• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer sees ‘great potential’ in Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal sequels, remakes and remasters (VGC)

kingfey

Banned
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...eidos-montreal-sequels-remakes-and-remasters/

Embracer Group has said it’s envisaging releasing sequels, remakes, remasters, spin-offs and more for the Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal IPs it’s set to acquire.

The Swedish company announced this month that it plans to acquire a large part of Square Enix’s western development arm for $300 million.

The deal will see Embracer become the owner of Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal, Square Enix Montreal, and a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors commented on its potential plans for the iconic franchises during the company’s fourth quarter earnings report on Thursday.

“We recently announced the acquisition of Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal and Square Enix Montreal, including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain and other IPs,” he said.

“The announcement got an overwhelming and positive response. We see great potential, not only in sequels but also in remakes, remasters, spin-offs as well as transmedia projects across the group.”

Wingefors said Embracer expects the acquisition, which includes around 1,100 employees across three studios in eight locations around the world, to close between July and September.

According to Embracer, the Tomb Raider franchise has sold around 88 million units and Deus Ex has sold some 12 million units.

When the deal was announced, Square Enix America and Europe CEO Phil Rogers called Embracer “the perfect fit for our ambitions: make high-quality games, with great people, sustainably, and grow our existing franchises to their best versions ever”.

Crystal Dynamics said in April that the next Tomb Raider game has entered development using Unreal Engine 5.

“This new engine translates into next level storytelling and gameplay experiences”, claimed Dallas Dickinson, Tomb Raider franchise general manager at Crystal Dynamics.

“Our goal is to push the envelope of fidelity and to deliver the high-quality cinematic action adventure experience that fans deserve both from Crystal Dynamics and the Tomb Raider franchise.”

I don't understand the logic of buying studios making unprofitable games and then putting money into sequels of the same thing. Is their strategy to make cheaper sequels? Is their strategy to just somehow magically sell many more copies than when SQEX published it?

They just seem to have zero concern for financial risk on projects, and that's on top of all their acquisitions. Nothing about it really makes sense. Are they going to make games in the same IP, but with a new approach that is somehow better?

DaGwaphics

I don't understand the logic of buying studios making unprofitable games and then putting money into sequels of the same thing. Is their strategy to make cheaper sequels? Is their strategy to just somehow magically sell many more copies than when SQEX published it?

They just seem to have zero concern for financial risk on projects, and that's on top of all their acquisitions. Nothing about it really makes sense. Are they going to make games in the same IP, but with a new approach that is somehow better?

I think the TR trilogy sold more than enough to turn a profit, even if a lot of sales were discounted. Possibly Square just spent more than they should have making and marketing those games. They averaged over 10m a piece if I remembering correctly, not that many games can do better.

Guilty_AI

The way you handle IPs and the type of approach can make a lot of difference. That said, embracer's M.O. seem to be having a lot of studios under their wing with controlled budgets and general freedom to do whatever they want.

SQEX handled a lot of these IPs and teams very poorly (Like stopping Eidos from making a Deus Ex sequel and putting them into marvel games and GaaS), or just leaving a lot of money in the table when they could be remaking, or just remastering, a whole bunch of old classics. I'd say the future of these games now is more in the hands of the studios than Embracer.

DukeNukem00

Banned

Because their budgets for everything is a fraction of what most other would put into games. They buy thousands of ip's to get small revenue from each of them. Its not a lot if you only take a few of those, but if you have hundreds and thousands of ips, they add up. Most of their dev houses seem to be in europe, cheaper. And the games have low budgets. If you look at Darksiders 2 which had a 50 million budget and then play a bit of Darksiders 3, its very apparent how cheap they are.

This publisher is among the worst that could have bought these ip's. You're gonna get a cheap Deus Ex sequel to Mankind Divided where the only choices of action are gonna be full assault or that sewer in the left.

Because their budgets for everything is a fraction of what most other would put into games. [...] You're gonna get a cheap Deus Ex sequel to Mankind Divided where the only choices of action are gonna be full assault or that sewer in the left.
That makes sense. I wasn't sure.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I really hope they can make some great games out of them. It'll be good to all gamers, but something inside me doubts that.

It's time for a new Soup Reaver.
48559-seinfeld-soup-nazi.jpg

I would rather Embracer own the IP now than SE just closing the studios.
It's not ideal but more games in the Tomb Raider/Deus Ex/Soul Reaver is better than being dormant IP. Unless they go the gacha mobile route which surely can never happen... right?

yurinka

The last TR trilogy sold 38 millions. Selling an average of 12M copies is a lot (more than any Embracer did), and if you are unprofitable with this means you are a total disaster managing the costs. Putting some order there could be easily translated to big profits.

Specially when they whole series sold 88 millions and has multiple movies, meaning it's one of the most popular series of the gamng business.

Embracer has a history of getting every year more revenue while delivering profits every year. They seem to know how to manage their over a hundred of teams. Probably won't take dumb decisions like to force Crystal Dynamics make the Avengers a GaaS game.

V4skunk

Banned
Need a new Legacy of Kain game.
People say new SoulsReaver? That story is finished, Kain gets the SoulReaver in Defiance. Raziel doesn't exist, he is Kains sword.

DaGwaphics

Because their budgets for everything is a fraction of what most other would put into games. They buy thousands of ip's to get small revenue from each of them. Its not a lot if you only take a few of those, but if you have hundreds and thousands of ips, they add up. Most of their dev houses seem to be in europe, cheaper. And the games have low budgets. If you look at Darksiders 2 which had a 50 million budget and then play a bit of Darksiders 3, its very apparent how cheap they are.

This publisher is among the worst that could have bought these ip's. You're gonna get a cheap Deus Ex sequel to Mankind Divided where the only choices of action are gonna be full assault or that sewer in the left.

I'm not that familiar with them, they haven't done any good games?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Well that’s the thing, big publishers want big budgets and big profits, while Embracer at the moment only cares about profits no matter how tiny.

I’m not a financial expert (far from it!) but they report EBIT 4B sek/year. The hurdle is that they have like 12B sek in debt.

jaysius

Banned
Jesus Christ... more remakes? I would like a Deus Ex 1 and 2 remake, but that's it the other games are fine as is.

Kokoloko85

Totally.
Soul Reaver 1&2 remake would make more money that the figure they showed the IP‘s being bough. Same with Dues Ex
Let alone do a good job with new Hitmans, Dues Ex and Tomb Raider and your golden

Andrenicks

Neo Member
Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain Legacy of Kain

Fredrik

This. And then bring back og Lara in a new game focused on exploration and puzzle solving kind of the first games.

video games GIF
This ☝️
Dual pistols too. Seems so obvious what needs to be done, Embracer and CD just need to pay attention to what gamers who actually like the IP are requesting;
Tombs, platforming, puzzles, traps, rewarding exploration, ancient treasures, myths, wild animals, and original sassy Lara with dual pistols and attitude and all.

For some reason they’ve tried to turn the IP into a cover based third person shooter. The original game that started it all had auto aiming pistols and minimal focus on the shooting.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There's a reason why they left those 3 games and did ANOTHER reboot after that.

Because of Underworld which was released unpolished. Legend and Anniversary are still well regarded by most fans. Hell, Legend at the time was one of the best selling games in the series. TR 2013 was a sales juggernaut and did well critically, but the nu-reboot trilogy popularity has gone down with every entry.

I'd be super down for a remaster of the original games like you. But just cuz they changed direction after a bad apple isn't indicative of the quality of the whole harvest. Afterall we had Chronicles and Angel of Darkness...

00_Zer0

There's a reason why they left those 3 games and did ANOTHER reboot after that.

If anything i'd rather them to remaster the original games.
I would like the first 3 remastered as well, but the legends trilogy would be great to remaster too due to all the bugs in those games thanks to Nixxes.

Filben

I want a remaster of the Tomb Raider Legend trilogy. As of now there's no definitive edition, and these games aren't even available on PS4/5/Now. PC versions are botched except for Underworld and X360 is playable on XOne/Series but low res and low fps.

Also Soul Reaver deserves a remake. Part one is missing dynamic music from PSX on PC, and PSX and PC both missing the better textures from DC. Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance need to be improved in combat and general gameplay.

And Adam's story in Deus Ex should be brought to conclusion.

If all that happens, SE could make up for their latest shit efforts, policies and cash grabs and I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
can we have another game similar to tomb raider guardian of light or temple of osiris? but this time, less puzzle, more diablo like gameplay with item and equips etc?

yes, I love diablo games and cant wait for Diablo 4

Remaster Deus Ex: Human Revolution in UE5 and begin work on an open-world sequel to Mankind Divided also in UE5. The promise of a dystopian future come to life that was promised with Cyberpunk 2077 can still happen if the right passionate and dedicated people are put in charge of a Deus Ex sequel.

Jaybe

Gold Member
Remaster Deus Ex: Human Revolution in UE5 and begin work on an open-world sequel to Mankind Divided also in UE5. The promise of a dystopian future come to life that was promised with Cyberpunk 2077 can still happen if the right passionate and dedicated people are put in charge of a Deus Ex sequel.
Didn’t Mankind end on a cliffhanger? As you say they should remaster the two games and put a bow on the story with a 15 to 20 hrs game and sell it as a complete package.

You want profits Embrace, make a bunch of PS1 era low-poly Tomb Raiders with the grid movement. You can make a quintology for about fitty cent. :p How many do you need to sell to make some money?

Joking aside, I'd truly love some more low poly TR games.

kiphalfton

Seems to be all anyone is asking for these days.

Probably because the state of the world and that's what's "safe". Most new IP's are open world garbage, so can't say I blame most people for wanting this.

No. As has been made 100% evident by Halo Infinite, MGS V, Final Fantasy XV, etc., making the switch to open world is clearly a mistake and I hate that people keep asking this of games that have no need for it. Open world is unnecessarily limiting scope, narrative, focus, and fluidity of how things unfold.

Last edited:
Because of Underworld which was released unpolished. Legend and Anniversary are still well regarded by most fans. Hell, Legend at the time was one of the best selling games in the series. TR 2013 was a sales juggernaut and did well critically, but the nu-reboot trilogy popularity has gone down with every entry.
Just like the Anniversay trilogy went Legend >> Anniversary >> Underworld. Except the best selling game of that trilogy still sold worse than the worst selling game of the last trilogy (Shadow of the Tomb Raider) which is at 8 or 9M i think.

begotten

Remake and expand on LOK Blood Omen to play like The Witcher 3 and they'll have the greatest game of all time on their hands.

Reactions: TLZ

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just like the Anniversay trilogy went Legend >> Anniversary >> Underworld. Except the best selling game of that trilogy still sold worse than the worst selling game of the last trilogy (Shadow of the Tomb Raider) which is at 8 or 9M i think.

Anniversary sold terrible actually haha even worse than Underworld. That whole trilogy came out at a weird cross-gen time so you had like two graphical versions of Legend, a Wii version of Anniversary which was like a totally different game altogether, and you can't forget the 360 exclusive DLC for Underworld :^)

Ezekiel_

Banned

I think you bring great points.

I loved the TR reboot trilogy, but those games released on everything, were regularly discounted, were offered on just about every subscription service, were given free on EGS. What's more to extract from them?

I guess they could do a current gen remaster and try to turn a bit of profit with that, but they'll have to really impress to hope to be able to re-re-resale them.

Hugare

Remaking the original Deus EX and Tomb Raider games is such easy money

Both series has solid gameplay foundations, so all that they need to do is update those graphics

Deus EX with better graphics would have better gameplay than 90% of the games on the market nowadays

Also, I NEED Human Revolution on my PS5

Now

Top Bottom