• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Trolls Blue Origin

ManaByte

Gold Member

Ez-z-EvWUAAexK7

the big bang theory sheldon GIF

HCUZX0B.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Blue Origin
Founded: September 8, 2000
Funding: $1 billion per year from Jeff Bezos
Employees: 3500
Achievements: impressively phallic rocket design, ambitious PowerPoint presentations

SpaceX
Founded: May 6, 2002
Achievements:
n5u6ZX3.png

Camaway2

Blue Origin
Achievements: impressively phallic rocket design, ambitious PowerPoint presentations

SpaceX
Achievements:
n5u6ZX3.png
Amen to that.
The difference between the two companies is mind blowing when one considers that Blue Origins was founded two years earlier and has access to basically unlimited cashflow. It makes Musk's brilliance even more impressive.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Amen to that.
The difference between the two companies is mind blowing when one considers that Blue Origins was founded two years earlier and has access to basically unlimited cashflow. It makes Musk's brilliance even more impressive.

Musk's brilliance is surrounding himself with people who say "Yeah we can do that." and they actually mean it. Dreamers not fluffers.

HarryKS

Why'd he sell the bitcoin and pretend it wasn't to balance the books this quarter though?

Liquidity, my ass.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So if I'm understanding that tweet correctly blue origin is suing the US government because they didn't get the contract?

1 - Is that even possible? Because it sounds really stupid.

2 - Throwing a spurious lawsuit at the people who's good side you need to be on in order to get these contracts seems like a bad move.

Edit: I'm dumb it's a protest not a lawsuit lol

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
So if I'm understanding that tweet correctly blue origin is suing the US government because they didn't get the contract?

1 - Is that even possible? Because it sounds really stupid.

2 - Throwing a spurious lawsuit at the people who's good side you need to be on in order to get these contracts seems like a bad move.

I don't think it's a lawsuit. More like Blue Origin stomping their feet and crying "it's not fair!"

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I don't think it's a lawsuit. More like Blue Origin stomping their feet and crying "it's not fair!"
Oh I see that now. I think I'm so used to everyone suing everyone else these days that I just assumed protest was just another word for some kind of lawsuit lol

partime

Why'd he sell the bitcoin and pretend it wasn't to balance the books this quarter though?

Liquidity, my ass.

Sold 10% off Bitcoin's highs, but don't forget they still accept it as a Tesla payment method. Why is balancing the books a bad thing again for the weakest quarter?

Other ICE OEM's with their chip shortages and factory shutdowns won't have the luxury of balancing anything.

Sejan

Blue Origin

SpaceX
Achievements:
n5u6ZX3.png
This is the trouble with Blue Origin. They appear to have decent spacecraft designs and engines, but they appear unwilling to launch anything other than the New Shepherd.

SJRB

Gold Member
Never knew Bezos did a space thing. Just took a skim of its Wiki. What a waste of money. On the plus side, at least Bezos is funding lots of it himself with Amazon stock sale.

On a fundamental level I think it's wonderful that wealthy individuals like Richard Branson, Bezos and of course Elon are looking into space exploration because untethered by governmental restrictions they can push innovation forward in a way NASA for example could never do.

However, Bezos' problem seems to be that he thinks that "money = success". You can't just build a rocket and then be offended that NASA rather does business with a well-established, well proven company instead of you.

llien

That gives a wrong impression. Here is the first 100km flight and landing of booster/crew bit:

Flight No.DateVehicleApogeeOutcomeNotes
15 March 2005Charon315 ft (96 m)[70]Success
213 November 2006Goddard279 ft (85 m)[119]SuccessFirst rocket-powered test flight[120]
322 March 2007Goddard[121]Success
419 April 2007Goddard[122]Success
56 May 2011PM2 (Propulsion Module)[123]Success[124]
624 August 2011PM2 (Propulsion Module) ♺Failure[124]
719 October 2012New Shepard capsuleSuccessPad escape test flight,[81]
829 April 2015New Shepard 1307,000 ft (93.5 km)Partial successFlight to altitude 93.5 km, capsule recovered, booster crashed on landing[125]
923 November 2015New Shepard 2329,839 ft (100.535 km)[84]SuccessSub-orbital spaceflight and landing[126]
1022 January 2016New Shepard 2333,582 ft (101.676 km)[citation needed]SuccessSub-orbital spaceflight and landing of a reused booster[127]
112 April 2016New Shepard 2339,178 ft (103.381 km)[128]SuccessSub-orbital spaceflight and landing of a reused booster[54]
1219 June 2016New Shepard 2331,501 ft (101.042 km)[129]SuccessSub-orbital spaceflight and landing of a reused booster: The fourth launch and landing of the same rocket. Blue Origin published a live webcast of the takeoff and landing.[129]
135 October 2016New Shepard 2Booster: 307,458 ft (93.713 km)
Capsule: 23,269 ft (7.092 km)[130]
SuccessSub-orbital spaceflight and landing of a reused booster. Successful test of the in-flight abort system. The fifth and final launch and landing of the same rocket (NS2).[111]
1412 December 2017New Shepard 3Booster: 322,032 ft (98.155 km)
Capsule: 322,405 ft (98.269 km)[131]
SuccessFlight to just under 100 km and landing. The first launch of NS3 and a new Crew Capsule 2.0.[132]
1529 April 2018New Shepard 3351,000 ft (107 km)[133]SuccessSub-orbital spaceflight and landing of a reused booster.[134]
1618 July 2018New Shepard 3389,846 ft (118.825 km)[135]SuccessSub-orbital spaceflight and landing of a reused booster, with the Crew Capsule 2.0-1 RSS H.G.Wells, carrying a mannequin. Successful test of the in-flight abort system at high altitude. Flight duration was 11 minutes.[135]
1723 January 2019New Shepard 3Approx. 351,000 ft (106.9 km)[citation needed]SuccessSub-orbital flight, delayed from 18 December 2018. Eight NASA research and technology payloads were flown.[136][137]
182 May 2019New Shepard 3Approx. 346,000 ft (105 km)[138]SuccessSub-orbital flight. Max Ascent Velocity: 2,217 mph (3,568 km/h),[138] duration: 10 minutes, 10 seconds. Payload: 38 microgravity research payloads (nine sponsored by NASA).
1911 December 2019New Shepard 3Approx. 343,000 ft (104.5 km)[139]SuccessSub-orbital flight, Payload: Multiple commercial, research (8 sponsored by NASA) and educational payloads, including postcards from Club for the Future.[140][141][139]
2013 October 2020New Shepard 3Approx. 346,000 ft (105.4 km)Success7th flight of the same capsule/booster. Onboard 12 payloads include Space Lab Technologies, Southwest Research Institute, postcards and seeds for Club for the Future, and multiple payloads for NASA including SPLICE to test future lunar landing technologies in support of the Artemis program[142]
2114 January 2021New Shepard 4350,858 ft (106 km)SuccessUncrewed qualification flight for NS4 rocket and "RSS First Step" capsule and maiden flight for NS4.[143]
2214 April 2021New Shepard 4348,753 ft (106 km)Success2nd flight of NS4 with Astronaut Rehearsal. Gary Lai, Susan Knapp, Clay Mowry, and Audrey Powers, all Blue Origin personel, are “stand-in astronauts”. Lai and Powers briefly get in.[144]

Musk is clearly far ahead, but it's not like Mr Amazon doesn't even have a flying rocket.

By July 2014 Bezos invested only 500 million into the project, it's not like they are wiping arses with money.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Successful suborbital flights are meaningless when the contract is for a lunar mission. It requires ~3% of the energy to go to 100km vs orbit, 1.5% of the energy vs escape velocity. It’s an entirely different game. That’s why SpaceX’s first milestone was making it to LEO. The wrong impression was not given.

Ballthyrm

Blue Origin

SpaceX
Achievements:
n5u6ZX3.png

Crew 2 had a couple of first that are missing from this list.

• First reuse of a crewed capsule spacecraft (Dragon Endeavour)
  • First reuse of an Orbital first stage carrying a crewed spacecraft

Last edited:

McCheese

Funny story for you peeps, as told to me by a friend on a visit to SpaceX - not sure if he was pulling my leg but I'll share it as it's relevant to this thread, I'll be gutted if you guys can disprove it.

He told me Elon was paranoid these guys were using some type of laser pointer to heat up and blow up his rockets back in the early days when they were having trouble launching them and keeping them in one piece, as their (Blue Origin) research building had a direct line-of-sight with the original launch site they were using. so Elon demanded they hire someone with a telescope to spy at their building to see if anybody was on the roof, and then moved the launch site altogether just to be sure.

Sejan

I trust Musk a hell of a lot more than Bill Gates.

Elon has a god complex much like Gates but he sticks to his bread and butter in engineering. Gates is a computer tech guy acting as the medical authority of the world.
This, but so much more. Bill has become, in his own eyes, a master of everything. Politics, education, medical, everything. I'm all for the work he is doing in the medical field in disadvantaged areas such as making malaria medications more available. In the US, however, his meddling comes with strings attached--strings connected to massive amounts baggage.

Without getting into the politics of Gates, he has become much less of a philanthropist and much more of a self-styled social engineer that is often more akin to a rich guy that is bullying disadvantaged communities into conforming to his visions of society.

Jezbollah

Bezos and Blue Origin have plenty of issues they are likely to use this to distract people from.

1) the BE4 engine, which is supposed to power the ULA Vulcan, to allow the to get away from Atlas V and it's Russian RD180 engines, is currently AWOL
2) their own New Glenn rocket has yet to make tangable progress

Ballthyrm

I trust Musk a hell of a lot more than Bill Gates.

Elon has a god complex much like Gates but he sticks to his bread and butter in engineering. Gates is a computer tech guy acting as the medical authority of the world.

Gates and Musk are both great at building a team of competent people and giving them what they need , all the while understanding enough to correct the direction every so often.
I don't think Gates is a medical authority but his skills apllied to effective altruism can be commanded.

We lack people with the skills to lead large team well and that's mostly what Gates bring to his foundation.
The question you should really ask yourself as to the doubt over what they are doing in the US, I can't really argue against.

To me NGO should do their hardest to be apolitical , especially if they are related to health.
Having NGO for politics is fine like EFF or Amnesty International, but blurry the lines always risk muddying the water over their true purpose. (That's why GreenPeace makes no sense)
If you are trying to help people, you don't want to be attacked for silly political arguments or shitty conspiracies theories.

Last edited:

Ownage

Blue Origin

SpaceX
Achievements:
n5u6ZX3.png
Some biz are meant to run as a failure - with chronic annual losses - in order to be a tax deduction for the investor(s). Highly likely that this is the motive for Bezos and BO.

Sejan

Some biz are meant to run as a failure - with chronic annual losses - in order to be a tax deduction for the investor(s). Highly likely that this is the motive for Bezos and BO.
I think they are genuinely trying to succeed, but they are running a last gen business. By the time they get New Shepherd running real missions, it’ll be essentially obsolete compared to SpaceX’s Falcon 9s and Heavies. With Starship already well into testing, New Glenn will be virtually obsolete before they can even really begin to test it.

Blue Origin’s business philosophy is stuck in the past and just isn’t up to competing against SpaceX’s much more aggressive philosophy right now.

For Blue Origin to succeed, they need to push for simultaneous testing of New Shepherd and New Glenn. They need to get the ball rolling now so as to ensure that both vehicles are ready as soon as possible.

poodaddy

Oh I see that now. I think I'm so used to everyone suing everyone else these days that I just assumed protest was just another word for some kind of lawsuit lol
This statement says a lot about our society, particularly because it's actually quite understandable, and that's really sad.

Camaway2

I think they are genuinely trying to succeed, but they are running a last gen business. By the time they get New Shepherd running real missions, it’ll be essentially obsolete compared to SpaceX’s Falcon 9s and Heavies. With Starship already well into testing, New Glenn will be virtually obsolete before they can even really begin to test it.

Blue Origin’s business philosophy is stuck in the past and just isn’t up to competing against SpaceX’s much more aggressive philosophy right now.

For Blue Origin to succeed, they need to push for simultaneous testing of New Shepherd and New Glenn. They need to get the ball rolling now so as to ensure that both vehicles are ready as soon as possible.
If it wasn't for SpaceX Blue Origin would look almost revolutionary, in the same way Airbus was when it entered the fray on a field that was left stale by the lack of competition. The problem for them is that SpaceX is the ultimate lean 21st century company., with razon focus and modern agile methodology.

Top Bottom