• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELSPA Sales Awards UK (November 08)

Accident

Member
Feb 23, 2008
853
0
0
November 2008 Sales Award

Silver Status (100k)
(PSP) WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2008
(360) PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2009
(NDS) HARRY POTTER & THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
(360) GEARS OF WAR 2
(360) FALLOUT 3
(NDS) BEN 10: PROTECTOR OF THE EARTH
(WII) TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 09
(PS2) RATATOUILLE
(PS3) CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR
(360) CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR
(NDS) PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE CURIOUS VILLAGE
(PC) WORLD OF WARCRAFT: THE WRATH OF THE LICH KING
(PC) FOOTBALL MANAGER 2009
(PS3) LITTLEBIGPLANET
(PS3) STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED
(360) LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURES
(NDS) COOKING GUIDE: CAN'T DECID WHAT TO EAT?

Gold Status (200k)
(PS2) GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK
(360) GEARS OF WAR 2
(360) FABLE II
(360) CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR
(360) MASS EFFECT
(PS3) CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR
(NDS) TOUCHMASTER
(WII) SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ

Platinum Status (300k)
(PS3) FIFA 09
(PC) THE SIMS 2: NIGHTLIFE
(360) GEARS OF WAR 2
(WII) SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL
(360) CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR
(NDS) CARS

Double Platinum Status (600k)
(PS2)FIFA 08
(NDS)BIG BRAIN ACADEMY

Diamond Status (1.0m)

(WII) WII FIT
(WII) MARIO KART WII


http://www.elspa.com/?l=saleaward
 

Psychotext

Member
Jun 15, 2007
35,933
0
0
Cool. We can add that to the known sales stats for it. >100k in the UK. :)

Oh, and Wii Fit / Mario Kart join a pretty heavy duty list of diamond selling games...

GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 - PS2
GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY - PS2
GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS - PS2
THE SIMPSONS: HIT & RUN - PS2
DR KAWASHIMA'S BRAIN TRAINING - DS
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. - DS
WII PLAY - WII
MORE BRAIN TRAINING FROM DR KAWASHIMA - DS
MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES - WII
WII FIT - WII
MARIO KART WII - WII
 
Jun 11, 2004
2,788
0
0
Must be shipped figures, surely. No way has Football Manager shifted 100k as yet, and LBP entered at #4 and has slipped down steadily each week since.
 

Gaborn

Member
Apr 6, 2007
27,782
0
0
lol, Super Monkey Ball, nice to see it's done decently (even though the controls were never perfect on the Wii as they SHOULD have been)
 

Psychotext

Member
Jun 15, 2007
35,933
0
0
TheDrowningMan said:
Must be shipped figures, surely. No way has Football Manager shifted 100k as yet, and LBP entered at #4 and has slipped down steadily each week since.
These are Chart Track numbers... about as accurate for sold figures as you can get.
 

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jun 8, 2004
28,319
0
0
What's the usual percentage of UK sales vs. the rest of the Europe. Has anyone ever figured this out, at least approximately?
 
Jul 15, 2004
19,940
0
0
37
UK
Gaborn said:
lol, Super Monkey Ball, nice to see it's done decently (even though the controls were never perfect on the Wii as they SHOULD have been)
I'd like to see them have another pop at SMB with motion plus.

They really need to stop fucking with the mini games so much... the single player is always testing and fun, even the wider ledges, jumping and bosses didn't ruin that for me in Banana Blitz, but I demand satisfaction when it comes to Monkey Target. It was PERFECT first time around... ok even second time around. If they went to keep innovating, they should at least give us more gameplay options so we can enjoy it the way we like it.

Lord Error said:
What's the usual percentage of UK sales vs. the rest of the Europe. Has anyone ever figured this out, at least approximately?
The market used to be somewhere around 30% of the European market, with France and Germany slightly behind. I believe all three have probably grown in prominence over the years. But you can't really extrapolate European software figures from that. You can't just divide by 30 multiply by 100... that would assume that sales trends are the same across the continent. Which they arent. But if you just wanted to know roughly... I think its about 30%.


edit:
I might be wrong. In 2004 Screen Digest were claiming the UK market was bigger than France and Germany's combined.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/uk-games-market-has-grown-100-per-cent-in-six-years-says-elspa
 

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jun 8, 2004
28,319
0
0
radioheadrule83 said:
The market used to be somewhere around 30% of the European market, with France and Germany slightly behind. I believe all three have probably grown in prominence over the years. But you can't really extrapolate European software figures from that. You can't just divide by 30 multiply by 100... that would assume that sales trends are the same across the continent. Which they arent. But if you just wanted to know roughly... I think its about 30%.
If it's about 30%, it means LBP has sold much more in Europe compared to US, especially if it didn't sell just 100K, but 150K or more. I guess it's not that surprising.
 

Raist

Banned
Jan 27, 2007
24,543
0
0
Lord Error said:
What's the usual percentage of UK sales vs. the rest of the Europe. Has anyone ever figured this out, at least approximately?
Hard to tell. The UK VG market represents around 30% of the EU market (France and Germany being 2nd and 3rd, almost equal tho). But that's for the whole sales, HW, SW, peripherals etc. SO I don't know if we can extrapolate this to SW numbers.

radioheadrule83> Yeah well, things have changed a LOT since 2004 ;)


edit : wait, how come the november numbers are already out ?
 
Jun 11, 2004
2,788
0
0
Psychotext said:
These are Chart Track numbers... about as accurate for sold figures as you can get.
Well, I know, but they're sales awards. If they follow the same criteria as the silver/gold/platinum/diamond system which is used in the music world, awards go out for units shipped to retailers. Which is almost certainly the case with LBP and probably Football Manager being over 100k.
 

Spiegel

Member
Feb 20, 2007
7,957
0
970
Spain
TheDrowningMan said:
Must be shipped figures, surely. No way has Football Manager shifted 100k as yet, and LBP entered at #4 and has slipped down steadily each week since.
LBP entered at nº2 (after Gears) in the individual format chart
 

Raist

Banned
Jan 27, 2007
24,543
0
0
TheDrowningMan said:
Well, I know, but they're sales awards. If they follow the same criteria as the silver/gold/platinum/diamond system which is used in the music world, awards go out for units shipped to retailers. Which is almost certainly the case with LBP and probably Football Manager being over 100k.
No, they're tracking actual sales
 

Tideas

Banned
Jun 14, 2007
5,924
0
0
www.project-tideas.com
TheDrowningMan said:
Well, I know, but they're sales awards. If they follow the same criteria as the silver/gold/platinum/diamond system which is used in the music world, awards go out for units shipped to retailers. Which is almost certainly the case with LBP and probably Football Manager being over 100k.
you're really reaching dude. This is the same as NPD or Media Create.

So now LBP is 369k worldwide
 
Jun 11, 2004
2,788
0
0
Tideas said:
you're really reaching dude. This is the same as NPD or Media Create.

So now LBP is 369k worldwide
These are sales awards but whether they are sales to retailer or through to customer, I'm not sure. It's not precisely specified. All I'm saying is that if they're in line with, say, the BPI or RIAA gold/silver/platinum music sales certification system they'll be units sold to retailers.

I hope LBP has sold over 100k though. It deserves good news.
 

test_account

XP-39C²
Mar 22, 2007
23,613
2
1,130
TheDrowningMan said:
Must be shipped figures, surely. No way has Football Manager shifted 100k as yet, and LBP entered at #4 and has slipped down steadily each week since.
Looking at the chart position without having any sales numbers can be missleading when it comes to actual copies sold. As Spiegel already said, LBP charted at #2 (after Gears of War 2) in its first week in the UK Top 40 chart in the Individual Chart (and at #4 in the All Format Chart as you said :)). Gears of War 2 might have sold over 100k its first week in the UK, which means that LBP can possibly have sold maybe 50-60k copies in it first week in the UK if i should guess. LBP has been tracked for 3 weeks now or so, so if LBP opened at 50-60k, then it would have to sell about 25k in average in the 2nd and 3rd week. I dont think that is too impossible :)
 

Psychotext

Member
Jun 15, 2007
35,933
0
0
TheDrowningMan said:
These are sales awards but whether they are sales to retailer or through to customer, I'm not sure. It's not precisely specified.
It's sold at the till, to customers. Exactly the same way they work out the weekly charts (because the data is taken from the weekly sales numbers compiled by Chart Track).
 
Jun 11, 2004
2,788
0
0
test_account said:
Looking at the chart position without having any sales numbers can be missleading when it comes to actual copies sold. As Spiegel already said, LBP charted at #2 (after Gears of War 2) in its first week in the UK Top 40 chart in the Individual Chart (and at #4 in the All Format Chart as you said :)). Gears of War 2 might have sold over 100k its first week in the UK, which means that LBP can possibly have sold maybe 50-60k copies in it first week in the UK if i should guess. LBP has been tracked for 3 weeks now or so, so if LBP opened at 50-60k, then it would have to sell about 25k in average in the 2nd and 3rd week. I dont think that is too impossible :)
Yeah, I was trying to take other releases into account (hence me editing my post and putting a 'probably' before Football Manager when I realised it had debuted behind CoD and Lich King ;)).

I didn't realise LBP made #2 though - For some reason I had 4 in my head, not sure where that came from. It definitely has a chance of actually having sold 100k in that case. Above all else, I'm genuinely curious to know to whom (retailer or consumer) these awards are awarded for sales to.
 
Jul 15, 2004
19,940
0
0
37
UK
Kaako said:
Yay for LBP. Sell baby sell. I really want it to do well so Sony and MM will continue to support the game.
It was a small team that made it wasn't it? You've probably got nothing to worry about.
 
Jun 11, 2004
2,788
0
0
Psychotext said:
It's sold at the till, to customers. Exactly the same way they work out the weekly charts (because the data is taken from the weekly sales numbers compiled by Chart Track).
Ah, okay. Glad to know for sure.
 

Raist

Banned
Jan 27, 2007
24,543
0
0
Regarding the weight ok UK market, just found this

In 2007 interactive software sales in nine of the major European markets* reached an approximate total of €7.3 billion. These figures represent games software alone (i.e. the games themselves, excluding the revenue generated by sales of hardware). The UK alone represented €2.3 billion in revenue, followed by France (€1.6bn), Germany (€1.4bn), Spain (€0.7bn) and Italy €0.6bn).
http://www.afjv.com/press0805/080529_etude_joueurs_jeux_video_europe.htm
 

test_account

XP-39C²
Mar 22, 2007
23,613
2
1,130
TheDrowningMan said:
Yeah, I was trying to take other releases into account (hence me editing my post and putting a 'probably' before Football Manager when I realised it had debuted behind CoD and Lich King ;)).

I didn't realise LBP made #2 though - For some reason I had 4 in my head, not sure where that came from. It definitely has a chance of actually having sold 100k in that case. Above all else, I'm genuinely curious to know to whom (retailer or consumer) these awards are awarded for sales to.
Ah ok :)

The #4 spot is from the All Formats Charts, where multiplatform games (like Call of Duty: World at War just to take one example) are counted as one entry. LBP charted at #4 in the All Formats Chart, so i guess that is where you have the #4 spot from :)

I cant say for sure about if these ELSPA awards are to retailer or consumers, but i would assume that they are sold to consumers because if i'm not mistaken i think ELSPA get their numbers from Chart Track, and Chart Track tracks sales that are sold to consumers, but unfortunately i dont know 100% for sure :\


EDIT: I now see that Psychotext has said that there are actual sales numbers :) Thanks for the info, Psychotext! :)
 
Jun 5, 2006
4,260
0
0
Raist said:
So the UK is roughly a 3rd.

If that extrapolates similarly for LBP sales (which you really can't necessarily do accurately, but let's just play around), then LBP has already done 333k in all of Europe, which would be really great sales since it went on sale in early November.

I wouldn't be surprised to see LBP sales in the US equal roughly 200k for November, bringing the total WW sales by the end of November to close to a million.

LBP will probably do a million worldwide before the end of the year.
 

nli10

Member
Nov 16, 2005
3,244
0
0
fantastic for the Wii - the big 3 becomes officially the big 5.

Great for Brain Academy DS - it's turned out to be quite an evergreen hit afterall.

Layton has an encouraging start.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Feb 11, 2007
21,700
0
0
nipponsalesage.blogspot.com
So I'm thinking Wii Fit and Mario Kart will be battling it out for the top selling console software worldwide this generation. I think they both beat out GTA IV.
 
Jun 5, 2006
4,260
0
0
schuelma said:
So I'm thinking Wii Fit and Mario Kart will be battling it out for the top selling console software worldwide this generation. I think they both beat out GTA IV.

How much have those titles sold worldwide?
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Feb 11, 2007
21,700
0
0
nipponsalesage.blogspot.com
Private Hoffman said:
How much have those titles sold worldwide?

I'm at work so these are just off the top of my head, but I think both have done about 3M in the U.S, obviously 1M in the U.K, and then Mario Kart is almost at 2M in Japan and Wii Fit is almost to 3M.
 

Kildace

Member
May 26, 2007
1,219
0
0
Fifa 09 PS3 is Platinum but the 360 SKU doesn't even chart? Call of Duty World at War 360 charts twice? These are some odd numbers.

Edit : Fifa 09 360 is on the ELSPA list, just not on the one in the OP.
 

MidiSurf

Banned
Dec 5, 2006
1,923
0
0
TheDrowningMan said:
Must be shipped figures, surely. No way has Football Manager shifted 100k as yet, and LBP entered at #4 and has slipped down steadily each week since.
edit: nm
 

BishopLamont

Banned
Apr 22, 2007
7,422
0
0
TheDrowningMan said:
These are sales awards but whether they are sales to retailer or through to customer, I'm not sure. It's not precisely specified. All I'm saying is that if they're in line with, say, the BPI or RIAA gold/silver/platinum music sales certification system they'll be units sold to retailers.

I hope LBP has sold over 100k though. It deserves good news.
ELSPA sales awards comes from ChartTrack. They track sales just like NPD/MC/Famitsu and Nielsen Soundscan, I'm sure you know that one. If you're going to to doubt that it is sold-through numbers, then you might aswell doubt all these other tracking agencies.
 

BishopLamont

Banned
Apr 22, 2007
7,422
0
0
Psychotext said:
I wonder if any PS3 / 360 games will ever hit diamond.
Secret PS3 game will!

Seriously though, I totally missed how this meme started. Did someone just blurt it out, or was there more to it?
 

Psychotext

Member
Jun 15, 2007
35,933
0
0
BishopLamont said:
Seriously though, I totally missed how this meme started. Did someone just blurt it out, or was there more to it?
Was included in a list warz post in the NPD thread.
 

Walshicus

Member
Aug 10, 2007
16,895
1
0
35
Eng, EU
Kildace said:
Fifa 09 PS3 is Platinum but the 360 SKU doesn't even chart? Call of Duty World at War 360 charts twice? These are some odd numbers.

Edit : Fifa 09 360 is on the ELSPA list, just not on the one in the OP.
Came here to query this.
 

Kildace

Member
May 26, 2007
1,219
0
0
Spiegel said:
FIFA 09 360 won the award in October.

And CoD:Waw 360 has won three awards this month: Silver, Gold and Platinum
Thank you both for the clarification.