Elizabeth Warren apologizes again after picture of her State Bar card surfaces listing "American Indian" as race

Oct 9, 2013
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ba003e81_story.html?__twitter_impression=true

Sen. Elizabeth Warren said Tuesday that she was sorry that she identified herself as a Native American for almost two decades, reflecting her ongoing struggle to quiet a controversy that continues to haunt her as she prepares to formally announce a presidential bid.
Her comments more fully explain the regret she expressed last week to the chief of the Cherokee Nation, the first time she’s said she was sorry for claiming American Indian heritage.

The private apology was earlier reported as focusing more narrowly on a DNA test she took to demonstrate her purported heritage, a move that prompted a ferocious backlash even from many allies. Warren will be vying to lead a party that has become far more mindful of nonwhite voters and their objections to misuse of their culture.
“I can’t go back,” Warren said in an interview with The Washington Post. “But I am sorry for furthering confusion on tribal sovereignty and tribal citizenship and harm that resulted.”

Warren has been trying for the past year to get past the lingering controversy over her past assertion that she is Native American.

In addition to the DNA test, she released employment documents over the summer to show she didn’t use ethnicity to further her career. And in a speech a year ago she addressed her decision to call herself a Native American, though she didn’t offer the apology that some wanted at the time.

But as Warren undergoes increased scrutiny as a presidential candidate, additional documents could surface to keep the issue alive.

Using an open records request during a general inquiry, for example, The Post obtained Warren’s registration card for the State Bar of Texas, providing a previously undisclosed example of Warren identifying as an “American Indian.”

Warren filled out the card by hand in neat blue ink and signed it. Dated April 1986, it is the first document to surface showing Warren making the claim in her own handwriting. Her office didn’t dispute its authenticity.

For Warren, putting this chapter behind her is key to calming the nerves of Democrats who want a nominee who can move beyond any problems in their past and present a strong challenge to President Trump.

Jan 31, 2018
For Warren, putting this chapter behind her is key to calming the nerves of Democrats who want a nominee who can move beyond any problems in their past and present a strong challenge to President Trump.
One would think, given how much democrats these days value race above most other things, that they would be a bit more peeved about one of their own claiming to be an oppressed minority for clout.

I suppose asking for consistency is too much. Anyone who opposes Bad Orange Man is good enough for them.

Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
One would think, given how much democrats these days value race above most other things, that they would be a bit more peeved about one of their own claiming to be an oppressed minority for clout.

I suppose asking for consistency is too much. Anyone who opposes Bad Orange Man is good enough for them.
I don’t speak for any other Democrat, but personally I think it’s really tacky of her. I think she’s a terrible candidate and honestly wish she stopped getting herself in headlines

Jan 27, 2018
It's hard to believe that she's managed to make such a mockery of herself. I can't see her being a serious candidate at this point, public perception is already ruined before she even had a chance. Then again the audience she's banking on isn't particularly bright and will likely salivate when she throw out words like "feminism" and "patriarchy" so who knows...

Feb 21, 2018
I'm sure he'll get a good chuckle out of it when hes in prison for treason.
Keep dreaming. 2nd term here we come. Trump just won the election with his STOU. All the Dems have now is Orange Man Bad and nothing else. What are they going to campaign on? Too many women working, too low black unemployment, the economy is doing too good. After his speech last night if you call Trump a racist or antisemite then you are from a different dimension.

Aug 22, 2018
Live by identity politics.
Die by identity politics.
Everyone plays regardless, some just choose not to participate.
I don't mean to sound as though I'm playing oppression olympics, but it is true that one's identity colors the way in which the world interacts with them. Stereotypes are often derided as not useful, but when dealing with large populations we can find statistical evidence that supports the popular notions. It's an important distinction to understand that I don't suggest that stereotypes are completely arbitrary nor are they the rule, I look for evidence to support or debunk them. If I find evidence for them, I'm not going to fight against them very hard because the group the stereotype is ascribed to, statistically speaking, earned it. If I find it's false, I'll combat it. Again they're used for large groups of people, and helpful for risk/reward analysis of situations that deal with populations.
Everyone wears an identity they were born with, it's tied directly to their genetic makeup. The people who chose to play the identity-based political game first in the US while it was demographically stable have had massive success. It's clear that if an in-group, even one that downplays the importance of their own collective identity, practices altruism towards an out-group that does not reciprocate or even outright juxtaposes their interests through voting patterns, they will not succeed. In fact, evolutionarily, it is THE losing strategy.
In the demographically shifting US, identity politics are all the more powerful. The politicians aren't the cause of these divisions anymore like they were in the demographically-stable US, it's self-fulfilling now because most collective groups are utilizing Democracy to its fullest and voting in their own interests, people aren't concerned with compromising with other groups for the good of the US any longer because the country is unable to serve everyone's interests equally in such a diverse society with diverse needs.
We used to not see identity politics in the US to this degree, but that changed and a consciousness of them was borne out of rapidly changing demographics.

