• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EL's Book Club #002 (September 2020): Dune by Frank Herbert

Re: editions, I went with Ace’s Dune Deluxe hardcover. The blue page edges are a nice touch. Didn't see any typos.

5HpxIg6.jpg

y2pecHV.jpg

tp5YzGG.jpg

Every time I see cool books like this it makes me question my fully integrated all digital except for reference manuals approach to life.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Every time I see cool books like this it makes me question my fully integrated all digital except for reference manuals approach to life.

I went all digital for several years, and it's very convenient for travel and whatnot, but I missed having a proper bookshelf and the feeling of an external representation of my collective knowledge, so eventually returned to physical editions.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I went all digital for several years, and it's very convenient for travel and whatnot, but I missed having a proper bookshelf and the feeling of an external representation of my collective knowledge, so eventually returned to physical editions.

Same here. I just made the switch back to regular books recently. I noticed I was reading a lot less after switching over to Kindle. I like having the book in my hand and find I read more often and for longer periods if it is not on a screen device.

Wish I saw this thread earlier since I've always wanted to read Dune and never gotten around to it. I just ordered the book off Amazon. It says it will arrive sometime between Saturday this week and Saturday next week. Might cancel and grab a copy at the store instead.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Funny thing - getting a kindle led to me reading more. Can't honestly say why but it did. I will say I only use it for stuff that isn't technical books - programming books are better as a PDF on a PC.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Been having an itch to start reading more, purchase a Kindle. I do like the tactile nature of a book though and that book looks niice.
Maybe both.

I read Dune earlier this year. What a great book. Of all the chapters, the one I still vividly remember is the dinner party. My hair was standing up the entire time, incredible dialogue & the tension was off the charts. Jessica and Paul mind gaming the entire room was something amazing. Hopefully the movie has that scene in it.

MrS

Banned
Dune-Penguin-Classics-Cover-design-Alex-Trochut-2-750x940.jpg

Was in two minds which version to pick up. Eventually picked up this version (Penguin Galaxy, not my pic) from Book Depository. Tried to cancel it after getting buyers remorse the day after - I failed and they dispatched it. They then gave me a full refund and let me keep the book. Very cool.

One of my all time favorite books, have read it a few times over the years. The second book Dune Messiah really rocked my view of the series though and I never continued with the series after that but subsequently read Dune again, excited for the movie.

If anybody wants to read some weird sci fi by Frank Herbert Destination:Void is a crazy story.
DestinationVoid%281stEd%29.jpg
Destination Void is not one I’d recommend. While the story is interesting and the book is short, it’s a very very technical book that makes for dry reading. I expect most to find it boring.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Still waiting on my copy. I'm sure I won't finish in time but I've been meaning to read it for years so this was a help to push me.

KeeXE

Neo Member
Alright! I read Dune and Dune: Messiah over the span of 2 and a half weeks at the beginning of quarantine. Really felt like Dune/Messiah really complement and Complete each other.

Just picked up 3, can’t wait to jump in

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
came across a passage while reading yesterday that mentioned "Turok". was like "So that's where it's from!"

so far about 1/3rd of the way through, they are scoping out the facilities and checking out the planet. Frank is really good at building up these worms as something immense and unstoppable. when one starts attacking a mine, they just have to abandon it.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
two days left, how's everyone doing?

i'm finishing up my hardcopy, will post thoughts on the 30th or thereabouts

i quite like how the worms with all their destructive power have no intelligent drive, just mindless guardians of the terrible treasure

Tesseract

Banned
it's nice to sync the same book or movie with community, see where thoughts converge or diverge

regrettably, i never spent much time in the book clubs of gaf's future past

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
October has begun. How did everyone do? We had a lot of interest at the start this time but not much follow through. Maybe more mid-month intercession is in order from my end.

Next book is in mind. I’ll put a dent in it over the next day or two and assuming it’s great I’ll get the thread up. Non-fiction next.

Tesseract

Banned
i finished and had a blast, the deluxe cover will sit on my shelf for life

i'll get some thoughts out when i have a clearer mind for written word

dunno what rules you have for posthumous bumps, maybe it's best to stay on track within allotted time

Tesseract

Banned
bene gesserit / sexual imprinting stuff is worth discussing, truthsaying, melange addiction and agony, breeding programs, so forth

also wanna dig into the oregon dunes, bizarre to me that so much inspiration could come from one area

Dune was inspired by Herbert's research for a potential article about the United States Department of Agriculture's attempt to use poverty grasses to stabilize the Oregon Dunes in Florence, Oregon.[1] Herbert learned that the moving dunes could "swallow whole cities, lakes, rivers, highways."[1] He said that in studying sand dunes, we must analyze the "black foot (people) of the Kalahari and how they utilize every drop of water. You can't just stop with the people who are living in this type of environment: you have to go on to how the environment works on the people and how they work on their environment."[2] Herbert based Fremen culture, in part, on the desert-dwelling Bedouin and San People.[2]

In an early, alternate Dune outline by Frank Herbert called Spice Planet, the Fremen are called the "Free Men", convicts who had been transported to "Duneworld" to work for the spice operation of the "Hoskanners" in exchange for a reduction in their sentence.[1]

USA_Oregon_Dunes.jpg

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’ve enjoyed the book and will continue with it but time has limited how far I got with it due to being absolutely burned out from work. My hours of being intellectually capable are somewhat limited by tiredness sadly.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot to mention also I’ve been reading this alongside Britain’s War by Daniel Todman - a fairly lengthy account of WW2. I really need to start picking lighter reads. It does rather make hitting a schedule impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:

DKehoe

October has begun. How did everyone do? We had a lot of interest at the start this time but not much follow through. Maybe more mid-month intercession is in order from my end.

Next book is in mind. I’ll put a dent in it over the next day or two and assuming it’s great I’ll get the thread up. Non-fiction next.

I didn't read as much as I had hoped to, to be honest. Similar to @hariseldon work has been pretty busy so that's limited my reading time at home. But I'm still getting through it. I'm now ahead of where I got the first time I was reading it years ago. So it's nice to be hitting totally new material rather than stuff I have vague memories of.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yeah the way he slowly sets up all the pieces and you get this creeping sense of betrayal then the end of book 1 happens whew crazy. Then book 2 seeing Paul and Jessica’s skills being teased to the limit. Good stuff.

Also fwiw I have seen the Lynch movie and so far it’s not terribly all that different from the book. Only halfway through tho so maybe that will change...

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just finishing this today. really awesome! what an amazing book.

the pacing is really nice. once the Emperor brings out Alia and she starts going in on the Baron and all the bad guys, that's such a great moment! you can just feel the tension ramping up, and that ending comes in like an action movie. it is so awesome.

i'll certainly have to read this again. possibly look into the rest of the initial trilogy...

This book helped me to get acquainted with the world of fantastic universes of Zelazny, Bradbury.... These authors have provoked my love for fantasy and the concept of parallel universes. I cannot say that Dune is classic science fiction because I did not see the pursuit of the ideal.

FIRST OFF SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT READ THE FIRST TWO BOOKS AND PART OF BOOK THREE

I got the Dune book series for Christmas and have been making my way through it for the first time. Wow. All the hype, all the attention, it is all worth it. This is indeed a masterpiece. The writing is fluid and descriptive, poetic, otherworldly, yet memorable. The worldbuilding is just brilliant, he is constantly introducing new things and elegantly explaining their place in the world. The deft with which he manages to depict very subtle political intrigue is also astonishing. These are the parts of the book that are probably most "unfilmable" because they are essentially rooms full of people talking about space politics. George Lucas tried this with the prequels and failed, it doesn't make for reverting movie viewing. But with a book you can go into the mind of each character's head, reveal their training, the lineage and hidden meaning of subtle gestures, the way a character will react to another's speech and how it reveals knowledge to them. Herbert is a madman for pulling this off. Honestly, it sounds far more complicated than it is in the moment reading it. It was all very easy to follow, granted I want to point out I have already seen the David Lynch version of Dune. After reading the first book I think he did an admirable job and it is very close story-wise.

It is cool that he pulled a sort of "Fallen Hero" subversion in the second book, taking the hero Paul and having a sort of Monkey Paw situation out of the success of the whole "Galactic Jihad" thing. It's a realistic look at what would happen in such an event, an engineered messiah inherits the most coveted resource in the universe, and in pursuing a spiritual quest, he tames the beasts that rule the planet, effectively conquering both hearts and minds. How do you maintain a theocratic totalitarian space empire based out of one planet? How far do you let your subjects carry their religious ferver, while being pulled in various directions by the forces of fate, all while having twin babies? His revolution was glorious but even he was afraid of it's glorious and terrible success. To watch it all implode on him, and characters trying to hold a civilization together after the fall of the big bad guys from the first book, is so cool.

