• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem draws the red line in Hip-Hop Awards cypher

Alo0oy

Banned
One of the replies to the original tweet.

Replying to @BET @Eminem
I voted for trump but Eminem went OFF! I respect it and his opinion.

I guess he won't be able to completely shake off these pathetic losers.

One of the replies to the original tweet.

I guess he won't be able to completely shake off these pathetic losers.

I always wonder how many of Em's white male fans know that Stan is about them.

Most of these problematic white men aren't very self aware, are they?

TraBuch

Banned
Eminem hasn't released a good album in nearly 15 years. The freestyle was corny as fuck and poorly delivered, when compared to [insert just about any noteworthy freestyle this year]. Lyrically he's always been questionable, he's shown limited growth, etc etc. Not trying to hear a 40+ year old man rap about assaulting women, farting, etc.

I like the message though. So I won't hate on him. But Eminem is the greatest example of white perception. He's spent his career mainly rapping about drugs, violence (against women), and schoolyard humor yet white people will argue he raps about real things unlike those (black) rappers who rap about nonsense. I'll give Eminem credit for recognizing this and discussing it on tracks like White America, but still...
Paragraph of hating on him followed up by "I like his message so I won't hate on him."

Eminem hasn't released a good album in nearly 15 years. The freestyle was corny as fuck and poorly delivered, when compared to [insert just about any noteworthy freestyle this year]. Lyrically he's always been questionable, he's shown limited growth, etc etc. Not trying to hear a 40+ year old man rap about assaulting women, farting, etc.

I like the message though. So I won't hate on him. But Eminem is the greatest example of white perception. He's spent his career mainly rapping about drugs, violence (against women), and schoolyard humor yet white people will argue he raps about real things unlike those (black) rappers who rap about nonsense. I'll give Eminem credit for recognizing this and discussing it on tracks like White America, but still...

Cool man, I love freestyle rapping. Can you send me the top 3-5.

HiiiLife

This also true.

Relapse > The Eminem Show tough

Never got the love for the latter (Em is not a good producer) and it would be even clearer without the dumb accents on the former.

But most of his stuff aged pretty badly. The more time passes, the more I realize that the SSLP was his best album and the only listenable one for me right now.

Did trump say anything?

Trump don't want no problems with another rich white celebrity who gets more props for being a rude asshole than he is.

Pretty amazing that it takes a white guy like Em to rap against Trump for a liberal white guy like Keith Olberman to finally respect our genre of music, like Eminem was the first time a rapper every said anything about politics. so typical

____

Relapse > The Eminem Show tough

Never got the love for the latter (Em is not a good producer) and it would be even clearer without the dumb accents on the former.

But most of his stuff aged pretty badly. The more time passes, the more I realize that the SSLP was his best album and the only listenable one for me right now.

+ His material does age poorly
+ He's definitely matured as a person re: content of his music
+ Relapse was fuckin' dope
+ His producing skills are embarrassing

TraBuch

Banned
Trump don't want no problems with another rich white celebrity who gets more props for being a rude asshole than he is.

Pretty amazing that it takes a white guy like Em to rap against Trump for a liberal white guy like Keith Olberman to finally respect our genre of music, like Eminem was the first time a rapper every said anything about politics. so typical
Like it or not, Eminem is the reason millions of white people started to respect rap.

I actually think Eminem Show ages the least, although he did still do shock and pop culture reference TES it was mostly solid content

When SSLP and MMLP where like a lot shock and pop culture references which makes it age imo

I feel like stupid Keith Olberman really muddied the waters on this thing. Obviously other rappers and artists across all media have criticized Trump. What's so interesting about this is that he criticized his own fans for supporting Trump. I don't see a lot of other entertainers taking it to the extreme like that.

What are you on about mate?

The other chap is spot on; on the one hand she's championing him as the best rapper alive and then later on ridicules the content of his songs? She obviously didn't have an issue with his lyrics before but now sees fit to draw attention to them.

It doesn't 'look stupid' at all to me. It's a burn.

Yea, you’re doing God’s work sticking up for that human trash bag. Very noble.

🙄

I don't care about the individual involved, only that that this picture's attempt to prove its point is very flimsy.

I've always thought the same thing about Eminem. It's not uncommon at all to hold both of those beliefs about him. This picture would get across its point much more strongly if she was sticking up for how great of a person Em is in a past tweet, and then showed that current tweet.

8byte

Banned
I don't care about the individual involved, only that that this picture's attempt to prove its point is very flimsy.

I've always thought the same thing about Eminem. It's not uncommon at all to hold both of those beliefs about him. This picture would get across its point much more strongly if she was sticking up for how great of a person Em is in a past tweet, and then showed that current tweet.

If you believe she’s really digging that deep into her analysis of hip hop, you’re being foolish.

I’d put $100 on her owning and / or listening to every Eminem album he’s released.

If you believe she's really digging that deep into her analysis of hip hop, you're being foolish.

I'd put $100 on her owning and / or listening to every Eminem album he's released.

It's not deep. From what I've known, it's very common to hold both those opinions about Eminem, even way before this. Whatever her actual intentions are is irrelevant when it isn't even shown by context that the image provides.

I'm all for these kind of pictures, it just when people start spreading around certain images that can easily be torn down is when I'd rather it not happen. It doesn't really help in regards to convincing undecided people of the hypocrisy that the image is trying to get across. Which is what I always assumed could actually be productive about these pictures, aside from just getting a laugh out of them.

RocBase

Yeah, this to a T. I'm pretty neutral in regards to Em, but I do respect and appreciate what he's doing here and has done to try and address the issue. This problem has less to do with him and more to do with people being frustratingly (or wilfully) obtuse. It's annoying seeing these people go above and beyond to give Em accolades for shit black rappers been doing since the damn inception of hiphop, all the while taking shots at them:

"why aren't black rappers going against trump???"

"why aren't they talking about the racial injustices that's happened?"

???? like WHAT.

Nevermind that some black artists have gone against Trump, but Em even explains why there is a reluctance among black artists to target Trump specifically in the very cypher these guys just listened to and hallmarked.

jetsetrez

I can't believe Eminem's cypher might get more views that the first real trailer for the new Star Wars movie. That's amazing.

TraBuch

Banned
There's a guy on YouTube that made a video asking if Eminem was replaced with a clone.

I desperately hope this is the direction Trump supporters go in.

jetsetrez

Why end "we love our military"? That mentality is so strange as a European.
So other dumb ass Americans realize his message is entirely about Trump and that they can't turn it around and say he's against the military or the country by protesting the president. Dumb ass Republicans use the military as a way to silence any actual substantive criticism or speech. Look at how it's constantly used to undermine NFL players who are taking a knee for real issues that have nothing to do with the military.

8byte

Banned
It's not deep. From what I've known, it's very common to hold both those opinions about Eminem, even way before this. Whatever her actual intentions are is irrelevant when it isn't even shown by context that the image provides.

I'm all for these kind of pictures, it just when people start spreading around certain images that can easily be torn down is when I'd rather it not happen. It doesn't really help in regards to convincing undecided people of the hypocrisy that the image is trying to get across. Which is what I always assumed could actually be productive about these pictures, aside from just getting a laugh out of them.

Yet you're literally defending someone out of context. What do you know about this person, other than you came in a thread, read a few sentences, and then decided to pick apart the semantics of a few tweets?

She's 100% back pedaling and being a hypocrite, and this isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time. She's a fan (or was?).

Just. Stop. Seriously, it's absolutely stupid to get into these mental gymnastics, trying to flex on people randomly in forums because you think you've got this great handle on semantics and sentence structure. She's a piece of garbage, and she'll say anything to rile up her base and get more people to pay attention to her so she stays relevant. She's gunning for a position with a major news network, just like Tomi Lahren and the rest of their ilk. You playing their little game doesn't help shit. Just. Stop.

You know who doesn't rap about assaulting his wife?

You'd think that would give Kenny the edge over Eminem for greatest lyricist alive, since she apparently doesn't approve of such lyrics after Em said fuck her for being a Trump supporter.

Fuck the silly derailment though. What really irks me is the idea that Marshall Mathers is actually a greater rapper and lyricist than Kendrick Lamar Duckworth in 2017, gtfoh

it's like saying Lebron isn't greater than Larry Bird

TraBuch

Banned

You'd think that would give Kenny the edge over Eminem for greatest lyricist alive, since she apparently doesn't approve of such lyrics after Em said fuck her for being a Trump supporter.

Fuck the silly derailment though. What really irks me is the idea that Marshall Mathers is actually a greater rapper and lyricist than Kendrick Lamar Duckworth in 2017, gtfoh

Naw, he prefers to support artists that actually do it.

Erv

what the hell are you saying

Rmagnus

Banned

Lol missing the damn point. Oh this rapper is not as great as this other rapper that I like.. in a thread about Trump getting his nuts kicked in.

The reason I find the freestyle notable is because it's a rebuke of a sizeable portion of his fans who, let's face it, wouldn't touch rap with a ten foot pole if they didn't have a white buoy like Eminem to cling to. It also has some bars in it.

Rmagnus

Banned
The reason I find the freestyle notable is because it's a rebuke of a sizeable portion of his fans who, let's face it, wouldn't touch rap with a ten foot pole if they didn't have a white buoy like Eminem to cling to. It also has some bars in it.

And to them his fans to piss off if they are with Trump was good to hear. Haven't been listening to him after some slinky song thing he did with that horrible accent but hey if his new album is as intense as this freestyle I am gonna get it.
Doesn't matter if it's a white person or a black person. More people need to put Trump down and constantly show him as the orange scumbag that he is.

Top Bottom