• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star-Lord

Elon Musk has taken a 9.2% stake in Twitter, according to a US securities filing. The news sent Twitter shares soaring about 25% in pre-market trading.

The Tesla founder bought 73,486,938 Twitter shares on 14 March, according to the Securities and Exchange Commission. The stake is worth $2.89bn (£2.20bn), based on Twitter's closing price on Friday.

Musk is a regular Twitter user with more than 80 million followers, although recently he said he is giving "serious thought" to building a new social media platform. Late last month Musk asked his followers whether they thought the social medial platform encouraged free speech.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That's funny. I just saw a video last night on youtube talking about how he was considering building his own social media platform. One of the hosts said, "well why not just buy Twitter and change it that way?"

So the gov't should just make public all business entities with 'bad' user bases? To what end?
The government has nothing to do with this story.

Twitter serves as a public square more than anywhere else. Whether it is publicly owned or not is irrelevant. I’m not happy about it, but unless you can provide a better example, I think you don’t really have an argument.

Last edited:

///PATRIOT

Banned
There is no guarantee of 'free speech' within business, it only protects from the government. Twitter is a business, not a free speech zone. To make Twitter a free speech zone would require government intervention.
You sound like those wokes that loved it when their enemies were banned from Twitter, then gaslit the shit of everyone with that bullshit of "only the government can do censorship" "twitter is a business" "it's just how capitalism works"

No dude, what Twitter does to one group is pretty amoral and wrong, go touch some grass.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

The one who controls social media, controls the world! So let's go and buy some more shares, guys!

Let's buy everything: Twitter, TikTok, Discord, Facebook, Youtube - that's one hell of a propaganda bundle!

Listen to me closely: The world needs NON-PROFIT SOCIAL MEDIA. Basically everything above but open source and non-profit.

If I wasn't that stupid and knew how... I'd program it myself!

Last edited:
You sound like those wokes that loved it when their enemies were banned from Twitter, then gaslit the shit of everyone with that bullshit of "only the government can do censorship" "twitter is a business" "it's just how capitalism works"

No dude, what Twitter does to one group is pretty amoral and wrong, go touch some grass.
Which is weird to me because Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage doesn't seem like a woke dude... Unless I've been reading him wrong this whole time.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
That’s excellent news. Now he just needs to buy out Resetera, and get rid of the furry infestation going on over there.

Last edited:
That’s excellent news. Now he just needs to buy out Resetera, and get rid of the furry infestation going on over there.
Please don't. They need to be contained somewhere.

Waiting for people to get banned for saying negative things about him.
Eh, I think he's pretty used to people saying negative things about him. He doesn't seem like he lets it get to him that much.

ParaSeoul

RAÏSanÏa

Twitter is not a public square.
Unsure why anyone who wants less enforcement would want it to be a public square beyond appealing romantic ideas. Squares appear very well regulated by the establishment of the community after looking up what one was.

It seems closer to mailbox flyers where everyone stands around the mailbox. Less regulated and can create mobs.
There's the tabloid types of people still vulnerable to celebrity, misinformation/disinformation, getting hysterical then acting on impulse makes regulation something of a necessity to keep people safe until education catches up. The last few years of heavier moderation have helped, even the war in Ukraine. A few more years one way or another should help. They divide between the educated and none may grow even wider socially if it isn't uniform.

Nations having their own socials with co-existing international networks seems like it could be part of the solution.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
No GIF

All the ree people right now. The thread over there is about what you would expect.

Unsure why anyone who wants less enforcement would want it to be a public square beyond appealing romantic ideas. Squares appear very well regulated by the establishment of the community after looking up what one was.

It seems closer to mailbox flyers where everyone stands around the mailbox. Less regulated and can create mobs.
There's the tabloid types of people still vulnerable to celebrity, misinformation/disinformation, getting hysterical then acting on impulse makes regulation something of a necessity to keep people safe until education catches up. The last few years of heavier moderation have helped, even the war in Ukraine. A few more years one way or another should help. They divide between the educated and none may grow even wider socially if it isn't uniform.

Nations having their own socials with co-existing international networks seems like it could be part of the solution.
Considering they are banning and censoring things that are true, I don’t think things are “better”. Unless by better you just mean they are banning people you don’t agree with.

RAÏSanÏa

Considering they are banning and censoring things that are true, I don’t think things are “better”. Unless by better you just mean they are banning people you don’t agree with.
There's the odd mistake as with any system and the human element. Nothing drastic has happened since it's not a sole source of information.

I was aware of that episode.

If he starts wanting to ban people he would just be a giant hypocrite. And Elon Musk is a lot of questionable things -- a weirdo, a troll, etc -- but "hypocrite" does not seem to be one of those things, at least from what I know about him.

Boss Mog

Great news! Why build something from the ground up and put in all the work to make it competitive in hopes of someday toppling current big tech companies when you have the money to gut them from the inside.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

You know nothing about me, dude. I don't pay attention to Twitter, nor do I have online 'enemies'. Your post comes off like a spoiled child tantruming over an imaginary "enemy" that doesn't actually exist. Social media in general has been an absolute cancer to humanity. Your response here is a great example of how it damages people's ability to hold a conversation--you're literally arguing points I have never stated.

If anyone needs to touch grass here, it's you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom