• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELSPA Sales Awards UK (November 08)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tideas said:
So now LBP is 369k worldwide
How could you calculate this? We don't even know how much exactly it sold in the UK, much less the rest of the Europe. From what I see, all this tells you is that is sold more than 100K and less than 200K in UK so far.

deepbrown

Lord Error said:
How could you calculate this? We don't even know how much exactly it sold in the UK, much less the rest of the Europe. From what I see, all this tells you is that is sold more than 100K and less than 200K in UK so far.
So between 300k and 600k in Europe. Plus US and the rest...around 600-900k worldwide.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BishopLamont said:
I'm all for estimates but, 600-900k is a bit of stretch.

Up to 700-750k by end of Nov shouldn't be too much of a stretch. If Europe's done around the same as the US, which I think it might have at least if it's done >100k in the UK alone.

It was probably past 500k at the end of Oct/early Nov.

deepbrown

BishopLamont said:
How is it exactly a stretch? The 900K might be a stretch....but that's why I said between 600k and 900k. It's not going to be lower than 600k.

spwolf

BishopLamont said:

lbp actually has negative sales... it has sold -4,500,000... it is new way of counting just for lbp :lol

UK is around 33% of overall console market in general, but it is hard to get real numbers from that since we dont know if it is 110k or 180k... But since it started at #2 I would guess that 200k will be passed soon.

Now with Europe in mind, UK is around 25% of playstation market, not 33%, Playstation products sell less in UK % wise than in rest of the Europe (hence LBP charting #1 in Germany for instance)... On the other hand, some other European markets like Spain and Italy, which are big on PS brand, buy a lot of sports games and not casual games - we know LBP sold +10k in "2nd week" in Italy.

So it is really hard to say this way or another... It could be 300k, it could be 500k in Europe so far... without hard numbers it is hard to say...

But comparing it to RC:F, LBP sold >100k in less than a month of sales (+2 weeks), while RC:F took something like 10 months or so.

deepbrown

spwolf said:
lbp actually has negative sales... it has sold -4,500,000... it is new way of counting just for lbp :lol

UK is around 33% of overall console market in general, but it is hard to get real numbers from that since we dont know if it is 110k or 180k... But since it started at #2 I would guess that 200k will be passed soon.

Now with Europe in mind, UK is around 25% of playstation market, not 33%, Playstation products sell less in UK % wise than in rest of the Europe (hence LBP charting #1 in Germany for instance)... On the other hand, some other European markets like Spain and Italy, which are big on PS brand, buy a lot of sports games and not casual games - we know LBP sold +10k in "2nd week" in Italy.

So it is really hard to say this way or another... It could be 300k, it could be 500k in Europe so far... without hard numbers it is hard to say...

But comparing it to RC:F, LBP sold >100k in less than a month of sales (+2 weeks), while RC:F took something like 10 months or so.

And where's Ratchet worldwide? 1million?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Private Hoffman said:
So the UK is roughly a 3rd.

If that extrapolates similarly for LBP sales (which you really can't necessarily do accurately, but let's just play around), then LBP has already done 333k in all of Europe, which would be really great sales since it went on sale in early November.

I wouldn't be surprised to see LBP sales in the US equal roughly 200k for November, bringing the total WW sales by the end of November to close to a million.

LBP will probably do a million worldwide before the end of the year.
And to think, MK Wii (And Wii Fit!!!) has scored a million in the UK alone, that is actually quite the injustice, actually.

Anyway, nice to see some decent loving for gems like Fable 2, Layton et al, but the COD:WaW sales are particularly strong, especially compared to the US.

Finally, it's nice to see exactly how much the UK contributes to the European VG market; Still over 30% and the dominant player in the EU, now could NOE/SCEE take a bit more notice of us? please?

Stop It said:
Finally, it's nice to see exactly how much the UK contributes to the European VG market; Still over 30% and the dominant player in the EU, now could NOE/SCEE take a bit more notice of us? please?
Ha... yeah, right! :lol

gofreak said:
Up to 700-750k by end of Nov shouldn't be too much of a stretch. If Europe's done around the same as the US, which I think it might have at least if it's done >100k in the UK alone.

It was probably past 500k at the end of Oct/early Nov.
Oh you're estimating til end of November? Sounds reasonable then.

jesusraz

Anyone know how well Layton did in the US, even roughly? It's great to see it performing so well in the UK after just a short time on sale, and reportedly selling out in many places. Hopefully it will spur Nintendo on to bring Inazuma Eleven over as well...

mr_bishiuk said:
I remember getting pillared for suggesting the UK was over 30% of the EU market
It's only true if it fits your current agenda and works in your favour I guess :lol .

deepbrown said:
And where's Ratchet worldwide? 1million?
Dunno, it still sits at silver in the UK (over 100k but under 200k), it debuted in the US at around 75k I think and is at 40k in Japan.

nli10

jesusraz said:
Anyone know how well Layton did in the US, even roughly? It's great to see it performing so well in the UK after just a short time on sale, and reportedly selling out in many places. Hopefully it will spur Nintendo on to bring Inazuma Eleven over as well...

I'd forgotten about that!

This as the summer game next year and Layton2 for Xmas 09 please. I might even manage to wait and not import from the USA if that is the case!!

deepbrown

Phife Dawg said:
It's only true if it fits your current agenda and works in your favour I guess :lol .

Dunno, it still sits at silver in the UK (over 100k but under 200k), it debuted in the US at around 75k I think and is at 40k in Japan.
UH...but it's a platinum title...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
we should definitely dig up the LBP thread where we went into sales prediction thread to see who gets closest to the end of year figure. I think it'd be an interesting read, both sides should be wrong i believe!

deepbrown said:
UH...but it's a platinum title...
I can only give you what I have, nothing more. That's it for Japan and it's safe to say the title is pretty much done selling and it hasn't been updated by ELSPA either so we know for sure it's under 200k in the UK. It'll be more than the first month numbers in the US for sure but I don't know if we ever got an update.

What are the requirements for Platinum titles on PS3 again?

spwolf

Phife Dawg said:
I can only give you what I have, nothing more. That's it for Japan and it's safe to say the title is pretty much done selling and it hasn't been updated by ELSPA either so we know for sure it's under 200k in the UK. It'll be more than the first month numbers in the US for sure but I don't know if we ever got an update.

What are the requirements for Platinum titles on PS3 again?

there are no ### requirements....

R&C sold a lot over the long time, it was also bundled a lot in Europe... I think someone from either Sony or Insomniac said it sold over 1.5 mil few months ago...

It reached ELSPA award in July or August.

Here in Eastern Europe, RC and Uncharted is current bundle with Bravia TV's+PS3 offer.

spwolf

DCharlie said:
we should definitely dig up the LBP thread where we went into sales prediction thread to see who gets closest to the end of year figure. I think it'd be an interesting read, both sides should be wrong i believe!

we should have done it 2 months ago, not now... since now people write crap like "it needs 5 million in sales to justify ..." :D

Spiegel

BishopLamont said:
IIRC, Sony changed the conditions of platinum title from a milli to 300k.

400k sold in Europe

That was said by Sony when the platinum games were released in September.

DCharlie said:

Here's the thread.

And just for fun, my own prediction:
Me said:
So about a couple of million worldwide, but it won't break into Halo/Smash Bros territory. But it will likely have crazy legs, so it might become like Super Smash Brothers Melee of the Gamecube and end up selling a very high amount over 5 years.

So it looks like initial sales are pretty much exactly as I stated. The big question is the "crazy legs". Right now it's not looking as likely as in September, but we'll see.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
we should have done it 2 months ago, not now... since now people write crap like "it needs 5 million in sales to justify ..."

... which is why we should dig up the thread.

everyone who argued one way or the other will look like a churl, i'm already sure my prediction for end of year is under what it will sell and i'm happy i'm under.

It'll cut through most of the crap.

spwolf

Omar Ismail said:
Here's the thread.

And just for fun, my own prediction:

So it looks like initial sales are pretty much exactly as I stated. The big question is the "crazy legs". Right now it's not looking as likely as in September, but we'll see.

i say between 1 and 1.5 million before end of the year, world wide of course... depends a lot on how good PS3 sells during holidays as well, it might be much bigger than that...

And bundles are already very much advertised in Europe, since PS3 has not dropped in price, they basically promote bundles as extra value.

Jokeropia said:
This Edge article pegged Uncharted at 730k in US + Europe through March 2008.

Anyway, so Wii now has as many million sellers in the UK as PS2.
Oh I remember that one.

Numbers are based on official records from NPD and information provided to Next-Gen by publishers. Publicly available data and analysis was also taken into account, as well as dead reckoning and sanity checking from the Next-Gen staff when exact counts (such as unified sales data for Europe) were difficult to corroborate, conflicting, or unavailable.

Not really a viable source.

nli10

Psychotext said:
Double diamond? Scary!

How many Wii have sold in the UK now? Would Sports already qualify?

Wii has no Double Plat games now that haven't made it to Diamond due to Kart & Fit being speedy sellers.

frankie_baby said:
whats more impressive is that not only is that the wii has been out (slightly) less than 2 years but that all these games have been out for ages and are still selling, surely a few of them will hit 2 million and elspa will have to make a new award
Pearl award here we come!

over in the pal charts thread its revealed mario&sonic is now at 1.3 million and seeing as wiiplay hit diamond 6 months ago i'd guess that was well over 1.5 by now i reckon we could see the uks first double diamond within 6 months

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
TheDrowningMan said:
Must be shipped figures, surely. No way has Football Manager shifted 100k as yet, and LBP entered at #4 and has slipped down steadily each week since.
Not really - if you were to put the Japanese and UK charts side by side and go on numbers alone you'd take from that LBP has done better in the UK than Japan (where it's sold <70,000).

I know people will say Japan is a bigger market than the UK, but as far as I'm aware the gap is closing. I read this article a few weeks back on EDGE Online. Makes a few good points.
An international market report has revealed that the world’s three largest game markets – Japan, the US and the UK – have experienced markedly contrasting rates of growth and decline for the third calendar-quarter.

The Top Global Markets Report – which aggregates data from the NPD Group, GfK Chart-Track as well as Enterbrain – reveals that the UK videogame market rose 15 percent over the same period last year. For the same July-September period, the US held a steady 8 percent growth over last year’s results while Japan saw its market tumble 21 percent.

The report has provided point-of-sale data for video game software sales in all three markets.

The UK

The UK experienced the largest aggregate growth of the three markets, climbing 15 percent from last year. Though the growth rate for Q3 2009 is positive, it has decelerated from last year’s Q3 climb of 34 percent.

Growth in the UK has come in spite of handheld software sales, with console software enjoying 26 percent gain and portable software dropping 1 percent.

“Taking into consideration the marked differences between the 3 territories, the UK market in particular is gearing up for a best-ever Q4 performance overall, even under the well-documented financial climate,” says Dorian Bloch, Business Group Director of GfK Chart-Track.

“We fully expect UK consumers to drive sales for the full year to unprecedented heights, especially considering the line-up of exciting single and multi-format new franchises currently hitting the market, not to mention the evergreen portfolio of Nintendo-published Wii & DS titles which have done such a great job of expanding the market to a far more mainstream consumer.”

The US

In contrast to the UK’s skewed handheld/home console market growth, the US experienced a more measured market rise for the third quarter. Console software grew 6 percent while portable software climbed 10 percent.

Yet the most promising – and exclusive – aspect of the US market’s performance was that its rate of growth continued to climb. Total third-quarter growth climbed to eight percent, up on last year’s five percent.

“In the U.S., third quarter total industry unit sales grew 8 percent versus 2007, even as the economy showed accelerating signs of recession,” says Anita Frazier, industry analyst for the NPD Group. “As would be expected at this point in the console lifecycle, games sales are starting to take the spotlight even as the average retail prices of games increased slightly. Heading into the critical fourth quarter, the U.S. games industry is on solid ground.”

Japan

A weakening Japanese software market was quantified with an alarming 21 percent drop from last year. This fall was largely attributed to a 33 percent decline in TV console software sales. And while this drop was expected to be balanced by handheld sales, the Top Global Markets Report shows that the portable market also fell, 13 percent.

Ricky K Tanimoto, Global Marketing Analyst for Enterbrain, tried to put the uneasy results into perspective: “Japan did experience sales declines in both software categories, but it is important to keep in mind that not only is Japan a more mature market than the U.S. and UK, but 2007 was a banner year for the Japanese software market, with the titles released in the third quarter of 2008 not being as highly anticipated as those released during the same time period in 2007.”

“In regards to expectations for the remainder of the calendar year, we estimate overall video game sales in Japan this holiday season will not be greatly affected by the world financial crisis, especially in the portable space. Portable software sales are particularly strong, and new portable hardware systems like Sony’s PSP-3000 and Nintendo’s DSi will prove to be driving market forces in Japan throughout the 2008 holiday season.”

Top Bottom