• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group has been talking to more than 150 companies about a potential acquisition.

Mattyp

Gold Member
This was always the end game, been buying up like crazy to inflate worth before a big combined sell off.

Just have no idea anything the groups released in the past 3 years anyone has any interest in? That said haven’t been keeping up with their acquisitions.

bitbydeath

Everyone cries about MS buying Bethesda, but thus is the real threat.

They already own so many studios. The right deal comes around and you can see hundreds of popular games end up on Stadia and the like.
Sounds like too many studios to look after. I couldn’t imagine Sony or Nintendo would be interested. Maybe Microsoft would just for the IP’s and then take a torch to them all?

onesvenus

This was always the end game, been buying up like crazy to inflate worth before a big combined sell off.

Just have no idea anything the groups released in the past 3 years anyone has any interest in? That said haven’t been keeping up with their acquisitions.
It's exactly the other way around, isn't it?
They are not trying to sell, they are buying more studios

Sentenza

They release games constantly and with Biomutant they have one of their (supposed) biggest releases ever just around the corner.
It's just that almost their entire "portfolio" is made out of a constellation of fairly small studios working on the sort of low budget productions this type of forum rarely pays much attention to.

Piranha Bytes (creators of Gothic, Risen and ELEX), everything Deep Silver, Koch Media, Saber Interactive, etc, etc.

EDIT - here's a list from Wikipedia of their studios so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracer_Group
Not necessarily up to date.

EDIT 2 - Oh, right. And now they own Gearbox too.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why combined sell-off?

They are a holding company; they will milk profits off some, try to pump the value up on others for sale, etc just like every other holding company on the planet.

“Combined sell offs” would be incredibly strange lol

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Why combined sell-off?

They are a holding company; they will milk profits off some, try to pump the value up on others for sale, etc just like every other holding company on the planet.

“Combined sell offs” would be incredibly strange lol

My bad I read the first post incorrectly with my sleep deprived brain 😂

My point still stands I think they’ll do a combined sell off of the entire company eventually. Good and bad all together, like any other investment group.

Kagey K

Banned
Sounds like too many studios to look after. I couldn’t imagine Sony or Nintendo would be interested. Maybe Microsoft would just for the IP’s and then take a torch to them all?
Whoever signed the big deal with them are going to end up with a shitton of exclusives.

They have just swallowed so many small to medium developers on the last couple years.

They could release a console tomorrow and have more studios working for them than Sony and MS combined.

Fredrik

I think it’s because they’re so big that it’s difficult to know what they’re apart of now. You’ve probably heard of Valheim, which was the biggest thing on Steam, published by Coffee Stain which Embracer acquired. And Biomutant is coming out in just a few days, looks amazing if you ask me.

Denton

Honestly doubt Wingefors is interested in selling. He strikes me more as a guy who wants to stay independent and build a legacy.

So far I like his approach - letting studios self-manage, provide support, but no interference creatively.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
My bad I read the first post incorrectly with my sleep deprived brain 😂

My point still stands I think they’ll do a combined sell off of the entire company eventually. Good and bad all together, like any other investment group.
Seems like there plan is to be much bigger than something anyone would sell off completely.

Holding companies exist for various reasons (some literally own one company, maybe 2) but the ones that buy dozens of companies basically use them like stocks they can heavily influence the value of.

Embraced has indicated they want big puns, they want other holding companies under them, etc.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
It's funny how you don't see people cry consolidation or monopoly as they gobble all these studios up.
People don't care if it's a third party because that doesn't practically guarantee their games to be limited to certain platforms.

coffinbirth

What even is this thread though?
I mean, they are acquiring more studios, not being acquired, right? Is this a massive reading comprehension failure on my end or the op?

xrnzaaas

It's time to build new studios from scratch, like The initiative or Heaven.
That's the cycle with many famous names in the gaming business. Your studio is taken over by a big company, you don't want to work on big soulless projects you've been given (like on another CoD ;)), you leave with other talented devs and start your new smaller company, that company gradually grows and takes on bigger projects until it's bought by another big publisher. The cycle restarts.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
That's the cycle with many famous names in the gaming business. Your studio is taken over by a big company, you don't want to work on big soulless projects you've been given (like on another CoD ;)), you leave and start your new smaller company, that company gradually grows and takes on bigger projects until it's bought by another big publisher. The cycle restarts.
Yeah. We're seeing it play out quite a bit, too. Blizzard has had a ton of high profile departures and now many of them are starting new studios or groups. Dreamhaven being by far the biggest story surrounding that. Literally built by one of the guys who co-founded Blizzard and staffed by tons of former Blizzard devs. Trying to establish itself as a big publisher. Two of its own studios right off the bat and currently partnered with three other independent studios. Respawn was made by the guys who created Infinity Ward. Of course they were later bought by EA. Kojima left Konami and reformed his studio. The list goes on. Many of these studios being acquired will eventually shut down as talent shifts elsewhere and they can't produce anymore. Only some will remain for many years. Like you said, a cycle that repeats.

OceanGaming

Honestly doubt Wingefors is interested in selling. He strikes me more as a guy who wants to stay independent and build a legacy.

So far I like his approach - letting studios self-manage, provide support, but no interference creatively.
The Gaffers that think that Embracer is intending to sell is hilariously mistaken.

They are aiming to be the biggest European gaming conglomerate, might even make their own PC/console hybrid.

Great Hair

Banned
excited bread crumbs GIF

oldergamer

That sounds really dumb. I'm calling BS on this twitter post. No company is large enough to approach that many other companies and go through the entire process of due diligence to make that happen.

Purchases take months to work out.

CAB_Life

That's a metric ton of IPs. Either MS or Sony would be stupid to not scoop this up. I could see Amazon outbidding them all to fortify their studios, too.

oldergamer

I mean, the tweet clearly says they've been talking about potential acquisition with some companies.

So it's something that has already been going for quite a few months.
I'm still calling bullshit on it. The number is unrealistic. Potential acquisition is fine, but 150 companies being in the mix is a unrealistic number. Think about it.

I'm still calling bullshit on it. The number is unrealistic. Potential acquisition is fine, but 150 companies being in the mix is a unrealistic number. Think about it.

They aquired more than 20 studios last year and from the looks of it they're going to aquire another 20 if not more again this year

It's not unrealistic at all. It's just talks. I'm pretty sure Lars isn't pulling this out of his ass

Last edited:
Top Bottom