• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elizabeth Banks to Direct & Star in Universal Monsters Invisible Woman

GV82

https://deadline.com/2019/11/invisible-woman-elizabeth-banks-universal-director-star-1202795573/

Universal Pictures has put in development Invisible Woman, from an original pitch by Elizabeth Banks. Banks will direct and star in the film, and The Girl on the Train‘s Erin Cressida Wilson wrote the current draft. Banks and Max Handelman will produce through their Brownstone Productions, which did the Pitch Perfect series and most recently Charlie’s Angels. Banks directed and co-starred in that recent release. Brownstone’s Alison Small will be executive producer.

Ohhh boy. 😑

Not forgetting to mention Paul Feig (Ghostbusters 2016) is still making a film called The Dark Army also for Universal Monsters.

This is the new Movie Universe going forward after they scrapped the Dark Universe, no news yet if they interconnect or are all stand alone for the moment.

GreyHorace

I hope she remembers that Well's Invisible Man was a villain. If she goes saying women need more heroes like this... Hoo boy.

-Arcadia-

Banned
sol_bad sol_bad rn

1JSpuD1.gif

Nymphae

Banned
I'd actually be very curious to see how they apply negative character traits to a woman that has powers of invisibility.

With a dude, it's trivial. In Hollow Man, Kevin Bacon gets his new powers, and boom, within the day he is attempting sexual assaults. How are they going to make an invisible woman have negative character traits that aren't the fault of the men in her life? I'm kind of interested to see how they explore what a woman would do if no one was looking.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I don't know why I didn't think of it, a guy at work was saying it'll probably be a woman getting revenge on a sexual assault perpetrator or something, a woman taking righteous vigilante action against oppressive men. Usually I'm not very fond of gender swaps but this has me very curious.

plushyp

I don't know why I didn't think of it, a guy at work was saying it'll probably be a woman getting revenge on a sexual assault perpetrator or something, a woman taking righteous vigilante action against oppressive men. Usually I'm not very fond of gender swaps but this has me very curious.
Didn't they do something similar with the upcoming "The Invisible Man" 2020 film?

cryptoadam

Banned
Its already bomba lol. How is she going to inject woke feminism into this movie? Can't wait for her to blame men for the movie bombing.

I guess the main character will get revenge on all patriarchy for metooin'g her.

Its already bomba lol. How is she going to inject woke feminism into this movie? Can't wait for her to blame men for the movie bombing.

I guess the main character will get revenge on all patriarchy for metooin'g her.

They should go all out and have her literally shit on all the Bad Men, who then spend the rest of the movie feeling and smelling invisible shit all over them but they can’t see it....because it’s invisible

it’s a powerful metaphor

giphy.gif

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
They should go all out and have her literally shit on all the Bad Men, who then spend the rest of the movie feeling and smelling invisible shit all over them but they can’t see it....because it’s invisible

it’s a powerful metaphor

giphy.gif

If a women shits in the woods and no one sees it did she really shit? LOL.

The ultimate ghost poop, but when would you know when to stop wiping if it was invisible you would be walking around with a shit butt all day.

GV82

so it’s not connected to this film?

I’m confused

I have no idea to be honest, I mean you’d think so but I was reading somewhere earlier they might make it standalone for now after their connected universe failed at the first hurdle, then if these films are well received connect them later on.

Think i’ll just stick to my 1930’s Classics for now.

highrider

Banned
I feel confident it will be better than Darkman 3. Seriously, I haven’t seen Charlie’s Angels, but it looks awful. That said, I’d still like to see her have a successful go.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is a win for universal.

A. She is a known actress and director with an audience.

B. Universal gets "woke points" for not fridging Banks after just 1 underwhelming film.

C. She was probably real cheap :)

We all know there is gonna be a scene where some pervie creep gets his comeuppance. Just accept it and move on. Hopefully banks has more ideas than that.

BigBooper

I liked her in Catch Me If You Can.

I hope they have a scene where they use her invisibility as a metaphor for being ignored by the patriarchy.

I liked her in Catch Me If You Can.

I hope they have a scene where they use her invisibility as a metaphor for being ignored by the patriarchy.

I liked her in 40 Year Old Virgin and Zach and Miri. I don’t even hate the Pitch Perfect movies, they’re fine for what they are.

I don’t have a Banks problem. I have a She Just Made A Colossal Flop problem but I guess that is just Hollywood

RevengeOfToonces

Neo Member
Universal's, IMO, been doing this all wrong from the jump. They've now tried rebooting, by my count, every classic monster IP in just the last five years with the exception of Creature From The Black Lagoon and they've all failed miserably. There's an audience for this series, but Universal seems content to still pretend like it's still 2003 or something. If you've seen the trailer for the new Invisible Man, it just looks like a watered down James Wan produced version of Hollow Man. They continue to take the Len Wiseman approach when they should be looking into filmmakers like Robert Eggers. Not like he'd spend ten years of his life cranking out updated monster movies year after year, but find some new talent for God's sake. Scout around social media for hungry filmmakers waiting to be discovered who have a fondness for 30s and 40s horror. Give them a modest budget, set the parameters, then let them run wild with it. There's so much potential being squandered.

RevengeOfToonces

Neo Member
She'll have a suit that prevents the need to get naked to be invisible. Calling it now.

That's one of the character's main flaws though, like Dracula being hurt by sunlight or silver if you're a werewolf. In all the original iterations, invisible man or woman, their biggest weakness was that they had to run around naked, which only really sucks if it's cold out or you have a sweaty ass and have to sit in a leather chair. Of course they'd probably take that away. The invisible woman can do anything! Don't call her Mary Sue!

You know men would not watch it for the non-existant Wank Bank because you can't see her.

Saying that though, if she's ugly then that could only be a good thing.

But I do hope that the Invisible Woman doesn't mean Invisible Sales....or is this a ploy by Universal to say that they had made a lot of Invisible money because the Invisible Audience could relate to her?

It's not so much as Woke as Non-Woke because you can't be offended.

Bonus Gif:

IpDAgCi.gif

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I keep thinking Banks is Elisabeth Shue. I was like the chick from adventures in babysitting is making an invisible women movie.

Grinchy

Banned
I first saw her in 40 year old virgin playing that horny chick but props that Banks still in the game making bank. 😎
Making bank? Her last movie is going to lose a shit ton. Maybe say she's making lemonade stand or something more accurate.

Top Bottom