Really need a whole thread for this kind of discussion, there's a lot of points here.
As for Elizabeth, her apparent Native American heritage may as well just be low-confidence noise within a DNA test. It's like people who recieve <1% Sub Saharan African DNA on their test and then they look at the confidence and it may as well not have been listed.

Sep 4, 2018
Oof this is lame

Feel like the big danger here is folks saying “who cares? This doesn’t matter” ie the blowback to the blowback. It does matter. Think about if the D was an R.

It’s becoming clearer and clearer that racism knows no party lines. Best to admit to past sins and take responsibility for your actions, otherwise any attempt to mitigate future screw ups will look as cynical and self serving as they are

Mar 12, 2014
She lost the support of the Boston Globe and its rabid commentators. She's done. And the Globe is also looking pretty bad for its years of claiming she never asserted minority status for professional gain despite the obvious circumstantial evidence, and obvious motive for the people denying it to lie.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
This is dumb, but she was also dumb to play the idpol game. I love her economic policy. This social progressive shit is cancer though.

old

May 11, 2013
So this is the new Benghazi for the right. Gonna hear about this for years as a lame attempt to discredit someone they fear.

If the Dems have any balls they’d fight fire with fire and continually bring up every misstep by top Repubs. They can start by bringing up all the Repubs caught taking pictures with Russian NRA operatives. I think we need to hear about that about every three days.

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I don't see the need to crucify her. She apologized. Let's move on.

The real question is why the Democrats are tolerating this grievance and not ousting her. When your purity tests only apply to certain people because of reasons, it makes me question the earnestness of your moral beliefs.

So this is the new Benghazi for the right. Gonna hear about this for years as a lame attempt to discredit someone they fear.

If the Dems have any balls they’d fight fire with fire and continually bring up every misstep by top Repubs. They can start by bringing up all the Repubs caught taking pictures with Russian NRA operatives. I think we need to hear about that about every three days.
This is extremely crass when you consider that no one died in this situation, thankfully.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX

What a stupid post. We're laughing at her for being a joke. We're not seriously upset at her for anything similar to failing to take action on credible intel that ultimately resulted in the deaths of American government representatives abroad in a place that is a hotbed for terrorist activity.

Elizabeth Warren is a joke. I care about her about 1/1024th as much as I do that someone as bad at her job as Secretary Hillary was put on a pedestal by the Democratic party.

Aug 12, 2008
By the way this article buried the lede. She did not apologize for this new document, at least not as of the time of it's release. She maintained that she never used her fake background as a Cherokee to get ahead, yet we are here, she lied about that as well.

Which is why this document was surfaced, the article was trying to get ahead of it by saying she apologized in the headline, yet in the very article it states that isn't the case. This paper is trash.

old

May 11, 2013
What a stupid post. We're laughing at her for being a joke. We're not seriously upset at her for anything similar to failing to take action on credible intel that ultimately resulted in the deaths of American government representatives abroad in a place that is a hotbed for terrorist activity.

Elizabeth Warren is a joke. I care about her about 1/1024th as much as I do that someone as bad at her job as Secretary Hillary was put on a pedestal by the Democratic party.
U scared

Oct 1, 2006

You realize Schumer used to have lunch meetings with a Russian diplomat, right?

The idea that even being around a Russian makes you suspect is idiotic. Who cares.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I don't see the need to crucify her. She apologized. Let's move on.

The real question is why the Democrats are tolerating this grievance and not ousting her. When your purity tests only apply to certain people because of reasons, it makes me question the earnestness of your moral beliefs.

This is extremely crass when you consider that no one died in this situation, thankfully.
Not with you on this one, Dun. She has made significant material gains from her lies at someone else’s expense (whoever she displaced) and a simple apology won’t cut it. She needs to slink off into retirement with her tail between her legs and give up any ideas about a run for President.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Not with you on this one, Dun. She has made significant material gains from her lies at someone else’s expense (whoever she displaced) and a simple apology won’t cut it. She needs to slink off into retirement with her tail between her legs and give up any ideas about a run for President.
Let her run.The memes will be epic. Let her go up with Biden as her vp. That will be even better.

It is a glorious time to be alive. Unlimited memes .....

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2014
Is this an old thread or new one? She has apologized for being proud of her heritage so many times I can't keep up. Will she ever just give a full accounting and be honest finally, or will we have to endure another 100 instances where she gets caught cheating the system and apologizes for being proud of her heritage?

Jan 11, 2016
This is really stupid and inconsequential, but it's going to hurt her chances of a presidential bid, which were already vanishing. I think Warren would be a very good president, but a pretty lousy candidate, particularly in a match up against may Trump.

嫩翼

so it's not nice
Apr 2, 2013
臺北市, 臺灣
So while I believe this is silly on its own given the ratio of Native Indian she is (and how she effectively, in this way, "cheats the system") is this not an example of burrowing through someone's past? Or, doxxing, as they call it.

Dec 11, 2018
So while I believe this is silly on its own given the ratio of Native Indian she is (and how she effectively, in this way, "cheats the system") is this not an example of burrowing through someone's past? Or, doxxing, as they call it.
She has effectively invited it. It wasn't an honest claim to begin with, AFAIK. If she had just let it go after her initial public claim, it would have probably remained a punchline. Running for president, or any public service position, means surrendering your past to public scrutiny, though. No one should ever expect to run for president and keep a bunch of skeletons hidden away in the closet. IOW come with a bunch of fascinating stories to tell and be made of Teflon.

Oct 9, 2013

She pretty much brought it upon herself. She's been claiming to be Native American ancestry for a long time. All up until recently (which she still may do privately). Then she claimed she had never used it as her ethnicity before so sure enough there would be someone out there that would try show that she was lying. Technically, it is looking at her past but it's all pretty much of her own doing by claiming something for so long. It wasn't like she claimed this sometimes back in the day. She's been claiming this for a very long time until recently.

Last edited:

嫩翼

so it's not nice
Apr 2, 2013
臺北市, 臺灣
She has effectively invited it. It wasn't an honest claim to begin with, AFAIK. If she had just let it go after her initial public claim, it would have probably remained a punchline. Running for president, or any public service position, means surrendering your past to public scrutiny, though. No one should ever expect to run for president and keep a bunch of skeletons hidden away in the closet. IOW come with a bunch of fascinating stories to tell and be made of Teflon.
No doubt...

Feb 21, 2018
Well she thought she was smart by taking the DNA test, and it blew up in her face. Thats on her. She could of taken the L but her TDS just caused her to forget facts and truth and go on emotion. Usual leftist position though. So high on themselves that they think others can't tell when they are shoving shit in their face.

I guess she thought that everyone else hates Trump so much that even if she is lying and the truth is not what she said people wouldn't care and would still believe her and take her side.

Sorry lefties but FACTS and TRUTH do matter. You may emotionally feel like you are a native, and morally you think its ok to lie about your heritage to advance your career. But the FACT is you are not native, and the TRUTH is that no its not OK to lie that you are a minority.

Feb 25, 2017
Well she thought she was smart by taking the DNA test, and it blew up in her face. Thats on her. She could of taken the L but her TDS just caused her to forget facts and truth and go on emotion. Usual leftist position though. So high on themselves that they think others can't tell when they are shoving shit in their face.

I guess she thought that everyone else hates Trump so much that even if she is lying and the truth is not what she said people wouldn't care and would still believe her and take her side.

Sorry lefties but FACTS and TRUTH do matter. You may emotionally feel like you are a native, and morally you think its ok to lie about your heritage to advance your career. But the FACT is you are not native, and the TRUTH is that no its not OK to lie that you are a minority.
The problem with using the moral highground argument is you have to show a history of moral and ethical behavior, action, and belief. Most of the democrats who use this moral highground to support their positions lack the consistency, history, record or even the low bar of living a decent and productive life. This phony Warren character is the textbook example of someone who calls for empathy and compassion when it is revealed that she possess neither qualities.

Oct 24, 2017
what is this graph suggesting that someone like the Guardian is more neutral is a fucking Joke.... They are as left as Infowars is right

Last edited: