• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Splatoon Switch is not a sequel, allegedly. Same for Mario Kart.

J@hranimo

Banned
Hmm....while I understand why this is happening for Splatoon, I still feel like it deserves a full blown sequel.

If they address some issues I have with the game feature-wise then I'll get over it.

Kyoufu

Obviously not. There's a lot of people who don't own a Wii U and have yet to play these games so the smart thing is to port those over first and then think about what to do with sequels.

LordKasual

Banned
sigh...I actually LIKE the concept of this Nintendo console, but we're looking at another Gamecube situation, aren't we?

Tons of ports, all of which are inferior to their counterparts, a few great 1st party games, but the system slowly falls off as the bigger titles that push the PS4/Xbone aren't able to be ran on the hardware.

Now that Sakurai is probably done with smash, lets hope Bandai Namco and Lord Harada will remaster the game into something interesting

Sterok

Why call these ports if there's new content, new graphics, and new mechanics? If true, I don't get Nintendo.

Peltz

Emily did show she is a legitimate insider this week. I'm not surprised by this news.

Those are great core games that would be even better with more content. Especially Mario Kart 8. Extra courses for that game would be fantastic.

Wiz

Would be cool to the Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch (yikes, what a title), have all the stages from both Wii U/3DS, all characters, and a couple new ones (Ice Climbers, Inklings)

Meeeeeeeeh.
I already put 60 hours on Splatoon and Mario Kart 8. And at least twice that on Smash Bros. I won't buy these.

It's not for you, it's for the millions and millions and millions that skipped Wii u
Did I mention millions?

I owned all these games but I'd buy them again because I traded them in ages ago
Just fix the 2 map in splatoon online, never made it to ranked because I got tired of the same 2 map a day thing

Zia

Good. We don't need a Splatoon or a Mario Kart sequel. Build on those games throughout the Switch's lifespan.

Anth0ny

Cool. this is the right move. Quick, easy, cheap, give people what they want, and fill out that launch lineup/window.

Smash w/ Ice Climbers pls.

Luigiv

Hmm....while I understand why this is happening for Splatoon, I still feel like it deserves a full blown sequel.

If they address some issues I have with the game feature-wise then I'll get over it.

Patience my child. The Splatoon team only wrapped up DLC for the Wii U version this past January. 14 months is not enough time to develop a sequel, that comes later.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
An enhanced Splatoon with added content will suck me in and I'll probably not play anything else on the Switch for a year or so, not gonna lie.

This is great news for casuals. They didn't get to play these big multiplayer titles who Nintendo wants to get on board right away. For us maybe not as good, but I want to see what they've added.

RedFury

This thing better be under 300 if I have to rebuy my entire library full price just to get what would essentially be a DLC add on. That's some hot shit right there.

kunonabi

Pretty much what I figured. I'll just skip them and wait for a price when more actual switch releases are out. Smash would be an exception if Simon Belmont is added.

Ydelnae

wow that is lame as fuck

We are still going to get new games from those franchises and there's no need to keep remaking "the same game" every generation. Smash Bros 4 is very recent, also. We can live with re-releases of these three titles to help expand the NS library.

I would understand people being mad at Kid Icarus Uprising, Captain Toad or Metroid Other M enhanced ports. But I like how they are just going to update these three titles, to make studios free to try new ideas. Maybe I don't this is a bad idea since I didn't buy a WiiU and I also skipped Smash Bros. 4 on 3DS.

Betty

Banned
Why call these ports if there's new content, new graphics, and new mechanics? If true, I don't get Nintendo.

Because they're still largely the same games, just as GTAV and Last of Us remastered are largely the same just better looking with some new features.

Thraktor

Not exactly a bad thing if you never had a Wii U.

Which is most of Nintendo's target audience. Seems like a sensible way to ensure a steady stream of good quality first party titles for the first year or so. I'd actually be tempted to double dip on a couple of Wii U ports, depending on what they add to them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Of course they wont have like 5-6 new games of their biggest IPs ready at launch - lets be honest BotW alone shits on the complete WiiU and 3DS launchlineups.

Getting established evergreens like Mario Kart and Splatoon early as possible in the plattform is the right decision - this system is supposed to replace WiiU asap.

Top Bottom