my post above if you're worried about things to do--seems like there will be a good deal, along with missions that may start in space but then bring you down to a surface, or vice versa.

~Kinggi~

Banned
They really need to work on that LOD transition when landing. Just watched that 15 min vid. Was cool but yeah blurry textures everywhere!

They really need to work on that LOD transition when landing. Just watched that 15 min vid. Was cool but yeah blurry textures everywhere!

Yeah, there are clearly some streaming kinks to work out. Distant patches of ground being more detailed that ones right below your ship, etc. Hope they can get them ironed out--that's kinda key to the whole experience.

EDIT: Haha, a redditor experiences a high-grav world

Flying around on a 1.6G world earlier and I can hear every creak and groan of the poor old Cobra as I look for somewhere interesting to land.
Turning towards the ground I start my descent, only to find that it's gotten out of control in a heartbeat. I engage my vertical thrusters but nothing except the straining of the tired old Cobra frame fighting against the pull of the planet. Fearing death, I point skywards and boost but alas it was too late. Physics wins this round.

It's been a while since I've fired up ED. They really did a great job optimizing the game, and apparently they are giving out credits like hot cakes now. Just getting back in the swing of things tonight, gonna land on some planets tomorrow.

Serrato

Yup, the LOD still has problems but it's promising. So far it's really... immersive.

Now I want info on the missions, the new guns (they said in 2.0 so) the synthesis system and how it works :)

Dear Devs: I know you're all for the super hyper sim with a HOTAS Flightstick crowd, but would it kill you to get a simplified control scheme for us gamepad plebs? I really wanted to get in on this, but I can barely fly the damn ship..

mnannola

Anyone try this in a DK2 yet? Wondering how performance is with all those new planets/station assets.

Looks amazing.

Burny

Dear Devs: I know you're all for the super hyper sim with a HOTAS Flightstick crowd, but would it kill you to get a simplified control scheme for us gamepad plebs? I really wanted to get in on this, but I can barely fly the damn ship..

The Xbone control scheme is included and it does the job well. It is however not dumbed down with additional assist systems and has the same learning curve as every other control scheme, including mouse & keyboard and HOTAS.

Stick to it. Once you get it, it'll be all the more rewarding. And note that you need to roll and pitch for quick direction adjustments. Yaw is for subtle adjustments in Elite. ;)

Lime

Despite being a first buyer back in December last year and feeling burned by FD shitting on me with their upgrade program, I caved and bought Horizons. It's such a great sim that makes good use of my HOTAS.

Hylian7

Despite being a first buyer back in December last year and feeling burned by FD shitting on me with their upgrade program, I caved and bought Horizons. It's such a great sim that makes good use of my HOTAS.

The question is, will it actually work for you and let you play?

Saganator

Bummed that paying $75 for this game a while back ago on Steam isn't enough to get access to the beta. Oh well. Thanks for posting those videos.

Burny

We've been through this when Horizons was announced. You can keep playing the base game for no additional cost and the basic updates will also feed into it. The seasons with their incremental feature updates are a quasi subscription that let you chose if and when to upgrade.

It's more expensive than a one time purchase affair, but in all likelyhood it's also what will enable them to keep developing Elite for years to come. Without a publisher's funds backing the project there is bound to be some more cost for the customer.

Impulsor

Just got me a X55 Rhino Hotas for this game. It's so much cooler to play with the hotas that it's not even funny.

Pre-ordered the xpac too.

Mugen08

Got burned out by E:D. Lame on-board ship computer that can not e.g. take snapshots of data in space stations, such as commodity market lists. I know there are third party solutions but I can't be bothered. Might opt in for expansions later when there is more new stuff for a lower pricetag. Looks pretty as always though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, are you using the steam launcher or the one from FD? Beta is only in the launcher from FD, if you don't have it then download it from their store and let it sync your game files then it should show up to download.
Oh is it the same launcher as Elite Dangerous? I assumed that there would be a new launcher for Horizons.

Lime

We've been through this when Horizons was announced. You can keep playing the base game for no additional cost and the basic updates will also feed into it. The seasons with their incremental feature updates are a quasi subscription that let you chose if and when to upgrade.

It's more expensive than a one time purchase affair, but in all likelyhood it's also what will enable them to keep developing Elite for years to come. Without a publisher's funds backing the project there is bound to be some more cost for the customer.

50% off for existing owners would have made it okay for me.

Jimrpg

QeEGc7c.gif

I'm fine paying $45 a year for the amount of content we're getting, quite honestly. Just a little cheaper would be the sweet spot, but it's already cheaper than a lot of season passes for AAA console games, if you own the base game ($15 loyalty discount).

As someone who buys only a few full price games a year and spends mostly on discounted games, its a lot for me, but I see where you're coming from.

Well Ill probably pull the trigger, but is there any disadvantage in getting the steam version? Or should I go to Frontier's website and get the discounted version. It's also a little cheaper for me on Steam.

I think I read somewhere that Horizons on steam isn't going to be launching at the same time as Horizons on their own website?

Top Bottom