• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Why you should be excited about NX’s software output

Instead of focusing our attention solely on hardware, we should really be having a discussion about NX’s software. Based on things I’ve heard, I am 100% confident that the NX’s software output will blow away the Wii U’s software output (which was never impressive to begin with). In a single year, the NX will build a larger library of games than Wii U produced in three or four years.

This isn’t some hyperbolic statement. This isn’t speculation nor blind optimism. These aren’t my personal fan wishes either. Furthermore, my negative feelings toward the Wii U have zero influence on any of the information mentioned below.

Here is what I’ve been told by my sources close to Nintendo:

• The big fundamental focal point (and overall goal) behind NX is to vastly increase the software output from Nintendo’s first party teams and studios.
  • To accomplish this, the entire process of how Nintendo develops and produces software has gone through radical changes.
  • There is a new strategy that was put in place to create and release first party software at a faster rate.
  • Multiple unannounced Wii U projects were moved over to NX.
  • The NX could potentially see the highest output of first party software in the company’s history. (I’m talking about the entire lifespan of NX. Not just one or two years.)

Lots more here (including commentary on our dearly departed friend, 10k):

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/04/20/nxs-software-output/

Yeah, biggest reason why I'm excited.
Their recent restructuring was probably too recent to have seen any results for Wii U, but hopefully the first year of NX will have a steady stream of content with no situations like: "Here's MK8 and a great e3, everyone's excited about our console for the first time in years...let's not release anything until september"
Emily didn't confirm the partially shared library, but I'm fairly sure that's how they'll get those results.
It dangerously sounds like they're gonna ignore third parties again.

If true.
Nothing in the article suggests that.
Maybe that they won't need 3rd parties as much, but increasing output is something they've needed for awhile

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder too if virtual console will be ported at a higher rate. That would definitely add some of the output.

If true.

If that means they'll focus 100% on a vast amount of first party software, I'm personally ok with it. I understand that this is not what some people want and it may end up being a bad strategy overall....but I'm speaking purely from a selfish point of view. I'm happy to get my third party fix on my PS4 and XB1.

That being said, Nintendo always claims "this time will be different, we promise!" when it comes to first party support during the early days of a new platform and they always let us down.

Dabanton

If true.

Maybe 3rd parties are ignoring them? The Nintendo base just doesn't seem interested in third party output in most cases.

I'm expecting a half ass effort from them again. Considering this is how the Wii U was sunk that's pretty worrying....

Nanashrew

Banned
Sounds right. Iwata talked about this a lot in his investor stuff and from what Emily is saying, it's in motion.

I believe this is the result of unifying their hardware teams. This is what I'm most interested in when it comes to NX.

This too.

Zalman

I believe this is the result of unifying their hardware teams. This is what I'm most interested in when it comes to NX.

Madao

and yet no mention of the unification of their handheld and console ecosystems

i don't believe they'll improve their software output unless they release games from both ecosystems for the console and handheld. that was what most were hoping with the whole "everything is under the same architecture now" stetements.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
You know I love Nintendo but we've heard this shit every gen. Oh oh we'll have more output. We'll have more games. If anything their output has gotten worse each gen. I really do think they just need to bite the bullet and go third party. Let others focus on the consoles, they make the games. It's a win win.

Fandangox

Finally a new F-Zero confirmed

MnklskW.gif

this is the year my friends

ITS BEEN 13 YEARS

orochi91

Doesn't sound like much 3rd party support, but that's all right.

Nintendo's strength is their robust 1st-party IPs.

NX sounds like it's shaping up to be an outstanding console.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well I mean, Nintendo's total software output is high when you realize how many games they make for portable systems. If all the business about unified architecture reducing development overhead is true, there should be a visible change in their output for a game console. Especially if we are moving out of the era in which two of every major game have to be created at the same time.

i don't believe they'll improve their software output unless they release games from both ecosystems for the console and handheld. that was what most were hoping with the whole "everything is under the same architecture now" stetements.

This is true. The only way I see an increased output is by unifying all of their teams under one ecosystem.

Sounds right. Iwata talked about this a lot in his investor stuff and from what Emily is saying, it's in motion.

This too.
A lot of the cool stuff we've been hearing was set in place by Iwata looking ahead. Too bad he didn't get to see a lot of it come to fruition.

Nanashrew

Banned

We've heard nothing about the handheld. We won't be hearing about that stuff for awhile.

dc89

Sounds interesting.
I'd totally be in for something like a Virtual Console equivalent of PlayStation Now - where you can access and stream a bunch of games from all different Nntendo platforms. This will probably never happen but it won't stop me wishing.

Calvero

Banned
If that means they'll focus 100% on a vast amount of first party software, I'm personally ok with it. I understand that this is not what some people want and it may end up being a bad strategy overall....but I'm speaking purely from a selfish point of view. I'm happy to get my third party fix on my PS4 and XB1.

That being said, Nintendo always claims "this time will be different, we promise!" when it comes to first party support during the early days of a new platform and they always let us down.

Luckily it's not them claiming it!

Maxinas

More first party software is a plus, but i hope it doesn't mean there will be a drop in quality over quantity.
I can see 1-2 first party nintendo games being released every month after initial launch or so would seem plausible, the wii u for example only has star fox zero releasing in April, and absolutely no 1st party games in may, june has 2 nintendo games ( tokyo mirage sessions and mario & sonic), but then after that we have absolutely no idea how barren the wii u software output will be from july to the end of this year.

Madao

this is the year my friends

ITS BEEN 13 YEARS

interestingly, it's almost 20 years since Nintendo's internal studios had a stab at F-Zero (FZX).

i wonder if they'll ever consider taking it in-house now that no one outside seems to want to do it (like the burnout dev thing)

SO in other words, specs are xbox one level, and we should totally ignore that and just hope for the best 1st party games? lol

Heck, that'd be ok with me. Give me tons of first party Nintendo games and I'd fine with an XB1-level console.

I have so many issues with Wii U but the specs really aren't a part of them.

cordy

Banned
Wonderful.

I don't know about anybody else but I only buy Nintendo consoles for their first-party software so if they have that I'm good. Now if they have great third-party software as well I'll be even happier. A win is a win for me, I just need that money to purchase these things given I'm going to be busy for later on this year.

Also, Emily said she wasn't improved with the Wii U's software which can be a good or bad thing I guess. I mean, did anyone really like the Wii U's games? I can see Smash, Mario Maker, Splatoon and 3D World, Bayonetta 2 and all but what else did it have?

Neoxon

SO in other words, specs are xbox one level, and we should totally ignore that and just hope for the best 1st party games? lol
A bit of a leap in logic, especially considering that a legit leaker who gave us Wii & GameCube info back in the day mentioned that the NX Console's CPU is a step above the PS4's. I may sometimes be a pessimist here on GAF, but even I know my limits.

Anth0ny

this sounds great for me, personally.

but no one is going to buy this thing if it's a first party machine. doesn't matter if they crank out more than ever.

at the very least, they need to create some new IPs that cover some of the more popular genres in video games right now. but I get a feeling it's just going to be more mario platformers and fire emblems at a faster pace.

soultron

Banned
Increased first party output isn't something I'm concerned with. I want it to be easy for third parties to develop their games and for a Nintendo-specific hardware feature not to dissuade them from doing so.

Bitanator

If it is anything like the rush jobs Mario Tennis got, they can keep most of the games. If they found a way to make games with lots of content in a fast efficient way then I'm excited. Whatever gets Fire Emblem NX in my hands

this sounds great for me, personally.

but no one is going to buy this thing if it's a first party machine. doesn't matter if they crank out more than ever.

at the very least, they need to create some new IPs that cover some of the more popular genres in video games right now. but I get a feeling it's just going to be more mario platformers and fire emblems at a faster pace.

Well yeah, this thing needs new IP, popular IP, and dormant IP.

Top Bottom