• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emmanuel Macron refuses any renegociations of the Paris accord

Mimosa97

The part about never turning their back on America is particularly important. Without the French, there would most likely not be an America. Funny how easy people forget that.

Sadly since the Iraq war we've only been " those cheese eating surrendering monkeys " to most americans. How dare we not follow america in its illegal war against a country that had nothing to do with 9/11.

Brunire

I am liking this guy more and more.

Translation:
Emmanuel Macron also invited American scientists and entrepreneurs to come work in France. "To all the scientists, entrepreneurs, engaged citicizens that were disappointed by the US president's decision," he assured them that they would "in France, find a second nation." "I am calling you: come work here, with us, on concrete solutions about climate," he added. "Tonight, America has turned its back on America, but France will never turn its back on Americans," Emmanuel Macron added.​

Daaaaamn

Damn, son. I just got the tingles.

Translation:
Emmanuel Macron also invited American scientists and entrepreneurs to come work in France. "To all the scientists, entrepreneurs, engaged citicizens that were disappointed by the US president's decision," he assured them that they would "in France, find a second nation." "I am calling you: come work here, with us, on concrete solutions about climate," he added. "Tonight, America has turned its back on America, but France will never turn its back on Americans," Emmanuel Macron added.​

Daaaaamn

giphy.gif

I have no idea what his presidency is going to ultimately lead to, but this guy really has balls of steel. I mean, first he out alphas Trump on his trip, then he makes a video telling the US directly that he wants their best in France, and now he's just like, fuck that, we aren't making no deals. I'm just waiting for him to just flat out say, 'Fuck Donald Trump' and drop the mic.

It's not that hard (or brave) to be the thousandth millionth politician to criticize donald trump

Translation:

Daaaaamn
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9XzaoHkV-Q

Translation:

Daaaaamn

I love him. Thank you Macron.

Christian

So, what's the story with this guy? I, regrettably, don't know a ton about him. Is he actually a good dude, or is he just a significant improvement over Le Pen and Trump? Who isn't?

Apologies for trying to hijack this thread, and let me know if isn't allowed, but I've got a question.

American's (as a whole), do you feel that over the next 4 years (at least) of Trump,...Trumping his way through diplomacy, and being globally derided for it. Do you believe that over the years there will be a resentment grow from people who don't support Trump but are sick of America bashing?

I could see something like this happening and Trump using it to help his re-election chances. He could hold himself up as standing up, not against wall st this time, but against the rest of the world as they try and bully him.

For the record this is an Aussie asking this who loves your country.

Christian

Apologies for trying to hijack this thread, and let me know if isn't allowed, but I've got a question.

American (as a whole), do you feel that over the next 4 years (at least) of Trump,...Trumping his way through diplomacy, and being globally derided for it. Do you believe that over the years there will be a resentment grow from people who don't support Trump but are sick of America bashing?

I could see something like this happening and Trump using it to help his re-election chances. He could hold himself up as standing up, not against wall st this time, but against the rest of the world as they try and bully him.

We deserve all the bashing we get. I really want to move my family to Europe or Canada, but I don't want to leave my mother and my wife doesn't want to leave her parents yet, either. It's an awful situation to be in. But we put ourselves in this mess, and we have to deal with the consequences.

It's probably easier to learn than English.

If you're fluent in Chinese and English, I see no reason why French would be much trouble.

If you got Chinese down, I can't imagine French would be that hard for you. They aren't similar, but Chinese is a pretty complex and hard to learn language I think.

Learning French is easier than Chinese if you already know English since they're both Indo-European and English takes a huge amount from French.

If you managed to learn chinese, French wouldn't be too hard.
May the Force be with you > Que la Force soit avec toi. You see, same structure !
That's all you need to know !

That's actually a bad example. It's a bit harder than this :p

I did Duolingo, which took about 8 months, and then I read a couple of kids books and started reading the news in French, and I can understand the news perfectly (I understood every word in the article in the OP). I still suck at reading regular books, but I'm learning. It took about a year and a half to get to this level.

Easier than Chinese I'm sure. But that might be my biased, eurocentric (and uh, francophone) self speaking. Maybe about the same as learning German?

Nah, not this. I say this as a native French speaker. French has more complicated sentence structures, arbitrary gendered nouns, and tons of grammatical exceptions compared to English. Its pronunciation is generally more consistent though.

Wow, that's impressive, I guess Duolingo does work pretty well!

German structure will be more familiar. French isn't too bad, and it'd make Spanish easier to learn afterwards. Probably.

Haha, thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't expecting that big a response :)

To be exact, Chinese is my mother tongue but I'm mainly speaking in English. So I'll be basing the difficulty of learning new language with it. Currently studying Aerospace, haven't decided where to go afterwards other than "not US or U.K. If possible"

American's (as a whole), do you feel that over the next 4 years (at least) of Trump,...Trumping his way through diplomacy, and being globally derided for it. Do you believe that over the years there will be a resentment grow from people who don't support Trump but are sick of America bashing?

So far leaders have been very careful to criticize Trump and his decisions. Not Americans as a whole. Both Merkel and Macron have been careful with their wording.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So, what's the story with this guy? I, regrettably, don't know a ton about him. Is he actually a good dude, or is he just a significant improvement over Le Pen and Trump? Who isn't?
Good dude. An Obama with a different background (more around economy than law).

If he needed a nudge, though, one came from France over the weekend. Macron was quoted in a French journal talking about his white-knuckled handshake with Trump at their first meeting in Brussels, where the newly elected French president gripped Trump’s hand tightly and would not let go for six long seconds in a show of alpha-male fortitude.

“My handshake was not innocent,” Macron said. He likened Trump to a pair of authoritarian strongmen — Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan — and said that he was purposefully forceful because he believed his encounter with Trump was “a moment of truth.”

Hearing smack-talk from the Frenchman 31 years his junior irritated and bewildered Trump, aides said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...24ad94170ab_story.html?utm_term=.28d8ab63207d

Nokterian

To me macron really shows on how to be a president..our dutch leaders namely Rutte? Biggest hypocrites you could think off..

The part about never turning their back on America is particularly important. Without the French, there would most likely not be an America. Funny how easy people forget that.

To be fair here, France was also ready to turn its back on America by supporting the Confederacy.

Just so we're clear.

EDIT: But our neighbors south of the border made sure France wouldn't do it. And that's why everyone in America should celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

Nasbin

What's depressing to me is that America might never be seen as trustworthy again in my lifetime. Even if Trump is ousted in 2020, there's a permanent asterisk next to our country now that we could ever elect a man like this. How can the world place faith in a country where 40% of the population has so willingly bought into self-deception over the most fundamental notions of truth?

My hope is we get through this shit without a catastrophic collapse of the world order and Trump's contribution to humanity will have been acting as the vaccine that inspired Europe to finally unite. The anglosphere has clearly demonstrated that it's lost its fucking mind; drunk off xenophobia and narcissism it has determined to shoot itself in the head. It's now up to France and Germany to repair the EU and vanguard liberal democratic values for the coming decades. Godspeed, Mr. Macron.

Kevtones

Sanction us world. Cease purchasing all non-green energy products from us.

We need it. We need your help.

- Apologetic American

Van Bur3n

Translation:

Daaaaamn

Fucking truth.

Alx

Also, French shouldn't be too hard to learn if you're fluent in English and Spanish...right?

Yes Spanish is a good starting point, French is quite close on vocabulary and general syntax, only it has a sillier grammar full of rules, counter-rules and exceptions. Speaking flawless French is hard (I'm pretty sure nobody can, actually :p), but being functional when you know a latin language should be easy enough.

sphagnum

Banned
What's depressing to me is that America might never be seen as trustworthy again in my lifetime. Even if Trump is ousted in 2020, there's a permanent asterisk next to our country now that we could ever elect a man like this. How can the world place faith in a country where 40% of the population has so willingly bought into self-deception over the most fundamental notions of truth?

Germany elected Hitler.

danthefan

He's been in power for about 5 minutes. Good campaign and good early promise but the jury is still out.

Herne

When I was in secondary school, we had three language options - French, German and Spanish (actually we also had Italian and Greek, but nobody took those). Apparently it was known that German was the hardest to learn, Spanish the easiest and French is somewhere in the middle. So I think that guy was right when he said middle of the road.

Nasbin

Germany elected Hitler.

Yes, and it took the most devastating war the world has ever seen and a decades long reconstruction effort to get us to a place where the name Hitler is reviled nowhere more. Even if Trump is crushed in 2020, a huge portion of the country has have been lost to years of systemic propaganda that denies the most basic facts about reality. That doesn't go away overnight.

Translation:

Daaaaamn

This man makes my booty sweat.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Dear Americans,

The netherlands has a very real shortage of IT people. Move here and be one of us. you'll get 30% tax free income if you score your job while still living abroad. Shit my company desperately needs people, if you're willing to move and are not garbage in IT, there's your easy ticket.

All that 'but I don't speak the language' stress of France and Germany doesn't really apply here, at least for the first few years.

Macron is inviting scientists and engineers but many are making over $100,000/year in the USA, sometimes with lower taxes compared to France. France should put their money where their mouth is and offer competitive relocation and subsidy benefits to STEM career professionals if they're m serious about attracting them there long-term.
Why should the French government (And people) subsidies lifestyle of super rich people?
You already have subsidised healthcare and higher education over here.
It's paid by taxes that are a little bit higher but not that much.

You are behaving like those huge corporations that ask for subsidies and they threaten to leave if everyone doesn't bend over your way.

Top Bottom