Right now I am in book three and just enjoying watching this vast space opera play out across the generations. I appreciate how the sins of the father are passed down. The sins of the grandfather, even! Reading about Paul's children, twins who possess all the memories of their ancestors, it was funny to come across Alia confronting her evil grandfather the Baron. She knows his evil lives in her, and he even talks to her, wanting to work with her. In a large way it actually felt like the Rey-Palpatine connection in the last Star Wars movie. Wonder if JJ was ever into Dune? There are so many Star Wars things baked into Dune, from the desert planet to the chosen one to the mystical powers to the "I am your father!" even. But I don't blame George or anyone influenced by this masterpiece, it's quite an inspiring set of works.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Seriously. I may not have read a scene that intense since the Red Wedding 18 years ago.

A Storm of Swords is an intense book throughout! Possibly one of, if not the greatest fantasy book ever written.

Anyway, do you think you'll start up another book club in the coming months?

As a fun fact the voice actor who does the voice of Harkonen mentat Pieter De'Vries in the Audible full cast version is the same man who did HK47 in KOTOR.

FIRST OFF SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT READ THE FIRST TWO BOOKS AND PART OF BOOK THREE

I got the Dune book series for Christmas and have been making my way through it for the first time. Wow. All the hype, all the attention, it is all worth it. This is indeed a masterpiece. The writing is fluid and descriptive, poetic, otherworldly, yet memorable. The worldbuilding is just brilliant, he is constantly introducing new things and elegantly explaining their place in the world. The deft with which he manages to depict very subtle political intrigue is also astonishing. These are the parts of the book that are probably most "unfilmable" because they are essentially rooms full of people talking about space politics. George Lucas tried this with the prequels and failed, it doesn't make for reverting movie viewing. But with a book you can go into the mind of each character's head, reveal their training, the lineage and hidden meaning of subtle gestures, the way a character will react to another's speech and how it reveals knowledge to them. Herbert is a madman for pulling this off. Honestly, it sounds far more complicated than it is in the moment reading it. It was all very easy to follow, granted I want to point out I have already seen the David Lynch version of Dune. After reading the first book I think he did an admirable job and it is very close story-wise.

It is cool that he pulled a sort of "Fallen Hero" subversion in the second book, taking the hero Paul and having a sort of Monkey Paw situation out of the success of the whole "Galactic Jihad" thing. It's a realistic look at what would happen in such an event, an engineered messiah inherits the most coveted resource in the universe, and in pursuing a spiritual quest, he tames the beasts that rule the planet, effectively conquering both hearts and minds. How do you maintain a theocratic totalitarian space empire based out of one planet? How far do you let your subjects carry their religious ferver, while being pulled in various directions by the forces of fate, all while having twin babies? His revolution was glorious but even he was afraid of it's glorious and terrible success. To watch it all implode on him, and characters trying to hold a civilization together after the fall of the big bad guys from the first book https://freebooksummary.com/category/why-we-cant-wait, is so cool.

Right now I am in book three and just enjoying watching this vast space opera play out across the generations. I appreciate how the sins of the father are passed down. The sins of the grandfather, even! Reading about Paul's children, twins who possess all the memories of their ancestors, it was funny to come across Alia confronting her evil grandfather the Baron. She knows his evil lives in her, and he even talks to her, wanting to work with her. In a large way it actually felt like the Rey-Palpatine connection in the last Star Wars movie. Wonder if JJ was ever into Dune? There are so many Star Wars things baked into Dune, from the desert planet to the chosen one to the mystical powers to the "I am your father!" even. But I don't blame George or anyone influenced by this masterpiece, it's quite an inspiring set of works.
For me, the universe of Dune is a socially fantasy world that mirrors the social problems of our society. I recommend reading Martin Luther King King's book Why We Can't-Wait. Social problems and environmental disasters can make this cycle of novels prophetic. We often don't think about the consequences of artificial intelligence and robotics.

RAÏSanÏa

I've only read the first book and that was after watching the Lynch movie.

Really enjoyed both.

I've returned to the book several times and gotten more philosophically out of it with each read. It's one of those books where it's so well constructed around those themes that it can be approached from ways maybe the author didn't consciously intend. Or maybe he did. Like making a story around progressively difficult koans.

Top Bottom