• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EL's Book Club #002 (September 2020): Dune by Frank Herbert

Flying Toaster

Gold Member
Apr 7, 2011

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Every time I see cool books like this it makes me question my fully integrated all digital except for reference manuals approach to life.
I went all digital for several years, and it's very convenient for travel and whatnot, but I missed having a proper bookshelf and the feeling of an external representation of my collective knowledge, so eventually returned to physical editions.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I went all digital for several years, and it's very convenient for travel and whatnot, but I missed having a proper bookshelf and the feeling of an external representation of my collective knowledge, so eventually returned to physical editions.
Same here. I just made the switch back to regular books recently. I noticed I was reading a lot less after switching over to Kindle. I like having the book in my hand and find I read more often and for longer periods if it is not on a screen device.

Wish I saw this thread earlier since I've always wanted to read Dune and never gotten around to it. I just ordered the book off Amazon. It says it will arrive sometime between Saturday this week and Saturday next week. Might cancel and grab a copy at the store instead.

Last edited:

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Funny thing - getting a kindle led to me reading more. Can't honestly say why but it did. I will say I only use it for stuff that isn't technical books - programming books are better as a PDF on a PC.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2020
Been having an itch to start reading more, purchase a Kindle. I do like the tactile nature of a book though and that book looks niice.
Maybe both.

Jun 4, 2020
Miami, FL
I read Dune earlier this year. What a great book. Of all the chapters, the one I still vividly remember is the dinner party. My hair was standing up the entire time, incredible dialogue & the tension was off the charts. Jessica and Paul mind gaming the entire room was something amazing. Hopefully the movie has that scene in it.

MrS

Apr 6, 2014
North East, England

Was in two minds which version to pick up. Eventually picked up this version (Penguin Galaxy, not my pic) from Book Depository. Tried to cancel it after getting buyers remorse the day after - I failed and they dispatched it. They then gave me a full refund and let me keep the book. Very cool.

Jul 26, 2009
One of my all time favorite books, have read it a few times over the years. The second book Dune Messiah really rocked my view of the series though and I never continued with the series after that but subsequently read Dune again, excited for the movie.

If anybody wants to read some weird sci fi by Frank Herbert Destination:Void is a crazy story.
Destination Void is not one I’d recommend. While the story is interesting and the book is short, it’s a very very technical book that makes for dry reading. I expect most to find it boring.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

Apr 17, 2019
Still waiting on my copy. I'm sure I won't finish in time but I've been meaning to read it for years so this was a help to push me.

KeeXE

Neo Member
Jun 25, 2019
Alright! I read Dune and Dune: Messiah over the span of 2 and a half weeks at the beginning of quarantine. Really felt like Dune/Messiah really complement and Complete each other.

Just picked up 3, can’t wait to jump in

Last edited: