• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
AFter he started suspending people for posting links to other social media sites, forbidding people from even sending dms containing mastodon usernames and ultimately ban posts linking to other social media sites like facebook, insta, etc, I hope he leaves. He won't, of course lol.

Who would he even get to replace him? If he did replace himself with someone else, he'd still own Twitter, and I'm sure he'd still remove his replacement if he felt the replacement wasn't doing what he wanted, so I'm not sure what the difference would be.

Either way, it feels weird to ask this question without knowing who the replacement would be, and how they'd intend to run things.

Last edited:
AFter he started suspending people for posting links to other social media sites, forbidding people from even sending dms containing mastodon usernames and ultimately ban posts linking to other social media sites like facebook, insta, etc, I hope he leaves. He won't, of course lol.
One of his dumbest moves yet, IMO. But he also said he'd make mistakes and correct them if need be, so he definitely could admit that was a mistake.

I'm with him when it comes to banning real-time location info, though, especially after looking into it. I'm also glad he didn't permanently ban people over it. That would have been dumb.

JayK47

Why bother unless he removed bot accounts? The results will be as reliable as the [redacted].

Anyways. I thought he was looking for someone to take over. So what has changed? He should hand it over to some moderate who doesn't bend the knee to anyone or anything.

Trunx81

Twitter is largely unusable when Twitter meta-drama is the only thing being talked about on Twitter every day.

Banning people who link to other social media sites is impressively dumb, btw.
Didn’t he take that back, or did I misunderstand his “next time we vote” tweet before his exit poll?

Oh and if he reinstates Jack, that would be funny.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is he setting up an insanity defense for when all the absolutely absurd bullshit he's been peddling for 10+ years finally comes due?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Not surprising given the constant parade of mistakes. He was always going to step down eventually, but I think what they did today really sped that up.

That ridiculous attempt to make sharing links to your profiles on Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon, etc etc a punishable offense after all his talk of free speech was by far the dumbest move they have made so far. It essentially cuts off a SIGNIFICANT portion of its user base off at the knees. Artists, writers, craftsmen, content creators, freelance journalists, etc who use Twitter for advertising and networking. And by extension also drives away the fans of such people. Which pissed off people who already don't like him, but also those who have been supporting him the whole time. It was almost universal backlash. Not to mention it also signals to the competition that their efforts are working and that Twitter is vulnerable.

I have idea what they were thinking with that.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Lol amazing how people keep falling for his shtick and the lefty narrative about twitter on the verge of shutting down because a bunch of people got fired

nush

Gold Member
(No politics)

200.gif

The clown makeup is so caked on at this point that it will never fully come off, regardless if he steps down from Twitter and gets ousted at Tesla. The most epic self destruction we've seen in the modern era.

Nobody_Important

I hope not. He's made Twitter fun, again. Of course, this could just be a trap trying to fish for more bots.
He hasn't gone back on a single poll so far and already said he would abide by the results.

The last week has been a disaster for him both on Twitter and off. He is looking for a way out.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Eh. The dude had some kind of midlife crisis and drained a bunch of his wealth while burning down a company. I don't care what he does from here on out. I just hope those left at Twitter can have some kind of return to normalcy.

nocsi

Eh. The dude had some kind of midlife crisis and drained a bunch of his wealth while burning down a company. I don't care what he does from here on out. I just hope those left at Twitter can have some kind of return to normalcy.
Yea that's exactly what happened

Hoddi

It's good TV but I really don't get how invested some people are into this. I'm kinda happy to see Twitter burn down but it's really not making the opposing side look any better.

It's the most codependent celebrity worship I've seen since that fat middle-aged guy picketing for Paris Hilton to be released. I don't think most of these people are very successful in life.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yea that's exactly what happened

He burdened Tesla with this debt to the tune of $13bn. He can't even pay the weekly bills given the interest on those loans, which is why he fired most of the company and stopped paying rent on his properties.

Tesla stock is now down 43% this quarter alone. Value is down something like 52% since the purchase of Twitter. Twitter is worth nothing now, as he struggles to find a way to earn revenue after advertisers rightfully fled from his new wannabe Truth Social.

I cannot put into words how terrible this entire thing has been for stockholders in Tesla and Twitter.

And we all watched it play out in real time. Some rich dude having a midlife crisis. But sure, pretend reality isn't real.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He burdened Tesla with this debt to the tune of $13bn. He can't even pay the weekly bills given the interest on those loans, which is why he fired most of the company and stopped paying rent on his properties.

Tesla stock is now down 43% this quarter alone. Value is down something like 52% since the purchase of Twitter. Twitter is worth nothing now, as he struggles to find a way to earn revenue after advertisers rightfully fled from his new wannabe Truth Social.

I cannot put into words how terrible this entire thing has been for stockholders in Tesla and Twitter.

And we all watched it play out in real time. Some rich dude having a midlife crisis. But sure, pretend reality isn't real.
Given how shit Twitter's finances were when Musk bought it for $50+share = $44 billion, it's amazing Twitter somehow kept it's market cap that high. It was probably still worth about $30 billion before he made the offer.

If it's true the finances are that bad, it looks like despite Twitter having tons of usage, the company is really worth shit all. Then again, it's stayed at the $30-40/share range for ages like it's it's impervious to bad numbers. Hindsight is 20/20, but at some point if the financials caught up with the company, maybe the company could had dropped to $10/share if he waited. Oh well.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Given how shit Twitter's finances were when Musk bought it for $50+share = $44 billion, it's amazing Twitter somehow kept it's market cap that high. It was probably still worth about $30 billion before he made the offer.

If it's true the finances are that bad, it looks like despite Twitter having tons of usage, the company is really worth shit all. Then again, it's stayed at the $30-40/share range for ages like it's it's impervious to bad numbers. Hindsight is 20/20, but at some point if the financials caught up with the company, maybe the company could had dropped to $10/share if he waited. Oh well.

Prior to Musk's offer Twitter had little debt and functioned just fine. This needs to be said. Musk ruined things alone. It was functioning just fine, as most companies do, with a little debt, before. Let's not start pretending that Twitter is the only huge company that exists desptie never making any real profits. Hell, reference Tesla and Space X. Those companies would not exist at all if not for tax payer subsidies. At least Twitter wasn't bleeding the tax payers.

nocsi

So how is Twitter functioning right now? By your account, Twitter shouldn't even be operational. The #1 advertiser is still on twitter

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So how is Twitter functioning right now? By your account, Twitter shouldn't even be operational. The #1 advertiser is still on twitter

It's called debt and Musk selling billions in Tesla stock for it stay afloat? Are you even reading the news? The dude sold like 3.5 billion in Tesla stock just the other day in hopes of keeping Twitter afloat.

Last edited:

nocsi

It's called debt and Musk selling billions in Tesla stock for it stay afloat? Are you even reading the news? The dude sold like 3.5 billion in Tesla stock just the other day in hopes of keeping Twitter afloat.
Feel free to link news you're referencing. As far as I'm concerned, Elon has been diversifying and making sure his entire networth isn't tied up under Tesla.

If Twitter is in the disaster that many of you claim it to be in, you'd see it have less uptime than even something like neogaf. But somehow it's had near-perfect uptime since the acquisition - on just a skeleton crew of engineers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
1. No politics
2. Please accept the fact that if someone is “hardcore trolling” 24/7, it’s far more likely that the person in question is just very insecure.
3. Elon is an egomaniac

Have a good day
It’s not politics to say an entire spectrum of discussion not that long ago was entirely focused on how twitter was on the verge of collapse because a bunch of people got fired. It was nonstop 24/7 coverage on every tech site and every mainstream media operation. All these people were in absolute ideological lockstep roasting the site and how it was totally doomed within days. To my knowledge twitter had absolutely no outages or anything and all those people forgot all they were talking about. Turns out that insanely bloated staff was not quite the crack team of indispensable geniuses the painted themselves as. Did these people course correct? Of course not.

Is Musk insecure? Who cares. He said after he took over that they’re gonna try a bunch of stuff and work through it and there’s gonna be a lot of dumb stuff that goes on (paraphrasing). And all these people just continue to play into his game and, most importantly, ENAGE ON TWITTER!

Is Musk an egomaniac? Undoubtedly, it is how he got to where he is today. Yet people continue to FEED HIS EGO!

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

"Hey it's still working right?" is not exactly a....high bar to clear.

Even by the most optimistic measurements it's been difficult for Twitter since he got there. By more realistic measures? It's been a fucking mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom