• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ellie vs Abby: Who's Prettier?

Who's prettier? Ellie or Abby?

• Total voters

kunonabi

What do you guys think about Dina?

dhAmghg.png

Her real life model is super hot.

Dthomp

Some of you guys need to accept the fact that western developers no longer interested having "attractive" characters in their games, especially they go to even more "realistic" visuals.....It just how things are now with western games.

While you are right about Western Devs not wanting to make attractive characters anymore, I'm not sure ND taking a body like Dina is based off of and literally giving her a giant nose AND shrinking her breasts should in any realm be considered realistic to people. They did the actress dirty here, cause she's a looker for sure, and honestly...if she was 1/1 of her real life looks, would that have made her a less believable character in the universe of the game? I am very impatiently waiting for this wave of nonsense to finally make it's way out of gaming. FFS if I want to see a bunch of unattractive women, and men for that matter I can go back out into the real world and be depressed, games are supposed to be fun and make us feel better.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I don't mean to be rude, but is there a medical reason behind the spots on the face of the woman who portrays Dina? Or are they the result of too much Sun exposure? By the way, I think that they give her face character; she's cute.

ZbMQW2n.jpg

Gamernyc78

Banned
My son said "dad she's big like you" 😂 😂 😂 😂 I started laughing. Abby looks like an abomination and in no way is attractive. They went hard in this game to push an agenda but I still luv the game. Her arms are as big as mine and the few women that have tht physique are body builders on that juice just like all men in heavy weight lifting are on that debol or roids. Tht shit is not natural and omg thy way thy made her walk 😂😂😂😂

Them cutting the breasts off Dina says enough. We live in a world tht wants to emasculated men and butchify women it's crazy 😂😂😂😂

Btw you don't have to like what I say I'm calling it how I see it. Also no disrespect to the gay community your good in my book.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
While you are right about Western Devs not wanting to make attractive characters anymore, I'm not sure ND taking a body like Dina is based off of and literally giving her a giant nose AND shrinking her breasts should in any realm be considered realistic to people. They did the actress dirty here, cause she's a looker for sure, and honestly...if she was 1/1 of her real life looks, would that have made her a less believable character in the universe of the game? I am very impatiently waiting for this wave of nonsense to finally make it's way out of gaming. FFS if I want to see a bunch of unattractive women, and men for that matter I can go back out into the real world and be depressed, games are supposed to be fun and make us feel better.
There is indeed a difference between Dina's body and that of the woman based on whose face her face is modeled. However, their faces are identical, including their noses.

Keihart

Should Sam Porter Bridges be older and less buff too?
Japanese girls might find a more androgenous character more attractive, he also has too much facial hair for those standards.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Currently the problem is that 90% of the western developers just look down on "attractive" character designs in games, they consider it as being "immature". their logic is wanting "attractive" character designs in games it means you are "horny" and you want "jack off to it", as long as this mindset exists then western will not make attractive character in video games even if the model is based on attractive person.

Japanese developers like having beautiful designs in their games regardless it has realistic visuals or not.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Currently the problem is that 90% of the western developers just look down on "attractive" character designs in games, they consider it as being "immature". their logic is wanting "attractive" character designs in games it means you are "horny" and you want "jack off to it", as long as this mindset exists then western will not make attractive character in video games even if the model is based on attractive person.

Japanese developers like having beautiful designs in their games regardless it has realistic visuals or not.
This is conjecture.

Danjin44

This is conjecture.
I'm not saying its fact, but based on my experience that the impression i'm getting. But like I said this before, developers are free to do what they want and I accept the fact that I no longer going to get attractive character designs from western games, but thankfully I have my Japanese games for that.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I love living in such a dumb world that creators sit around thinking..."oh man, some dude might jack off to this I better Uggo it up" All the things that should be worried about in creating a game, and is somebody gonna jack off to this shouldn't even be in the thought process. Somebody should tell them that some folk can "jack off" to just thoughts about nothing, they better just stop creating just incase

Keihart

Next in polls we need is "The Bride vs Ellen Ripley vs Sarah Connor"

I love living in such a dumb world that creators sit around thinking..."oh man, some dude might jack off to this I better Uggo it up" All the things that should be worried about in creating a game, and is somebody gonna jack off to this shouldn't even be in the thought process. Somebody should tell them that some folk can "jack off" to just thoughts about nothing, they better just stop creating just incase
I bet people can jack off to anything, if anyone it's actually doing that, it might be a futile endeavor.

Last edited:
Abbys face is for sure hotter - I don’t really understand what’s going on with her body tho. Like in that sex scene the breasts I could not tell if they were there or not

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Abby looks like a male body builder, which I find very unattractive. Ellie on the other hand I’ve always been quite fond of.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
I think they were both designed not to comply with current beauty standards. Beauty is somewhat subjective (although I believe universal beauty features exists and they are tied with evolutive instincts) but I don't find any of these two characters pretty. Ellie in particular has been uglified between games on purpose.

I think they were both designed not to comply with current beauty standards. Beauty is somewhat subjective (although I believe universal beauty features exists and they are tied with evolutive instincts) but I don't find any of these two characters pretty. Ellie in particular has been uglified between games on purpose.

Ellie was never supposed to be hot. She's a little girl Ellen Paige look alike. Then they used more of Ashley Johnson's face, and she's not a super model either.

PresetError

Neophyte
Ellie was never supposed to be hot. She's a little girl Ellen Paige look alike. Then they used more of Ashley Johnson's face, and she's not a super model either.

Look at the first TLOU2 trailer, the one where she plays the guitar. Ellie's face got "downgraded" even during mid to late development cycle.

Yoboman

Look at the first TLOU2 trailer, the one where she plays the guitar. Ellie's face got "downgraded" even during mid to late development cycle.
If having the character more closely represent a reference model helps with the performance capture then Im all for it.

Being too attractive would just be distracting in this world

PresetError

Neophyte
If having the character more closely represent a reference model helps with the performance capture then Im all for it.

Being too attractive would just be distracting in this world

The chances of an apocalypse whiping out all the good looking people on Earth are slim, but Ok. I think everybody would enjoy spending time with attractive characters in any game, but that's an impopular opinion these days. At least for female characters.

Yoboman

The chances of an apocalypse whiping out all the good looking people on Earth are slim, but Ok. I think everybody would enjoy spending time with attractive characters in any game, but that's an impopular opinion these days. At least for female characters.
Yeah but women in a lawless post apocalypse wouldn't be about getting haircuts, their beauty routines, fashion trends, wearing make up every day, perfect photo angles for social media, photoshop etc.

Women hit the gym these days for low body fat and to be toned. Abby hits it for those strength gains.

Even the hottest women lose out significantly without these tools

I could care less how a game character looks. They are pixels lol

PresetError

Neophyte
Yeah but women in a lawless post apocalypse wouldn't be about getting haircuts, their beauty routines, fashion trends, wearing make up every day, perfect photo angles for social media, photoshop etc.

Women hit the gym these days for low body fat and to be toned. Abby hits it for those strength gains.

Even the hottest women lose out significantly without these tools

I can understand your perspective but I don't agree that women are only attractive because of make up, clothes and gym routines. There are lots of women with natural beauty. They have been out there long before gyms, smartphones and apps existed.

As for the "They are pixels" theory. Yes, they are designed pixels. If i'm going to be looking at a design for hours on end I would like it to be visually pleasing. But that's just me.

Danjin44

Then you might as well say you wont care how cars and landscapes look in games just because they are "pixels". There nothing wrong for people liking good looking character designs in their games.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I can understand your perspective but I don't agree that women are only attractive because of make up, clothes and gym routines. There are lots of women with natural beauty. They have been out there long before gyms, smartphones and apps existed.

As for the "They are pixels" theory. Yes, they are designed pixels. If i'm going to be looking at a design for hours on end I would like it to be visually pleasing. But that's just me.
Dina, Ellie even Abby would be solid 7s if they were in a society where they were emphasising their female appeal. Instead they look like they have hardened themselves for a shit life

I mean the modern conception of beauty is weak, thin and young looking with no imperfections. I personally wouldn't buy into Taylor Swift running around TLOU world but thays just me.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
LMAO I thought the main character was played by Ellen Page. I could've sworn they used her as a model for the first one, but I guess not. This model looks nothing like her.

Yoboman

Then you might as well say you wont care how cars and landscapes look in games just because they are "pixels". There nothing wrong for people liking good looking character designs in their games.
A character design can be good without it being aesthetically beautiful.

This is one of my favourite designs this gen. Its an ugly old man in a tree

aUEDZhG.jpg

Authenticity, creativeness, how the design informs about the characters history, story, place in the world is important to character design. A character being hot is not good character design. Raiden is not a better design than Snake in MGS2 because he is more appealing to women (which is why he was put in).

Something like Soul Calibur female designs got objectively worse and worse as they upped the title sizes and decreased the armor and clothing sizes in a game about sword fighting. Hotter, sure but not better

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I don't mean to be rude, but is there a medical reason behind the spots on the face of the woman who portrays Dina? Or are they the result of too much Sun exposure? By the way, I think that they give her face character; she's cute.

ZbMQW2n.jpg

They're freckles.

The formation of freckles is caused by exposure to sunlight. The exposure to UV-B radiation activates melanocytes to increase melanin production, which can cause freckles to become darker and more visible. This means that one who has never developed freckles may develop them suddenly following extended exposure to sunlight.

Freckles are predominantly found on the face, although they may appear on any skin exposed to the sun, such as arms or shoulders. Heavily distributed concentrations of melanin may cause freckles to multiply and cover an entire area of skin, such as the face. Freckles are rare on infants, and more commonly found on children before puberty. Upon exposure to the sun, freckles will reappear if they have been altered with creams or lasers and not protected from the sun, but do fade with age in some cases.

Freckles are not a skin disorder, but people with freckles generally have a lower concentration of photo-protective melanin, and are therefore more susceptible to the harmful effects of UV radiation. It is suggested that people whose skin tends to freckle should avoid overexposure to sun and use sunscreen.[2][3]

Danjin44

decreased the armor and clothing sizes in a game about sword fighting
Funny how people have issue with this but no issue with games like MK that shows in X-ray of a character's skull getting shattered and yet still able to fight normally.
tumblr_nm879uN10O1u9werno2_500.gifv

Yoboman

Funny how people have issue with this but no issue with games like MK that shows in X-ray of a character's skull getting shattered and yet still able to fight normally.
tumblr_nm879uN10O1u9werno2_500.gifv
Thats not character design. And its not that I have issue with it, the point is they make the character hotter and sexier but its not an improvement to the character design

Velius

Banned
You need to use the Gary Busey Scale of Ugliness to chart repugnance of this magnitude.
gbs1.jpg

Credit to Maddox maddox.xmission.com

Top Bottom